• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeD.nL

TFA trailer #2:

Wrqojpc.jpg

TLJ Trailer:

Forceback to the destruction of Luke's temple.

Gurrry

Thats the point though - I didn't pick it up. And I'd represent more of the casual SW fan perspective. If a casual fan can't place the theme, it's not iconic. Like, any person on earth knows the Imperial March. It's embedded in pop culture. I doubt many aside from SW afficianodos know Rey's theme. I sure don't.

Most people dont recognize theme songs unless they know what they are listening to in the first place. This isnt like a theme song for a TV show thats repeated every episode. Its a score that plays during certain scenes/moments.

Her theme fits extremely well within the rest of the themes and it shouldnt "stand out" just because they want casual fans to identify it.

Zyae

This movie will have some elements of empire as its the middle movie of a trilogy which follows the basic Hero's Journey arc.

Thats the point though - I didn't pick it up. And I'd represent more of the casual SW fan perspective. If a casual fan can't place the theme, it's not iconic. Like, any person on earth knows the Imperial March. It's embedded in pop culture. I doubt many aside from SW afficianodos know Rey's theme. I sure don't.
I agree execept for the last scene "Jedi steps" not a single tune in TFA is as good as other star wars. The new tracks are worse than prequel tracks imo. But prequel tracks were good though.

Surfinn

Rey's theme pretty much slaps you in the face in the trailer. It's not as memorable or easily recognizable as imperial march but it works brilliantly.

j-wood

I'm starting to think the last line isn't Luke saying that, it's Snoke. If you listen close, it has that reverb in the voice.

Also I need that fucking poster. Holy shit.

Solo

That Lucasfilm is likely trying to channel and maybe even one-up one of the best sequels of all time?

I mean... yeah. Not sure what your point is.

There's a strong and rather bizarre desire amongst the SW fan base to draw 1:1 parallels with the OT and this new trilogy. That's all I'm taking note of. Like, why does TLJ have to be the ESB of this trilogy? Why can't it be whatever the hell it's gonna be?

Luke is going saber-less

That's not good for toy sales.

I do not know guys, I was hyped before I saw the trailer. Then as I watched it...I am just going through the safe checklist in my head.....

Show the Island...."A lot of the island" Check

Have Luke sub in for Yoda.... "down to the rocks" Check

Battle of ships like during the Death Star battle "pew pew" Check

then that kinda lame quote...

"If there is one truth, it is that the Jedi must end."

WHAT THE FUCK! I wanna be hyped but a lot of it just seems like rehashed safeness, idk man!! I REALLY REALLY want this to be good. Fuck man I really do, but I aint feeling it.

The way the rocks levitate around her hand reminds me a bit of the rainmakers powers in Looper and I can foresee a scene much like when the kid loses his temper and everything becomes suspended in mid air and people get rekt.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm starting to think the last line isn't Luke saying that, it's Snoke. If you listen close, it has that reverb in the voice.

Also I need that fucking poster. Holy shit.

It's Luke saying that. You can see his lips move.

GhaleonEB

Did they really just use the same template they did for the first big TFA trailer for this and slot in new footage that fits the same beats? Jeez.

Looks ok though

Aside from the opening shot concluding with a jolt, no they definitely did not.

you sound like that people RLM was quiping about

Nah, as even a cursory glance at my post history would tell you (I didn't care for Rogue One), but thanks for the low level trolling.

"That is there is one truth, it is that the Jedi must end."

WHAT THE FUCK! I wanna be hyped but a lot of it just seems like rehashed safeness, idk man!! I REALLY REALLY want this to bed good. Fuck man I really do, but I aint feeling it.

Yeah, having the hero character of the old trilogy in 'Return of the Jedi' saying the Jedi should end reeks of playing it safe and taking no risks.

Yeah, this is my theory - Luke has mastered the unifying nature of the Force, seeing past the "dogmatic" teachings of the Jedi and Sith, and truly embracing everything it has to offer. Given his power, he can maintain this balance.

He tries to instruct Rey to embrace this balance as well, but given she hasn't been tested by the Dark side in the past, as well as her inexperience, she falls to the Dark side completely.
That's a really good theory based on what Luke says in the trailer. Ever since the first time I saw TFA I felt that Kylo was a decoy and the final battle in the trilogy would be for Rey's soul. Now my question is will she be fighting Luke in that battle or if a certain other someone isn't a force user hiding in plain sight. Exciting times.

Shit, they're really going with that
Jedi and Sith are BOTH bad and the Force must have balance between light and dark
aren't they?

On the one hand, that contradicts everything Lucas said about the Force.

But on the other hand, Fuck Lucas, lets see how they pull this off!
I hope they are.

And I'll second the Fuck Lucas sentiment.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Feeling like Kylo might not get his helmet back, I bet he's super bummed that Rey broke his rad toy. :(

Hell no. I've been arguing for something just like that since before Force Awakens came out.

Basically, I like the idea (and have liked the idea) that this series is about a different, new angle on the Force, and on religion/spirituality in general, and letting the new characters take everything in a slightly different direction, one that rethinks how the Force can be tapped into, who can use it, and basically wipes away a lot of the assumed knowledge of how all of this works.

The idea of a character who "shouldn't be able" to tap into this power that surrounds everyone, learning and working hard to manifest that power in his own way is, I think, a great idea, and I hope Finn gets to realize that potential.

Granted, I had to take a couple days off work to come up with this.

(that one's sarcasm)

But I've been welcoming of this potential shakeup of Star Wars' storytelling since TFA was announced. The idea that Luke has realized trying to resurrect the old order is just falling into the same sorts of traps that got the Jedi killed back in the PT is an interesting one to consider, I think. And from there, it seems natural to consider the idea that if the Jedi built their order on a fundamental misconception of how the Force can be tapped into, that we'd find that out through a character's awakening in this new trilogy.

Which started with a movie literally titled The Force Awakens.

I also think it's kinda cool that everyone's been sweating the shit about parentage and secret identities and this trailer drops and people are like "wait, what the fuck, the Jedi must end? What?"

That would be smart, and would basically make him Corran Horn, but there's also the possibility that they're just gonna make a mistake with Finn and fuck it up but not doing this.

LNBL

So that was Luke watching the initial attack on his Jedi Temple at the hands of Phasma, I'm guessing?
No i think the first scene is the one where the temple is destroyed and the second one is the attack in the ship we see. She's walking in a ship in that one.

Balance to the Force Prophecy is bullshit no?

Balance is Equality right? When have we ever seen Balance in Star Wars?

Emperor Palpatine using the dark side to cloud the Force and throw the galaxy into chaos isn't balance.

People living in harmony with the Force would be balance.

You don't necessarily need to say that "harmony with the Force" means "equality between light and dark." You could say that harmony with the Force is light and dominion over the Force is dark.

I get why Star Wars wants to go with the former (yin and yang), but what I don't get is how they're supposed to reconcile that with the latter, which is the model they've used throughout the rest of the series.

Unless they find a convincing way to say that model is incorrect, or that the dark side isn't actually about people wielding selfish influence over the Force. (Even though it continues to be so in TFA.) But I'm very skeptical of that.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The question is if Rey is wielding a red Sith lightsaber (synthetic crystals) or a red Jedi lightsaber (natural crystals). Or simply a red non-faction lightsaber if we are to exclude Jedi/Sith.

Solo

Most people dont recognize theme songs unless they know what they are listening to in the first place. This isnt like a theme song for a TV show thats repeated every episode. Its a score that plays during certain scenes/moments.

Her theme fits extremely well within the rest of the themes and it shouldnt "stand out" just because they want casual fans to identify it.

Rey's theme pretty much slaps you in the face in the trailer. It's not as memorable or easily recognizable as imperial march but it works brilliantly.

I'm not trying to say the music isn't good - all the music in TFA and in this trailer is good. Just that I don't feel that any of it was so memorable that it imbedded itself in pop culture like the force theme, the Imperial March, or even Duel of the Fates (which was everywhere in 1999).

JTripper

Teaser gave me the impression that these new Star Wars films are finally ready to head in their own direction since TFA and RO gave us the necessary nostalgia.

I'm so ready for more Kylo.

This is some good shit.

My probable guess is that in trying to become Obi-Wan/Yoda, Luke let himself get bogged down in 'tradition', and in trying to teach things he didn't really understand, he let Kylo happen.

The 'redemption' is likely gonna be Rey getting things right, and him realizing that the old traditions really and truly don't work, so the 'Jedi' are gone, and only the 'force users for good' are going to be left. Probably some mix of #1 and #3.

If they try and stick the "Luke was wrong" in the way you're describing in #2, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

I would assume that is what they are going for. The Jedi that we saw in the first 6 films were uptight, callous and unsympathetic. They lacked compassion in any meaningful sense of the word. Presumably Luke will try to return to the ideal notion of a Jedi, noble, humble knights who show compassion for others and will never shy away from doing what is right. Not unfeeling monks who pontificate in a literal ivory tower.

It's the option I would hope for most. Luke evidently got big on Jedi history to at least some extent or another, so I would at least understand if perhaps he took the wrong lessons from such, and when things went back to shit, that gave him a crisis of faith.

However, the fandom has long been big on the idea of 'Grey Jedi' - look at how the term gets tossed around in this thread - wherein no assumption of a moral good is made, while nevertheless tying 'the light side' explicitly to the Jedi Order, rather than viewing the Jedi merely as one variant on possible adherents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom