• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens |OT| A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

I mean, I get that. I guess what I'm saying is I want TFA to feel like an actual sequel instead of a half-remake, something that at least moves the overall story forward.

We are getting a new story that will move forward so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I do get your concerns but they are introducing a new trilogy to us. I feel like this movie will get us excited for the future. They want us to come out being satisfied and liking the movie.

They want us to say it reminded me of X,Y and Z, but I'm excited for what comes next. Where these characters are going. Also bear in mind this is also a movie made for people who have never seen a SW film before.

RedSwirl

We are getting a new story that will move forward so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I do get your concerns but they are introducing a new trilogy to us. I feel like this movie will get us excited for the future. They want us to come out being satisfied and liking the movie.

They want us to say it reminded me of X,Y and Z, but I'm excited for what comes next. Where these characters are going. Also bear in mind this is also a movie made for people who have never seen a SW film before.

If that's true it might be the most encouraging thing I've heard about it. It shouldn't have to be a movie that relies on nostalgia to be enjoyable.

Dispatch

So, about six weeks ago, I got everything cleared from my daughter's mother to go see this movie with her, my fiancee and my "bonus daughter" (my future step-daughter).

Now, because we are going to travel a few hours to see my parents the following evening, my ex-wife will not let me see my daughter and take her to the movie.

I'm pretty much devastated.

witness

Empire is down and tomorrow night is Jedi. Holy shit to think I'll be in the middle of seeing this in less than 48 hours. The most hyped I've ever been for a movie.

Boke1879

Oh, the nostalgia is thick with this one.

Jakku might as well be Tatooine..

And for this movie I think it'll work. It won't be for everyone, but I think majority of people want that feeling of being a kid again watching this. Just having fun. We're being introduced to new characters and seeing where that takes us.

Snaku

Banned
Empire is down and tomorrow night is Jedi. Holy shit to think I'll be in the middle of seeing this in less than 48 hours. The most hyped I've ever been for a movie.

I know, the only other movie I've been this hyped for was Phantom Menace. Sure the film didn't live up to the hype at all, but I will always remember the experience and feels of the hype.

Toa TAK

Banned
Just got my Google VR Cardboard from that one thread a few days back. The Jakku Spy stuff on the Star Wars app is a lot cooler now.

Boke1879

Amazing how many in the spoiler thread want the entire movie spoiled and detailed before they see it. I don't get it.

Just gonna say this about it and leave it alone. It's funny how people are basing certain feelings just reading impressions of other people's opinions in that thread. Of a movie that haven't seen. Now I respect some of the impressions in that thread but it won't make me feel a certain way.

I don't think people have a right to feel a certain way until they've seen it for themselves. Your impression just might differ. I feel like if you go in with a certain mindset you'll look at the movie with those goggles. I know GAF is an enthusiast forum so maybe those conversations are just going to happen regardless.

But I feel the general movie going public is going to love this film.

witness

I know, the only other movie I've been this hyped for was Phantom Menace. Sure the film didn't live up to the hype at all, but I will always remember the experience and feels of the hype.

I was almost 16 when TPM was released, and yeah that's the only comparable film I can think of. I'll always remember seeing the first trailer for it in theaters and watching those droid tanks come over the hill. I remember thinking it looked so incredible, and how we talked about the movie every morning leading up to release at school.

btrboyev

I personally feel that at this point there shouldn't even be a spoiler thread...not until the movie is out officially. I've accidentally went in the other thread twice today.

Why are people saying they would be disappointed if it retread the OT? I'm truly curious what some were expecting or looking for. Like, I really feel that it would be in their best interest to do exactly that, if it is the case, because you can thematically have similarities while still telling and setting up a new story. The nostalgia helps old fans feel comfortable and, for a majority of them, grants Disney a great deal of goodwill. In addition, the story in the OT worked because it was accessible to young and old, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that this will be a large number of peoples first Star Wars theater experience, and for some of them their first Star Wars movie ever.

Could they tell something completely new and different? Absolutely. But I very strongly feel that they needed to, for the first new entry at least, do something comfortable and use it to then launch into less retreading territory. This is exactly what I've been expecting them to do, so if it is the case, I think it's actually the smart play.

Svafnir

Why are people saying they would be disappointed if it retread the OT? I'm truly curious what some were expecting or looking for. Like, I really feel that it would be in their best interest to do exactly that, if it is the case, because you can thematically have similarities while still telling and setting up a new story. The nostalgia helps old fans feel comfortable and, for a majority of them, grants Disney a great deal of goodwill. In addition, the story in the OT worked because it was accessible to young and old, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that this will be a large number of peoples first Star Wars theater experience, and for some of them their first Star Wars movie ever.

Could they tell something completely new and different? Absolutely. But I very strongly feel that they needed to, for the first new entry at least, do something comfortable and use it to then launch into less retreading territory. This is exactly what I've been expecting them to do, so if it is the case, I think it's actually the smart play.

I fully agree with this. The main point of this first movie was to show they can do Star Wars right by all the fans of the originals. While using the cast of the originals to bridge to a new generation and a new story.

Edit: The side story movies are all being their own unique things. But episode 7 is a sequal to the originals and give me all the nostalgia now. Plus for people new to the series, why do throwbacks matter to them? Still works just fine. Best of both worlds imo.

Mistle

You just can't get worried about anybody else opinion. In regards to the music being "forgettable"... I heard people say the same about Interstellar's superb score. Opinions can so far misalign with mine that getting disappointed from reviews alone would be silly. Can't wait to hear it for myself.

Timu

Amazing how many in the spoiler thread want the entire movie spoiled and detailed before they see it. I don't get it.
Spoiled or not I'm seeing it regardless since reading about it and seeing it are different as you don't know exactly how the movie turns out until you see it anyways. Even with all the spoilers I read I still can't piece everything together because not all the details are there so seeing it makes a bigger impression than just words.

pringles

Some people have absolutely no self-control. It's just how it is. They're robbing themselves of a big part of the enjoyment of one of the biggest movie events in decades.

Boke1879

Well my group just got a bit bigger. Instead of just me and my cousin we've now added my little cousin and few friends.

Little cousin is about 8 and the other friends have seen SW movies but aren't avid fans. Nice that they are coming .

Boke1879

I don't want that because the OT already exists and I can watch it any time I wanna relive it. I watch new movies to see (gasp) new stories.

You had to have expected it would have call backs to the OT in some form. The audience has been eating all that shit up. It's why I think it'll work for THIS movie. They gotta get back goodwill after the PT.

You are getting a new story. It's just one with callbacks while introducing us to this new trilogy.

You can definitely count me in the circle of malcontents if it's a general retread. It's almost like making a movie out of a clip show. Just some fanservice, callbacks, whatever I'm fine with.

It'd have to be Austin Powers 2 bad for me to hate it.

Snaku

Banned
Star Wars has always been about callbacks. Lucas was obsessed with making it rhyme like poetry. Read up on Star Wars Ring Theory.

Slythe

I don't want that because the OT already exists and I can watch it any time I wanna relive it. I watch new movies to see (gasp) new stories.

This will be a new story. This is the opening film of a space adventure trilogy. The plot beats for that kind of movie were established with A New Hope. They work, and they are timeless (Hero from humble origins, villain with a mysterious past, smart-ass droids). The primary characters (Rey, Finn etc.) characters, and there motivations, settings, set pieces, and even factions are all new.

If you want a new story, you will get that. If you want a space story that is more experimental then it is not Star Wars that you want, and you'd be better off watching something like Moon.

Edit:
All action movies boil down to more or less the same story beats. What makes a story memorable is it's characters and it's ability to subvert your expectations.

I have no idea what's in this movie, but you are more likely to get a scene where Han tries to shoot first and his gun jams (subversion) then a scene where Han shoots first and he looks at the camera and winks (retread)

Crusader

Banned
You had to have expected it would have call backs to the OT in some form. The audience has been eating all that shit up. It's why I think it'll work for THIS movie. They gotta get back goodwill after the PT.

You are getting a new story. It's just one with callbacks while introducing us to this new trilogy.

Maybe. My take on it was that this is the only thing the most conservative, fanatical fanbase in pop media will ever accept. It's been noted that Abrams is terrified of the fan response and I don't blame him. And I highly doubt Disney's going to abandon what works and take risks in the wake of that, especially because it works so well in re: Marvel.

tl;dr- If I'm wrong, I'll happily eat my crow and several others, but I remember what happened with Zelda (albeit on a much smaller level) and I sincerely doubt Star Wars will ever be an interesting franchise ever again.

EDIT: Fair enough point in re: the prequels, except they took the setup and twisted it, which might happen here and I hope it does, but the sun's setting on that based on the impressions so far. My hypercynicism goes on overdrive when it comes to Abrams and Disney. I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I have long suspected TFA's greatest weakness will be that it adheres too strictly to ANH in too many ways, and that there will be a portion of the audience that begrudges it for that. Some will walk away genuinely upset that Abrams decided to "rehash" 1977 for 2015.

I doubt it will bother me. But I'm pretty malleable about this stuff. It's an Abrams space movie and it's going to be rich with production values and powerful moments. For me, personally, if Episode VII is way too on-the-nose about this stuff -- if the title of this thread becomes legendary satire in years to come -- I know I won't mind.

Boke1879

I have long suspected TFA's greatest weakness will be that it adheres too strictly to ANH in too many ways, and that there will be a portion of the audience that begrudges it for that. Some will walk away genuinely upset that Abrams decided to "rehash" 1977 for 2015.

I doubt it will bother me. But I'm pretty malleable about this stuff. It's an Abrams space movie and it's going to be rich with production values and powerful moments. For me, personally, if Episode VII is way too on-the-nose about this stuff -- if the title of this thread becomes legendary satire in years to come -- I know I won't mind.

I think it'll only be an issue for people being super critical imo. People may say it aligns with ANH but I don't think overall it'll be too much of an issue. Still seeing impressions and things are still positive. Even people who have issues with what you stated are saying it's a good fun movie and they enjoyed it.

Slythe

Maybe. My take on it was that this is the only thing the most conservative, fanatical fanbase in pop media will ever accept. It's been noted that Abrams is terrified of the fan response and I don't blame him. And I highly doubt Disney's going to abandon what works and take risks in the wake of that, especially because it works so well in re: Marvel.

tl;dr- If I'm wrong, I'll happily eat my crow and several others, but I remember what happened with Zelda (albeit on a much smaller level) and I sincerely doubt Star Wars will ever be an interesting franchise ever again.

Hey, I get what you're saying as Zelda has went from my favorite franchise in childhood to something I can barely muster up a passing interest in. That is a franchise that, in my opinion, has been absolutely retreaded into irrelevance.

But where you are wrong is saying that Disney won't take any risks. They are taking a very big one next year with what is essentially being called a war movie in the Star Wars universe (Rogue One). That film is supposed to focus on non-force users, and will have a completely different tone than the Saga movies. Is this a bold, incredible risk? No. But it is a risk.

TFA is kicking off the new trilogy. They have to rehab the Star Wars brand (as far as films go) before they can start churning out things like you might be imagining and turn a profit

Boke1879

Hey, I get what you're saying as Zelda has went from my favorite franchise in childhood to something I can barely muster up a passing interest in. That is a franchise that, in my opinion, has been absolutely retreaded into irrelevance.

But where you are wrong is saying that Disney won't take any risks. They are taking a very big one next year with what is essentially being called a war movie in the Star Wars universe (Rogue One). That film is supposed to focus on non-force users, and will have a completely different tone than the Saga movies. Is this a bold, incredible risk? No. But it is a risk.

TFA is kicking off the new trilogy. They have to rehab the Star Wars brand (as far as films go) before they can start churning out things like you might be imagining and turn a profit

I think Rouge One and the other anthology films are a big risk. There is no way they know if the Star Wars fandom will come out for those movies.

Slythe

I think Rouge One and the other anthology films are a big risk. There is no way they know if the Star Wars fandom will come out for those movies.

I totally agree. I guess what I mean to say is it is a calculated risk. As you point out, they have no idea if main stream star wars fans will come watch a movie with no lightsabers or Jedi. When I say it's not an "incredible" risk I simply mean that its not going to be Se7en in the Star Wars Universe.

Boke1879

I totally agree. I guess what I mean to say is it is a calculated risk. As you point out, they have no idea if main stream star wars fans will come watch a movie with no lightsabers or Jedi. When I say it's not an "incredible" risk I simply mean that its not going to be Se7en in the Star Wars Universe.

Ahh I see. You're right. It's still a SW movie so there's definitely a chance they'll get bodies in those seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom