• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Forces of Destiny announced (animated shorts, toys, stars leading women)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MF2VFgCUSk

Summary:
  • Disney announced a new series of 16 animated shorts with an accompanying toy line.
  • The shorts star Leia Organa, Padme Amidala, Ahsoka Tano, Sabine Wren, Rey and Jyn Erso. Each character is voiced by their original voice actor from their cartoon (Clone Wars, Rebels) or movie (Episode VII), except for Leia (who is now voiced by Shelby Young). This is also true for supporting characters like Hera, Finn, Anakin, and Maz.
  • These are canon stories that fill in extra storylines about each of the characters. Maz narrates each of them.
  • One example is ”Beasts of Echo Base", which is "about Leia, Chewbacca, R2-D2 and C-3PO that takes place on Hoth before the events of The Empire Strikes Back".
  • Another is ”Tracker Trouble", which "shows that while Han, Chewbacca, Rey and Finn were traveling to Maz Kanata's castle on the Millennium Falcon, they had a major obstacle to deal with thanks to a tracker left by Unkar Plutt".
  • These shorts will be available for free on YouTube.
  • They are also starting a book line which will first adapt the shorts, and then continue from there.
  • Hasbro is releasing a new collection of "Adventure Figures", which are essentially a hybrid of a doll and an action figure. More specifically, they "aim to blend the qualities of traditional dolls (11-inch height, rooted hair, changeable outfits) with old-school action figures (weapon accessories, battle attacks)". Before you get disappointed, I suspect most of you will not like how these look.
  • Hasbro is also making a purple lightsaber and Rey's staff.
  • There will also be a clothing line eventually.
  • As is presumably self evident, the primary target audience here is younger girls, though they're hoping to make the shorts in a way that appeal to a broad range of audiences, ranging from people who have seen nothing of Star Wars, to people who know literally everything about Star Wars.
Source 1: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04...mated-shorts-and-toy-line-launching-this-year
Source 2: http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/13/star-wars-female-heroes-forces-of-destiny-stories/

The shorts and book covers:

joqay.jpg

edpz4.jpg

8bobi.jpg

3hqvp.jpg

7ao40.jpg

iiohc.jpg

Toys:

So the DC Super Hero Girls equivelant of Star Wars...cool! My daughter will like these!

Collectors might be able to kit-bash a decent 1/6 Hoth Leia out of this outfit...

quaks.jpg

EDIT: Err, nevermind, just saw that the arms/legs are plastic.... :\

Big One

Banned
Not a fan of the art style but I like the concept behind it. Hope they end up being good. Could use for some more canon Star Wars animation.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How are those any different from DC Super Hero Girls dolls?

They actually talked about this a bit:

EW said:
Other sci-fi/fantasy franchises have created special stories to attract female fans, like DC Superhero Girls, which rounded up heroes and villains into a high school. Rather than putting its heroines into a new environment, like a galactic classroom or summer camp, Lucasfilm preferred to keep the characters within the same universe as the movies, TV shows, novels, and comics.

“We didn’t want to put them in a false social construct. They’re meeting each other on Star Wars terms,” Beck tells EW. “No part of Star Wars should feel like, ‘That’s the fake Star Wars, over there.’ No matter who you are, or how young you are, you want to feel like you are sharing the same thing your dad and mom love, that your grandparents love. You want to feel like you are a part of it.”

First Leia thing without Carrie? :(

I'm sure she would've approved, tho. Never ever forget that she was a fierce advocate for gender equality, mental illness understanding & acceptance.

They actually talked about this a bit:

No, I understand that and think its a far better choice. One that could lead to me watching it which I haven't beyond a single Super Hero Girls short.

However in one of those points it says the dolls are an entirely new category they created.

So...this means Ahsoka isn't dead? Because I need her to show up in TLJ or maybe her own spinoff?

I just want live actions Ahsoka. Give it to me, Disney.

Screams "we didn't want to spend money" on that joke of a crappy flash art style. I'm willing to bet a hefty sum it's animated using crappy limited peg animation too

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No, I understand that and think its a far better choice. One that could lead to me watching it which I haven't beyond a single Super Hero Girls short.

However in one of those points it says the dolls are an entirely new category they created.

Oh, I think I misunderstood the article when it said "a new line" when referring to the toys. I'll fix that. Thanks.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So...this means Ahsoka isn't dead? Because I need her to show up in TLJ or maybe her own spinoff?

I just want live actions Ahsoka. Give it to me, Disney.

Ahsoka's got a long span of time between Clone Wars and Rebels to fill in. Her being in this doesn't really tell us anything about her fate post-Rebels.

a916

Does LucasFilms not have enough money to pony up for better art? Not digging the look at all.

I'm under the impression those are just concepts? Because even the trailer is showing animatics and the concepts in that look better than this.

I'm going to have to retract that comment until I see the final shorts

DavidDesu

holy shit.....

Anyways, I have a friend that have a lil daughter that loves Star Wars. I'm sure she will love this!

Good for Disney. Just wish they spent a little more with that art style.

Yeah these sound cool, art-style not really my cup of tea though (when for the love of god will they make that 80's retro hand drawn Tie Fighter cartoon style spin off like that guy made by himself, but officially?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom