• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Gaming Community Thread | 1313 games, but 1313 ain't one

The rumors of 1313 being revived better be true. THAT is the current gen SW game we really need about now.

Just think, if it hadn't been canned we'd probably already have played it on Steam or PS4 by now. So sad.

have there been substantial rumors of 1313 being revived??

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't know about substantial but I've heard it mentioned before. It does look like it came a long ways only to be canned. There must be a lot to salvage from it. Maybe someone at Disney realized that. Especially as we are heading into a new era of SW and people are going to be hungry for new games, and games of that quality take a long time to make. Isn't it sensible to try to make it work and make something out of all that effort?

I don't know about substantial but I've heard it mentioned before. It does look like it came a long ways only to be canned. There must be a lot to salvage from it. Maybe someone at Disney realized that. Especially as we are heading into a new era of SW and people are going to be hungry for new games, and games of that quality take a long time to make. Isn't it sensible to try to make it work and make something out of all that effort?

wasn't it almost complete? id imagine disney and an EA studio could salvage a lot from what was done.

JDHarbs

wasn't it almost complete? id imagine disney and an EA studio could salvage a lot from what was done.
I've never seen anything that said it was almost finished. If it was then I think we would've had more than just some concept art leak after it was cancelled. That may still happen, but I still think what we saw at its E3 reveal was little more than a tech demo.

JDHarbs

Finally finished up the tabletop section, along with some other general cleanup. I'm not as well-versed with the board games so someone let me know if I omitted anything important.

I also started a timer for Star Wars Celebration in mid April. All signs seem to be pointing towards that event for the spring Battlefront reveal. EA likely wants to get Hardline out the door first before starting the Battlefront hype train so I don't expect anything until then.

t1429196400z4.png

Finally finished up the tabletop section, along with some other general cleanup. I'm not as well-versed with the board games so someone let me know if I omitted anything important.

Fantastic work mate. Well done. The only other big Star Wars game at the moment is Star Wars Armada. It's basically a larger scale version of X-Wing.

It looked like it was probably going to be Star Wars Uncharted. But that would probably be pretty good.

PBalfredo

That brings me back. I used to play that back in middle school, mostly just to have a Star Wars thing to do with my friends. I have no idea if that game was actually any good or not. I seem to remember a lot of expansions that added missions and interrupts that existed to only counter specific things in your opponent's deck, so if you didn't know what your opponent had, those seem pretty useless. I do remember going to a local tourney once and getting owned hard by my opponent just deploying a ton of cheap stormtroopers then buffing them with Trooper Assault.

pX16aw8.jpg

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
As the biggest Star Wars fan in my house I approve of this.

Just rebought a Gamecube too so will pick up the Rogue games. No I just need a component cable.

Now that the Star Wars spinoff Rogue One has been announced, hopefully it'll inspire them to make another Rogue Squadron game. I really hope these new movies lead to about a billion more SW games.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Never noticed this thread, *subbed*

When Star Wars games are good, nothing else even comes close. Even when they are mediocre they are still pretty good.

Really hope there is a new Rogue Squadron-style game for the RogueOne movie next year

Eolz

Battlefront footage, but also announcement of what other studios are working on (no footage, but name/genre/basic details).

Now that the Star Wars spinoff Rogue One has been announced, hopefully it'll inspire them to make another Rogue Squadron game. I really hope these new movies lead to about a billion more SW games.
This was my first thought. Would love more rogue squadron games.

JDHarbs

Going to be playing some Battlefront 2 in a bit if anyone wants to join in. I'll be in one of the GameMaster lobbies.

Edit: streaming http://www.twitch.tv/jdharbs
Edit 2: Nevermind, no stream. Shadowplay doesn't seem to want to work tonight. Games are still on though.

forrest

formerly nacire
Any Resogun fans in here? I just created a full set of "10" Star Wars ships and uploaded them to the game last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TCSSpXHFMM&list=PLsVDq--YhCXCNpN862eWxVB8dPw1gFfE3

Looking through the first post, I really enjoyed the SuperNES Star Wars games along with the Rogue Squadron series on GC. I've never played any of the Battlefront series, but I'll have to look into those.

Anyone recommend the MMO now that its F2P? I've looked at it many times, being a WoW player, but have never dived in, so to speak.

JDHarbs

Anyone recommend the MMO now that its F2P? I've looked at it many times, being a WoW player, but have never dived in, so to speak.
I've only played it a little, but everything I hear about it is that it never lived up to the KotOR games that it is based on. Granted, its a different kind of game, and very few ever actually live up to the expectations like it had.

It wasn't for me and a lot of other people, but there are many that enjoy it and none of them would've known that if they hadn't tried it out for themselves. Since its free, I'd say give it a shot. You might like it.

Leaning more towards the casual side, I'm thinking the odds are favorable that we are going to be getting a Star Wars based Disney Infinity 3 this holiday season, with an announcement at E3, or perhaps even Celebration.
Its definitely sounds likely, especially with the Episode VII hype that would be going on around that time.

ghostmind

Leaning more towards the casual side, I'm thinking the odds are favorable that we are going to be getting a Star Wars based Disney Infinity 3 this holiday season, with an announcement at E3, or perhaps even Celebration.

Mindlog

I've been playing Empire at War again.
It's pretty alright.

We're never going to get a Star Wars strategy game again are we :\
It will either be free to play garbage or a mod for another game.

A Star Wars RTS 4X hybrid styled after EAW, but running on something similar to the Nitrous engine would be fantastic.

Aquila

Month old rttp thread sums this up. Play for the story and just try to avoid grinding and f2p antics.

All but confirmed with the lightsaber and landspeeder easter eggs. Devs haven't said anything as far as I know, just been playfully coy.

That brings me back. I used to play that back in middle school, mostly just to have a Star Wars thing to do with my friends. I have no idea if that game was actually any good or not. I seem to remember a lot of expansions that added missions and interrupts that existed to only counter specific things in your opponent's deck, so if you didn't know what your opponent had, those seem pretty useless. I do remember going to a local tourney once and getting owned hard by my opponent just deploying a ton of cheap stormtroopers then buffing them with Trooper Assault.

pX16aw8.jpg

I was just looking at this game last night. No idea how to play it. Got it in a box of Star Wars stuff off craigslist for $10.

PBalfredo

Been playing some missions in X-Wing Vs TIE Fighter and I have to ask, what the fuck is up with capital ships that instantaneously launch adv. missiles at you the moment you target them? I'd just be cycling through crafts on my targeting computer and as soon as it brings up a Mon Cal or Star Destroyer a dozen klicks away, fucking Missile Warning, Press Space to Target. They kill you instantly if they hit you and they deviously fire in pairs. Once you shoot down one, you have to be fast on the I key to target the next or you are dead. What the fuck is up with this?

I haven't got into the Disney Infinity stuff yet but I know my kids would love it. Star Wars might be the tipping point.

Been playing some missions in X-Wing Vs TIE Fighter and I have to ask, what the fuck is up with capital ships that instantaneously launch adv. missiles at you the moment you target them? I'd just be cycling through crafts on my targeting computer and as soon as it brings up a Mon Cal or Star Destroyer a dozen klicks away, fucking Missile Warning, Press Space to Target. They kill you instantly if they hit you and they deviously fire in pairs. Once you shoot down one, you have to be fast on the I key to target the next or you are dead. What the fuck is up with this?

I cant answer your question directly but I can say that the older a game is, often the less it gives a fuck about how you complete it.

J-Rzez

Not really a star wars fan like others I guess, but I'll just chime in and say that i'm pretty excited for Battlefronts. I think it has potential to be one of, if not the biggest selling game of the year. Because, well, it maybe really good, it's battlefield, or it's star wars. Hopefully in reality it does turn out to be a really good battlefield game based around star wars, lol.

JDHarbs

Looking back at that Games of Gen 6 vote, it really goes to show just how good it was to be a Star Wars gamer back then.

Kotor 1 & 2, Rogue Squadron 2 & 3, Battlefront 1 & 2, Lego Star Wars, Republic Commando, Jedi Outcast & Academy, etc. Other greats like Episode I Racer and Trilogy Arcade just barely missed the cut too.

That list is pretty much every great Star Wars game outside of the X-Wing series and Dark Forces. I miss this gen.

PBalfredo

I cant answer your question directly but I can say that the older a game is, often the less it gives a fuck about how you complete it.

The weird thing is that this didn't happen in X-Wing or TIE Fighter, which predate it, nor X-Wing Alliance which came next. It's this weird thing that only happens in this one entry in the middle of the series. Weird.

PBalfredo

That inspired me to go pick up TIE Fighter from GOG. The comments in the TIE Fighter page are a bit misleading. They say that the GOG version is not the collector's edition, but specifically they mean the 1995 collector's edition; the 1998 CD-ROM collector's edition is included. Since that was the version I have, and have been wrestling to get to work in Windows 7, I just went a nabbed that.

Completed the first campaign in the Hoth system. There's nothing like coming out of a mission feeling like you nailed it, only to see Secret Objectives: 6 of 10 in the mission debriefing and saying to yourself "There's more?!"

What a fantastic game

Fuck Type C mines

a916

I wish they had an event schedule like E3 that showed who would be on the stage at what time. Maybe it just hasn't been released yet.

http://starwars.ea.com/news/battlef...-ramp&cid=37033&ts=1426781379642&sf36685675=1

Edit: Updated the OP with today's news.

The Battlefront twitter just released the same teaser they released 2 years ago, except with new words at the end.

It will probably be like some PAX event where they drop a trailer on the internet and at the convention and then let people go hands on with it while everyone scrambles to upload video.

ghostmind

The Battlefront twitter just released the same teaser they released 2 years ago, except with new words at the end.

It will probably be like some PAX event where they drop a trailer on the internet and at the convention and then let people go hands on with it while everyone scrambles to upload video.

Remember what they did last year with Hardline for E3. Kiosks at the event for attendees to try the game out, along with a limited-term surprise beta for the folks at home (on PS4 and PC).

Hoping they do that again.

a916

I'm fairly certain that it just means Battlefront takes place during that timeline. Before Empire Strikes Back after New Hope.

(Rebels/Clone wars on that list as well which are tv shows)

Which is interesting because rumors had it taking place up to the Force Awakens. Then again, it could just start after New Hope and run up to Force Awakens.

JDHarbs

I'm fairly certain that it just means Battlefront takes place during that timeline. Before Empire Strikes Back after New Hope.

(Rebels/Clone wars on that list as well which are tv shows)

Which is interesting because rumors had it taking place up to the Force Awakens. Then again, it could just start after New Hope and run up to Force Awakens.
I think rumors said it was going to span the entire saga, but I guess those could just be flashbacks/forwards with the main story being set in the same era as the timeline states.

http://starwars.ea.com/news/bringin...-ramp&cid=37310&ts=1427817442858&sf36685766=1

Battlfront trailer premiering at Celebration on Fri, April 17th at 10:30am pacific. Will be on YouTube shortly after.
And starting that Friday, all Celebration attendees will be able to head to their booth during the show to see more gameplay behind closed doors.

We will be hosting a panel at Celebration on April 17th, kicking off at 10:30AM PT, where we will debut the official reveal trailer for Star Wars Battlefront. Make sure to get to the show early to secure your seat. But that is not all… All attendees will have a chance to see gameplay behind closed doors during the show at our official booth along with a few other activities starting that Friday.

Their wording leaves me a little confused. Is the "behind closed doors" gameplay only available around panel-time on Friday, or will it be available for the rest of Celebration as well? I'm there on Thursday and Saturday, but not Friday. Hoping I get to see it on Saturday.

Maligna

Banned
http://starwars.ea.com/news/bringin...-ramp&cid=37310&ts=1427817442858&sf36685766=1

Battlfront trailer premiering at Celebration on Fri, April 17th at 10:30am pacific. Will be on YouTube shortly after.
And starting that Friday, all Celebration attendees will be able to head to their booth during the show to see more gameplay behind closed doors.

Their wording leaves me a little confused. Is the "behind closed doors" gameplay only available around panel-time on Friday, or will it be available for the rest of Celebration as well? I'm there on Thursday and Saturday, but not Friday.

Probably the game I'm the most hyped for this year.

Top Bottom