• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Trailer, game will be 60 fps

I've been gaming long enough not to expect it to look exactly like that and also not expect it to be a locked 60. But it looks like Battlefield and Star Wars and I kinda love both those things even if I didn't really fuck with Hardline. Some of you ladies and gents are party poopers.

Skyzard

Banned
I am party pooping but for good reason - fuck deceptive marketing.

I still can't wait to play and I can imagine the gameplay being really awesome, but fuck dirty word tricks like that (technically correct, but bullshit implication) they knew exactly what most people would think.

I still can't wait to play and I can imagine the gameplay being really awesome, but fuck dirty word tricks like that.

But it hasn't? All we were told was that was the target render for PS4 through in-engine assets and that they are aiming for 60fps.

We can't say anything about the actual game until we see it.

Edit: Really skeptical of that being really close to what we'll see console-wise for what that's worth.

I still can't wait to play and I can imagine the gameplay being really awesome, but fuck dirty word tricks like that (technically correct, but bullshit implication) they knew exactly what most people would think.

I get it, and I am taking for granted that we know better. This is going to sell like crazy to the average Joan and Joe and they don't know enough to be skeptical.

So does this game have a classic single player story mode or just an online PVP game?

It better have a single player story mode or I will be pissed

Lakitu

st5fu
So does this game have a classic single player story mode or just an online PVP game?

Single-player missions with bots and I assume they take place on multiplayer maps. I don't know for sure though.

The extent of single player are some co-op styled missions you can play solo/offline if you want.

Battlefront has never really had a single player campaign for one to be deemed "classic"...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Some of you lot are falling for their marketing.

"in-engine"

...at non-gameplay graphical settings - pumping out 1 frame per minute, edited into a video.

Just because it's not going to look like asteroids and probably won't be worse than BF4, doesn't mean you should get hopes up in any way for graphics like the trailer makes you think. It was basically movie quality.

It'll be alright.
The Infiltration demo looked better, so it's not impossible on a high end PC.

Skyzard

Banned
The Infiltration demo looked better, so it's not impossible on a high end PC.

That's the same thing though, "in-engine" technical bullshit. It's showing off what the engine can do, not what it looks like on top end consumer pc hardware running at anywhere near a decent framerate.

Have they released it for us to run and test? Nope. 2 years old.

But it hasn't? All we were told was that was the target render for PS4 through in-engine assets and that they are aiming for 60fps.

We can't say anything about the actual game until we see it.

Edit: Really skeptical of that being really close to what we'll see console-wise for what that's worth.

It definitely was not the target. More like very, very distant rough approximation, aka bullshit.

Mayyhem

It looks like they are going to bloody nail it. I'm beyond hyped. I know this is in-engine all, but I'm just happy they seem to have nailed the overall feel visually

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I got chills guys...Just rampant chills everywhere

Also

529172_1.jpg

Guess that answers that. EA trying to get back into Sony's good graces

But I answered that months ago

barit

I still can't wait to play and I can imagine the gameplay being really awesome, but fuck dirty word tricks like that, they knew exactly what most people would think.

Yeah you're right. This event felt pretty much like every other event with marketing hype behind it which we saw so many times before. If DICE would be really confident in their game they would've showed gameplay last night (like Naughty Dog). Heck, even 5 min. of it just to shut up everyone and saying "yes it looks that good!". I can guarantee you all that the final game will not have this clean IQ (on consoles at least) and there will be jiggis and flackering shadows and lowres textures in the corners!

4thman

Neo Member
Have Dice's games ever not been representative of thier trailers? seems like the game will look like this footage.....how it plays though is another story....

Fredrik

Maybe DICE isnt BSing and the trailer is exactly what the game looks like.

The game is letterboxed like the trailer and thats how they are getting the FPS where it needs to be while still looking good.

BF4 was a decent looking game and 60fps. I can see this looking a step above that if they keep the same 720p/900p resolution on consoles and with 20 less players to worry about. And less destruction. Plus the various engine optimisations and console SDK and driver updates since then. It should look pretty nice.
Yup I have faith in them, it's DICE after all, they have plenty of awesome looking 60fps titles in their portfolio. And after seeing what the PS4 is capable of in The Order 1886 I have no doubt that this could be in-engine, it might not be gameplay but even with scaled down graphical fidelity during gameplay sections it should look fantastic. I usually just go for multiplatform titles on PC by default nowadays but 60fps on consoles makes me want this on console instead just to vote with my wallet on how I want console gaming to evolve.

Some things to remember when comparing BF4 and SWBF.

- BF4 was a cross gen title rushed for console launch, Hardline was a lower budget title. Personally I don't feel either make for good comparisons.

- While not 100% confirmed it seems that, at least partially, destruction will be absent from SWBF. BF4 had multiple levels of destruction depending on the map. Including Structure Destruction(Walls, and entire buildings), Terrain Destruction(roads trees etc), Levolution, and MicroDestruction.

- 40 players is a 24 player drop. I'm not sure what that would save power wise, but the simple fact that less players = less vehicles should account for something.

So Vader is a playable character...?

Awwww yeeeaaahhh! I wish they would make a stand alone Vader game where it's all about him, and you play against the alliance. Would be so awesome.

skelekey

I don't really care what it looks like because I know it will look great regardless. But that trailer showed more than just graphics. It showed very involving Large scale battles with many of the things I love about Star Wars. They seem to have nailed the feel and that is what I'm excited about.

4thman

Neo Member
The sound alone in this game will be Epic!! All those blasters, the Tie Fighters, AT-AT's...etc...
Which do you guys would be the version to get regarding player community....PS4 or XB1?

Skyzard

Banned
BF4 looks great, just not anywhere near this level.
It's certainly possible for it to look better than BF4, but just not possible to be this good.

The explosions are ridiculous, the particles are insane. The motion blur is movie level, so is the lighting and some of the detail. Those things have massive effects on how it looks.

It will look good, I've no doubt and everyone is going to get it and a lot will probably think it'll look comparable (when you play yourself you won't notice the details as much) but it won't actually be close. Not close enough for me to find saying this is the target acceptable anyway.

Afrikan

Am i in the minority when I say that BF4 looked amazing on the ps4 for a launch title?

Still looks amazing...I just fired it up recently to test my new lossless headphones.

This is why I expect DICE to come through with the visuals for this game.

I mean they were able to make the Beautiful Mirrors Edge with effin Unreal Brown Engine 3.

I can't really understand why/how some would doubt them when it comes to visuals. They had huge environments in Battlefield 4 that had a high player count, destructable sections, and 60fps...all while having all types of vehicles driving and flying around destroying shit.

Skyzard

Banned
Explosions are not CG like, look again at the trailer. Except the one when ATAT falls the other are in the norme

Not as quite as good as movies, true, but still really damn good, not just the fire alone but with the particles (and the smoke).

Way too much going on for me to believe they ever thought this was going to be possible.

SaberEdge

"in-engine"

...at non-gameplay graphical settings - pumping out 1 frame per minute, edited into a video.

Just because it's not going to look like asteroids and probably won't be worse than BF4, doesn't mean you should get hopes up in any way for graphics like the trailer makes you think. It was basically movie quality.

It'll be alright.

I'm sorry, I just don't agree. It's not about falling for marketing, it's about using common sense and logical inference.

I don't think anybody expects it to have the kind of image quality and animations we see in the trailer. But, at the same time, I hugely doubt that it will look vastly different the way some of you seem to believe.

Please show me the last time a developer showed off an in-engine trailer only months before a game's release and claimed it was indicative of how the game really looks...only for the game to turn out to look vastly different. Please do. Because that's never happened as far as I'm aware, and even if it has happened it would be the extreme exception not the rule.

Battlefield 4 is still one of the very best looking shooters I've played on my PC and that was a cross gen game on an older version of the Frostbite engine. I think the addition of physically based rendering and photogrammetry alone will result in a game that easily looks significantly better than Battlefield 4. That would put the visuals at least fairly close to the level being suggested by the trailer.

I think the PC version at maxed settings will look pretty similar to the trailer (minus the cinematic flair), while the console versions will be a rougher approximation of that.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm sorry, I just don't agree. It's not about falling for marketing, it's about using common sense and logical inference.

I don't think anybody expects it to have the kind of image quality and animations we see in the trailer. But, at the same time, I hugely doubt that it will look vastly different the way some of you seem to believe.

Please show me the last time a developer showed off an in-engine trailer only months before a game's release and claimed it was indicative of how the game really looks...only for the game to turn out to look vastly different. Please do. Because that's never happened as far as I'm aware, and even if it has happened it would be the extreme exception not the rule.

Battlefield 4 is still one of the very best looking shooters I've played on my PC and that was a cross gen game on an older version of the Frostbite engine. I think the addition of physically based rendering and photogrammetry alone will result in a game that easily looks significantly better than Battlefield 4. That would put the visuals at least fairly close to the level being suggested by the trailer.

I think the PC version at maxed settings will look pretty similar to the trailer (minus the cinematic flair), while the console versions will be a rougher approximation of that.

It shouldn't be up to consumers to have to rough-estimate what percentage of bullshit was used in a video based on their own experiences. The fault for not knowing that isn't on them.

Almost 4 million views already. You see a bunch wondering even here if it's just different camera angles, or believing Dice employees, or just super excited by the graphics.

People who have common sense but not necessarily computer savvy/familiar with the bs, are supposed to know just how much they are exaggerating with a title slated for future release? No way. Unreasonable.

Nor should they be expected to know the difference between game engine footage and actual gameplay quality in a marketing trailer for general public.

"Vastly different" and "fairly close" depends on how much you can notice, and it changes between people but in actuality it's not going to be. All the settings are going to dropped down significantly.

If that was a PC setting - "Max" the actual max possible graphics that would run decently on top-end would be like medium.

People are saying they're claiming this is a damn PS4 target render, with some involved saying yeah that's how it looks, for real!

Deception.

Just placing that seed of doubt is wrong: "yeah...it probably won't look this good." They're gaining off that and a lot of it has to do with saying this is in-engine (actually, they say "Game Engine Footage," which is worse).

If it's anything else, they ought to have to say Not Actual Gameplay.
-lol, they do, right at the fucking end after the playstation logo, with the other trademark crap, in small text.

dark souls 2
watch dogs
killzone 2
bf 4

Wil348

"in-engine"

It'll be alright.

I'm pretty sure that sensible people aren't getting their hopes up for it to look like the trailer. In fact, unless DICE somehow inherit the power of God now, I highly doubt it. The game will probably look very good, but even that's an understatement. For now, it's mainly just the gameplay that I'm interested in though.

Well.. The trailer has the amount and quality of motion blur you'd expect from 30fps. For starters, I don't think that's going to stay the same in a 60fps game.

Maybe the game is 24:9 like this trailer, the Order style, and this helped freeing resources for dem graphics?

Regardless, BF4 looked great, especially for a cross platform launch game (still does) and I'm sure this will look absolutely spectacular.

This, and them announcing commitment to 60fps across all platforms so early, for some reason has me thinking they might be achieving that with some kind of natural flow effect akin to that used in most modern TV's. Just a feeling.

I remember a Star Wars developer working on Force Unleashed (I think) talking about some amazing technique they had for creating the feel of 60fps with a 30fps game. I have no idea what happened to that, but it certainly sounded like frame creation/interpolation.

Jonm1010

Banned
Really cool trailer but I think no fucking way it will look like that on PS4.
Of course it won't. Bullshot trailers are the new norm and yet people still hold out hope every time.

Expect lower textures, more aliasing, certain graphical effects lowered etc.

I frankly doubt even the PC version matches this. Maybe a duel Titan X system downsampling the image might come close.

I mean ask yourself this, if it was honestly going to look that good in-game on console, why not show a small snippet of it? It would send the Internet into a frenzy.

Doesn't the trailer basicly end with the words: this was not actional gameplay?
Yes it does.

Looks Watchdogs-esque to me. As in the end result will look similar minus the incredible lighting and particles, which won't even make it into the PC Ultra setting.

No way will this run at 60 fps on consoles. It will be marketed as such of course but in reality will run between 40 and 55 fps as usual.

SaberEdge

dark souls 2
watch dogs
killzone 2
bf 4

Nope, the original Watch Dogs demo was shown way before the game came out (and the final game was downgraded relative to that footage). But the footage for over a year and a half before the game came out was completely representative of the final look of the game. And they weren't showing off some supposedly fake in-engine cinematic trailer only half a year before release and swearing that's how the game really looked. So, no, Watch Dogs wasn't the same situation at all.

Dark Souls 2 was definitely downgraded, but, as far as I know, From Software weren't shouting from the rooftops how great their game looked and how it looks just as good as the trailers. But this would be the most similar example I can think of, and even then the circumstances are quite different.

Killzone Shadow Fall and Battlefield 4 were not downgraded. They looked just as good as their trailers as far as I am aware.

eso76

I remember a Star Wars developer working on Force Unleashed (I think) talking about some amazing technique they had for creating the feel of 60fps with a 30fps game. I have no idea what happened to that, but it certainly sounded like frame creation/interpolation.

Yeah, I posted the link earlier.
At first i thought it was EA itself, but it was actually Lucasart.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-force-unleashed-60fps-tech-article

I don't know, like i said earlier i just though committing to 60fps this soon, across all platforms, in a game designed to require such visual fidelity is a rather bold move, unless 60fps come basically for free via some kind of interpolation trick.

Then again, DICE Always targeted 60fps for BF4 too, so..

Nope, the original Watch Dogs demo was shown way before the game came out (and the final game was downgraded relative to that footage). But the footage for over a year and a half before the game came out was completely representative of the final look of the game. And they weren't showing off some supposedly fake in-engine cinematic trailer only half a year before release and swearing that's how the game really looked. So, no, Watch Dogs wasn't the same situation at all.

Dark Souls 2 was definitely downgraded, but, as far as I know, From Software weren't shouting from the rooftops how great their game looked and how it looks just as good as the trailers. But this would be the most similar example I can think of, and even then the circumstances are quite different.

Killzone Shadow Fall and Battlefield 4 were not downgraded. They looked just as good as their trailers as far as I am aware.

i didnt notice you qualified your earlier statement with a time frame, my mistake. guess that scratches off killzone 2(not shadowfall) as well. bf4 and dark souls 2 still apply.

Top Bottom