• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Trailer, game will be 60 fps

farmerboy

Every now and then you see a trailer that just instantly hooks you into the game.

This is it. Pretty much nothing is stopping me from getting this.

Though I have a sneaking suspicion that the movie and it's trailer are generating a lot of goodwill that is overflowing to the game.

BUT I DON'T CARE. I'm getting it.

p3tran

Banned
well i mean if thats your idea of being close, then we just view things differently. you are comparing to the top most of the 2 bf4 videos right?

"close" regarding the game, they are.
but very "close" regarding the quality of post effects, I dont think even pc ultra video manages that.

the point is, all of us try to figure out how the game will look like. these three videos give a nice example.

Right....right at the end after the playstation logo, on the trademark screen.

During the actual video of star wars stuff it says clearly "Game Engine Footage."

No one would be confused at all. That's why they did it clear like that!

"EA Presents"
"A DICE game"
RwW5xJq.png

vs end of video, past a few splash screens:

PGJDugu.png

No wonder everyone is clear on things.
It is game engine footage. It's the same engine that they use for the game.
I don't understand how an experienced gaffer could be fooled by this.

It's the same "trick" every time

p3tran

Banned

correct, and I think many people loose the point here.. the point should be:

"hey guys, look at this! we went and captured every fuckin' thing of starwars movies we could,
and we put it in our engine that we create starwars shooter game for you.
here, take a look how we digitalized some of your favorite things ever:"

so, with this being the message, I am happy for what I saw.

Skyzard

Banned

I've read so many posts in various recent battlefront threads hoping the graphics are real, I've no doubt the "Game Engine Footage" is mostly responsible. "Oh it's going to be 60fps? Graphics were fake confirmed," or something to that effect.

With millions of views already a lot of people are going to have some warped expectations.

They'd assume game engine means they are using the similar graphical settings as there will be for gameplay, as opposed to them changing the graphical settings (in-engine) specifically for the trailer and misleading them.

Some will fall for the same trick every time, hopeful I guess :p

Woo-Fu

Banned
It is really very simple: If gameplay looked as good as their in-engine cutscene they would have shown gameplay. It would have been a bombshell instead of skeptic food.

koopacopa

Banned
It is really very simple: If gameplay looked as good as their in-engine cutscene they would have shown gameplay. It would have been a bombshell instead of skeptic food.

Gameplay looks less compelling than in engine "theatrical" footage. Always. And considering this was timed to line up with the movie teaser, well your argument holds little weight with me at least.

Kssio_Aug

We are running in circles here. If people want to believe they're gonna release it for PS4/XB1 with the same IQ of that trailer that's ok, but I'm mostly certain you will get disappinted.

The "engine footage" is well known by not meaning the same quality as gameplay by a long time now. DICE is not promising the same IQ, this is just a promotional trailer presenting the game environments and models.

When you say the Uncharted 4 E3 trailer was bullshit what do you mean exactly? Are you saying that it didn't deliver on the graphics because we were shown pre-alpha gameplay footage that didn't look exactly like the E3 trailer? This is from the in engine trailer of The Order 1886. This was the pre-alpha gameplay. And this was the final build. Infamous was pretty much the exact same way.

So why are calling bullshit on Uncharted 4 when we are no where near the final build? I wouldn't be surprised if that's why we aren't being shown Battlefront gameplay yet to be honest. Because then people would be complaining about downgrades that don't even exist, kinda like the claim you just made saying there's already been 1 downgrade.

THIS

Actutally the PSN preorder page says 720p, at least here in italy https://store.playstation.com/#!/it-it/giochi/star-wars-battlefront-standard-edition/cid=EP0006-CUSA00634_00-SWBSTANDARDPREOR

I don't know if it's reliable

Placeholder. Simple as that

Rising_Hei

Cool, another Battlefield mod, colour me dissapointed, this just has hype because it's of Star Wars, but nothing could make me think that this is not just another BF skin :/

I don't care sh** about the visuals, all i care about is about the game, but this isn't trying anything new...

I hope for more than 720p on XboxOne... its about damn time that this Engine gets more improvements for both consoles.
It's 720p on ONE because 60 fps + referred lightning engine, no matter how much they improve the engine, they can't add silicon to a console :)

Aces&Eights

I'm a huge Star Wars fanboy. Hell, my real name is Luke and I was born in the early 70s for fucks sake and even I know that the final game, on ps4, will not look like anything we watched in that trailer ESPECIALLY if it's running at 60fps.

I'm hoping the game is good but...we've all been down this road before. Let's wait for actual gameplay before losing our minds.

Cool, another Battlefield mod, colour me dissapointed, this just has hype because it's of Star Wars, but nothing could make me think that this is not just another BF skin :/

I don't care sh** about the visuals, all i care about is about the game, but this isn't trying anything new...
I take it you didn't play the first two games.

Aces&Eights

People will still call bullshit on it and be skeptical. It doesn't matter.

Not necessarily. If they showed a MP match that had people's handles above their heads just like in every other game, playing out with a match timer, HUD, etc and backed the camera off to show someone sitting at a ps4 while also showing the monitor AND it looked just like what we saw then I, for one, would be all aboard the choo-choo and would pre order it immediately.

Tubie

It's 720p on ONE because 60 fps + referred lightning engine, no matter how much they improve the engine, they can't add silicon to a console :)

A Battlefield mod? So the original 2 Battlefronts were Battlefield mods too right?

b0bbyJ03

has there been any word on whether we will be getting any of the gameplay footage that DICE has been showing attendees of the SWC? I would love to see this thing running.

correct, and I think many people loose the point here.. the point should be:

"hey guys, look at this! we went and captured every fuckin' thing of starwars movies we could,
and we put it in our engine that we create starwars shooter game for you.
here, take a look how we digitalized some of your favorite things ever:"

so, with this being the message, I am happy for what I saw.
Yep. And with trailers and cutscenes not being interactive or dynamic, they can (and will) focus more on making them look better in terms of lighting, anti aliassing, etc. They can direct them as they please.

But i have no doubt the game will look pretty great. As will Uncharted 4.

Nzyme32

Pretty much what I would say to the people that think this is what actual gameplay would look like.

Lets face it - if this was in game footage, they would scream it from the roof tops and describe it specifically as such.

Lanrutcon

Is that 60fps while standing in a wood, or 60fps while 40 people are duking it out?

Love to see how the console versions perform in the heat of battle.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
i expect the same thing from dice everytime. their lousy coders doing a bang up job at ruining the great work done by their designers. bf4 designers working with COD coders would be sick.
CoD isn't very ambitious, from a design standpoint. 40 players instead of 64 might indicate that they're pushing up against some hardware limitations.

i-Lo

I have my doubts especially if it's meant to look as good as that.

I recently started playing DA Inquisition and even at 30fps, the game (based on Frostbite iirc) looks nowhere as fantastic as the trailer shown.

SaberEdge

The first Battlefront shots look like near CGI. The new screens look like near Battlefield 4.

So, which is it? People are claiming the new footage looks way too good and isn't achievable on current hardware. But now it supposedly doesn't look much better than Battlefield 4?

Surely if it looks so close to Battlefield 4 it should be easily achievable, right?

CoD isn't very ambitious, from a design standpoint. 40 players instead of 64 might indicate that they're pushing up against some hardware limitations.

Likely so because of how much better Battlefield 4 ran at 48 players compared to 64.

Its the textures and lighting that make this game look so much better than Battlefield 4. PBR and Photogrammery are really "next"-gen.

SaberEdge

bertstare.jpg

iWlcsQTQi7nxU.png

swbf_newsmedia_headerixj98.jpg

WRT bf4, i guess cutting out half the light sources, reducing the quality of lights remaining, simplifying the precomputed GI, axing all the reactive particles, removing all of the reflections, removing the water on the floor, downgrading the shaders on the ocean, and reducing the geometry of the level cant be conclusively called a downgrade

Stating something is easy, actually substantiating it is another thing altogether.

It's also easy to cherrypick screenshots, but comparing two very different areas doesn't prove anything. That's a terrible comparison.

As far as the Battlefield 4 thing, don't you think you are blowing it a little out of proportion? Downgrade or not, Battlefield 4 still managed to compete with Crysis 3 for the title of best-looking shooter on PC. That's no small accomplishment.

And, yeah, when I watched the two videos at 3 or 4am my sleep deprived brain didn't notice any significant differences. If you or others have gone over it with a fine-toothed comb and documented changes or downgrades, that's great. I doubt, though, if you put those videos in front of 1,000 random longtime gamers that many of them would tell you one looks substantially better than the other.

Stating something is easy, actually substantiating it is another thing altogether.

It's also easy to cherrypick screenshots, but comparing two very different areas doesn't prove anything. That's a terrible comparison.

As far as the Battlefield 4 thing, don't you think you are blowing it a little out of proportion? Downgrade or not, Battlefield 4 still managed to compete with Crysis 3 for the title of best-looking shooter on PC. That's no small accomplishment.

And, yeah, when I watched the two videos at 3 or 4am my sleep deprived brain didn't notice any significant differences. If you or others have gone over it with a fine-toothed comb and documented changes or downgrades, that's great. I doubt, though, if you put those videos in front of 1,000 random longtime gamers that many of them would tell you one looks substantially better than the other.

the screens are from the exact same environment, theres nothing to cherry pick. the difference is several orders of magnitude.

k. im sure you could find people who think killzone 2 matched up to that 2005 cg trailer as well. doesnt change the facts. and battlefield 4 does not compete with crysis 3 from a graphics standpoint.

DOWN

Banned
So, which is it? People are claiming the new footage looks way too good and isn't achievable on current hardware. But now it supposedly doesn't look much better than Battlefield 4?

Surely if it looks so close to Battlefield 4 it should be easily achievable, right?

Okay, now we're muddling it a bit. They've released screenshots and they've released footage. The screenshots currently look more like BF4 than their first near-CGI teases.

The footage, however, looks quite similar to the teasers (minor changes from non-gameplay footage to begin with) which has a lot of processing and effects to smooth it into that blurry space of CGI looks. The trailers look absolutely unattainable on consoles by far, making dev comments about it 'really looking like that' and 'on all platforms' and 'representative of PS4' seem to be setups for disappointment.

So the trailer and comments by DICE on it seem totally over the top, but the new screenshots don't seem near as unattainable, though typical bullshot issues are expected.

q8DVfAL.gif

please log off

robgrab

I'm at Star Wars Celebration standing in line outside the EA booth waiting to watch the 7 minute gameplay demo. I need to see if those graphics are for real.

Top Bottom