• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens |OT| A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Just started watching the original trilogy for the first time (watched like V when i was a kid but i can't even remember anything about it tbh)

So...A New Hope was sooooo fuckin good, blows my mind that it came out in '77, some of the effects were really damn impressive

The lightsaber fight was so awkward and stiff tho ahah

Off to watch The Empire Strikes Back now...what's the consensus about I-II-III? just skip 'em all together? i have tickets for Sunday so i got time to make it if they have any remarkable scenes in them

You'll more than likely notice some real steep climbs in production quality with Empire and Jedi, so enjoy that.

As for the prequels, I'd personally recommend skipping them until after you've seen TFA. I don't think they're truly dire, but they're certainly not good, and the new movie will no doubt go to great lengths to avoid ever really referencing them anyway.

Just started watching the original trilogy for the first time (watched like V when i was a kid but i can't even remember anything about it tbh)

So...A New Hope was sooooo fuckin good, blows my mind that it came out in '77, some of the effects were really damn impressive

Off to watch The Empire Strikes Back now...what's the consensus about I-II-III? just skip 'em all together? i have tickets for Sunday so i got time to make it if they have any remarkable scenes in them

Watch iii if you have time after you finish Empire and Jedi.

I is mediocre. II is outright bad. III is decent.

Nothing in there should be required viewing for The Force Awakens.

Boke1879

I'm excited, no doubt, but I'm really excited for my 9 year old daughter to get to experience opening night.
She's been in full Star Wars mode for about 6 months now. This'll hopefully be a fun memory with her old man that she carries with her the rest of her life. :)

:)

I'd say you can skip 1-3 for now as it's not required. It just expands on stuff. I'd say after TFA if you want to watch them. Go ahead. Judge for yourself how bad they are after viewing.

Was this posted? It's a great write up by Drew McWeeny, AKA Moriarty from AICN who used to cover Star Wars and had a Jedi Council discussion, not so much about the film itself but his experience at the premiere given for the longest time LFL had "banned him from the Ranch". There's no spoilers in the article either:
http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...o-the-premiere-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens

Thanks for that, love this part:

In general, the audience was very vocally with the movie tonight. Lots of laughter. Lots of cheering. Every time a familiar face showed up, there was applause. But I had a moment of pretty resounding embarrassment when Yayan Ruhian and Iko Uwais (from "The Raid" and "The Raid 2") showed up in the film. I've been very vocal about how much I love those movies, and those two performers are amazing. When they made their entrance, I let out a full-volume involuntary "OH YEAH," not realizing it would make me sound like the Kool-Aid Man because ABSOLUTELY NO ONE ELSE IN THE THEATER REACTED TO THEIR ENTRANCE.

lol

Meowster

I is mediocre. II is outright bad. III is decent.

Nothing in there should be required viewing for The Force Awakens.
Listen to this man, words of wisdom. I still enjoy watching them from time to time but they aren't really essential to the new movies as much as the original movies are.

Just saw ep6. Vader's
no, no, before he lifts up the emperor is so silly
. Totally forgot about that.

that's because it was added into the special editions. The vanilla OT never had the stupid NOs since it makes zero sense.

but people wanna defend that shit like it's not ridiculous

Woorloog

Banned

Well, the prequels aren't really important. You will know all the important from them from the original trilogy.

So, you will not miss anything by not watching them really.

On the other hand, why not watch them? (After the original trilogy and TFA.) They do have their moments, and they're part of SW culture so a fan might as well know them.

My recommendation is to watch the actual films, not some fan-edits, no matter what others say. For the first time, that is.

So will this new saga ever be numbered like Episode VII etc., or are we only getting titles from here on out?

Also is Thanos in this film and, if so, where does Star Wars fit in the overall Marvel Cinematic Universe?

The original trilogy's films were all marketed as "Star Wars", "Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi." It seems like they're getting back to putting more emphasis on the subtitle than on the number, at least for marketing.

Like those films (well, the latter two), I'm sure you'll see the "Episode VII" in the opening crawl.

Cth

I'm excited, no doubt, but I'm really excited for my 9 year old daughter to get to experience opening night.
She's been in full Star Wars mode for about 6 months now. This'll hopefully be a fun memory with her old man that she carries with her the rest of her life. :)

Same here except mine's 8. She's wanting to go to the film dressed as Rey and with her BB-8 droid, but she's gotta wait until she gets them at Christmas.

As an aside, I was fairly positive she didn't know the twist in ESB.. I was recording her reaction, and she was more upset about Luke losing his hand than his heritage.

It turns out the school book fair spoiled it with Vader and Son. Consequently, she said that Leia has to be Luke's sister since she remembered Vader's her dad (thanks Vader's Little Princess!)

3 has the vast majority of the "major" events of Anakin's rise/fall. The first 2 are pretty unnecessary.

I don't find them unnecessary at all. It's not JUST about Anakin. It's about the characters and battles and how the war starts up, how Sheev fucks everyone over, etc. It isn't just the Anakin show.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
For all the shit that Episode 2 gets, it has by far my favorite parts of the prequels, even if I think the movie is the worst of the three. Those parts are of Obi-Wan doing detective work. That shit was so interesting to me. All the while Obi-Wan was doing this, Anakin was caught up in his stupid love affair.

I think the prequels were at their best when Obi-Wan was doing solo missions.

Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, R2D2 and C3PO in a cardboard box talking about lunch would accomplish more worldbuilding for me than Jedis #8 through 912 walking through Spaceland talking about politics

jelly

For all the shit that Episode 2 gets, it has by far my favorite parts of the prequels, even if I think the movie is the worst of the three. Those parts are of Obi-Wan doing detective work. That shit was so interesting to me. All the while Obi-Wan was doing this, Anakin was caught up in his stupid love affair.

I think the prequels were at their best when Obi-Wan was doing solo missions.

I wouldn't mind hanging out with Natalie Portman.

Obi Wan parts were okay, Jango fight in the rain was neat but his amazing opening the door force move, nah. Should have been better in the Fett fight.

Agreed. In many ways it's the most interesting episode to me despite the weaknesses. Also the atmosphere was incredible later on as things started to pick up before Geonosis, the very ominous music, Yoda meditating and hearing the voices, etc. It felt like there were these huge cogs beginning to turn.

So this new trilogy is kind of going to be like Mission Impossible...

Different directors for each movie, with their own takes on the same genre

Pachimari

I'm currently watching Revenge of the Sith, and I can see how inconsistent the acting is, and at times it's pretty bad. I also notice bad CGI. But I like the movie, and I also liked The Phantom Menace, and don't see much wrong with them. I can't remember much of Attack of the Clones but I'm gonna watch it again after I have seen The Force Awakens.

14 hours left!

Oozer3993

The prequels are far better than angry internet nerds will admit, but they're probably unnecessary for understanding TFA. II is solid and III is great. Just turn your brain off when Anakin and Padme talk to each other. Phantom Menace is mediocre and kind of serves as a prologue. It's not 100% necessary, storywise, but moves all the pieces into place for II and III. And II and III absolutely have scenes worth seeing. And John Williams brings his A game for all three. The scores are fantastic.

Snaku

Banned
LItiWHnh.jpg

Care to guess how I'll be spending my next two evenings?

The prequels are far better than angry internet nerds will admit, but they're probably unnecessary for understanding TFA.

Probably, but at the same time I feel like context can be important, we unspoiled folk don't know how the movie plays out so who actually knows how much watching the prequels will have an effect on this, regardless to what degree. It may not be necessary on a basic level, but this is still episode 7 and those were 1-3. And if someone is interested in Star Wars, why not just go ahead? Three movies isn't going to account for too much lost time, even if you don't like em.

So this new trilogy is kind of going to be like Mission Impossible...

Different directors for each movie, with their own takes on the same genre

How is that different from Episode IV , V and VI which are considered the better Star Wars Films?

Episode IV was directed by: George Lucas
Episode V was directed by: Irvin Kirshner
Episode VI was directed by: Richard Marquand

Snaku

Banned
God I want those framed on my wall ;_;

I've thought about doing that before, but I'd rather have them easily accessible for spinning. Aside from an original print of the film, there really isn't anything like the Special Collection Laserdiscs. The colors are the closest to the original print, and there's no THX dnr. People like to trot out the Definitive LD box set but it's colors are washed out and the image is smeared with early thx dnr.

Do any of you have some cool desktop wallpapers of The Force Awakens? Just noticed I don't even have a wallpaper.

I'm using the cover of the new issue of Famous Monsters. I'd kill for a clean version.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I've thought about doing that before, but I'd rather have them easily accessible for spinning. Aside from an original print of the film, there really isn't anything like the Special Collection Laserdiscs. The colors are the closest to the original print, and there's no THX dnr. People like to trot out the Definitive LD box set but it's colors are washed out and the image is smeared with early thx dnr.
Don't even have a laser disk player! But wish I could own them ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom