• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront will not have ironsights

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm a bit wary about this, but we'll see. The whole 1st person/3rd person thing doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either - I keep thinking back to Fallout 3/Skyrim where the 3rd person felt ridiculously tacked-on and pointless.

Even though I'm not a fan of TPS in the game, it was never tacked on in previous Battlefronts. It was actually integral to classes like the Dark Trooper and the Droideka.

JazFiction

Neo Member
Can someone explain why we celebrate something being taken away or not included?

ADS is triggered on the controller. So if you dont like ADS then don't press that trigger. To take away the option for people who do like it, makes little sense.

Eg. I can run around in Destiny and never use ADS, then choose to play only using it. Its up to me.

Enlighten me to what i'm missing here.

Mendax

Battlefront got along fine without iron sights for several games, it doesn't need it to play very well. What it needs is sick jump cancelling so I can do aerial raves with lightsabers.

yeah it got along fine 15 years ago or somesuch. Nowadays a shooter should at least have the option of somewhat realistic aiming and shooting...

Can someone explain why we celebrate something being taken away or not included?

ADS is triggered on the controller. So if you dont like ADS then don't press that trigger. To take away the option for people who do like it, makes little sense.

Eg. I can run around in Destiny and never use ADS, then choose to play only using it. Its up to me.

exactly, just nostalgia.

Same..

Is there any reason why ADS seems to be disliked as much? is there some problem with it?

it prevents people from making headshots while running and jumping all over the place; like some arcadey gamey faux-shooters of yore. Apparently some people still want that.

tootsi666

Using ADS gives the player accuracy bonuses 99% of the time, including in Destiny. You have to ADS to stay competive in MP.

ADS was never a core part of the franchise (I understand that the originals were conceived in a time before the modern shooter changed the landscape of what FPS's ultimately become) but Battlefront is meant to be a faster paced shooter. ADS tends to slow the action or encourage bad habits such as camping. Third person is a big component of Battlefront and as such, ADS would ultimately be wasted.

Lakitu

st5fu
As long as it plays well I guess.

But I was perusing the Battlefront Reddit and I saw something about GI hinting at a Titan mode but instead of Titans, Star Destroyers.

HYPE!

GlamFM

Banned
Could you explain your rationale a bit more, Glam?

I can understand being disappointed by the game not embracing more modern mechanics, but Battlefront isn't exactly the sort of game that screams out for ADS.

I simply don´t like the dynamic of fire from the hip & jump around shooters.

I never liked Halo, I really like Destiny.

CS never clicked with me, COD4 was fantastic.

In the end it´s about pace. ADS shooters are usually a little slower.

I like that.

Astarte

yeah it got along fine 15 years ago or somesuch. Nowadays a shooter should at least have the option of somewhat realistic aiming and shooting.

It depends on the shooter tbh. Battlefront was always this crazy fast paced game and I have had no troubles popping people across the map. PC servers are still up, you should give it a whirl.
Besides, who needs ADS when you have that zooooom?

You must teach me how to do this.

Give me a double jump and I'll make you soar.

even though it'll still have ADS with scopes, this is a step backwards. the third person mode is also unnecessary and will take away from the immersion. it's just bs being put in to appease old fans.

Really? Third person gives you more peripheral vision, really helps when playing some classes like the Bothan spy.

even though it'll still have ADS with scopes, this is a step backwards. the third person mode is also unnecessary and will take away from the immersion. it's just bs being put in to appease old fans.

ADS was never a core part of the franchise (I understand that the originals were conceived in a time before the modern shooter changed the landscape of what FPS's ultimately become) but Battlefront is meant to be a faster paced shooter. ADS tends to slow the action or encourage bad habits such as camping. Third person is a big component of Battlefront and as such, ADS would ultimately be wasted.

Games like cod are very fast paced, and they use it.

I think ultimately they made a decision to please people with rose tinted specs on and in turn eliminated alot of the people newer to gaming.

That can seem like a good thing but a multiplayer game with a small playerbase will fail

Boss Mog

I already wasn't hot on 3rd person being an option but no ADS pretty much means I can't get this. By then Hardline will be $19.99, I'll just get that instead.

patapuf

I never liked CS either tbh, my first proper shooter experience imo was Battlefield 2. I'm still getting the game but I prefer the style of gameplay where I have to stand still to shoot accurately.

That can still be the case though. They can simply up the recoil penalty while moving.

So you want it to be Battlefield Star Wars, eh?

hell yeah, lasers flying by my face PEW PEW, shit blowing up around me while the screen shakes, planes or whatever the fuck they're called flying above, OH YEAH.

Really? Third person gives you more peripheral vision, really helps when playing some classes like the Bothan spy.

well obviously third person view lets you see more, but that's just not as engrossing as first person view.

supersaw

You are liking something which they do not like, it's a common problem.

I'd prefer to have the option to ADS, but that won't stop me from buying and enjoying this game.

Couldn't they just include ADS without any of the usual ADS benefits? Keep the bullet grouping/recoil the same as in hip-fire, and keep the player movement speed the same as when using hip-fire, making ADS a purely aesthetic change. Would that work?

Xeilyn

I dont have any problems with them not including it but i do enjoy shooters with iron sights more. I also dont like TPS multiplayer but it obviously leads to some tactical advantages in this so ill switch to it to look around corners and such

hell yeah, lasers flying by my face PEW PEW, shit blowing up around me while the screen shakes, planes or whatever the fuck they're called flying above, OH YEAH.

I must be playing a different Battlefield 2/3/4. I've played conquest after conquest and it's never been that exciting except on Karkand in BF2 and a couple maps in BC2. I'd be in if it were always like that. But it feels so slow most of the time.

Lack of ADS keeps the pace of gameplay fast and thrilling, at least it will in the levels this game will host.

Astarte

well obviously third person view lets you see more, but that's just not as engrossing as first person view.

So third person view is just being put in to please old fans and not because it was for a gameplay reason? Maybe it was a combination of both :y Immersion is great, but if I could have a gameplay advantage by doing 3rd person view sign me up! You can just stick with first person tho, you set.

Wait I forgot that they took out classes for this game.

siddhu33

ADS is terrible and limits fluid movement anyway, and the previous battlefront games never needed it, so why this one? Not every game has to have it, especially one where they have people running around with lightsabers and shit...

Pooya

Good, hip shooters are the best.

third person camera in Battlefront 1/2 were necessary, a lot of the game was rolling out of grenades due to large number of players, bots or else. and it was mostly wide open spaces not filled with chest high walls and artificial cover. It's very fast paced unlike Battlefield, Star Wars game should be like that, fast.

I simply don´t like the dynamic of fire from the hip & jump around shooters.

I never liked Halo, I really like Destiny.

CS never clicked with me, COD4 was fantastic.

In the end it´s about pace. ADS shooters are usually a little slower.

I like that.

Thanks for clearing that up!

I'm happy that DICE are staying true to the series' roots but sad that they might be alienating newer players with a lack of modern sensibilities.

Sounds like you need the CoD4 Star Wars mod! :)

Excellent news.

Been playing a fair bit of TitanFall and thats another game that should never had have ironsights. It would be 10x better if it was all accurate hipfire. One of the reasons why I roll with a Shotgun in that game.

RexNovis

Banned
IMMEDIATE HYPE! Yes! So happy right now. Between this and the news about the number of included maps things are looking up for Battlefront and as a massive fan of the series that makes me really really ridiculously happy. YAY!!!!

GlamFM

Banned
Thanks for clearing that up!

I'm happy that DICE are staying true to the series' roots but sad that they might be alienating newer players with a lack of modern sensibilities.

Sounds like you need the CoD4 Star Wars mod! :)

Never heard of that - never been a PC gamer.

Is that a real thing? Sounds amazing!

patapuf

Nothing more than it being "useless and it slows down the pacing". Apparently people on GAF like rushing guns blazing with movement having little effect on accuracy.

You can have no ADS and still a big penalty on shooting while moving. I don't think that will be the case here but there's nothing preventing it from happening.

The silly thing about ADS is often that you only get the bonuses of standing still while in ADS even though you can aim just as well without ADS while standing still.

I'm not a fan of this tbh, I consider ADS an advancement of the FPS genre not a preference. To me it feels like they had to remove it to make the fps-tps split balanced, and I never wanted TPS in the first place as I really disliked it in the old Battlefronts.

ADS is a devolution for FPS. makes every interesting encounter in to boring drab.

You are liking something which they do not like, it's a common problem.

This is not fair to say. Any player using ADS would have an advantage over those that weren't because the whole point of ADS is to give additional accuracy. You're going to get mauled in a game with ADS if you're just trying to hip fire. So they have to choose to either allow it or not. It can't be an option. From what I recall ADS hasn't been part of the series, so it was probably an easy decision for them. They aren't trying to make Battlefield Star Wars Edition, they're trying to make a Battlefront game.

mcz117chief

Even though I'm not a fan of TPS in the game, it was never tacked on in previous Battlefronts. It was actually integral to classes like the Dark Trooper and the Droideka.

It never felt right either. I never used the TP since I felt I was at a disadvantage.

p.s. Dark trooper in TP ? How is that even possible ? How can you aim your jumps and shotgun better in TP rather than in FP ?

Nibel

Try staying competitive without using ADS in games that focus on ADS, lol

supersaw

This is not fair to say. Any player using ADS would have an advantage over those that weren't because the whole point of ADS is to give additional accuracy. You're going to get mauled in a game with ADS if you're just trying to hip fire. So they have to choose to either allow it or not. It can't be an option. From what I recall ADS hasn't been part of the series, so it was probably an easy decision for them. They aren't trying to make Battlefield Star Wars Edition, they're trying to make a Battlefront game.

Only if there is an intentional hip fire penalty, if you have a hip fire reticule int TP what you're just pointing a dot at a target same as in FP ADS. If anything TP is more haxxy with the whole being able to see around corners business.

Astarte

It never felt right either. I never used the TP since I felt I was at a disadvantage.

p.s. Dark trooper in TP ? How is that even possible ? How can you aim your jumps and shotgun better in TP rather than in FP ?

Third person was great! It actually helped me a lot when it came to knowing when to roll past grenades and blind fire, and I never had a problem with aiming and rocket jumping. A lot of battlefront players would share that sentiment.

nOoblet16

People who are saying ADS was never a part of the franchise, I implore you to have a look at when the last game in the franchise came out. ADS is a natural evolution of the "zoom" and if the game had that then there is absolutely no reason why having ADS would hurt the game now. Unless the game was all about hip firing primarily (like say Halo) ADS makes sense.

Considering that the game can be played in TPS and FPS, having no ADS simply means limiting the FPS gameplay for the sake of nostalgia.

Killzone 2 had ADS which made you more accurate but hip firing was completely viable and even preferable. So it's not always the case.

I'm all for this, not out of dogmatic worship of old-school mechanics, but the simple fact that using the iron-sights on Star Wars weapons in particular would be awful. Star Wars guns are props built to look cool, not practical, and many Star Wars guns have downright goofy placement of sights and scopes that would be frustrating to actually use.

Case in point

Top Bottom