• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFIB

oYBPzN.gif
Finn comes out of coma.

Crashes.

Falls back into coma.

OmegaFax

The trailer was alright. It literally gave nothing away. We see the main character and some Luke voiceovers.

I don't understand why the speeders are dragging red dirt along the surface of the planet. It reminds me of Han, Finn, and Chewie's rescue in The Force Awakens. The X-Wings approached low over the water giving a similar effect.

I wasn't expecting a whole lot of story or exposition. It was purely a thing to tie in with Celebration. It didn't have the punch any of the Force Awakens previews had or even Rogue One.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The defining line of his journey, his moment of moral triumph over evil is summed up in a single line:
"I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

It's not literal on either level - Anakin was kind of a shit Jedi, Luke technically hasn't finished his training. It's an invocation of what the ideal is meant to be, and in that moment he saves the fucking galaxy. To go from that to what we have now requires one of three explanations:
1) It's a matter of specificity. As someone brought up, the idea of the Jedi order vs what the Jedi represent, and otherwise it is not an abandonment of a moral good.
2) Luke was wrong in the OT. Which is a fucking betrayal of the core of the franchise, and no, just because it's 'neutral' does not make it better.
3) Luke is wrong here, and needs Rey to convince him as much.

This is some good shit.

My probable guess is that in trying to become Obi-Wan/Yoda, Luke let himself get bogged down in 'tradition', and in trying to teach things he didn't really understand, he let Kylo happen.

The 'redemption' is likely gonna be Rey getting things right, and him realizing that the old traditions really and truly don't work, so the 'Jedi' are gone, and only the 'force users for good' are going to be left. Probably some mix of #1 and #3.

If they try and stick the "Luke was wrong" in the way you're describing in #2, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

I started the trailer and saw the first couple of seconds.

You know what. I´m actually not going to watch it. Will try to go in as blind as possible this time. Watched all the trailers for the last one so i won´t this time.

Feels good.

Ridisc

Banned
Was strange that we got no dark sided members on stage this year, like they made a point of it, not even mentions of Bencio, Phasma, Hux, Kylo, it was all light side or grey.

couldn't disagree more with this. I think exactly the opposite happened.

before taking the mask, he was some generic badie with zero personality like Darth Maul.

he took the mask off and all of a sudden it's "I am a lead character bitches"

Agreed.
Adam Driver is waaaaay too good of an expressive actor to be hidden away behind a mask the whole movie.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I thoroughly enjoyed this teaser trailer. More footage will likely emerge over the summer, so good times ahead.

Daft_Cat

You guys are going to push this hard, aren't you?

Stop trying to make fetch a thing.

That Lucasfilm is likely trying to channel and maybe even one-up one of the best sequels of all time?

I mean... yeah. Not sure what your point is.

AndersK

couldn't disagree more with this. I think exactly the opposite happened.

before taking the mask, he was some generic badie with zero personality like Darth Maul.

he took the mask off and all of a sudden it's "I am a lead character bitches"

Kylo is also supposed to lose stature as he unmasks. We got this post-Darth Vader patische walking around being all badass. Turns out, he's ain't all that underneath. Not at all. And that's why he's interesting. We had the not-quite-Vader in Darth Maul, which was fine but ultimately just a cipher meant to look cool.

I'm pleased they kept this as a teaser. It doesn't really show the viewer much of the story and most of it seems to be from the beginning of the movie. Although I could have done without (seemingly) blowing the opening transition in the first teaser, it's always fun to be sitting in the theatre imaging what's going to happen immediately after the words fade.

However, my greatest fear would be for this movie to regurgitate ESB as much as TFA retread ANH. I liked TFA and viewed those decisions as a sort of franchise value realignment, but I would not be happy if that happened again and I'm not filled with confidence when I see something like this:

It's not Hoth guys, I swear. It's not snow. It's white salt flats. They're salt speeders and those are different walkers.
...we'll see.

So yeah, all that shit you thought you knew about how the Force works? That's not how the Force works. We're moving forward now.

Luke's been learning how to burn off all the shit you don't need. All the dogma, all the rules. Expectations. All that shit.

Can't wait.

This is definitely the direction I wanted them to go with the force. It's bigger than the two squabbling religious denominations we've seen so far. The jedi are not the one path, they're just a path. Like you might think of Buddhism, Christianity or Islam. Time to go off the reservation.

They hinted at it a bunch in TFA, I'm glad they'll be elaborating on it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The defining line of his journey, his moment of moral triumph over evil is summed up in a single line:
"I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

It's not literal on either level - Anakin was kind of a shit Jedi, Luke technically hasn't finished his training. It's an invocation of what the ideal is meant to be, and in that moment he saves the fucking galaxy. To go from that to what we have now requires one of three explanations:
1) It's a matter of specificity. As someone brought up, the idea of the Jedi order vs what the Jedi represent, and otherwise it is not an abandonment of a moral good.

I would assume that is what they are going for. The Jedi that we saw in the first 6 films were uptight, callous and unsympathetic. They lacked compassion in any meaningful sense of the word. Presumably Luke will try to return to the ideal notion of a Jedi, noble, humble knights who show compassion for others and will never shy away from doing what is right. Not unfeeling monks who pontificate in a literal ivory tower.

GhaleonEB

Hell no. I've been arguing for something just like that since before Force Awakens came out.

Basically, I like the idea (and have liked the idea) that this series is about a different, new angle on the Force, and on religion/spirituality in general, and letting the new characters take everything in a slightly different direction, one that rethinks how the Force can be tapped into, who can use it, and basically wipes away a lot of the assumed knowledge of how all of this works.

The idea of a character who "shouldn't be able" to tap into this power that surrounds everyone, learning and working hard to manifest that power in his own way is, I think, a great idea, and I hope Finn gets to realize that potential.

Granted, I had to take a couple days off work to come up with this.

(that one's sarcasm)

But I've been welcoming of this potential shakeup of Star Wars' storytelling since TFA was announced. The idea that Luke has realized trying to resurrect the old order is just falling into the same sorts of traps that got the Jedi killed back in the PT is an interesting one to consider, I think. And from there, it seems natural to consider the idea that if the Jedi built their order on a fundamental misconception of how the Force can be tapped into, that we'd find that out through a character's awakening in this new trilogy.

Which started with a movie literally titled The Force Awakens.

I also think it's kinda cool that everyone's been sweating the shit about parentage and secret identities and this trailer drops and people are like "wait, what the fuck, the Jedi must end? What?"

Yup. And it it cheerfully ignores the hell out of the parentage angle.

Surfinn

Hell no. I've been arguing for something just like that since before Force Awakens came out.

Basically, I like the idea (and have liked the idea) that this series is about a different, new angle on the Force, and on religion/spirituality in general, and letting the new characters take everything in a slightly different direction, one that rethinks how the Force can be tapped into, who can use it, and basically wipes away a lot of the assumed knowledge of how all of this works.

The idea of a character who "shouldn't be able" to tap into this power that surrounds everyone, learning and working hard to manifest that power in his own way is, I think, a great idea, and I hope Finn gets to realize that potential.

(that one's sarcasm)

But I've been welcoming of this potential shakeup of Star Wars' storytelling since TFA was announced. The idea that Luke has realized trying to resurrect the old order is just falling into the same sorts of traps that got the Jedi killed back in the PT is an interesting one to consider, I think. And from there, it seems natural to consider the idea that if the Jedi built their order on a fundamental misconception of how the Force can be tapped into, that we'd find that out through a character's awakening in this new trilogy.

I also think it's kinda cool that everyone's been sweating the shit about parentage and secret identities and this trailer drops and people are like "wait, what the fuck, the Jedi must end? What?"
To be honest with you I didn't think they'd have the balls to potentially throw away the Jedi.

This could be the most compelling SW film ever made if done right.

HariKari

He tries to instruct Rey to embrace this balance as well, but given she hasn't been tested by the Dark side in the past, as well as her inexperience, she falls to the Dark side completely.

Doubt it. I find it far more likely he tried to teach Kylo and he fell, and Rey will be the one to finally master it.

I have a feeling that the balance will be too far for Rey to accept. Accepting something away from just good and closer in the middle to sith will be too much for her and in the end she might walk away from it. Just like Luke decided in ESB to save his friends.

All she knows of now from stories of Luke is that Luke must be this great Jedi but now he sees past the dogmatic views of justice. Remember "point of view."

Just my opinion.

Same here.... I always thought she'd become evil. I don't think she's a skywalker... at least not yet. Daisy said on stream it will be something we don't expect, right?

I don't understand how any of you can be so thick-headed. It's IMMENSELY obvious, to the point of almost SCREAMING at you, that Rey is our hero. She is OUR HERO.

Blunoise

(that one's sarcasm)

Ah I see and yea I would like that to happen to him because as of right now his Arc is about sleeping. I kinda thought his arc would alight white Chirrut from rouge one and he would be able to tap into the force as well. I don't think he just left the first order because of a good heart.

And yes I think this move will birth the grey Jedi

Solo

Really? Rey's theme was pretty prominent

Thats the point though - I didn't pick it up. And I'd represent more of the casual SW fan perspective. If a casual fan can't place the theme, it's not iconic. Like, any person on earth knows the Imperial March. It's embedded in pop culture. I doubt many aside from SW afficianodos know Rey's theme. I sure don't.

Gorillaz

Their definitely going to double down on Driver now. He probably will still have the mask but dude is way to charismatic and has had to much praise for him to not be even more front and center.

Wondering what this means for the Finn and Poe characters. Especially Finn.

Was strange that we got no dark sided members on stage this year, like they made a point of it, not even mentions of Bencio, Phasma, Hux, Kylo, it was all light side or grey.

the panel was overall pretty disappointing imo. To begin with it was supposed to be an hour and a half, and it was less than an hour. Then the cast selection was a letdown. I know a lot of people were expecting new actors...we got one. Like, its no secret that benicio del toro or lara dern are in the movie. But they didnt even get all of the old main characters. Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver...not even Gwendoline Christie who hosted last year

sphinx

the piano man
I just noticed that Rey's lightsaber slowly transitions from being blue to being red.

Oh boy...

me too,

also, Luke and Kylo look neither good nor evil, or at least we couldn't tell from the poster who's the bad guy there.

I think this Film is all about Rey and Kylo and how they come to terms with their force alignments.

I will keep saying it: I don't think their force alignments are final, at least so far.

In TFA, Rey showed hatred and Kylo's speach prior to killing Solo showed a multilayered personality.

Kurdel

Banned
Thats the point though - I didn't pick it up. And I'd represent more of the casual SW fan perspective. If a casual fan can't place the theme, it's not iconic. Like, any person on earth knows the Imperial March. It's embedded in pop culture. I doubt many aside from SW afficianodos know Rey's theme. I sure don't.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

I recognized both her theme and notes from Kylo Ren's.

Did they really just use the same template they did for the first big TFA trailer for this and slot in new footage that fits the same beats? Jeez.

Looks ok though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom