• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Forces of Destiny announced (animated shorts, toys, stars leading women)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The art style looks like Bratz. Awful. But I'm big on the idea behind it all. Make every lead and all new characters female for all I care, as long as the story's good. It's not like anyone would kick up a fuss if everyone was male.

Gravidee

isn't it appropriate considering they will be released on YouTube?

It should still look more professional given that this is Lucasfilm/Disney that we're talking about. But, I'm only judging based off of the photos. For all I know, maybe it's decently animated which would explain the simplicity.

On one hand it's a good initiative...

Otoh the cynical in me can't help think it's an effort that's entirely marketing led and not about "doing the right thing", after a report came back to a Disney exec, saying that the SW universe was leaving money on the table by not appealing enough to the 6-12yr old girl demo.
Exec: this shall not do, we're Disney and we know Princesses and positive girl power image. Wait... Can we do this on the cheap and still make boatloads of money on dolls?

I mean, I see it as kinda both. It's the right thing to do, and there is also a very convincing business case to be made out of it.

I also highly suspect that Hasbro played a part here. For about the past half a decade or so now, the company has been expanding its traditionally boys lines towards female markets, both overtly (I.e. Nerf Rebelle) and more subtly (i.e. more cool female Transformers who also get high quality action figures) and they have reported success stemming from both approaches.

Watch this fail and then blame the girls.
Watch what fail?
Its free shorts on YouTube and dolls which are popular in that style for girls.

DC Super Hero Girls girls went more in on the toys, Star Wars on the shorts.
At least this is watchable compared to Super Hero Girls that made even villains go to Super Hero School and had Amanda Waller as principal.

shingi70

Banned
Watch what fail?
Its free shorts on YouTube and dolls which are popular in that style for girls.

DC Super Hero Girls girls went more in on the toys, Star Wars on the shorts.
At least this is watchable compared to Super Hero Girls that made even villains go to Super Hero School and had Amanda Waller as principal.

Is it more watchable?

Superhero girls isn't excatly a bad premise.

Blackage

Why does Star Wars animated keep getting budget ass stuff made. That art is awful, Rebels looks worse then Clone Wars did at the end. It's a multi-billion dollar franchise. Can you throw some money at it outside of the movies Disney? Geez.

TDLink

Art style is hideous. I hope this isn't the only thing Dave Filoni has been working on either.

The concept is great but the execution is...not looking so great. Even if the stories end up being well done. The unfinished pre-animation clone wars eps they released look better than this newgrounds flash-animation era stuff.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

c1urlhttps3a2f2fi.gya3vuaf.png

Alienate male fans... lol. How does featuring female leads alienate male fans? Do these troglodytes behind the keyboard somehow get through their daily life on planet Earth never coming into contact with the other half of the population or something??

lawnchair

Banned
Alienate male fans... lol. How does featuring female leads alienate male fans? Do these troglodytes behind the keyboard somehow get through their daily life on planet Earth never coming into contact with the other half of the population or something??

i wonder if they've ever been in a work situation with female superiors. lolll

I have no issue with female leads, those are awesome characters.
I have no issue with the art style, it's sort of reminiscient of the old Tartovsky clone wars stuff.
I have no issue with the action/dolls, they're not for me.

but dear lord that Chewbacca is AWFUL

MadeULook

I love the concept of this but dear god, that artstyle is making my eyes bleed. The art itself dosen't look all that fantastic either.

Tsunamo

Dunno if they'll go there but it'd be neat if they managed to get in Asokas final farewell from Anakin (the one talked about right before RoTS happens) in this so we'll have it in animated form.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Dear god, that show looks terrible. Like, God damn. And somehsomehow, the toys look worse. Like team america, without the parody. At least those action figures entered the realm of "it's so bad it's good". Almost.

Disney, you were doing so well.

:/

Linkura

Art style is complete and utter ass. I'm sure my niece will love it though. She's already a huge Star Wars nut at 6.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Dear god, that show looks terrible. Like, God damn. And somehsomehow, the toys look worse. Like team america, without the parody. At least those action figures entered the realm of "it's so bad it's good". Almost.

Disney, you were doing so well.

:/

They'll continue to do well (or Lucasfilm will, since they're the ones holding the reins on this). You're nuts if you think this is going to be anything other than a gold mine.

mugwhump

This concept deserves better art.

Good animation could salvage it visually, but I'm expecting something flash-tier. (And not Wakfu flash-tier.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom