• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Merch |OT| Chewie, We're Broke.

Skele7on

Banned
I'm thinking the smart phone controlled BB8 and my cats are going to be arch rivals.

But could lead to great videos....

TOO TEMPTING.

Paskil

We knew Mark, Carrie and Harrison were returning in 2014 and Lucas heavily implied they would in 2013, so I doubt he saw it before it was announced Han was going to be in it.

Yeah, I was drinking already when he was talking about it. He doesn't want to confirm anything since he obviously signed an NDA, and I'm not exactly sure what he said what was revealed that was not yet shown, but I'm fairly certain he mentioned Han was shown and not yet announced. I could be wrong, though. A quick Google search shows that there was a fabric and trim wholesale thing in NYC in 8/2014. This might have been it. It might have simply been before it was officially confirmed?

All I know is that my main point is that he was stunned at the amount of Star Wars merch they had for the upcoming movie (although he probably shouldn't have been).

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah, I was drinking already when he was talking about it. He doesn't want to confirm anything since he obviously signed an NDA, and I'm not exactly sure what he said what was revealed that was not yet shown, but I'm fairly certain he mentioned Han was shown and not yet announced. I could be wrong, though. A quick Google search shows that there was a fabric and trim wholesale thing in NYC in 8/2014. This might have been it. It might have simply been before it was officially confirmed?

All I know is that my main point is that he was stunned at the amount of Star Wars merch they had for the upcoming movie (although he probably shouldn't have been).
There is no way he saw it before Han was announced if it was August 2014. It was announced officially April 2014 Ford was back as Han.

He may have not realized the cast was officially announced for a while by the time he saw the stuff? All though there was endless media about the cast announcements back in April 2014.

Lucasfilm officially announced the cast on April 29 2014, long before August.

The game?
Most comic stores or gaming stores.
You can also hit up Miniaturemarket's website and they usually have all of the X-Wing game stuff at a great price.
I want to get into it with the force awakens set, but I feel like my local store will be sold out by the time I get off work Friday.

I am tempted to drop by Best Buy and see if I can get one tomorrow... seems they are on some shelves already.

Lo6NLjO.jpg

You ain't kidding... Best Buy, despite GCU which is awesome. is just about the worst stocked store for those things I can think of. It's absolutely terrible.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck I need it.

STORE LOCATIONS (rumored): Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Apple Stores, ?

I wish they'd just tell us about this already so I can plan where I need to be to procure one.

Cheebo

Banned
They have not even been officially announced yet, they are not coming out this week.
Yes they are if this is to be real merchandise. All of the TFA merchandise is out Friday. They aren't officially announcing any of the merchandise. It's meant to be one big surprise when you go to the store on Friday. Everything we have seen so far have been leaks. None of the Legos, action figures, etc have been announced.

Well that makes it easier to plan then.
They are defiently out this Friday if they exist. You aren't going to have any official announcements of merchandise pre-Force Friday. The surprise of what merchandise there is is part of the marketing. We have had no hasbro, hot wheels, Lego, etc announcements. All will be on store shelves Friday.

STORE LOCATIONS (rumored): Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Apple Stores, ?

Add Brookstone to the list; I have a friend who works at one and he told me they'd received a shipment of the Sphero BB-8s on Monday (for sale on Friday, like the rest).

Hex

Banned
Yes they are if this is to be real merchandise. All of the TFA merchandise is out Friday. They aren't officially announcing any of the merchandise. It's meant to be one big surprise when you go to the store on Friday. Everything we have seen so far have been leaks. None of the Legos, action figures, etc have been announced.

They are defiently out this Friday if they exist. You aren't going to have any official announcements of merchandise pre-Force Friday. The surprise of what merchandise there is is part of the marketing. We have had no hasbro, hot wheels, Lego, etc announcements. All will be on store shelves Friday.

No, they are not out Friday.
Gaming is different. It is an expansion, it is not "TFA" Merchandise.
I play X-Wing, I follow the game very closely.
This has nothing to do with movie merchandising. This will be an expansion for the existing game and as such will adhere to the normal cycle for such releases,

ghostmind

This has nothing to do with movie merchandising. This will be an expansion for the existing game and as such will adhere to the normal cycle for such releases,

You do realize the new FA core set has already leaked?

The general consensus in the X-wing thread is that it will indeed be released on Friday.

Cheebo

Banned

It is considered TFA merchandise though, I do not see why it would not be. I am 99.9999% positive this is out Friday. Everything related to TFA is out friday, and none of it has had any official announcements.

And as noted above, the general consensus is this is part of Force Friday, just like all of the other unannounced TFA merchandise. Going by official announcements we technically do not know of a single toy outside of the Sphero BB-8 being released. Hasbro and Lego haven't said a word.

Hex

Banned

The general consensus in the X-wing thread is that it will indeed be released on Friday.

While I would love to see it happen..I was at my local shop when the weekly delivery hit yesterday and nadda.
It would be all Faeit or Bols by now, unless they plan to Fed Ex it out Thursday which while risky and unlikely has been done before by Wizards of the Coast in the past.

There's a lot of TFA merchandise that's not being released on Friday. There's still stuff scheduled for every month of the year. Friday is just the kickoff, not EVERYTHING is on shelves Friday.

ghostmind

While I would love to see it happen..I was at my local shop when the weekly delivery hit yesterday and nadda.
It would be all Faeit or Bols by now, unless they plan to Fed Ex it out Thursday which while risky and unlikely has been done before by Wizards of the Coast in the past.

I guess we'll find out on Friday - unless they show it during the Youtube livestream starting this afternoon.

The TFA set is a retail exclusive and is not part of the normal game cycle of releases. It's believe that the TFA set will be released hobby wide later in the future. FFG is not even announcing the set even though we know it exists. Hobby shops don't even know about it yet as FFG has not solicited to them, so the hobby community has zero input in this.

FFG did a target exclusive release of X-Wing starters before too, so this is likely just a similar thing

There's a lot of TFA merchandise that's not being released on Friday. There's still stuff scheduled for every month of the year. Friday is just the kickoff, not EVERYTHING is on shelves Friday.

True. It's rumoured the second wave of Force Awakens Black Series figures is coming as early as October. They'll be waves of merchandise before and beyond the film's release.

Hex

Banned

Well then, we will have to see won't we.
Just a side note, do you genuinely think that Fantasy Flight Games would not even officially announce it or acknowledge it two days before release if it was going to be released this Friday?
Or that no gaming site has received a preview of it? Or any official information on it?
Really?

Faiz

Like I said, it's already been found in Target.

Just a side note, do you genuinely think that Fantasy Flight Games would not even officially announce it or acknowledge it two days before release if it was going to be released this Friday?
Or that no gaming site has received a preview of it? Or any official information on it?
Really?

I don't know a great deal about the X-Wing game but as Cheebo said, Hasbro and LEGO are releasing products with no official announcements at all so it doesn't seem that unlikely. It looks like the live stream will be the only time most products are shown before they appear in store.

Hex

Banned
If so I am all for it because Target has a great coupon for Star Wars stuff.
FFG will severly piss off a good number of their brick and mortar stores if this ends up true though.

Does anybody know the item number at Best Buy for the Sphero BB-8. Calling and getting a random employee is useless at this point, and I hate to waste a trip to a best buy for nothing when I could get it elsewhere.

Is there a consensus on best retailer for Force Friday? My instincts say TRU, and I'm actually considering a midnight visit, but I wanted to check to be sure.

Cheebo

Banned
Like I said, it's already been found in Target.

If its been spotted in Target then it is coming out Friday for sure.

Really?
They can't announce it if its out Force Friday. Lucasfilm has the Force Friday merchandise on lock down. No one, even their biggest partners like Hasbro are allowed to announce/acknowledge anything.

They can't give it to a gaming site or release any official information if its out Friday. That is part of the point of Force Friday.

I just called Brookstone about the Sphero BB-8 and you would think I was asking them to give the recipe to Dr. Pepper or something... They were told they are unable to give any information about the item and if they would carry it or other items... then she told me that they will open a bit early that day....????

ghostmind

Is there a consensus on best retailer for Force Friday? My instincts say TRU, and I'm actually considering a midnight visit, but I wanted to check to be sure.

I'm going with TRU, but I'm thinking that I'll have to hit up at least a couple more stores to get everything I am looking for.

The question is - are they just going to open their doors at 12:01 for the initial wave, and then not re-open until the next morning, or are they going to stay open for a while.

I'm going with TRU, but I'm thinking that I'll have to hit up at least a couple more stores to get everything I am looking for.

The question is - are they just going to open their doors at 12:01 for the initial wave, and then not re-open until the next morning, or are they going to stay open for a while.

When you say everything you are looking for, is there some sort of indication out there as to what exactly will be released? I thought the details were kept pretty much under wraps.

EDIT: Apart from the leaks already mentioned ITT, of course.

If so I am all for it because Target has a great coupon for Star Wars stuff.
FFG will severly piss off a good number of their brick and mortar stores if this ends up true though.

Probably why it's not being advertised.

FFG will no doubt release the TFA set and expansions for it in the future at the hobby level. But this starter seems to be an event exclusive deal for Force Friday probably.

thought this might be a safe place to ask: what's the state of TFA discussion on gaf outside of spoiler threads? I understand much of the plot is out there, so i'm wondering if its safe to go to TFA threads on GAF

ghostmind

When you say everything you are looking for, is there some sort of indication out there as to what exactly will be released? I thought the details were kept pretty much under wraps.

EDIT: Apart from the leaks already mentioned ITT, of course.

With all of the leaks that have taken place (product put on shelves early, catalogs being leaked), I think there is a fair idea of what will be out there. Of course there will be some surprises - that's part of the fun.

Check out one of the larger Star Wars collecting sites (Yakface, Rebel Scum, Jedi Temple Archives) to get further details on the various leaks.

thought this might be a safe place to ask: what's the state of TFA discussion on gaf outside of spoiler threads? I understand much of the plot is out there, so i'm wondering if its safe to go to TFA threads on GAF
Most threads are gonna have at least some sort of minefield, especially in the coming months unfortunately. I would say avoid anything blacked out, regardless of the thread unless they provide suitable context that lets you know its something you would like to click. There are a lot of people who ask generally harmless questions because naturally a movie like this would raise a lot of questions. Marketing and teasers want to pique your curiousity. Oftentimes, unfortunately, those in the know feel inclined to answer. Most are careful with spoilers and label appropriately, but many are not.

Why is this stuff releasing so far in advance? I understand there are some hardcore fans that would buy it, but for most of these characters I have no context yet as to who they are, so why am I supposed to want their action figures?

ghostmind

Why is this stuff releasing so far in advance? I understand there are some hardcore fans that would buy it, but for most of these characters I have no context yet as to who they are, so why am I supposed to want their action figures?

Stores do the bulk of their sales in the 3 months leading up to Christmas. Releasing the product around December 18th would mean a ton of wasted potential revenue for stores and Disney.

That said, there will be releases between Sep. 4th and Dec. 18th, as we already know about second waves from Hasbro and LEGO, for example.

Big multi-month marketing blitz.

It does seem a bit early but not all the uprising. The Phantom Menace was less than a month I believe.

Ghostmind has a good point as well. Best to get toys out early for the fall rush.

Because the holiday season is the biggest time of year for toys, and Star Wars money is all in the merchandising. Added effect of further building hype and awareness of the film.

Stores do the bulk of their sales in the 3 months leading up to Christmas. Releasing the product around December 18th would mean a ton of wasted potential revenue for stores and Disney.

That said, there will be releases between Sep. 4th and Dec. 18th, as we already know about second waves from Hasbro and LEGO, for example.

Big multi-month marketing blitz.

It does seem a bit early but not all the uprising. The Phantom Menace was less than a month I believe.

Ghostmind has a good point as well. Best to get toys out early for the fall rush.

Because the holiday season is the biggest time of year for toys, and Star Wars money is all in the merchandising. Added effect of further building hype and awareness of the film.
I understand why stores would want it up for sale, but what is the mindset for consumers? Aside from the original characters of course, why would parents or kids be flocking to buy the new figures when they have absolutely no idea who they are or what makes them exciting yet? Like, who is Poe Dameron to people right now? He's had maybe 1 second of screen time in the trailers, but they're expecting people to buy up his toys three months in advance?

Calcium

Banned
I'm really curious to see the Sphero BB-8 in motion. If it works I'd pick one up for sure. If not, I'll just grab a few LEGO sets on Friday.

Top Bottom