• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels Season 3 |OT| Dark Forces Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
Kinda wish they'd go places like Naboo on this show at some point.
We had quite a bit of Gungan action in Clone Wars... do we really need more? :p

Seriously though, I would not be totally against it. I do wonder what Naboo is like during the Galactic Civil War period
It's kind of a dumb plot point to begin with, though: all of a sudden, after Order 66, there's a guy named Kenobi hanging around Anakin's home planet? Hmmm. HMMM.
Why's it dumb? It's been suggested that Kenobi could be a common surname. He can have relative anonymity. And Tatooine is supposed to be very backwater, nobody really knows what happens there or who lives there unless you are from there. We don't know just how many people know he goes by Kenobi, anyway. It's not like he's advertising it to everyone he meets. I'm just trying to understand your point.

Gravidee

Seriously though, I would not be totally against it. I do wonder what Naboo is like during the Galactic Civil War period

Apparently it was quite prosperous compared to other planets under Imperial rule due to it being the homeworld of Sheev and all.

Why's it dumb? It's been suggested that Kenobi could be a common surname. He can have relative anonymity. And Tatooine is supposed to be very backwater, nobody really knows what happens there or who lives there unless you are from there. We don't know just how many people know he goes by Kenobi, anyway. It's not like he's advertising it to everyone he meets. I'm just trying to understand your point.
Right. Unless you're from there. And who's from there? Darth Vader. He knows Obi-Wan survived Order 66, and even if Kenobi is a common surname (which I honestly doubt is the case), a Kenobi showing up around the Skywalker family wouldn't at last pique Vader's interest even a little bit?

Who's going to tell Vader? It doesn't seem like the Empire has any presence there. And Vader's memories of Tatooine aren't exactly happy. He probably doesn't want to think of that place at all.

Don't really care about Gungans but Naboo during the Galactic Civil War period is very interesting imo.
On one hand you have how the planet was politically pre-episode one on the other its Palpatine's/the Emperor's home planet.
And it still has an elected Queen(or king).

That and being one of my favorite designed planets i'd love to see more of it.

Galaxies had it as a main planet during the GCW and had some interesting stuff going on.
Take that old Battlefront plotpoint of the new queen assisting Jedi/Rebels and being targeted for assassination so the Empire installs a puppet Queen.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Will this season not have any filler episodes? If the rest of the season is as good as these last 2 episodes, then this will be a huge step-up from season 1 and 2, which I thought only had a handful of good episodes.

First 2 episodes have been great.

I really hope they don't throw Luke into the show in any way, shape or form. Maybe a vision of the future, but that's about it.

Tapejara

My only issue with this episode is that between the promos I felt like I had already seen most of it beforehand. Great episode on its own though, hopefully the rest of the season can keep the quality going.

Sayers

Good episode. Only issue I have is that because Rebels refuses to have multi episode arcs, the pacing for these important episodes is a full sprint from start to finish. I would have liked for them to linger on some moments a bit longer. I want to know what else Maul pulled out of Hera's head about Kanan. I want to see the Ghost crew get captured by Maul.

Seigyoku

Man the ep being up so early for some of you messed me up big time as I didn't realize it was time to ABORT ABORT LEAVE THREAD NOW. :/

And then I had to wait till midnight central to see it because SOME PEOPLE couldn't stop playing FFXI, sheesh.

Retcons turned Kenobi into a lying asshole in the 80s, what's a little more to add to the pile? haha

To which I add one of my favorite exchanges in all of TCW:

Satine Kryze: Senators, I presume you are acquainted with the collection of half-truths and hyperbole known as Obi-Wan Kenobi?
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Your Highness is too kind.
Satine Kryze: You're right, I am.

I wonder if Maul actually said his Mandalore comment knowing Sabine would KNOW what he was talking about given her lineage, or if just tossed it out to confound her.

But as crazy as the vision was, for me it was all about hearing Caleb said aloud. The Jedi-that-never-was, so adorable he was.

The Hobo

Obi Wan knew Vader would never return to or pay much attention to Tattoine. Vader himself confirms this in the Vader comic book.

I read that the voice of Maul stated that they were going to take his character in a different direction -- that his rivalry with Obi Wan Kenobi had essentially been laid to rest by the writers. The season 2 finale laid the ground work for him having a rivalry with Kanan and Ezra.

Tsunamo

Todays episode spoilers:
I'm totally fine with Maul being offed by Obi-Wan on Tattoine, while the plot doesn't really demand it and is does feel a tad fanservicey I feel like it's both a good way to kill Maul off, finish off his character arc, show tattoine, and hermit Obi-Wan in Rebels while not actually involving the Rebels or Ghost Crew.

I'm loving that they kept the quality of season 2s finale and the season 3 primere even after both. I was expecting it to drop straight after once we got back into the 20 minutes per episode format but todays episode was great. This season might finally be the one where the show hits its stride like The Clone Wars did in season 3.
I hope the season finale is
all about Maul and Kenobi with none of the Ghost crew. If they met him I would have all sorts of weird OCD issues.
I think they got away with it with
Ezra not understanding the vision fully, whereas Maul immediately was straight to go "He's alive! He's alive!" so we get a scenerio where the crew don't know where Maul's heading, but he knows where Obi-Wan is so they're out of the picture.
Spoliery speculation

The issue with Kenobi vs Maul in a movie would be the casual audience who aren't aware that he's still alive. They'd have to almost reintroduce him, which could harm the film in terms of pacing and plot.
Yeah I think it'd be more fitting if they did it in a series where he's actually been revived and had character development builtup from The Clone Wars and Rebels versus a movie where they've gotta retread that all and flesh him out in the one movie so people don't go in knowing him as the character from episode 1.

I mean it could be done, but i'd rather it be left to the medium where he got revived in.
You know who I'd like to see show up that would be a natural fit for the show?

The future leader of the Empire, (albeit merely a captain during the time of Rebels).

2a47e566f1f0e28d9ad74777c5d0372e.jpg
Having not read any of the books but hearing about her and seeing her in the Kanan comic i'm kind of suprised she hasn't appeared in Rebels yet.

shingi70

Banned
It won't happen, but I wish rebels would take the one Wars route and have different main characters here and there. That and the one off focus of episodes feels less exciting of the arc based clone wars. The one off made sense for season 1 which felt like a star wars flavored firefly, but by season 2 of rebels the scope of the show should have widened a bit more.

Man Star Wars has a pretty bad hardcore fanbase at times.
Any damn time Ahsoka or others get mentioned for Battleftont its basically "fuck that cartoon character only kids care about"
And then they'd mark out of the stupidist shit that literally had a second of screen time that less people actually care about.

sphagnum

Banned
How did Kanan not die from being exposed to outer space?

You don't die immediately from being in space. It takes a little bit. It looks like he was right at the limit.

Outer space is an extremely hostile place. If you were to step outside a spacecraft, such as the International Space Station, or on a world with little or no atmosphere such as the moon or Mars without the protection of a space suit, then the following things would happen:

You would lose consciousness because there is no oxygen. This could occur in as little as 15 seconds.
Because there is no air pressure to keep your blood and body fluids in a liquid state, the fluids would "boil." Because the "boiling process" would cause them to lose heat energy rapidly, the fluids would freeze before they were evaporated totally (There is a cool display in San Francisco's science museum, The Exploratorium, that demonstrates this principle!). This process could take from 30 seconds to 1 minute. So, it was possible for astronaut David Bowman in "2001: A Space Odyssey" to survive when he ejected from the space pod into the airlock without a space helmet and repressurized the airlock within 30 seconds.
Your tissues (skin, heart, other internal organs) would expand because of the boiling fluids. However, they would not "explode" as depicted in some science fiction movies, such as "Total Recall."
You would face extreme changes in temperature: sunlight - 248 degrees Fahrenheit or 120 degrees Celsius;shade - minus 148 degrees Fahrenheit or minus 100 degrees Celsius
You would be exposed to various types of radiation (cosmic rays) or charged particles emitted from the sun (solar wind).
You could be hit by small particles of dust or rock that move at high speeds (micrometeoroids) or orbiting debris from satellites or spacecraft.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question540.htm

How did Kanan not die from being exposed to outer space?

Plot Armor

Actually, it's quite accurate. The idea that you would die instantly in space is a movie myth. Very brief exposure as he experienced would in most cases burst some capillaries and really nothing else. Losing consciousness would be a big concern, but he got back in pretty fast. I'm not sure, but I think he really only spent about 10 seconds or so fully exposed.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

"Obi-Wan Kenobi. Obi-Wan. That's a name I haven't heard...in about four years
Actually two years, I think. :p

As others have said though, there's a lot of ways to comfortably skirt around that line.

Jetman

How did the crew of the Ghost know that Maul was part robot?

And assuming Maul is referring to Obi Wan "being alive" at the end. Any chance he could be referring to someone else like his brother Savage or Anakin/Vader?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Actually, it's quite accurate. The idea that you would die instantly in space is a movie myth. Very brief exposure as he experienced would in most cases burst some capillaries and really nothing else. Losing consciousness would be a big concern, but he got back in pretty fast. I'm not sure, but I think he really only spent about 10 seconds or so fully exposed.

Actually two years, I think. :p

As others have said though, there's a lot of ways to comfortably skirt around that line.

Aa another poster mentioned, the guy is a Jedi with the freaking Force as his ally. My partner and I did laugh aloud when Kanan was shown the door though. Classic Maul.

Tapejara

How did the crew of the Ghost know that Maul was part robot

We never actually see Maul capture Ghost crew or much of what happens when they're in captivity, so it's possible they discovered it then? As was posted earlier, it'd be cool if we could get multi-arc episodes to flesh these kinds of things out.

And assuming Maul is referring to Obi Wan "being alive" at the end. Any chance he could be referring to someone else like his brother Savage or Anakin/Vader?

Presumably the holocrons showed both Maul and Ezra a vision of Tatooine, which would suggest it's Kenobi.

Sayers

How did the crew of the Ghost know that Maul was part robot?

Savage is definitely dead. As far as we know, Maul and Anakin never crossed paths and if I am remembering Twilight of the Apprentice correctly, Maul was afraid of Vader. He certainly wasn't chomping at the bit to challenge him.

It has to be Kenobi. He says himself in TCW that he spent all of those years after TPM obsessing over Kenobi.

shingi70

Banned
So was that just a way to get the Jedi stuff out the way or something. Seems with Maul wanting Kenobi there's not alot to push the Jedi side of rebels.]Unless the rumor that
Bendu has been corrupted by the sith Holocron is true.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I honestly don't feel Obi-Wan is even on the table, there is just too much potential and audience interest in an Obi-Wan spinoff to let a cartoon use it up.

Yep I feel the same. A Ewan MacGregor big budget movie where he faces Maul would be far better on the big screen than on a animated show.

Maul is part machine? When did they bring that up?

Clone Wars show.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Man Star Wars has a pretty bad hardcore fanbase at times.
Any damn time Ahsoka or others get mentioned for Battleftont its basically "fuck that cartoon character only kids care about"
And then they'd mark out of the stupidist shit that literally had a second of screen time that less people actually care about.
We should just post a picture of Boba Fett from the Holiday Special when this comes up and argue that he is a jobber that doesnt do anything beside pulling a frozen Hab around and fucking up at the Sarlaac.
Instant win for that argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom