• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront will not have ironsights

This game comes out on consoles too, so some form of ads (not iron sights necessarily) is a must today.

And they want Battlefield and COD players to like it.

Times have changed, Destiny did the same after Halo.

Hipfire is doable on gamepad, but it needs some really great game design. I don't think dice can do that. ADS without ironsights incoming.
The first two Battlefronts and Halo worked just fine on a gamepad without ADS.

Courage

I don't mind this at all. Just because ADS is a 'modern' mechanic doesn't mean its exclusion makes a game outdated. It just emphasizes a different play style.

eFKac

Ehh not a fan of this, I prefer ADS.

Ohh well, not a deal breaker but BF has quite a few cons for me now.

Raonak

Banned
I'm happy, if solely for the fact this is not gonna be yet another shooter which plays exactly like COD.

genre variety is a very good thing, the homogenization of the FPS genre is one of the reasons I don't like FPSs all that much.

Enosh

blops 3 it is then

never really liked the SW setting anyway and stuff like this is just one more reason on top of everything

I'm happy, if solely for the fact this is not gonna be yet another shooter which plays exactly like COD.

genre variety is a very good thing, the homogenization of the FPS genre is one of the reasons I don't like FPSs all that much.

Just because a game has ads, doesn't mean it's going to play like CoD. That's ridiculous.

RexNovis

Banned
All these people getting upset about the lack of iron sights makes me realize they've probably never played an FPS without it. They don't know how drastically it changed the flow of combat and the general feel of the game. Which makes me feel really old.

Consequently it also makes the reasoning behind adding ADS to Halo 5 more evident. I can't believe people are actually arguing ADS is an advancement in game design. Clearly those are the people who are giving feedback that informs the development of Halo. Please go play Quake live, Battlefront 2 or Halo 2 and see that ADS is a feature that gas a profound impact on the way combat plays out and that games can be a blast to play without it.

facelike

I'm happy with this. Was afraid they were not going to make a true BattleFront game.

Now about those space battles....

TI82

Banned
All these people getting upset about the lack of iron sights makes me realize they've probably never played an FPS without it. They don't know how drastically it changed the flow of combat and the general feel of the game. Which makes me feel really old.

Consequently it also makes the reasoning behind adding ADS to Halo 5 more evident. I can't believe people are actually arguing ADS is an advancement in game design. Clearly those are the people who are giving feedback that informs the development of Halo. Please go play Quake live, Battlefront 2 or Halo 2 and see that ADS is a feature that gas a profound impact on the way combat plays out and that games can be a blast to play without it.

I'd appreciate if you'd keep the condescension to a minimum because we have a different opinion that you. Aiming down sights is simply more immersive to some of us, and yes I've played plenty of games without it.

SerTapTap

Cool news. I don't mind people being turned off by it either--it's a gameplay choice and both should be acceptable, silly that ADS is seen as standard/necessary recently. I miss that old UT feel, no slowing down just point and shoot and go.

OK but how much autoaim? The scarce amount Killzone has would be best but people will say "the controls are floaty".

Hope it's way weaker than Destiny, felt like I was glued to enemies sometimes especially sniping. TLOU has the right amount of auto aim if it has it at all (I think it does, very minor)

Kssio_Aug

The popular implementation of ADS created a culture that every FPS nowadays should carry it, like it was an evolution for the genre. But that's not true. ADS is a feature that is welcome to many shooters, but should not be seen as a evolution of the genre, its implementation affects the gameplay on a way it wont necessarily be better or worse, just different!

Or it's just a preference. I like ADS in some games, others I don't. Some of the arguments like with Battlefield against ADS are really due to map size, flow, and concentration rather than the mechanic itself. Hell, there's some games like Titanfall where, while ADS is present and useful, I prefer firing from the hip due to the other mechanics of the game.

With how this Battlefront is looking to be designed, not having ADS was probably the smart way to go. I also doubt most people will give a shit so long as the shooting itself is good. But that doesn't mean ADS can never have a place in a SW title or that the mechanic is awful.

Edit: Aim assistance better be incredibly light. Without ADS it shouldn't be as much of an issue, but it's something that Destiny made me despise in multiplayer as it makes it difficult to deal with multiple people effectively.

EL CUCO

I like ADS but I'm ok with DICE trying to give this a different feel. I don't think I'd like a Battlefield with lazers.

pa22word

I like this.

It not only makes for a better game, but also automatically makes people I don't want to be playing with not play the game. See: this topic for multiple examples.

This might just be the first DICE game I buy since 2142.

I'm 32, I have played plenty of games without ads, what are you talking about?

I like this.

It not only makes for a better game, but also automatically makes people I don't want to be playing with not play the game. See: this topic for multiple examples.

This might just be the first DICE game I buy since 2142.

Do you realise how sanctimonious this sounds? I play Arma 3 with a bunch of people that take it very seriously, not one of them sounds as stuck up as half the posts in this thread.

V-Gief

I'd be fine with ADS if it provided no other bonus than a tighter field of view just like the third person zoom.

No slowdowns, no additional aim assist, no bonus to accuracy or bullet spread.
I am in the same camp. I don't mind ADS as a visual mechanic. I dislike it because of the penalties it usually tags on to firing without it. If it was purely cosmetic then by all means include it for those that want it. Like others have already said, options are nice.

RexNovis

Banned
Or it's just a preference. I like ADS in some games, others I don't. Some of the arguments like with Battlefield against ADS are really due to map size, flow, and concentration rather than the mechanic itself.

With how this Battlefront is looking to be designed, not having ADS was probably the smart way to go. I also doubt most people will give a shit so long as the shooting itself is good. But that doesn't mean ADS can never have a place in a SW title or that the mechanic is awful.

I never said it was awful I'm simply saying that the claims its some major advancement in FPS design that should be used in every FPS from here on are ridiculous. Because those claims are. I also said those claims likely come from a place of ignorance when it comes to FPS design without ADS and how fantastically frantic and mobile it can be.

ADS dramatically changes the way combat works in games where it is implemented. That's not to say that is a bad thing but it's not empirically better either. It's just very different and some game types (Unreal Tournament, Quake, Halo, Battlefront, etc) don't fit that ADS gameplay style because their gameplay is designed around constant mobility instead of the stop and pop feel that ADS so often creates.

pa22word

I

Do you realise how sanctimonious this sounds? .

I honestly don't care.

People proclaiming they won't play a game because it has slightly different mechanics than Call of Duty don't really enter into my frame of thought when it comes to laying down $60 on a video game.

I like ADS but I'm ok with DICE trying to give this a different feel. I don't think I'd like a Battlefield with lazers.

This is where I am actually, I'm not hugely invested in this game, but some of these comments. Sheesh.

I honestly don't care.

People proclaiming they won't play a game because it has slightly different mechanics than Call of Duty don't really enter into my frame of thought when it comes to laying down $60 on a video game.

I got news for you, you sound just as bad.

Cool news. I don't mind people being turned off by it either--it's a gameplay choice and both should be acceptable, silly that ADS is seen as standard/necessary recently. I miss that old UT feel, no slowing down just point and shoot and go.

Yeah, it seems like the frantic nature of point and shoot is going extinct.

It's very strange reading through some of the complaints in this thread. Some of the changes being asked for would change the feel of the game. I want to be able to pick this up and think, "Yup, this is definitely Batttlefront." I'm curious how many here have actually played previous Battlefront titles.

I'm imagining soldiers aiming down their sights while a hero/villain zips towards them. Sounds silly.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Bach's wording says there's no aiming down irongsights, and not ADS entirely, right? I gather, ADS will be there since about 90 percent of MP gamers are used to it.

2thepoint

Forgive me for asking such a dubious question, but, on a scale of 1 being nothing like, and 10 being extremely like, how similar does this news of no ironsight make it to Battlefield in terms of shooting?

CHC

I like this news. The less it resembles Battlfield: Star Wars, the better. It should be its own unique game with its unique mechanics and playstyles, otherwise it's just an Ubisoft-style palette swap.

Amazing. I might actually pick this up. No ADS is brilliant, and I'm glad it isn't being included it makes some games feel so same because every FPS does it nowadays. Even Halo 5's traditional scope looks like ADS now. So this is a much needed thing.

This game comes out on consoles too, so some form of ads (not iron sights necessarily) is a must today.

And they want Battlefield and COD players to like it.

Times have changed, Destiny did the same after Halo.

Hipfire is doable on a gamepad , but it needs some really great game design. I don't think dice can do that. ADS without ironsights incoming.

You do realise they could just make the accuracy better to make up for hipfire? The only reason you even need ADS is because games are designed around terrible accuracy when shooting from the hip.

Lol strange as this may sounds, the whole lazers are the major turn off for myself. Plus not a fan of 3rd person multiplayer shooters ( I know it can be played 1st person as well)
Edit spelling

Sande

FPS games without ADS feel... weird.. to me. One of few reasons why I'm not the biggest Halo, Fallout 3 or Counter Strike fan. Somehow just doesn't feel right. Iron sights feel more, I don't know, immersive? Am I stupid?
No. Preferring to shoot a gun like you would shoot a gun is not stupid. I've always disliked not having ADS for the same reason, but it's not deal breaker for me so this game is still on my radar. Hype diminished for sure though.

No. Preferring to shoot a gun like you would shoot a gun is not stupid. I've always disliked not having ADS for the same reason, but it's not deal breaker for me so this game is still on my radar. Hype diminished for sure though.
but its star wars, when has anyone ever ADS in star wars

I can understand this argument in a military shooter, but battlefront is a twitchy futuristic shooter. No sense slowing the game down to ADS, just give high accuracy hip fire

The funny thing is that in CSGO you can't exactly shoot and move at the same time either.

There is a bit of elitism.

Also, take a game like dirty bomb which makes use of both hipfire and ADS and that chart is a joke. Dirty bomb has tight hipfire and accurate/slow movement ADS, and both fill separate roles in the game. Hipfire is useable at all ranges while ADS has an edge at long range and hipfire has a huge edge at closer ranges.

The chart is also a grossly oversimplified explanation. You can have more complicated movement and "comeback" mechanics even when you are being shot first. The first shot has the advantage whether or not ironsights exists though.

Now, personally I would like to see star wars battlefront with tight cones of fire with hipfire. But not because I think ironsights are terrible in themselves, although they are implemented in a fashion I often do not like.

Here is dirty bomb: https://youtu.be/3TXTijvheBA?t=115 ADS + IS working hand in hand.

I'm not sure why people continue to fail to acknowledge that this is a matter of opinion and an objective matter.

The condescension is strong.

Top Bottom