• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens |OT| A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

pringles

It's not that the soundtrack was bad, so much as nothing stands out. It's serviceable.

By way of example, the Star Wars theme, the Imperial March, Duel of the Fates are all iconic pieces of music that stand on their own.

Aside from the reused themes, I couldn't recall any of the soundtrack from the film I just saw. None of the tracks get burned into your memory like that.

I mean, you think of Darth Vader and you immediately associate him with the Imperial March. You think of Darth Maul and you immediately associate him with DotF. You think of Kylo Ren and no theme pops into your head.
Well those are some pretty tough standards to live up to. Definitely wouldn't expect any new themes on par with those mentioned, but a lot of great musical pieces can be 'forgettable' at a first listen. So I'm just not very concerned if the first impression isn't glowing.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's not that the soundtrack was bad, so much as nothing stands out. It's serviceable.

By way of example, the Star Wars theme, the Imperial March, Duel of the Fates are all iconic pieces of music that stand on their own.

Aside from the reused themes, I couldn't recall any of the soundtrack from the film I just saw. None of the tracks get burned into your memory like that.

I mean, you think of Darth Vader and you immediately associate him with the Imperial March. You think of Darth Maul and you immediately associate him with DotF. You think of Kylo Ren and no theme pops into your head.

Damn that is a bummer, considering that's what I was expecting in some way from the score. But I guess I just have to wait until I see it.

You get to see the movie in 10 hours?

Yeah, I'm seeing Star Wars: The (M) apparently.

haxzXV-RrRlyR3cd8_wNikokB4qosmGSAEAp7NpZSgDW87gYDL8xFHfSEaxps-TW_9VT1tevP93O-e_F8tjbMw6Nm_YRd04O_pomPShqTLNt87KWyK5-0JWV6LDU_5YsAUKfI0aybfzywOoxDmIszsACquV9c0fmpODeIDqzin5TDTGTPduVWxZ5L0gw6F9oF6YoSmMjCK5EtvAuvLmvnfn7Xh823D4cf2ov52gYw9O1XR-2L8GgL79Q0h41el0Kl1HAFpOBHJ_oBrp8mJSBcR4brIH28eadiDXmji73ApdLmUTR0rAglGdqq-DaWxfx2ujSuccEYZCEPGKGmiaz0NzsWYnCfQ-i9nh5zbvJwGYIL_9mFhGdG9VNZladFvNo0S7W7eOlNvprPp6lYm7aoa35SLf7rrYaWykmXWGioqTLLGTUBDNVimpDaHS_RYq5gIYcgYcT5eZoJ9IO9R_Ew2m_-79r6ZRvsidBT8XtJimnTNsUZYSRIKdR9v3IysWv9nSwS4SSNMupQ_breXLYHBfJqr3Oa8JU9NhGd2CI0c58M-bA-xpiMNz9HeZehtRwkvvapw=w1274-h955-no

Meowster

I'm fine with any John Williams music, even if it's his excrement. I take it the music is more atmospheric than it is melodic, seeing as the melodies didn't capture you that much.

Slythe

Yeah, I'm seeing Star Wars: The (M) apparently.

That's funny, and I am super pumped for you ... but I'm really confused as to how you're seeing this Thursday a 12:01am? I was under the impression until this week that the first public screenings (non-premier non-critic) would be no earlier than 7pm. Is this just a thing is certain regions? I'm wondering if I shouldn't have ordered tickets so early...

Meowster

Apparently The Times review went up early and they gave it five stars and then put it back down so they wouldn't break the embargo?

Slythe

I'm fine with any John Williams music, even if it's his excrement. I take it the music is more atmospheric than it is melodic, seeing as the melodies didn't capture you that much.

Excellent point. If it's more atmospheric I will be initially bummed, but I'll probably end up enjoying it. Iconic Star Wars moments are often times forever tied to their scores, so I will be sad if my reaction is similar to his.

I did think it was strange that not one impression from last night mentioned the score..

That's funny, and I am super pumped for you ... but I'm really confused as to how you're seeing this Thursday a 12:01am? I was under the impression until this week that the first public screenings (non-premier non-critic) would be no earlier than 7pm. Is this just a thing is certain regions? I'm wondering if I shouldn't have ordered tickets so early...

Official release date in NZ (and Aus I think) is Thursday 17th, so at 12:01 is the earliest they're allowed to show it.

Boke1879

I keep seeing this joke but I have yet to actually see a post where someone said that

I think it was in one of the predictions threads of how much this was going to gross or how crazy tickets were selling.

Definitely saw someone say "is it even relevant?" Could have been a troll, joke post, or legit question but I do remember someone saying it.

People also said snow would prevent people from seeing it as well.

guek

Banned
I think it was in one of the predictions threads of how much this was going to gross or how crazy tickets were selling.

Definitely saw someone say "is it even relevant?" Could have been a troll, joke post, or legit question but I do remember someone saying it.

I already cringe whenever I see it quoted because it just screams pettiness but it'll be a million times worse if TFA doesn't beat Jurassic World and we see people use it again in the other direction.

thefro

Well those are some pretty tough standards to live up to. Definitely wouldn't expect any new themes on par with those mentioned, but a lot of great musical pieces can be 'forgettable' at a first listen. So I'm just not very concerned if the first impression isn't glowing.

I can only compare it to the prequels where the only tracks I remembered from the films upon walking out were the themes I had already listened to a few times as part of the pre-release hype (Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, Battle of the Heroes). All those got released before the films actually hit.

Generally people love the scores for the prequels even if they're not as good as the OT.

We'll know more once we get full reviews and we'll get the full soundtrack very soon.

It's even before that. It was in one of the first threads about Disney buying Lucasfilms or when the movie was announced.

RedSwirl

I haven't been following this discussion, but my biggest fears are that 1) Force Awakens will spend too much time being a celebration of the OT rather than an actual new chapter in Star Wars, and 2) it will end up being just a good 2015 blockbuster movie instead of a timeless Star Wars movie.

At the time, all three OT movies offered a blend of tropes, genres, and settings audiences pretty much hadn't seen before. The concept of the Death Star felt like a new thing at the time, the events on Hoth felt new, audiences hadn't really seen anything like Bespin before. I have this fear that Force Awakens and its sequels will just more standard sci-fi cinema added onto Star Wars or that it spends too much time revisiting Tatooine or wherever. My fear isn't that it might suck, but that it might just end up being another space movie made to placate Star Wars fans.

watershed

Banned
I think the score is going to deliver. The bits we've heard are great and more impressions are coming out that it's similar to the OT and fun.

BFIB

Think I might bail starting tomorrow until I see it Thurs. Got a feeling spoilers are gonna be everywhere.

I haven't been following this discussion, but my biggest fears are that 1) Force Awakens will spend too much time being a celebration of the OT rather than an actual new chapter in Star Wars, and 2) it will end up being just a good 2015 blockbuster movie instead of a timeless Star Wars movie.

At the time, all three OT movies offered a blend of tropes, genres, and settings audiences pretty much hadn't seen before. The concept of the Death Star felt like a new thing at the time, the events on Hoth felt new, audiences hadn't really seen anything like Bespin before. I have this fear that Force Awakens and its sequels will just more standard sci-fi cinema added onto Star Wars or that it spends too much time revisiting Tatooine or wherever. My fear isn't that it might suck, but that it might just end up being another space movie made to placate Star Wars fans.
The thing is, much like Jurassic Park, those milestones can never be replicated again. We can never get the incredible moment of seeing dinosaurs so lifelike on screen for the first time. We can never experience that innovative blend of tropes and genres and effects that the original trilogy delivered

It's literally impossible. A lot of the wonder, at least IMO, was driven by the fact that it was something new, never seen before

Nowadays, space spectacles and sci-fi grandeur has been done myriad times, in myriad movies, from the danger of Gravity to the beauty of Interstellar.

Expecting these new movies, even if they're Star Wars. to be able to capture what those original movies were able to, seems like overly high expectations

Boke1879

I think it's going to be both. It's going to have nostalgia and callbacks while introducing us to new characters and a new story. For both young and old fans. This movie is here to I believe make up for the OT and I do think SW fans do want a familiar feeling.

This movie I think will be kind of a proper sendoff to the OT. So while this movie may feel familiar I believe it's intentional. They want people coming out of this movie feeling good, happy, nostalgic

RedSwirl

The thing is, much like Jurassic Park, those milestones can never be replicated again. We can never get the incredible moment of seeing dinosaurs so lifelike on screen for the first time. We can never experience that innovative blend of tropes and genres and effects that the original trilogy delivered

It's literally impossible. A lot of the wonder, at least IMO, was driven by the fact that it was something new, never seen before

Nowadays, space spectacles and sci-fi grandeur has been done myriad times, in myriad movies, from the danger of Gravity to the beauty of Interstellar.

Expecting these new movies, even if they're Star Wars. to be able to capture what those original movies were able to, seems like overly high expectations

I mean, I get that. I guess what I'm saying is I want TFA to feel like an actual sequel instead of a half-remake, something that at least moves the overall story forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom