• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens |OT| A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Just got out of a screening.

Short version: The Force Awakens has a lot more in common with the OT than with the PT.

The prequels are far better than angry internet nerds will admit, but they're probably unnecessary for understanding TFA. II is solid and III is great. Just turn your brain off when Anakin and Padme talk to each other. Phantom Menace is mediocre and kind of serves as a prologue. It's not 100% necessary, storywise, but moves all the pieces into place for II and III. And II and III absolutely have scenes worth seeing. And John Williams brings his A game for all three. The scores are fantastic.

PT is completely unnecessary for watching TFA. It references OT but ignores PT.

About the only thing the PT does better than TFA is dat score. Duel of the Fates stomps all over Ren's theme.

Care to guess how I'll be spending my next two evenings?

No Definitive Collection?

Probably, but at the same time I feel like context can be important, we unspoiled folk don't know how the movie plays out so who actually knows how much watching the prequels will have an effect on this, regardless to what degree. It may not be necessary on a basic level, but this is still episode 7 and those were 1-3. And if someone is interested in Star Wars, why not just go ahead? Three movies isn't going to account for too much lost time, even if you don't like em.

TFA doesn't have any connection to the prequels. If you only watch the OT and go into TFA you won't miss anything.

Boke1879

Short version: The Force Awakens has a lot more in common with the OT than with the PT.

About the only thing the PT does better than TFA is dat score. Duel of the Fates stomps all over Ren's theme.

TFA doesn't have any connection to the prequels. If you only watch the OT and go into TFA you won't miss anything.

Did you like it? Do you think most people coming out of the movie will have enjoyed themselves?

Knoxcore

I've always wished that Grevious was handled differently. He was such a cool character.

They should of make him a normal man. Introduce him in Episode I and show his progression from normal to a hybrid being and parallel his story with Vader's life support system making Grievous the genesis of the Vader suit. Frankly all the villains in the prequels were handed poorly.

I get that. But it's an episodic series and not everyone dislikes them. They should make up their own minds and at least see what went down. It's more information and insight, and even if you can watch the new ones without seeing the prequels, there's nothing wrong with some historical brushing up. Especially as you know it wouldn't take much time. It's not like getting caught up on a season of television.

I'm also, again, coming from the fact that people say this mainly because they themselves don't like them, but nobody can be spoken for.

Snaku

Banned

That box is anything but definitive.

Aside from an original print of the film, there really isn't anything like the Special Collection Laserdiscs. The colors are the closest to the original print, and there's no THX dnr. People like to trot out the Definitive LD box set but it's colors are washed out and the image is smeared with early thx dnr.

Oddduck

Question.

Can someone who has never seen the OT enjoy this film? Is it difficult to understand what's going on in the story without seeing the OT?

1. I've seen both the OT and PT in theaters, but I have a friend who has never seen a single Star Wars film.

2. There are a lot of kids who might see this movie, but they haven't seen the OT.

Thanks!

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Have IMAX tickets booked for the night before christmas with 7 other friends, but i dont think i can wait until then. Im probably gonna catch an early screening tomorrow since I have the time, and those are the only showings where there are seats still availible. Cant wait.

Can we get the short version that has actual impressions?

I would always recommend someone new to the series to watch the prequels. And not fan-made edits. The original deal as the creator intended. And then make your own opinion of them from there. I think they range on the whole from pretty fucking terrible to pretty good over the entire three movie span (with more time spent closer to pretty fucking terrible), but everyone should watch them to make their own mind up on them first. If you don't like the theatrical cuts, then you can seek out the fan edits/ignore them.

That being said, TFA was made to bring in a whole new generation of fans. You don't have to watch 1-3 to get 7. Hell you probably don't HAVE to watch 4-6 to get 7.

Syriel

Did you like it? Do you think most people coming out of the movie will have enjoyed themselves?

Well that's a positive....but did you enjoy it?

Writing up a full review now for tomorrow, but I don't think anyone's going to be disappointed. There will be some criticisms, yet I can say that I'm already planning to go see it again with a friend.

Did you think the soundtrack was satisfying?

That was one of the film's weak points.

That box is anything but definitive.

I would disagree that it is washed out or muddled.

Question.

Can someone who has never seen the OT enjoy this film? Is it difficult to understand what's going on in the story without seeing the OT?

1. I've seen both the OT and PT in theaters, but I have a friend who has never seen a single Star Wars film.

2. There are a lot of kids who might see this movie, but they haven't seen the OT.

Thanks!

You don't need to see the OT to enjoy TFA, but there are a lot of callbacks for fans of the OT. While there are returning characters, they are introduced properly when the leads meet them for the first time.

Boke1879

I would always recommend someone new to the series to watch the prequels. And not fan-made edits. The original deal as the creator intended. And then make your own opinion of them from there. I think they range on the whole from pretty fucking terrible to pretty good over the entire three movie span (with more time spent closer to pretty fucking terrible), but everyone should watch them to make their own mind up on them first. If you don't like the theatrical cuts, then you can seek out the fan edits/ignore them.

That being said, TFA was made to bring in a whole new generation of fans. You don't have to watch 1-3 to get 7. Hell you probably don't HAVE to watch 4-6 to get 7.

I'm with you. I always tell people if they want to watch the PT to just watch them. Judge for yourself after that how feel about them.

Charcoal

Writing up a full review now for tomorrow, but I don't think anyone's going to be disappointed. There will be some criticisms, yet I can say that I'm already planning to go see it again with a friend.
I just have one question. How was my boy Kylo?!

Oddduck

You don't need to see the OT to enjoy TFA, but there are a lot of callbacks for fans of the OT. While there are returning characters, they are introduced properly when the leads meet them for the first time.

Thanks for the answers! I appreciate it.

Boke1879

That was one of the film's weak points.

I would disagree that it is washed out or muddled.

THanks for the impression! Kinda bummed about the soundtrack news but oh well. I'm hopeful its good though.

Plasma

Banned
I've always wished that Grevious was handled differently. He was such a cool character.

Yeah when he turned up at the end of the Clone Wars cartoon is was a really cool introduction. Then you see him in the movie and it's just like wait what why is he some moustache twirling comedy villain now.

Quick

Banned

He was great in Star Wars: Clone Wars.

tumblr_mdx0j8uKH31rlapeio1_500.gif

tumblr_n516xgz3Vy1rawb5do1_500.gif

4227370-general+grievous+afterimages.gif

tumblr_lsppncubQ21qj1wdro8_400.gif

Blader

Here's what I would like out of this movie: a better version of A New Hope.

ANH is an iconic classic and all, but it's always been my least favorite to watch. I'm ready for JJ to give it a modernized facelift, with some cool new people along for the ride too.

Slythe

13 hours remaining, exciting times and I'm not even that into the SW universe

I'm actually on this line of thought as well. I actually really enjoy the idea of playing off if what has come before. That's how you continue a series. You can't write a sequel in a vacuum, so draw from peoples' prior experience and subvert expectations.

If anyone is wanting a completely fresh, nothing-like-it story from the Star Wars universe then I would tell them to get excited for Rogue One. The anthology films will be the venue for those kinds of experiments, which I find very appropriate.

Edit: meant to quote the post above mine

pringles

Relax. Music is so subjective it's not even funny.
This. Was reading through the early reactions of Mad Max recently and there were people saying the soundtrack was bad. I wouldn't be worried about the soundtrack to TFA unless the overwhelming opinion of it is negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom