• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View, coming October 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link.

When Star Wars: A New Hope was first released in 1977, part of its appeal was that the world it presented felt alive. Landspeeders and starships were dirty. Droids broke down. And it was filled with cool, weird, and really weird background characters. (Really, just take a look around the Mos Eisley cantina.) Never mind Han, Luke, Leia, Darth Vader, and Obi-Wan. Who were these other guys? What was their story? Just seeing them brought up questions for fans that sparked the imagination.

In celebration of Star Wars’ 40th anniversary, Del Rey is going to shine the spotlight on those unsung weirdos, heroes, and villains with a unique, new anthology. Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View, coming October 2017, will bring together more than 40 authors for 40 stories. Each will be told from the perspective of background characters of A New Hope — from X-wing pilots who helped Luke destroy the Death Star to the stormtroopers who never quite could find the droids they were looking for. There’s never been a Star Wars book like it, and you can get a first look at the cover below!

from-a-certain-point-owqhr.jpg

The author lineup is a selection of Star Wars all-stars, many of whom have been teasing this announcement with #OperationBlueMilk on Twitter. (Which would be an amazing hashtag, with or without this book.) The current list, with more authors to be announced closer to publication, includes:

Ben Acker & Ben Blacker
Renee Ahdieh
Tom Angleberger
Meg Cabot
Rae Carson
Adam Christopher
Zoraida Cordova
Delilah S. Dawson
Paul Dini
Alexander Freed
Jason Fry
Christie Golden
EK Johnston & Ashley Eckstein
Paul Kemp
Mur Lafferty
Ken Liu
Griffin McElroy
John Jackson Miller
Nnedi Okorafor
Daniel José Older
Mallory Ortberg
Madeleine Roux
Gary D. Schmidt
Cavan Scott
Sabaa Tahir
Glen Weldon
Chuck Wendig
Gary Whitta
And more!

All participating authors have generously forgone any compensation for their stories. Instead, their proceeds will be donated to First Book — a leading nonprofit that provides new books, learning materials, and other essentials to educators and organizations serving children in need. To further celebrate the launch of this book and both companies’ longstanding relationships with First Book, Penguin Random House has donated $100,000 to First Book, and Disney/Lucasfilm has donated 100,000 children’s books — valued at 1 million dollars — to support First Book and their mission of providing educational resources to children in need. Over the past 16 years, Disney has donated more than 57 million books to First Book.

So if you’re a fan of the desert-searching stormtroopers of the galaxy and the scum and villainy gathered in a Tatooine watering hole, you’re in luck — even if Obi-Wan might not believe in it. Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View is available for pre-order now.

Sounds nice.

So basically a nuEU version of the "Tales" novels.

I can dig it.

edit: Also, fucking Griffin McElroy contributing to an official Star Wars work. REALLY curious in seeing what comes out of that.

Oh God. So we're diving head-first back into the old EU holding pattern of "see that guy in the corner of the frame for half a second in the cantina? He was actually Grand Moff Tarkin's nephew who had an affair with Mon Mothma, invented the ATAT, and had his consciousness transported into a droid who then nearly destroyed the Death Star."

Oh God. So we're diving head-first back into the old EU holding pattern of "see that guy in the corner of the frame for half a second in the cantina? He was actually Grand Moff Tarkin's nephew who had an affair with Mon Mothma, invented the ATAT, and had his consciousness transported into a droid who then nearly destroyed the Death Star."

Given how much of a meme that's become in the intervening years, I would hope that at least most of these stories would avoid that cliche.

Like I'm certain that it won't completely be avoided (I can easily imagine a "This X-Wing pilot took a hit intended for LUKE SKYWALKER" story from the description alone) but again, I would hope that some self-awareness would be present in regards to this project.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
"There's never been a Star Wars book like it"

there are hundreds of star wars books like that. at least there were before disney ceremonially burned them all.

sphagnum

Banned

Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away already started doing stories for background characters from TFA, including one poking fun at this concept where Bobbajo secretly was the real one who blew up the Death Star.

Ogodei

This is exactly the sort of thing that made the old EU break essential. Well, that and the very detailed experiences of Luke and co post RotJ.

My favorite one of these from the old eu was definitely the stuff printed on the original xwing computer game strategy guide which really only made it so that the main character from the game was the guy in the ywing after the rebels blew up the death Star.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Paul Dini and Ken Liu stand out to me. I lost most of my active Star Wars interest during the late prequel period, but there could be some fun in this.

My favorite one of these from the old eu was definitely the stuff printed on the original xwing computer game strategy guide which really only made it so that the main character from the game was the guy in the ywing after the rebels blew up the death Star.

I believe the new canon has decided that rebel pilot is this woman standing behind Leia

Evaanimage.jpg

Her name's Evaan Verlaine

ryseing

I have this problem with the comics in that I can never buy that these events actually happened on between movies. It's weird.

I found the Darth Vader ones to be very believable with the exception of the Vader Down annual, which was compromised by having to tie in with the main book.

You really should give them a shot. They're some of the best things in the NewEU.

Dryk

I'm worried too, but I'm also hoping that the existence of Story Group will temper it

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Listening to the audiobook for this on a trip. It's quite entertaining.

Holiday Special is canon (well Bea Arthur's character is).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Finished it up. There were some nice stories in there, and some really, really, really weird ones....

I'm glad they kind-of remembered Skippy, even if he isn't a Jedi anymore.

But I have to ask, if they're going to make the
Trash Compactor Monster
(hilarious spoiler) force sensitive, why not Skippy.

Tarkin was totally the one
getting it on with the Stormtrooper

Liked the Obi-Won and Yoda chapters.

All in all a good read, even if not all of them are hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom