• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
So those ships aren't trailing smoke, they're deliberately tearing up the dirt which turns into the red dust when disturbed. Maybe some kind of mineral/gas farming thing that they're trying to weaponize against the walkers?

Don't forget the poster.

wlMfX7G.jpg
I just noticed that Rey's lightsaber slowly transitions from being blue to being red.

Oh boy...

Daft_Cat

Surprised to see muted reactions in here. Thought the trailer was great. High stakes, rich visuals, intriguing as hell voiceover, and a nice sense of impending doom.

In other words, The Empire Strikes Back.

It wasn't the best trailer (at least compared to TFA's), but I still enjoyed it. That poster is absolutely gorgeous though and I want a copy of it on my wall right now.

Damn, I never even thought about how this changes Luke's journey in the OT.

:(

The defining line of his journey, his moment of moral triumph over evil is summed up in a single line:
"I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

It's not literal on either level - Anakin was kind of a shit Jedi, Luke technically hasn't finished his training. It's an invocation of what the ideal is meant to be, and in that moment he saves the fucking galaxy. To go from that to what we have now requires one of three explanations:
1) It's a matter of specificity. As someone brought up, the idea of the Jedi order vs what the Jedi represent, and otherwise it is not an abandonment of a moral good.
2) Luke was wrong in the OT. Which is a fucking betrayal of the core of the franchise, and no, just because it's 'neutral' does not make it better.
3) Luke is wrong here, and needs Rey to convince him as much.

Ridisc

Banned
Seems like we may be getting flashbacks aswell, I imagine as part of Reys training she taps into more of what happened when she touched the lightsaber, maybe we will get to see those shots of Kylo in the Rain, Lukes old school.

Prompto

Banned
When I think of teaser, I think this and this.

Hollywood marketing has been misusing that term lately. Even the trailer for TLJ was kind of verging on "this isn't a teaser really."

And let's face it, that Thor trailer was a full blown trailer 1.
They don't make teaser trailers like they used to :(

JTripper

Didn't occur to me for some reason until now, but the thought of seeing Old Luke fight in this movie gets me excited.

Might be more likely to happen in IX though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
who says the final part???

"I only know one truth... the jedi is going to end"

or something like that

Seems like we may be getting flashbacks aswell, I imagine as part of Reys training she taps into more of what happened when she touched the lightsaber, maybe we will get to see those shots of Kylo in the Rain, Lukes old school.

Yeah, it's definitely an expansion of that scene.

Sephzilla

My guess is that Luke is still shook from Kylo's betrayal and thinks both sides need to go. Rey is going to be the one who talks him out of it.

Solo

Surprised to see muted reactions in here. Thought the trailer was great. High stakes, rich visuals, intriguing as hell voiceover, and a nice sense of impending doom.

In other words, The Empire Strikes Back.

You guys are going to push this hard, aren't you?

Stop trying to make fetch a thing.

I know this is a teaser but it makes me wonder if Star Wars can continue to get away with keeping marketing as vague as The Force Awakens.

Once Star Wars movies are back at a certain point the dogfights become "yep that's some space stuff alright."

and then boom, Rey/Luke get their "I am your father" moment

Thor has a better trailer.
Last year's TFA second trailer I think was also better, but probably more because of the expectation... Hope the movie's awesome though, that it moves ahead.

I like the idea that "The Force Awakens" could end up referring to a massive shift in the Force itself rather than the Force awakening "within" somebody. As in, the Force is tired of all this bullshit about balance and prophecy and is like, "look here, fuckheads, stop being shitty." and changes the whole game

HariKari

I just noticed that Rey's lightsaber slowly transitions from being blue to being red.

Oh boy...

The entire trailer is themed around 'balance' so I imagine she'll learn to tap into her anger. Luke seems to have figured out that the whole "deny your humanity" aspect of being a Jedi is what leads to them falling to the dark side in the first place.

Is that sarcasm lol?

Hell no. I've been arguing for something just like that since before Force Awakens came out.

Basically, I like the idea (and have liked the idea) that this series is about a different, new angle on the Force, and on religion/spirituality in general, and letting the new characters take everything in a slightly different direction, one that rethinks how the Force can be tapped into, who can use it, and basically wipes away a lot of the assumed knowledge of how all of this works.

The idea of a character who "shouldn't be able" to tap into this power that surrounds everyone, learning and working hard to manifest that power in his own way is, I think, a great idea, and I hope Finn gets to realize that potential.

Granted, I had to take a couple days off work to come up with this.

(that one's sarcasm)

But I've been welcoming of this potential shakeup of Star Wars' storytelling since TFA was announced. The idea that Luke has realized trying to resurrect the old order is just falling into the same sorts of traps that got the Jedi killed back in the PT is an interesting one to consider, I think. And from there, it seems natural to consider the idea that if the Jedi built their order on a fundamental misconception of how the Force can be tapped into, that we'd find that out through a character's awakening in this new trilogy.

Which started with a movie literally titled The Force Awakens.

I also think it's kinda cool that everyone's been sweating the shit about parentage and secret identities and this trailer drops and people are like "wait, what the fuck, the Jedi must end? What?"

Pineapple

Oh boy...

Yeah, this is my theory - Luke has mastered the unifying nature of the Force, seeing past the "dogmatic" teachings of the Jedi and Sith, and truly embracing everything it has to offer. Given his power, he can maintain this balance.

He tries to instruct Rey to embrace this balance as well, but given she hasn't been tested by the Dark side in the past, as well as her inexperience, she falls to the Dark side completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom