• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront will not have ironsights

Hip Hop

It's been trained into them by the insane popularity of COD4 and it's generation of shooters, you see a guy and immediately mash LT. This not only plants your feet so you don't even have to think about your own movement, but also gives the game a less obvious place to put in the auto aim as it will snap to during the FOV transition.

If you're talking about COD:

The "snap" only occurs in campaign. You still have to aim at the player in multiplayer.

and aiming down sight does not slow you down when using sub machine guns, they've also added the "Stock" attachment since Modern Warfare 3 that are optional to all weapons so you don't lose your speed when you aim down.

can't wait for Battlefront. I think I enjoy Plants Vs Zombies more then all allot of these other shooters because I can play it just fine with no ads and the firefight encounters are so much fun.

Doc_Drop

It's crystal clear there are some people in here who have never played Battlefront before.

Yeah seems that way. I loved the originals and the more info coming out the less it sounds like Battlefield with a Star Wars skin and more like a genuine Battlefront.

For me it was always about the battle happening around you, not about getting kill streaks and surviving. You jump in, shoot some people, die, respawn, rinse repeat. Trying to manage different areas of the map, taking out tank divisions, securing spawn points, etc. Then waiting to jump in as a hero and wreck shit

Hip Hop

can't wait for Battlefront. I think I enjoy Plants Vs Zombies more then all allot of these other shooters because I can play it just fine with no ads and the firefight encounters are so much fun.

But it does have the same ADS mechanic. Zoom in, just in third person.

You see how that doesn't kill your experience?

So I will never understand the ADS hate.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I liked ADS. But like most things it's something that should be used when it's part of the game design. A game that focuses precise aiming and slower combat benefits from it. A game that's more focused with just hitting the enemy and building momentum in movement hinders its design with implementing ADS.

Battlefront is a rare breed. They need to have 3rd person support which means that ADS adds a benefit for players in 1st person. Since you can't have your cake and eat it it's better to leave it out of this one game. Doesn't matter much even though I prefer games with ADS. If it's good I'll enjoy the hell out of Battlefront.

But it does have the same ADS mechanic. Zoom in, just in third person.

You see how that doesn't kill your experience?

So I will never understand the ADS hate.

Zoom isn't the same as ADS. The old Battlefront games had zoom on almost all of the guns, but it did not impair your movement speed. I assume that this new one will, too.

ADS slows down your player in exchange for reducing spread.

Raptomex

I don't get the hate for iron sights. I mean it's not a deal breaker for me but I've always liked the feature. Even if it's just an option. I'm sure the game will still be good.

Hip Hop

Zoom isn't the same as ADS. The old Battlefront games had zoom on almost all of the guns, but it did not impair your movement speed. I assume that this new one will, too.

ADS slows down your player in exchange for reducing spread.

Depends on the game.

Battlefront could have done the same here, no penalty for not aiming.

espher

But I was perusing the Battlefront Reddit and I saw something about GI hinting at a Titan mode but instead of Titans, Star Destroyers.

HYPE!

If this happens, I'm going from "wait and make sure it's not a broken mess" to "be an idiot and buy it day one".

Surprised over the hate for ADS. I agree it's not a needed mechanic but I had no idea it was so 'reviled' -- I'm fine with hipfire-only if there isn't a huge COF/bloom issue. The "it takes more skill to hipfire" argument is ridiculous, too.

Arkhanor

I'm tempted to pre-order this, but also after the recent events regarding the "pre-order" fiasco" of many games, I think I'll wait. But I like what I'm hearing about this game.

I'm now interested in the game.

The whole feel of a shooter changes drastically when ADS is present. I don't really get why some are complaining that they don't understand why it can't be an option. There are no shortage of games with ADS but there is a shortage of games without it.

Would have preferred ads to be honest, not that it's a huge deal. I just hope we get a proper sequel to 2142 eventually, until then this tie-in will have to do.

hodgy100

Iron sights aren't an option in most games, they are a necessity if you want to hit something. Iron sights are not inherently bad, but they cannot be shoved into every type of shooter. I'll use Titanfall as an example. In this game you can ride mechs, vault off walls, and go from ground level to 10 stories up in seconds. However, if you want to kill somebody, you have to slow to a crawl and use your iron sights to pick someone off in a narrow hallway. There is such a dichotomy between the movement of Titanfall and the shooting that it feels like the game is at war with itself. I feel like Battlefront is one title that would not benefit at all from iron sights.

hip firing with the car is very effective. combine that with the run and gun perk you can shoot and still keep your manuverability.

Prine

Banned
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! Cannot stand that shit mechanic, i want to shoot from the hip you bastards and not be penalised!!!

EvB

Just because guns in Star Wars don't have iron sights, it doesn't mean I get wont have ADS.

That comment stinks of evasiveness or misunderstanding or a comment being taken out of context

I'm now interested in the game.

The whole feel of a shooter changes drastically when ADS is present. I don't really get why some are complaining that they don't understand why it can't be an option. There are no shortage of games with ADS but there is a shortage of games without it.

This. Completely.

Emedan

What the heck is wrong with people being disappointed with this? We have enough Battlefields and CODs - This is Battlefront! If you want ADS then go play those other games, I for one wants a Battlefront game not YET ANOTHER Battlefield game..

Also people concerned about TPS/FPS dynamic, play on servers that restrict camera mode, I'm pretty sure that was a feature in the older games(?)

hell yeah, lasers flying by my face PEW PEW, shit blowing up around me while the screen shakes, planes or whatever the fuck they're called flying above, OH YEAH.

well obviously third person view lets you see more, but that's just not as engrossing as first person view.

Don't use it then.

I have been playing Plants Vs Zombies because I have fun playing games with no ADS from time to time. Its all about moving and shooting not standing still or slow paced ads shooting. The zoom is good enough but I don't even use that on there. Beside the wacky character movement and weapons the aim and shoot mechanics may be similar to SWBF.

jmaine_ph

What the heck is wrong with people being disappointed with this? We have enough Battlefields and CODs - This is Battlefront! If you want ADS then go play those other games, I for one wants a Battlefront game not YET ANOTHER Battlefield game..

Also people concerned about TPS/FPS dynamic, play on servers that restrict camera mode, I'm pretty sure that was a feature in the older games(?)
All of this!!!!

I'd be fine with ADS if it provided no other bonus than a tighter field of view just like the third person zoom.

No slowdowns, no additional aim assist, no bonus to accuracy or bullet spread.

Mugatu

I like ADS, if you don't then you don't have to use it. Do you really think the major difference between Battlefront and Battlefield is aiming?

I like ADS, if you don't then you don't have to use it. Do you really think the major difference between Battlefront and Battlefield is aiming?

But in the large majority of ADS shooters, you fight an uphill battle not using ADS.

By not including iron sights, you make the balance a lot simpler.

Ivan

This game comes out on consoles too, so some form of ads (not iron sights necessarily) is a must today.

And they want Battlefield and COD players to like it.

Times have changed, Destiny did the same after Halo.

Hipfire is doable on a gamepad , but it needs some really great game design. I don't think dice can do that. ADS without ironsights incoming.

Mortemis

Banned
Holy crap, didn't expect this. Fuck yeah.

Its not that I don't like shooters with ADS, but I just really like shooters that don't have it.

prag16

Banned
I hope you see the irony of your comment. People are in a Battlefront thread complaining that Battlefront is going to play Like a Battlefront game.
This...

Why does every game need to use ALL the same mechanics... can't believe this is a deal breaker for so many people. Hopefully just a vocal minority. Makes no sense... unless what all these people ACTUALLY want is just Battlefield: Star Wars.

Top Bottom