• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

aett

75 on the fleet on my server. Seems kinda low, but it is Sat late morning.

Oh god, 75 on the Imp fleet on my server is high. I rolled a Cyborg Consular last night and got to the Pub fleet to find only 20 people, which sort of killed my desire to play on the Republic side until after I can transfer my characters to a more populated server.

HBroward

So, just a heads up. You can apparently place bound mods into legacy gear, and transfer it to alts, who can then take it back out. Might want to get on that if you have some alts, before it gets fixed.

Do you know how slow Operatives move compare to the force user class? We don't have the bouncy ability. Anyway, the nerf suck especially the long ass cool down on backstab/backblast. That really break my rhythm ...

Boss knock backs are not that ridiculously far that it takes forever to get back, and ops and such all have multiple range abilities they can use on their targets as they close in which mauraders and such dont, which we don't always have access too btw since it does have a CD. Often in raids I will get knocked back several times in a row and have to walk my ass back to the boss like others do too, all while I got crap for range to use while moving in. The damage differences between the classes is not going to be that wide of a gap

Draxal

Boss knock backs are not that ridiculously far that it takes forever to get back, and ops and such all have multiple range abilities they can use on their targets as they close in which mauraders and such dont, which we don't always have access too btw since it does have a CD. Often in raids I will get knocked back several times in a row and have to walk my ass back to the boss like others do too, all while I got crap for range to use while moving in. The damage differences between the classes is not going to be that wide of a gap

It's an issue if you're going to take a melee based class in an operation right now it's going to be a marauder, it's not just knockbacks, you also have adds fights/and aoe fights where you have to run out.

Just think it of like this, marauders have enough to make it worth bringing run over another gunslinger/commando/sage who have more dps uptime. Operatives don't.

edit.

Fleets aren't exactly a good metric post patch, try searching for 50's instead.

Musta picked a shitty server, getting near 300 at prime time since patch at fleet

Do you really feel the need to defend everything that Bioware do? How about instead of blaming a player for picking shitty server why not blame the dev for shitty servers management. My current server is decent but I log into my first server a d it was still pretty barren though better than it has been for the last two weeks.

gatti-man

Do you really feel the need to defend everything that Bioware do? How about instead of blaming a player for picking shitty server why not blame the dev for shitty servers management. My current server is decent but I log into my first server a d it was still pretty barren though better than it has been for the last two weeks.

You do realize the opposite could be said for you. Expecting bioware to maintain constant population perfection in a launch window is unrealistic. After the first year things will settle down. If the op wanted a high pop server he should have picked one. I chose kv to play with gaf and its relatively low pop. That was my choice.

Musta picked a shitty server, getting near 300 at prime time since patch at fleet

Not really. It was packed when the game was released and was still pretty populated after the 30 days. Now its a ghost town. The Micro-instancing of all the different planets, along with no world chat means there really is no sense of anyone around at times.

KePoW

Banned
So, just a heads up. You can apparently place bound mods into legacy gear, and transfer it to alts, who can then take it back out. Might want to get on that if you have some alts, before it gets fixed.

Not quite sure I understand, when you take the mod back out, does it not have a level requirement still?

Do you really feel the need to defend everything that Bioware do?

I've had my own complaints many times before such as the shitty job with pvp they have done, but I'm not going to nitpick constantly or talk about it endlessly like some folks. You seem to just always complain, can say the same to you.

Not really. It was packed when the game was released and was still pretty populated after the 30 days. Now its a ghost town. The Micro-instancing of all the different planets, along with no world chat means there really is no sense of anyone around at times.

The lack of chat has always been a problem which still makes no sense why they haven't implemented global channels, especially global LFG ones. Even at launch though with full instances, folks claimed the zones felt empty and they were alone. It's been said before but a large issue is just related to the massive size of some of the planets later on and with no global chats it feels extra empty. And it's rare that the instancing system ever kicks in anymore since theres not that many people on a single planet much, even in the daily areas where you do find others often. It's not hugely different from the pops of leveling zones in other MMOs like WoW, where your in an area with 1 or two other players doing quests, but the lack of global chats really hurts the game when trying to do heroics for sure, people always have heroics in their quest log and don't find groups. If we had global chats you could at least find players who need to complete them at fleet and other planets instead of hoping for luck of there being others in the same zone.

Let me expand.

There are tons of mobs, and plenty of quest NPCs. There are a few static 'town NPCs' but there are no 'random' NPCs that make the world feel alive.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
The issue with all the parses coming out is that they are using the training dummy. Once we start to see a lot of parses for FP/OPS then the OP DPS will be much much lower since BW decided to give all the bosses knockbacks plus initial travel time to bosses.

That's the biggest issue facing OP DPS right now. Minor issues are gaps in the rotation now because of the BS cooldown change which causes major energy issues if you fill that gap with anything but rifle shot.

edit* when I say OP DPS I mean concealment. Lethality is lol.

Except the fact that operatives have several ranged abilities that can at least put up decent numbers until they get back in ranged. Poison dart ---> grenade ---> auto attack ---> and we're back. You also have the advantage of being able to throw down an orbital strike on fights that require you to run out for a period of time--something that pure melee don't have the luxury of doing.

Although I do agree, something like shadowstep would be really awesome for operatives (and solve a lot of their positioning/setup issues), but that will probably have to wait for a new expansion.

gatti-man

Let me expand.

There are tons of mobs, and plenty of quest NPCs. There are a few static 'town NPCs' but there are no 'random' NPCs that make the world feel alive.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. I have several do nothing npcs wherever I go. I wish they had routines but they are there.

So what servers are most GAF members on currently? I took a long break after getting to lvl 50 on my JK but now I'm looking into getting back into the game and rolling a new character (SW probably).

Bought my first piece of war hero gear. As a dps shadow, I bought a force healer ear piece. Power and surge, needed that to compliment my BM set.

arimanius

Except the fact that operatives have several ranged abilities that can at least put up decent numbers until they get back in ranged. Poison dart ---> grenade ---> auto attack ---> and we're back. You also have the advantage of being able to throw down an orbital strike on fights that require you to run out for a period of time--something that pure melee don't have the luxury of doing.

Although I do agree, something like shadowstep would be really awesome for operatives (and solve a lot of their positioning/setup issues), but that will probably have to wait for a new expansion.

I semi agree except they would need to buff our range a little to compensate for not having a gap closer.

If they want to go that route instead of a gap closer I don't have any issues with it.

edit* Like I said this is just what I've "seen" without any logs. Will be interesting to see more data come out to see if all these class perceptions are true.

So HM Soa is a complete joke now. One shotted. Anyone else run EV post patch?

People used to say it was easy before. The hardest part of Soa was dealing with all the bugs and randomness.

Let me expand.

Some towns are better than others in this regard, some are real static and boring especially alot of the quest hubs. Some areas need more NPCs like Coruscant which should have ton of people walking around. The amount of NPCs that display (the ones you can't click on or mouse over) is supposed to be dependent on your system, but even maxed out some areas have little going on. They said at the guild summit that they want to go back to areas around the game and add more NPC's and such when they were asked about it. No idea when this will happen but also was when they were talking about going back over parts of the game world and upgrading the static chairs to allow players to sit in them, which they didn't enable till late in the beta, but never upgraded the rest of the worlds chairs.

UltraMav

Yep, and now the bugs seem to finally be gone. Heard the new ops is actually challenging even on normal mode. Hopefully that means mechanics and not bugs...

aett

So the massive presence boost from having human/companion's maxed out is pretty significant while leveling an alt.

I just have the 50 bonus points from finishing all the companion quests on one character, and I can see a big difference. I kinda want to spend the 500k on the human unlock, but I think I should save that for future legacy stuff.

Giolon

Well it seems like Bioware was misleading at best, lying at worst when they said that almost any gear could be RE'd into moddable schematic. The only new moddable schematics provided this patch are:

Weapons (via mission discoveries)
PvP armor (purchased)
Campaign Op Armor (RE'd out of Campaign Ops gear)

Nothing else can be RE'd into a schematic.

And strangely, the PvP gear still has Valor requirements on it, even though if you just purchase the gear from a vendor it does not...

Well it seems like Bioware was misleading at best, lying at worst when they said that almost any gear could be RE'd into moddable schematic. The only new moddable schematics provided this patch are:

Weapons (via mission discoveries)
PvP armor (purchased)
Campaign Op Armor (RE'd out of Campaign Ops gear)

Nothing else can be RE'd into a schematic.

And strangely, the PvP gear still has Valor requirements on it, even though if you just purchase the gear from a vendor it does not...

In a March Q&A they said the NEW end game gear could be RE'd, and all end game gear going forward. Think people didn't notice they said new and figured any current end game gear at the time would be able to be RE'd as well and not just the new stuff. Course most designs in the game outside of the old end game stuff has orange sets available it seems, though they probably should see about letting people learn some of the different color options out there that can only be gotten through quests.

The Valor requirement on the orange WH gear was known for a while, I imagine the idea is that they want players who are wearing them to be actual PVP players and make it visible when in PVP that they are experienced players and not just some random noob wearing an orange set with shit mods? Sucks though, some of it I really like and would have bought the orange versions of for a custom get up.... not sure if I want the valor grind meh.

Any orange gear with augment slots on it are going for insane amounts.

Zafir

I'm wearing the orange moddable war hero set on my Jugg. Only two pieces are augmented so far though. I'm working on getting augment slots on other pieces too, but critting can take a while. I'd rather have valor requirements on it than every tom dick and harry being able to wear the gear. Is the requirement a bit high? Maybe. But it links up with the name, when you reach rank 70 you get the War Hero title.

Eitherway I can confirm the transferring of BoP mods to other chars works using legacy gear. Just moved some of my spare Force Master Columi gear mods onto inquisitor legacy gear for the Sorc I'm levelling.

Draxal

In a March Q&A they said the NEW end game gear could be RE'd, and all end game gear going forward. Think people didn't notice they said new and figured any current end game gear at the time would be able to be RE'd as well and not just the new stuff. Course most designs in the game outside of the old end game stuff has orange sets available it seems, though they probably should see about letting people learn some of the different color options out there that can only be gotten through quests.

The Valor requirement on the orange WH gear was known for a while, I imagine the idea is that they want players who are wearing them to be actual PVP players and make it visible when in PVP that they are experienced players and not just some random noob wearing an orange set with shit mods? Sucks though, some of it I really like and would have bought the orange versions of for a custom get up.... not sure if I want the valor grind meh.

Any orange gear with augment slots on it are going for insane amounts.

George Zoeller had diarrhea of the mouth and really should learn to control what he says (promises the moon and doesn't deliver) as he originally stated what Giolon said.

gatti-man

I'm wearing the orange moddable war hero set on my Jugg. Only two pieces are augmented so far though. I'm working on getting augment slots on other pieces too, but critting can take a while. I'd rather have valor requirements on it than every tom dick and harry being able to wear the gear. Is the requirement a bit high? Maybe. But it links up with the name, when you reach rank 70 you get the War Hero title.

Eitherway I can confirm the transferring of BoP mods to other chars works using legacy gear. Just moved some of my spare Force Master Columi gear mods onto inquisitor legacy gear for the Sorc I'm levelling.

So if i have a bm set and buy war hero gear and pull the mods out of the bm gear will the set bonus transfer?

I am actually really enjoying the interface editor. Is there any way to flip the companion bar to be horizontal?

Also, AA was improved by turning it off and on again (lol tech support). Still not great though. Their "high" is like 2x.

Wallach

I am actually really enjoying the interface editor. Is there any way to flip the companion bar to be horizontal?

Also, AA was improved by turning it off and on again (lol tech support). Still not great though. Their "high" is like 2x.

Can you not change the units per slot in the UI editor like the other quickbars? I haven't tried with the companion bar. That would be the only way to do it I think.

Also yeah, the in-game AA in SWTOR is pretty bad compared to driver AA. It runs worse, too.

Dunlop

90 minutes of tying to get any HM group formed on the station on asaturday night ends in failure.

My will to keep playing this game is starting to be chipped away

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
How is guardian dps/pvp compared to sentinel? Really having a hard time deciding which to pick.

Sentinel is better, but not by much. Go sentinel if you like the idea of two lightsabers, and only ever want to dps. Go guardian if you like the idea of a single saber and want to flirt with tanking.

There's barely anyone on my server either.. every zone less than 10, usually less than 5, with about 70-80 in IMP fleet at peak times but it can get up to about 120-150 on a good day.

I think people just don't have anything to do, give the game some time. That being said I canceled my sub for the time being, but i'm keeping a close eye.

Tarazet

I got my Assassin alt to 50 a few days ago. With the new Corellia dailies it took me no time to get a full set of 126 stuff, and the new orange legacy belts and bracers are a godsend if you've played enough to hit Legacy 20. Those things were as rare as hen's teeth before. Upshot is that in less than a week, some Artificing to get a purple offhand and some Biochem on my main to get purple implants, I had enough gear to tank HM Black Talon and Boarding Party, do my job properly and not feel like the weak link. The Tionese pieces are much cheaper now as well.. already picked up my bull horn headpiece.

I feel like in general, a lot of the changes in 1.2 were attuned to helping fresh 50's get into endgame more easily. Our guild saw that and so now there's a flood of people getting serious about their alts and getting a new lease on life with the game.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I got my Assassin alt to 50 a few days ago. With the new Corellia dailies it took me no time to get a full set of 126 stuff, and the new orange legacy belts and bracers are a godsend if you've played enough to hit Legacy 20. Those things were as rare as hen's teeth before. Upshot is that in less than a week, some Artificing to get a purple offhand and some Biochem on my main to get purple implants, I had enough gear to tank HM Black Talon and Boarding Party, do my job properly and not feel like the weak link. The Tionese pieces are much cheaper now as well.. already picked up my bull horn headpiece.

I feel like in general, a lot of the changes in 1.2 were attuned to helping fresh 50's get into endgame more easily. Our guild saw that and so now there's a flood of people getting serious about their alts and getting a new lease on life with the game.

Yep. Now rateds just need to come out so the same thing happens with PvP. Right now anyone with full BM and proper custom mods for 75% surge is just absolute stomping right now. Once all the BM geared peeps move on to rated, regular warzones will probably become a lot more fun and friendly for fresh 50s and alts.

Wallach

I just did a test where I took the armoring out of my Champion legs and put them into some BM orange shell pants, and it does seem to count towards the set bonus of my other existing BM pieces. I don't know if it would work if there was not a core piece actually starting that set bonus or not (i.e. all orange pieces).

Measley

Any hope of a LFD or LFR mechanic in this game? I know people think such tools are a community killer, but I honestly think that WoW is still alive and well because these tools allow low population servers and solo players to enjoy content.

Top Bottom