• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Destiny CCG |OT| Space Magic

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yeah our local shops are... the worst. Good employees but the owners are largely stuck in that 80s/90s direct market model of no discounts and charge for everything.

Grabbed 3 boxes. Still sorting out what I need but happy with some stuff. Elite Ahsoka and K2. 3 Ancient Sabers. 2 of the yellow gun. So really just one actual dupe and it’s the hottest card from the set. But not a lot of LG play sets. Will see how far trading gets me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Interested to hear how draft goes. Drafting is my favorite mechanism in all of gaming but not sure how it works out in SW:D.

Picked up a couple boxes and went to an EAW release tournament today and Palp really stomped with As You Command, Indomitable, and especially Endurance in the mix. Played lots of the new archetypes including Vader/Magna and Seventh Sister though counted on no one having Thrawnkar which would wreck me so that was nice. :D

borghe

box pulls were ok.. 3 boxes so far.. only true dupe LG I got was Ancient Lightsaber which is THE dupe you want.. thankfully.. Only dice I never pulled were Thrawn, Ghost, Inquisitor, Inquisitor's Lightsaber, Rookie Pilot and Chance Cube. I bought a few packs yesterday at game day and grabbed an elite Sabine which is awesome. Then also traded a Hera for elite Kanan (which I thought was funny being who they are), and a Deadly (uncommon) for my first Rookie Pilot.

My big wants right now are Ghost (literally the only thing I am missing for a full on vehicle deck), Thrawn, maybe those are my only big ones?

Beyond that I wouldn't mind elite Sister, elite Cad, second vader's TIE... inquisitor and his lightsaber for a complete set... I'm not going to stress on play sets for them quite yet..

borghe

What counters Thrawnkar? (Heroes only) It seems that might be popular in my area.

nothing perfect yet.. some big things..

hand knowledge is a big deal. both playing around them knowing what's in your hand, AND knowing what's in their hand.

coercion is especially awesome against thrawnkar. friends in low places can get rid of that buyout.

funny enough, thrawnkar is pretty hurt by mill. if you can stop them from either buyout, it makes their ability to mill pretty meh.

anyone with good beefy sides.. even something like Ezra Sabine might be a good counter.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah that's a good point -- if you hit them with Coercion and FLP that puts you in a decent spot if your deck is otherwise good. Also if new RR hits Buy Out that would be really nice. Really waiting on that thing because the meta is kind of fake right now being pre-RR. I don't think my Palp will get hit at all though so I'm good. T2 baby! :p

Empire at War is my favorite set so far, I've been messing around with Cad/ Jango, Luke/Ezra and Vader/Magnaguard and have been having a ton of fun with each. I'm probably going to continue to work with Cad/Jango as my main focus going forward.

borghe

why would RRG hit Buyout?

I don't know if EAW is my favorite expansion, but I know the game is 100x better now with 3 sets. 126 cards per set is brutal with 1 or 2 sets. :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Unofficial confirmed from several people on the KOR FB centithread. But the Coercion effect fizzles after the round ends, which isn't in the rules at all so the whole thing is kind of a mess that will clearly need an RR. This is a huge ruling when it comes to Coercion power level though. Also means I can still play 1x It Will All Be Mine for funsies. :D

borghe

Unofficial confirmed from several people on the KOR FB centithread. But the Coercion effect fizzles after the round ends, which isn't in the rules at all so the whole thing is kind of a mess that will clearly need an RR. This is a huge ruling when it comes to Coercion power level though. Also means I can still play 1x It Will All Be Mine for funsies. :D

yeah, that needs to be RR'ed. Definitely not in the spirit of the card.

played against a Rikeen Wookie deck last night. OMFG... First mill that is viable? Only hard counter to it is vibroknife. basically it has like 16ish cards dedicated to shields. the deck hardly pays anything (no upgrades) so you use 3PO to resolve wookie 3/1 sides as discard/shields as needed. You basically just have to keep rikeen alive long enough to mill through your opponents deck 1-2 cards per turn. with my hera vehicles deck I could not get through the shields fast enough. I didn't focus rikeen right away.. and by the time I did switch to focus, I was STILL being held up by shields.. a Han ambush deck has nothing on this deck.

the worst part is, if you focus fire rikeen.. you let the wookies build shields up naturally (lots of give shields to multiple characters), then open up for a devastating Impersonate virtually completely healing rikeen while putting fully shielded wookies at half health.

not at all saying unbeatable.. but the guy went undefeated. definitely caught everyone not knowing how to deal with it.. yeah, you need a massive focus fire on rikeen to stop the auto mill.. then after that it's just getting damge out of your dice on the table (Assuming they will still resolve any big sides as discard)

also my luck was nuts.. bought three packs with the tourney buy in.. my second Master of the Council.. bought two packs with my winnings.. first Inquisitor Saber. Then a guy offered my Mac and Inquisitor for Ancient Saber. Came out with a net gain of 3 LGs. WOOT!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
yeah, that needs to be RR'ed. Definitely not in the spirit of the card.

played against a Rikeen Wookie deck last night. OMFG... First mill that is viable? Only hard counter to it is vibroknife. basically it has like 16ish cards dedicated to shields. the deck hardly pays anything (no upgrades) so you use 3PO to resolve wookie 3/1 sides as discard/shields as needed. You basically just have to keep rikeen alive long enough to mill through your opponents deck 1-2 cards per turn. with my hera vehicles deck I could not get through the shields fast enough. I didn't focus rikeen right away.. and by the time I did switch to focus, I was STILL being held up by shields.. a Han ambush deck has nothing on this deck.

the worst part is, if you focus fire rikeen.. you let the wookies build shields up naturally (lots of give shields to multiple characters), then open up for a devastating Impersonate virtually completely healing rikeen while putting fully shielded wookies at half health.

not at all saying unbeatable.. but the guy went undefeated. definitely caught everyone not knowing how to deal with it.. yeah, you need a massive focus fire on rikeen to stop the auto mill.. then after that it's just getting damge out of your dice on the table (Assuming they will still resolve any big sides as discard)

also my luck was nuts.. bought three packs with the tourney buy in.. my second Master of the Council.. bought two packs with my winnings.. first Inquisitor Saber. Then a guy offered my Mac and Inquisitor for Ancient Saber. Came out with a net gain of 3 LGs. WOOT!

I mean, tied for first with Thrawnkar mill....

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

Thrawnkar mill is like playing a totally different game. Perfect information in Destiny while completely screwing with your opponent's hand and having infinite resources* is basically a totally new archetype.

Also the vehicle decks out there are so fun too. Ciena is a BEAST

borghe

Thrawnkar mill is like playing a totally different game. Perfect information in Destiny while completely screwing with your opponent's hand and having infinite resources* is basically a totally new archetype.

Also the vehicle decks out there are so fun too. Ciena is a BEAST

my WORST vehicle games so far are like a U-Wing, Y-Wing, and temporary Y-Wing to the table. and that was atypical.

most games are two 5 costers, and 3-4 other vehicles (usually 1-2 each of Y-Wings and snowspeeders)

I hit a deploying the squadron or whatever and rolled in 6 dice. 6 super scary dice.

pretty safe to say that vehicles will definitely hit tier 2. question is how close they'll be able to make it to tier 1.

I am missing any Ghosts for rebels.. and missing a vaders TIE and a second cannon(?) for villains.

johnsmith

remember me
Thrawn only costing 17 for elite is so damn stupid. What are the FFG designers smoking. Would be at least 20 if he was a hero.

lMy72e.jpg

borghe

2pPhasma is NEVER a good comparison when talking about anyone's cost.. that question is never "What where they thinking with character X" but instead always "wtf were they thinking with 2pPhasma"

2pPhasma is a stupid cost, even by villain standards. It is actually a bit ridiculous.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thrawn only costing 17 for elite is so damn stupid. What are the FFG designers smoking. Would be at least 20 if he was a hero.
hahaha i was saying literally the exact same thing at our game night last night. actually one of my favorite games to play is to take a strong villain card (so, most villain cards) and 'convert' it to hero. for example, thrawn point cost would increase but his ability would also change to something like: "After you activate this character, you may choose a number. Then reveal a random card in an opponent's hand and, if the card costs the chosen number, give any character that already has at least one shield an additional shield."

johnsmith

remember me
Honestly tempted to buy a couple of thrawns since the rest of the deck looks super cheap, already have 1 crime lord and hounds tooth. I'd run Hutt Ties in my version. That card was so oppressive in draft.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Honestly tempted to buy a couple of thrawns since the rest of the deck looks super cheap, already have 1 crime lord and hounds tooth. I'd run Hutt Ties in my version. That card was so oppressive in draft.

I don't even think you need Crime Lord for it

borghe

I don't even think you need Crime Lord for it

crime lord is dirt cheap in a thrawnkar deck. if you're not drawing into your buyouts (or they're getting discarded) it's also a good pressure reliever.. along with stuff like Prized Possession. but yeah.. it is basically there more as insurance than a win condition.

Daigoro

Yeah that's a good point -- if you hit them with Coercion and FLP that puts you in a decent spot if your deck is otherwise good. Also if new RR hits Buy Out that would be really nice. Really waiting on that thing because the meta is kind of fake right now being pre-RR. I don't think my Palp will get hit at all though so I'm good. T2 baby! :p

shit. compared to a few of the new decks Palp feels like tier 3 now.

Ive played baby vader/phasma like 4 times now and gotten mauled so bad. it was just disgusting. the new cards for palp are nice, and fun, but he feels even more outclassed now against the real T1 decks, and of course all of the 3 character tier two decks run over his as as well.

sad days for Palp i fear.

So this game is pretty good, huh?

Game is great in concept or casual play, but I've found attempting competitive play at all really annoying, the meta builds are so limited, everyone running almost exact same builds each time. Variety at competitive level is very restricted.

The small size of the decks and limited amount of characters you can fit into a build, limits what a person can viably build.

The game is so good, but the meta is uber annoying. Compared to metas in other CCG like games, it feels so much tighter here. The only saving grace is bad dice rolling can always make things a bit random

Been enjoying it with casual friend play at least, but few times I've tried to play at events at stores... ugh.

borghe

Game is great in concept or casual play, but I've found attempting competitive play at all really annoying, the meta builds are so limited, everyone running almost exact same builds each time. Variety at competitive level is very restricted.

The small size of the decks and limited amount of characters you can fit into a build, limits what a person can viably build.

The game is so good, but the meta is uber annoying. Compared to metas in other CCG like games, it feels so much tighter here. The only saving grace is bad dice rolling can always make things a bit random

Been enjoying it with casual friend play at least, but few times I've tried to play at events at stores... ugh.

you are not wrong. however I would point out that we are looking at ~125 cards per set (not counting characters or battlefields). So prior to last week, we really had 250 cards.. which is BARELY one set of your typical CCG. Now we have around 375 cards.. which is a good sized base set for a CCG. Realistically including the two starter box waves closer to 400 play cards probably.

so yeah.. you are right about a REALLY tight meta.. but we are seeing it expand. Outside of the Running Interference mess (which will guaranteed by RR'ed) and Thrawnkar being a little oppressive (though may just be teched in a meta with discards or Fair Trades), EAW is already seeing a lot of experimentation with MAce, Ahsoka, Sabine, Bazine, Cienna, etc.. even the dominant meta decks from last expansion (Poe Maz and Rainbow) have disappeared for the time being.

I am running an OP kit tournament next week. We've had two tournaments in the area (small attendance) where there was no dominant meta. So the question will be how big of a presence will Thrawnkar or Sabine have next week? And when will FFG RRG RI? (LOL!)

sad days for Palp i fear.

yeah, he was given endurance... and then like 10 cards for opponents' decks that just kill him. Palp going up against Unkar and Friend(s) with a Detention Center and Prized Possession (7 credits lololol...) and at that point just bide time for a crime lord or buyout...

or palp against 2pKylo :O

I'd say Palp is playable... like a tier 2/2.5.. but yeah.. there are a few decks that if he comes up against.. heroes have such an easy time hitting Planned Explosion now.. and if they hit it including vehicles.. I mean that's pretty much death next round, even with a Rise Again.

My favorite trick combo for heroes is Partnership in a Hera deck with 3-5 vehicles out.. roll in Maz and like Falcon or U-Wing. pay the resource for the action, use maz's focus to grab a 3/4 side if needed, then Deploy Squadron to roll in the other 2-4 vehicles. Their ability to remove more than one die right now is likely limited, including limited options in removing a 3+ side.. so your chance to Planned Explosion is through the roof and has very little dependency on having actual damage rolled in the pool on cards like Falcon, Ghost, U-Wing, etc

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

The SOR meta wasn't great. The Awakenings meta was really good tho with a lot of viable builds.

That said the EAW meta is looking pretty wide open with a lot of directions and decks that counts each other but have weaknesses

The card pool is so small that most builds had the same 24-26 card shell and then 4 rando slots. With the pool expanding further, it feels like a lot of decks have more like 40-44 viable card choice options, and possibly even more and specializations are getting even more possible with the deeper pool, thus likely providing further variety in play. Just the increase in characters alone exponentially increased build combinations

johnsmith

remember me
Played against Thrawnkar. It sucked. Deck is way too good.

Sabine has potential against it though, and with the right build I could see it having a favorable matchup.

borghe

Played against Thrawnkar. It sucked. Deck is way too good.

Sabine has potential against it though, and with the right build I could see it having a favorable matchup.

yeah.. thrawnkar will create a tech meta against it (like Jango Veers saw 1-2 copies of Dodge work itself into the meta). Mostly I see characters with discard sides and some obvious discard events teching against it. Going to try Rey Ahsoka next week at a tournament for any Thrawnkar I come against. and just resolve any of Rey's discard sides that come up.

borghe

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/6/legacies/

New set.

New starters. Tatooine Luke and OT Boba Fett.

New die symbol. Indirect damage (opponent distributes damage as they wish)

Plot cards that cost points to flesh out <30 point teams.

Power Action reads weird. Not sure if it means as a PLAYER you can only take one power action per round, or if it's just a way for them to stick actions on characters where you can't exhaust to take it once per round..

swd11_cardfan.png

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/6/legacies/

New set.

New starters. Tatooine Luke and OT Boba Fett.

New die symbol. Indirect damage (opponent distributes damage as they wish)

Plot cards that cost points to flesh out <30 point teams.

Power Action reads weird. Not sure if it means as a PLAYER you can only take one power action per round, or if it's just a way for them to stick actions on characters where you can't exhaust to take it once per round..

swd11_cardfan.png

Each power action can only be used once per round is my way of reading that

borghe

in other news.. my league has gone insanely well. I've tripled weekly attendance to over 10 :p

I ran season (month) long achievements last month, but it really caused only 1-3 people to take them seriously. no one else cared. So this month/season I am doing weekly achievements, and a weekly theme. You HAVE TO participate in the theme, then the achievement gives the top 2 getters a prize that week.

Themes so far:
Prequel characters only
Scoundrels and Bounty Hunters
no duplicate cards (single copy only)

coming up I'm thinking about 40 card decks, 33 point lists, and a few other things. We'll have to see. this way of achievements has seen almost 100% participation. So do the theme, and like last week was "whoever resolves the most dice in a single action without card effects like All In or It's A Trap"

Each power action can only be used once per round is my way of reading that

yeah, that's how I read it also. just weird because we already have Action that can be only used once per round (exhuast). Must be specifically for things that they don't want to exhaust like characters.

Heh

https://community.fantasyflightgame...lish-nationals-2017-fn-2199-total-domination/

Top16 - 9x FN-2199 decks
Top 8 - 6x FN-2199 decks (exceptions: ePhasma/Guavian/trooper and sabine/ePoe)
Top4 - only FN-2199 decks (3 with Kylo [2P], 1 with Bala-Tik and sister)

I need to unload my Destiny collection - I barely have time for 2 card games at once and after I played L5R i want to make that my main game with Agot being second.

And with constant barrage of starter sets with new exclusive to them cards for SWD it's also much safer on the wallet.

johnsmith

remember me
Yeah as a hero player it was depressing trying to go through the lists trying to find a hero deck. I saw like 1 rainbow mill with Riekan, and that's not. Not even any Poe Maz.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
it is really a joke at how long it's taking them to get this errata out. embarrassing to have that level of homogeneity at the top of your meta.

that said it doesn't really affect me that much since people are just playing fun stuff rn here locally. even beat a kylo-fn (that i'm sure wasn't super-tuned) to 4-0 today at a GNK with cad/phasma.

Bane

Well, fuck. I've been avoiding this game due to the collectible nature but decided to get the standalone 2 player set last week. I've now bought a gravity feed of each set. What a fun, simple game. Deck building on swdestinydb.com has been really fun. Fuck how much some cards go for, though.

You win again, Fantasy Flight.

borghe

actually hoping that Rivals will be out before or alongside Legacies. I already have almost two dozen players on board for a sealed tournament as soon as Legacies launches. That's almost 3 boxes out the door on day one for a store beyond pre-orders. Also almost as strong of interest in a monthly draft night.

FFG hit it out of the park on rivals. Crazy high interest.

borghe

Am I seeing things or is this 6 pts char distributed as part of fixed sets so if someone wants Java swarm he needs to buy 5? :D
Yes you would buy 5. That said, currently I’d say Jawa falls under “yuck” for constructed play. So the only place you’d use them would be draft where you are only allowed a single Rivals starter.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yes you would buy 5. That said, currently I’d say Jawa falls under “yuck” for constructed play. So the only place you’d use them would be draft where you are only allowed a single Rivals starter.

the troll gray neutral 5 Jawa deck does sound fun tho

Top Bottom