• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Celebration 2017 |OT| A thread forty years in the making. You'll be Omazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

A lot of reactions to the teaser make me realize how little people actually care about the characters and their development.

It's like "the PT had shit characters" then the moment a film comes along that appears to flesh out the great characters introduced in TFA, no one seems to care

"Looks boring"

How? Because you aren't visually simulated enough in 120 seconds?

I dunno I guess I just didn't realize expectations were so.. Shallow

Hell, I'm fairly certain for a fair amount of those people, the emotional effect isn't even in the storytelling. It's not what's happening to the characters so much as what's happening to them. When most of your joy is caught up solely in making sure the little boxes you're keeping next to all these characters and plot points are neatly segmented into the right and proper places, and checked off and kept tidy, a major crossover event, a surprise appearance from a character thought dead, a secret baby nobody ever knew about - it's not really about how this affects the characters. It's how this affects your mental reckoning of the laundry list of fictional bullshit you now have to go back and re-order.

I think about this whenever I read something to the tune of "Force Awakens didn't move the franchise forward", "there was no world-building", "at least the Prequels yaddah yaddah yaddah". Like, people genuinely want these new movies to have a check-in with how the space Senate from the Prequels is going, because they need an update on the socio-political climate of this universe that doesn't actually exist. How can I relate to a character's journey if I don't see how the First Order got their bills passed through space Congress?

Real talk: I get a wonderful rush of malicious glee when Starkiller Base blows up the Coruscant stand-in in TFA. Ooh, it tastes so sweet. I know nobody in charge will ever admit it, but I like to read it as a hot slam against all that Prequel bullshit. Oh, wait, what about the political side of thi- KABOOOOM, fucking space laser!

Davide

There's no scenario I could be happy with in which Luke would be killed off in VIII, leaving none of the Big 3 for IX.

Killing off the mentor so that the new hero can face the enemy alone is a tired trope. In Star Wars it's happened with Obi-Wan, Yoda, (to a lesser extent) Qui-Gon, and Han. Sometimes killing off a character who's had a longer journey just makes sense, like in recent film
Logan
, but it looks like Luke has a totally new character arc going on. Sure, take risks with Luke's character but killing him off in a film called "The Last Jedi" is predictable.

I'd be fine if Luke had a natural, boring, off-screen death and appeared as a Force ghost in X.

Bobby is our film God.

giphy.gif

wait what? what is this?

Finn tells Rey he's Resistance. Rey is a fan of the Resistance, and has a moment where she smirks and looks like she's holding back laughter, but is actually just excited that she's around who she thinks is a Resistance member. She stops herself to try and stay "cool" around him.

Bobby thinks it was a blown take. And it has nothing to do with 90's Image comics.

wait what? what is this?

The clip is in this old-ass tweet of mine:

https://twitter.com/bobbyrobertspdx/status/717572959284498432

I thought it looked like Daisy Ridley was swallowing a laugh at the tail end of this take. Brandon and Einchy think I'm crazy to think that it's anything but pure acting on display that fits contextually with everything that just happened up to that point, and everything that happens right afterwards.

It doesn't really matter either way. It's one of those weird conversational hangnails that you can't stop fucking picking at, I guess.

edit: Aaaaand Brandon is actually asking Josh Gad to weigh in on twitter.

Davide

Just listening to interviews, Hayden Christensen really sounds so much like Clone Wars Anakin now. He sounds nothing like his voice in the prequels.

He needs a chance to redeem himself in the films.

Daisy legit swallows a laugh right there. She was seconds away from busting up.

She's grinning like an idiot during the whole thing. It wasn't some one short instance where she's stifling laughter. That's her aura during that entire exchange and if it were wrong I'm pretty sure Abrams would've noticed as it's obvious either way.

She's merely excited about being around an alleged Resistance fighter, almost loses it but tries to stay cool.

I watched the scene and to me it looks like she's cracking up at how Finn is trying to act all cool about being a Resistance Pilot. Rey doesn't know that he isn't and goes with it. Daisy in the other hand has read the script and knows exactly that John is trying to ham it up in his own way to impress Rey.

If that makes sense. Can't really explain it when I'm typing.

sphagnum

Banned
I think about this whenever I read something to the tune of "Force Awakens didn't move the franchise forward", "there was no world-building", "at least the Prequels yaddah yaddah yaddah". Like, people genuinely want these new movies to have a check-in with how the space Senate from the Prequels is going, because they need an update on the socio-political climate of this universe that doesn't actually exist. How can I relate to a character's journey if I don't see how the First Order got their bills passed through space Congress?

Real talk: I get a wonderful rush of malicious glee when Starkiller Base blows up the Coruscant stand-in in TFA. Ooh, it tastes so sweet. I know nobody in charge will ever admit it, but I like to read it as a hot slam against all that Prequel bullshit. Oh, wait, what about the political side of thi- KABOOOOM, fucking space laser!

Thankfully people actually in charge of the long term franchise, like the Lucasfilm Story Griup, care a lot about the political element. Also Rian Johnson, apparently, since he came up with the political parties in Bloodline.

Thankfully people actually in charge of the long term franchise, like the Lucasfilm Story Griup, care a lot about the political element. Also Rian Johnson, apparently, since he came up with the political parties in Bloodline.

Oh, sure they do. They're the ones who have to ensure that Star Wars stays a 'longterm franchise' by commissioning all the books and comics and TV shows and other EU stuff to fill out the Wiki pages. I just like my two-hour light sci-fi adventure movies to avoid turning into Space C-SPAN as much as possible. Keep the EU in the EU.

Real Hero

Oh, sure they do. They're the ones who have to ensure that Star Wars stays a 'longterm franchise' by commissioning all the books and comics and TV shows and other EU stuff to fill out the Wiki pages. I just like my two-hour light sci-fi adventure movies to avoid turning into Space C-SPAN as much as possible. Keep the EU in the EU.

A New Hope set up the political situation much better than the force awakens with just a few lines of dialogue

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm honestly surprised we didn't get a title reveal for Han Solo's movie and a panel with the cast.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Ok the resolution is low, but he looks like he hasn't aged at all! They definitely need to do a Vader prequel featuring him. It would be a nice redemption if done well.

I could not disagree more, Hayden was the worst casting choice I think I've ever seen. My brain just can't make any correlation between Vader and his pretty boy, whinny Anakin, the least threatening character in Star Wars. He might be the nicest guy in the world but the casting people really screwed him over.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I could not disagree more, Hayden was the worst casting choice I think I've ever seen. My brain just can't make any correlation between Vader and his pretty boy, whinny Anakin, the least threatening character in Star Wars. He might be the nicest guy in the world but the casting people really screwed him over.
Or people dont care. Also, nobody at LucasFilm cares about 5 people not going to the cinema becaue of silly reasons like this

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Or people dont care. Also, nobody at LucasFilm cares about 5 people not going to the cinema becaue of silly reasons like this

What are you on about? His portrayal of Anakin has been heavily criticised since the movies were released, I'm hardly saying anything out of the ordinary, it was unfortunately for him a bad casting choice. Lucasfilm absolutely cares about how the prequels are viewed, they barely mentioned them when they were hyping TFA. In fact they went out of their way to state how TFA was like the OT and not the PT.

Poona

My brain just can't make any correlation between Vader and his pretty boy, whinny Anakin, the least threatening character in Star Wars.

I can see it.

I just look at Vader being Anakin having his tantrums in a torn up body with messed up breathing and vocals.

Tsunamo

Just listening to interviews, Hayden Christensen really sounds so much like Clone Wars Anakin now. He sounds nothing like his voice in the prequels.

He needs a chance to redeem himself in the films.
I wonder if people would have changed their additudes towards him if he had that voice and voiced Anakin in The Clone Wars, it's weird how close he sounds now.

But yeah he definitely needs a chance to redeem himself in the films, even one scene with Anakins force ghost would be enough.
I feel like the animation got this really well. You see the nice Anakin of The Clone Wars, and then Asoka knocks off his mask and you hear his voice and get a glimpse of Anakin in Vader. Only time I really linked the two as one genuinely.

Davide

I wonder if people would have changed their additudes towards him if he had that voice and voiced Anakin in The Clone Wars, it's weird how close he sounds now.

But yeah he definitely needs a chance to redeem himself in the films, even one scene with Anakins force ghost would be enough.
Although he'd probably just be acting on a green screen alone so no better than the prequels. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom