• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Destiny CCG |OT| Space Magic

johnsmith

remember me
Here's the characters and legendaries I got. Any tips on who to build my first deck around based on just what I pulled?

Maybe eKylo/eDooku, or eRey/Luke, or eJango/somebody else

BiajRof.png

DyWPtYD.png

P23nnkk.png

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I guess it depends on what other stuff you pulled, but Poe/Rey seems like it could work too. No Guavian? You could also do Phasma-Troopers which is slightly worse than Phasma-Trroper Guavian but could still be decent if you have some guns. When I see Thermal and Falcon (even Bowcaster to a lesser extent) though I'm just thinking Poe Poe Poe.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well with Rey you have access to Mind Probe, but if you only have one Poe die then yeah I guess you need a stronger second character.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
shouts to gafs little destiny community on tinygrimes podcast courtesy of jstevenson :D

there's a casual tournament i really want to go to tomorrow but probably won't be able to swing it. haven't had the chance to play in weeks most due to work and a little family stuff too. definitely got the itch. would love to try that snap-maz deck but would probably just bring phasma-guav-trooper since at least i have like six games under my belt with that one.

Guys... I just bought both Star Wars Destiny starter decks... Am I making a huge money sinking mistake?

Depends on what you'll get out of the game. My wife likes playing with me so we've gotten plenty of value for the $$$ I've spent. People in my area are dropping because LGS aren't hosting events, so check out your area.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah haha it's super variable in every aspect depending on what you like. I think the people that probably get driven a bit mad are those that need 2x of every single card in circulation. Most fun just seems to be make a deck you like and roll with that. The deck you choose will vary on what you're going for too -- winning big tournaments? Probably want to look at the top-rated decks at swdestinydb.com. Playing w/ friends? Just try to make some balanced decks that look like a fun clash. There are a ton of viable archetypes right now at all tiers, and I think T2 (meaning it can beat even top decks, just not consistently) especially is really fun rn.

Just played unkar/FN/fost against jyn ackbar. Did 7 damage on ackbar turn one and then unkar ability took 7 resources from lone operative and bowcaster turn 2. Opponent politely conceded.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
played in my second SC yesterday.. Went in with Han Snap and felt good.. My first opponent.. World Championship runner up's training buddy... Running TIE/Veers/Guav. Fuck... I lay out TIE (with Training) but not before he lands 4 on Han turn 1, and 5x2!!!!!!!!!!!!! on Han Turn 2.... I also take down Veers right after Han goes down.. but it was a full Guav at this point vs. like a 2HP Snap... fuck.

second was bye

fourth was OH HEY WORLD RUNNER UP!!! Fortunately he was playing Palp which plays PERFECTLY into my carbon freezing chamber. End of turn 1 he has Force Speed, Holocron and Force Push on Palp....... dotdotdot.. and managed to hit my Holdout Blaster with Palp discard.. so I still have Planetary Uprising out and healthy guys.. second round he has out another Force Push.. and I only have baby blaster.. the game couldn't have gone more his way.. and it wasn't even plays.. I mean he was rolling out 4 dice on activation and I wasn't getting any Hit and Run or fast hands..

third game went how a non-blowout game should have went.. I really controlled the whole game against Poe Snap.. was never worried.

The first and last games weren't bad.. they are actual buddies and I didn't play poorly.. shit like that happens. Oh well..

Fou-Lu

Depends on what you'll get out of the game. My wife likes playing with me so we've gotten plenty of value for the $$$ I've spent. People in my area are dropping because LGS aren't hosting events, so check out your area.

Yeah haha it's super variable in every aspect depending on what you like. I think the people that probably get driven a bit mad are those that need 2x of every single card in circulation. Most fun just seems to be make a deck you like and roll with that. The deck you choose will vary on what you're going for too -- winning big tournaments? Probably want to look at the top-rated decks at swdestinydb.com. Playing w/ friends? Just try to make some balanced decks that look like a fun clash. There are a ton of viable archetypes right now at all tiers, and I think T2 (meaning it can beat even top decks, just not consistently) especially is really fun rn.

I'll probably just be playing with my girlfriend and a couple of friends at first. If I really like it I might try to expand into the competitive scene, IF Canada even has one.

johnsmith

remember me
Looks like I'm looking at another 120 in singles to build either Poe/Maz or Kylo/Darth, at least based on tcg player prices. Maybe a bit cheaper locally, and if i trade. I'll have to price out the other decks before I decide what to build towards.

Fou-Lu

Played my first game with the starter decks and really enjoyed. Think I will try to find some packs at one of the LGSes to customize a bit and see how much I enjoy the game on repeat plays before I start buying singles.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's wild haha. I feel like my body is not ready for a new set yet -- errata itself almost felt like a new set in a way as it definitely has shaken up the meta.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played in a SC I wasn't at all planning on playing today. :D Glad that I went too because we got 27 out, including the guys from Knights of Ren and The Chance Cube. Brought my Phasma-Guavian-Trooper deck which I only had two games of experience with but which I thought would be consistent and every so slightly out of the norm. First four games I played two Palps and two FNs. The Palp matchup is almost unfair with all the Guardian so I took both of those pretty handily (including giving my friend his first loss). The FN matchups were crazy tight as I expected -- going to tiebreakers where I won by a few damage each time. Was the only 4-0 going into final round but then I ran into a Poe-Maz which I had not teched for at all. I know that might sound funny but I actually wasn't even thinking of winning/making the cut and Poe-Maz is really unpopular here in the Bay Area. So my bet worked out until the end. First two turns he hit Thermal, Falcon, and U-Wing and got Planetary out (unfortunately I never rolled any resources on my 2x Salvage Stands to prevent that. It was pretty much gg after Turn 1 tbh but I played it out. I did make the cut, where I of course met the same Poe-Maz player instead of the two people I had beaten who made the cut. Ha? Two Planetaries Turn 1 this time (because Salvage AGAIN whiffed on like six rolls). Doesn't get much more gg than that.

So the end wasn't super exciting due to my total lack of teching and just the card draws and rolls, but was really excited to make the cut and win another mat and promos that I can maybe run an event at work with or something. Honestly even if I had gone 3-2 and not made the cut, the FN games themselves made the trip worth it, so everything else was just crazy. I'm going to try to swap in 2x Sabotage for 2x Disarm to see if it's enough to give the deck a chance against Moe because it's amazing against everything else, including FN. I also added in IQA over Rocket Launcher because IQA gives you another resource side both to Salvage Stand and Bait and Switch. Other than those changes this was the deck: http://swdestinydb.com/deck/view/261601

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
life as a noob on TTS is tough. those first few games were a mess, literally. fuckin physics yo.

haha have you watched the tinygrimes tutorials? really good. it's definitely awkward the first ten games or so but then it's SUPER easy

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
my guess is this will release at nationals (Force Friday 9/1)

The combo that is going around... with Hera resolving her special to play out a ship, using it on your turn, using Recycle to get the money back from it, then claiming. Then next round deploying the ship (provided you weren't disrupted)

Responses to this seem to be pretty uniform... if the game slows down a little, this could be a huge combo.. if the game stays at the current speed it may not be as effective.

My assessment is that reports of the game's speed are greatly exaggerated. I've already played some villain and hero vehicle decks that are pretty brutal.. and the villain deck didn't even rely on unkar. goal with the villain deck is to run 4 characters and get 1 or 2 Aftermath out early. Your character dice are so potent for damage (2 trooper, 2 guavian) that you are likely to get 1 opposing character down, and maybe 1-2 of your characters going down. With 1 aftermath that just made you 3 resources. 2 aftermaths and you made 6. that's a lot of vehicles.. and if you get one of those vehicles out with three characters still alive, the ability to get 7 value showing on your dice (and your deck being packed with vehicles and such) makes Friends in High Places super brutal.

In a pretty competitive game (Aurra Jango) I had AT-ST and two speeder bikes out.

then the hero game is Mothma Moneybags.. two Quad Jumpers in that deck, and Docking Bay.. I even can discard one QJ for a reroll in turn 1 just to play it for two at the end (Docking Bay is from hand or discard.. but if I need the reroll why wouldn't I take it?). Now you start out turn 2 able to afford to get your U-Wing out action 1.

So emperor may claim quickly while doing 9 damage in a round.. but doing 9 a round after the fact isn't too hard in this deck. Falcon/U-Wing, 3PO, Mothma and two hired guns..

truly scary part is with one or two vehicles out (by turn two in two of the games I played), money becomes a non-factor.. you're usually looking at 2-3 open resources a round to use on either events or HG dice without really any restrictions or frustration.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
yeah, speed doesn't matter if you can't do anything with it. and if decks can now ramp a bit faster into supports, the whole equation is gonna change

Hera looks really viable to me right now, though Thrawn can mess her plans up

Daigoro

ooh new cards. those are pretty sweet looking.

haha have you watched the tinygrimes tutorials? really good. it's definitely awkward the first ten games or so but then it's SUPER easy

i have yeah. im getting better each game, its was just the physical dexterity part that was screwing me up at the beginning. forgetting to deselect something before moving on to another was messy.

is there a shortcut for deselecting, or is just clicking on a blank space the most efficient way of not making a mess when you want to grab another object?

Daigoro

that A280 will be going in my Leia deck for sure.

that land speeder seems pretty powerful for 2 maybe? i know theres gonna be ways to remove supports, but it seems good.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
that A280 will be going in my Leia deck for sure.

that land speeder seems pretty powerful for 2 maybe? i know theres gonna be ways to remove supports, but it seems good.

it's not bad, 1 discard is ok. The special side is a little situational though card draw is good.

Being able to play it to start a turn is cool tho

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ooh new cards. those are pretty sweet looking.

i have yeah. im getting better each game, its was just the physical dexterity part that was screwing me up at the beginning. forgetting to deselect something before moving on to another was messy.

is there a shortcut for deselecting, or is just clicking on a blank space the most efficient way of not making a mess when you want to grab another object?

add me on steam i've been playing more recently (usually 9 or later pacific)

Kawl_USC

Took another 29 person store championship today with eBala/FN/Royal guard.

I really dig this deck. It feels less frustrating than Funkar to play against as you aren't just plopping down the two zero costs supports and taking all their stuff. Which in turn means I enjoy playing the game more since my opponent isn't hating my deck lol.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Took another 29 person store championship today with eBala/FN/Royal guard.

I really dig this deck. It feels less frustrating than Funkar to play against as you aren't just plopping down the two zero costs supports and taking all their stuff. Which in turn means I enjoy playing the game more since my opponent isn't hating my deck lol.

dang man nice! always so impressive to win these big scs because you need a great deck, play, and the rolls to go your way. just everything has to come together, even to make the cut sometimes.

i'm going to one that should be 35+ next saturday. people say phas isn't quite t1 but i think this build i've been testing is about as close as you can get so we'll see. she's also so damn reliable (for a non-maz list) with her focus, imperial discipline, and bait and switch.

Got my first table flip on TTS. Had a 5 health Unkar left against a full health Rey and a 4 health Chewie. It was beautiful.

I found a full Awakenings box at Barnes and Noble today. Worked out to be $95 with the membership. Pulled the falcon I needed, thermal detonators, Poe, phasma, jabba, and crime lord. Why are holdout blasters so rare!?!?! They also had some MTG ultra pro binders and sleeves on the 50% off table.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nice pulls! I feel like they made certain cards like Fast Hands, Vibro, and Holdout as rare as legendaries sometimes.

Edit: #lifestylegames taking over all my gaming/hobby time :p

XBl6Cul.png

johnsmith

remember me
Wow, after getting wrecked the first 2 weeks I played and literally losing every single game, I ended up winning a 12 man tournament today with Baze/Snap. Feels good, definitely needed this morale boost. It's rough going from a game where you feel confident, like I do with Pokemon, to a new one where you have no idea what you're doing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's great! I don't really know hero-red archetypes that well other than Baze has big guns and It's a Trap is scary if you get caught out. :p

Kawl_USC

An overkill or two, maybe a rocket launcher and some baze dice with it's a trap is oofa doofa. And you just know if you're playing emo boys that Ani will roll his one ranged side

Kawl_USC

Triple Death Troopers is so great. I've gone 9-1 on TTS.
Yea it's fun. Just grind them out. Went 3-1 in a little 18 person kit tournament tonight. Only loss came when the second endless was in the bottom 4 cards. And that was still close.

I need to get some more death trooper dice to be able to run training...

Daigoro

got a question about Doubt. had a few situations come up recently.

i doubted a Force speed and it rolled the special. so my opponent get to use those two actions to do whatever they want, correct?

another example, i made an opponent reroll a modifier dice but the has Awakening out. are they able to use the Awakening action on my turn to resolve that modified force instead of removing it?

thanks

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

i doubted a Force speed and it rolled the special. so my opponent get to use those two actions to do whatever they want, correct?

another example, i made an opponent reroll a modifier dice but the has Awakening out. are they able to use the Awakening action on my turn to resolve that modified force instead of removing it?

thanks

Don't doubt a Force Speed! Haha but yeah the opponent gets to resolve Force Speed on your turn so they get two actions then they still get to take their turn after that.

Kawl_USC

thanks

Astro lad is right about the force speed. They cannot use awakening however. So overkill always gets removed when it's doubted for example.

Daigoro

alright thanks guys. i only rerolled the force speed because it was on the special and i was about to get wrecked, but i can def see why you don't want to doubt it in general

so something like Awakening doesn't work because it's like a separate action in itself to make the modifier work as opposed to just resolving the die? that's the way i figured it probably worked but wasn't sure.

Kawl_USC

alright thanks guys. i only rerolled the force speed because it was on the special and i was about to get wrecked, but i can def see why you don't want to doubt it in general

so something like Awakening doesn't work because it's like a separate action in itself to make the modifier work as opposed to just resolving the die? that's the way i figured it probably worked but wasn't sure.

yep, you got it. resolving it via awakenings is a separate action that they need to take on their turn. so thats not something they can do via doubt. i go back and forth on doubt on whether its a dope ass removal for free or whether it sucks (ala unpredictable). i tend to think doubt is pretty good. what decks are you playign with it though?

also: sidenote, do you guys tend to go the full 35 minutes for a tourney round? I almost always do. I'm trying to figure if it's because i'm playing thinky/slow decks or if I'm just a wanker.

Top Bottom