• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer

rekameohs

Banned
tumblr_inline_oo1uk6vgWQ1sxok59_540.gif

You can tell it isn't even Hayden's body lol
Wow, I never realized how horribly composited this was. Look at Hayden’s neck sink into that torso!

Davide

The Hayden ghost is actually one of the few changes I actually like for the OT. Makes a lot more sense to show Anakin in the conclusion of his story how we knew him before he turned.

And why isn't Obi-Wan young too. What, was young, hot Anakin the one who was redeemed and not old Darth Vader?

Fucking Yoda should have less wrinkles too if we're doing this.

Lol George

Lol George
It's been explained before. Or at least tried to be. It falls down to you either believe the reason or not.
The Hayden ghost is actually one of the few changes I actually like for the OT. Makes a lot more sense to show Anakin in the conclusion of his story how we knew him before he turned.
I do too even though people throw a fit at the sight of it. But I personally really like it.

molnizzle

I’d be less enraged by Hayden if Ewan was there to his right. Or if he was at least aged digitally. Something. Sorry, the flimsy ass excuse George gave doesn’t hold up.

Luckily what I’m talking about doesn’t even matter since the Despecialized Editions are the only versions of the OT that exist and are also the canonical beginning of the Star Wars saga since there are no other movies that take place before them.

Aselith

And why isn't Obi-Wan young too. What, was young, hot Anakin the one who was redeemed and not old Darth Vader?

Fucking Yoda should have less wrinkles too if we're doing this.

Lol George

Lol George

They are the age they were when they died. So Obiwan is old cause he died as an oldie but Anakin is young because he died when he became Darth Vader!

molnizzle

I feel like the only people who don’t hate the prequels must have been kids when they released. That’s the only possible explanation.

They are the age they were when they died. So Obiwan is old cause he died as an oldie but Anakin is young because he died when he became Darth Vader!

I can't believe people still don't get it after all this years XD

I actually like the change but my only issue is that it looks kinda awkward.

I feel like the only people who don't hate the prequels must have been kids when they released. That's the only possible explanation.
Yep, that's me alright. Watched Episode 1 and 2 on DVD and saw Episode 3 in theaters. Didn't see the originals until years later.

If I remember right, I only ever liked Episode 1 because of the pod racing and the Maul fights. Episodes 2 I loved it once we got into the Geonosis arc (you know when all the cool stuff happens). Episode 3 was pretty much great all around, that fight at the end had me floored and the Vader reveal had me floored (I knew about, but because I didn't see the originals I was pretty shocked). Of course this was the opinion of childhood me.

Now, I still really like Episode 3, 1 is okay and 2 is a bit of a mess but doable.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Makes no sense. Anakin died a shrivelled old man on the Death Star 2. That's the whole point of the story. Luke refuses to accept Yoda/Ben's insistence that Anakin was destroyed when he became Darth Vader and is proved right when he saves him from Palpatine. Darth Vader is not some demon who inhabited Anakin's corpse, Darth Vader is Anakin after some bad choices.

George was just too lazy to shoot a proper insert for that scene and just used a costume test clumsily pasted on with an eyeline that doesn't match Yoda and Obi-Wan in the wide shot. If he'd given a shit they could have just aged Hayden with make-up and made him smile. Instead the last thing we see Anakin doing is his evil death stare. Out of laziness George had to come up with that bullshit story about how Anakin dies when he became Darth Vader.

Not

Banned

How very stupid

Since when are force ghosts beholden to Obi Wan's Certain Point of View

Georgus Christ.

I can't believe people still don't get it after all this years XD

I actually like the change but my only issue is that it looks kinda awkward.
Problem is that it could have looked a lot better if George Lucas actually took Hayden for a special shoot where Hayden would know that he's being filmed for a change in the end scene of VI instead of just taking a costume test and added that in.

Anakin would have looked better that way instead of what we got now.

Either way this is going to go nowhere.

Davide

Makes no sense. Anakin died a shrivelled old man on the Death Star 2. That's the whole point of the story. Luke refuses to accept Yoda/Ben's insistence that Anakin was destroyed when he became Darth Vader and is proved right when he saves him from Palpatine. Darth Vader is not some demon who inhabited Anakin's corpse, Darth Vader is Anakin after some bad choices.

Again, Anakin never even looked like normal Sebastian Shan. Why does age even matter for a freaking ghost? Yeah, Anakin dying when he turns is bs but looking like an old unblemished Sebastian Shan doesn't make any sense either.

molnizzle

Again, Anakin never even looked like normal Sebastian Shan. Why does age even matter for a freaking ghost?

Because it’s jarring next to old Obi-Wan. Shit makes no sense. Anakin didn’t “die” when he became Darth Vader. He just started using a different name.

If they wanted to use Hayden they should’ve aged him with special effects. Or used Ewan for Oni-Wan.

Or better yet - just stopped fucking with old ass movies. They can just be old ass movies, that’s fine. lol

Ushojax

Again, Anakin never even looked like normal Sebastian Shan. Why does age even matter for a freaking ghost?

It was a change that was not needed, done purely for cosmetic "continuity" reasons, with no regard for the integrity of the story. You don't fuck with an old classic just to insert some shit that nobody asked for. If he had left that scene untouched would people have been clamouring for it to be changed?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yes. But if past films are any indication, we'll get an international trailer with some new footage at some point, and a hajillion TV spots.

Which I'll be totally skipping.

If I was strong enough, I'd have not watched this trailer but I can't go from April to December without any new footage, I'd go crazy. Fuck talk show clips, commercials and future trailers, though. I can watch 2 months.

Davide

If they wanted to use Hayden they should've aged him with special effects.
How does it make sense for age to have taken its toll on Anakin just for a ghost form but not any his injuries especially when he had been severely burned for the past twenty years? Sure it may be jarring seeing him next to old Obi-Wan but I think it's better having someone there who the audience will actually recognize as Anakin.

It was a change that was not needed, done purely for cosmetic "continuity" reasons,with ni regard for the integrity of the story. You don't fuck with an old classic just to insert some shit that nobody asked for. If he had left that scene untouched would people have been clamouring for it to be changed?
Well, this is more of a general complaint against the special editions now.

And I hate the majority of the changes, the Blu-ray ones in particular. But if Lucas was going to change anything, I understand this one.

The main problem with the Hayden ghost is that it makes it so there is no one right order to watch the films for newcomers. It turns what should be a climactic moment into "wait, who the fuck is that?".

Einchy

Inserting force ghost Hayden isn't a case of hating George's decisions just because he's Geroge, that is legit one of the dumbest changes he did. Not only does it not make sense in the story but it was implemented horribly.

Ushojax

How does it make sense for age to have taken its toll on Anakin just for a ghost form but not any his injuries? Sure it may be jarring seeing him next to old Obi-Wan but I think it's better having someone there who the audience will actually recognize as Anakin.

Well, this is more of a general complaint against the special editions now.

And I hate the majority of the changes, the Blu-ray ones in particular. But if Lucas was going to change anything, I understand this one.

At the end of the day you can only judge what is on screen. While Hayden might be more recognisable as Anakin, the execution of the alteration is so shoddy that it ruins the moment anyway.

I mean, just look at that. Obi-Wan smiling benevolently at the heroes, Anakin doing an evil stare in a totally different direction. The execution is so shoddy it's almost spiteful.

Davide

I mean, just look at that. Obi-Wan smiling benevolently at the heroes, Anakin doing an evil stare in a totally different direction. The execution is so shoddy it's almost spiteful.
It was definitely done without much care. If they brought Hayden in for VIII it would be nice if they also improved the ghost at the end of VI.

Einchy

If they brought him back, and I doubt it since they wouldn't have blown their load on that artbook, it would've been so fucking cool to have seen the semi-vader force ghost. It would've been a great twist on force ghosts.

Ushojax

If they brought him back, and I thought since they wouldn't have blown their load on that artbook, it would've been so fucking cool to have seen the semi-vader force ghost. It would've been a great twist on force ghosts.

I think if we do ever see it, that's how they will do it. It would mean they can avoid using Christensen and give it a more ethereal vibe. The translucent blue ghosts would look really lame in a modern film, I'd like to see them as more of a phantasm. An echo of the past rather than people who can just walk around and chat.

If they didn’t immediately give Anakin the Darth Vader suit in 3, it could’ve been neat to see Hayden in flashbacks to those early Empire days. Still a scarred to hell cyborg, but not the full Vader getup.

Guy wore the same suit for 20 years or so.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Ghost Hayden is the worst thing George ever did and that's saying something. He literally took the worst thing from the PT and shoved it into the perfect ending of the OT. It was an insult.

Not

Banned
Ghost Hayden is the worst thing George ever did and that's saying something. He literally took the worst thing from the PT and shoved it into the perfect ending of the OT. It was an insult.

The worst thing he did was the extra noooo. Can't watch any new version of Return of the Jedi. It's like the anti Blade Runner.

Ushojax

The worst thing he did was the extra noooo. Can't watch any new version of Return of the Jedi. It's like the anti Blade Runner.

But don't you see...George didn't have the technology to have Darth Vader say NOOOOO back in 1983. For 30 years people had no idea what was happening in that scene until the magic of computers allowed them to fix it.

That's the day I turned. I had money saved and the Blu Ray six disc set on pre-order. When news hit, I thought someone was joking or trolling. When the video got posted, I lost my shit. That was the turning point where I fucking realized that I was also fooling myself about the prequels. I will take a million JJ Abrams Star Wars clones over anything modern day Lucas touches. Thanks for Star Wars George and for selling it to Disney, now enjoy your retirement and go away please.

Yeah, this gets my vote, too. Undermines Vader's redemption, replaces a face you saw ten minutes earlier with one from three movies ago (who Luke wouldn't recognise at all :p), and it's such a poorly-executed special effect to boot.

Second worst alteration obviously goes to the CGI rocks R2 hides behind in ANH.

Top Bottom