• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Leunam

Yeah, never wait until it's too late to call someone out for suspicious movement, rolls, or anything like that. I've seen it plenty in Magic and Warhammer and it's better to let them know right away that you're watching them.

Nete

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/5/4/the-academys-finest/

lieutenant-colzet.png
commander-alozen.png

zertik-strom.png
juno-eclipse.png

standard-vs-juno-eclipse.png

Colzet will be a pain as a support ship with Accuracy Corrector, TLing damaged ships even if he won't shoot them.

I don't really like Alozen, but Strom+Jax should be hilarious. For itself, the bane of many swarms.

And holy cow with Juno's dial due her ability. Add Stay on Target to the mix, and her mobility becomes insane. With VI-X1-ATC, she is a PS10 pilot with a free crit and the best dial in the game for 30 points.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I like Colzet with Fire Control System. Maybe give him a Proton Rocket so he can punch through some shields and put a damage card on an enemy ship, then get a target lock after the attack, then spend the target lock during the End Phase to flip that damage card face up. Would be pretty nasty for 26 points.

Juno definitely is going to see play, though. Her movement options (including green maneuvers) rival a TIE Interceptor or A-Wing. Really good.

Just got back from a tourney, it wasnt long but it was the best turnout the store got, to the point that they want to host more events, which is great.

Only thing is, I swear I played a guy who cheated. Friend of mine warned me that he'd played him before and swore at one point he changed his move. So when we're playing, every turn, as I'd be moving my third ship, his dial would be in his hand, and I cant prove it, but the way he held it looked like he could easily be shifting it with his thumb. Every move.
Then I spoke to someone else about it and they said he pulled a similar stunt with them.

Calling him out if I ever play him again. Was really annoying.

I can never understand people like this. Is their self esteem so low that they feel the need to cheat in game about flying tiny plastic toys around? It's about having fun with cool looking models and meeting like-minded people, winning is just a cool little bonus that actually doesn't mean anything.

I am sorry you had a negative experience, I hold the -Wing community in very high esteem. It's always disappointing to hear about cheaters.

I can never understand people like this. Is their self esteem so low that they feel the need to cheat in game about flying tiny plastic toys around? It's about having fun with cool looking models and meeting like-minded people, winning is just a cool little bonus that actually doesn't mean anything.

I am sorry you had a negative experience, I hold the -Wing community in very high esteem. It's always disappointing to hear about cheaters.

Some people just really want to win and so they find those areas where it is easy to "cheat" without being obvious about it. Holding a maneuver dial seems so natural. You're just getting ready to reveal it and the motions to adjust it would be so tiny. It's stupid but it happens. You'll also see stuff like careful nudging without seeming to nudge (oh, I almost bumped but didn't).

I would have trouble playing against an opponent who held their next dials constantly. It is like stealth dice rollers in DnD, I know 99% of people who do it are just doing it out of habit but it is the first step in cheating the system so it makes me uncomfortable when folk do it.

I've never had the enjoyment of playing against an opponent like this, but some of my locals have told me that they've played against opponents who have made multiple defense dice rolls during a single attack, claiming that any poor results they have scrapped are just mock rolls and don't count since the attack hasn't started yet. It is some real shitty behavior.

FeD.nL

That's a strong list. Personally I would drop Expert Handling off Leebo and probably replace it with Determination or Lone Wolf, but other then that I can't really see any problems.

Thanks, and thanks for the suggestions will try the list out today.

I went to the store yesterday to get two Z-95's and to my surprise I found a Tie Interceptor hidden away behind some Star Trek miniatures (probably someone that wanted to buy it later) so pretty happy with that one and to top it off I couldn't contain myself and got an E-Wing.

Love the design of that ship and Etahn A'baht looks really interesting.

Tensketch

Yeah, never wait until it's too late to call someone out for suspicious movement, rolls, or anything like that. I've seen it plenty in Magic and Warhammer and it's better to let them know right away that you're watching them.

I would have trouble playing against an opponent who held their next dials constantly. It is like stealth dice rollers in DnD, I know 99% of people who do it are just doing it out of habit but it is the first step in cheating the system so it makes me uncomfortable when folk do it.

I've never had the enjoyment of playing against an opponent like this, but some of my locals have told me that they've played against opponents who have made multiple defense dice rolls during a single attack, claiming that any poor results they have scrapped are just mock rolls and don't count since the attack hasn't started yet. It is some real shitty behavior.

Yeah, next time I see him I'll just politely ask him to not hold his dials like that because it looks like he's changing the move. If he isnt cheating and he still wins, then it's no big deal, so it shouldnt be a problem.

If he is cheating though, he's been to a few tourneys and placed decently each time and it's just despicable.

Yeah, next time I see him I'll just politely ask him to not hold his dials like that because it looks like he's changing the move. If he isnt cheating and he still wins, then it's no big deal, so it shouldnt be a problem.

If he is cheating though, he's been to a few tourneys and placed decently each time and it's just despicable.

If it's at an event you can also bring your concerns to the TO. Tell them that even if nothing inappropriate us going on you'd prefer their to be no chance of any "accidents".

MrChom

My attitude is if you want to cheat then cheat, I'm not going to, and I hope it makes you feel like a bigger man doing so to win at toy soldiers.

I'm at events for a good laugh, and to chuck some dice, it's your choice to be a dick or not about that, and 99% of gamers turn out to not be dicks about it. You always get one, though, and they inevitably get called on it in the final.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It's against the rules to hold your maneuver dial before it's time to flip it over. The rules say to set your maneuver dial down on the table next to the ship it belongs to before the Activation Phase begins; the next time it's touched is when it's that ship's turn to move and you flip the dial over. If anyone doesn't follow that rule, you need to tell that person to cut it out.

Tensketch

My attitude is if you want to cheat then cheat, I'm not going to, and I hope it makes you feel like a bigger man doing so to win at toy soldiers.

I'm at events for a good laugh, and to chuck some dice, it's your choice to be a dick or not about that, and 99% of gamers turn out to not be dicks about it. You always get one, though, and they inevitably get called on it in the final.

He's winning some decent prizes though, prizes that players worthy of winning are missing out on.

chugs

Neo Member
Just got back from a tourney, it wasnt long but it was the best turnout the store got, to the point that they want to host more events, which is great.

Only thing is, I swear I played a guy who cheated. Friend of mine warned me that he'd played him before and swore at one point he changed his move. So when we're playing, every turn, as I'd be moving my third ship, his dial would be in his hand, and I cant prove it, but the way he held it looked like he could easily be shifting it with his thumb. Every move.
Then I spoke to someone else about it and they said he pulled a similar stunt with them.

Calling him out if I ever play him again. Was really annoying.

Yeah like other people have pointed out, you can kindly request he puts his dials on the table. If he's not willing to oblige, you can have the TO ask it as well.

I run tournaments out of Kitchener Waterloo here in Ontario, and I'd definitely be okay with any player requesting this.

By standard I don't start a movement round until all dials are face down and beside the ships.

Tensketch

Yeah like other people have pointed out, you can kindly request he puts his dials on the table. If he's not willing to oblige, you can have the TO ask it as well.

I run tournaments out of Kitchener Waterloo here in Ontario, and I'd definitely be okay with any player requesting this.

By standard I don't start a movement round until all dials are face down and beside the ships.

The way he played it would be he would put his dials down and then while I'm moving, he would 'forget' his move and occasionally say 'now what move did I put in?' look at it and then just hold it. It wasn't until after the game that I realised what he could have been doing because it was every round. The only time he didnt do it was when his ships were on my side of the board. Once he got his ships back to his side, it started again.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The way he played it would be he would put his dials down and then while I'm moving, he would 'forget' his move and occasionally say 'now what move did I put in?' look at it and then just hold it. It wasn't until after the game that I realised what he could have been doing because it was every round. The only time he didnt do it was when his ships were on my side of the board. Once he got his ships back to his side, it started again.

it's against the rules to look at a face-down maneuver dial once the Activation Phase has started without asking the opponent's permission. so he shouldn't have even been allowed to do that, let alone hold the dial and possibly turn it.

it's against the rules to look at a face-down maneuver dial once the Activation Phase has started without asking the opponent's permission. so he shouldn't have even been allowed to do that, let alone hold the dial and possibly turn it.

Yep, if the dial is going to be looked at the opponent must ask "is it okay for me to take a look at what I chose here?" then they are allowed to glance at the chosen maneuver then they must immediately place it back face down.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm confident I've seen some guys who are slick with their hands change their maneuver. If you see someone handling the dial too much, ask them to leave it in place / immediately flip it upright on the table.

Finally opened Armada for May the 4th day. Play a game with my son and it feel a lot like inverse Xwing. It was a lot if fun but just the core set feel a bit restricted. I will have to play full game to form proper opinion, the game is good and the miniatures and components are lovely.

Tensketch

Making a mega-thread for all of them would just be chaotic. If the Armada talk gets big enough, then a separate thread for that could be made but at the moment, it's only brought up every now and then so I personally dont mind it showing up in here every now and then, at least from a comparison to X-Wing perspective.

Question, I just got the most wanted expansion and I was wondering if those new astromechs are only usable with scum.

They are considered "Salvaged Astromech" upgrades which only Scum ships currently have a slot for, so unless there's some special ships or cards that end up coming out for Rebel that allow them to use that slot then currently only Scum ships can use them (and inversely, Scum ships can't use "Astromech" upgrades that Rebels can use).

Tensketch

I honestly cant see any more astromechs, salvaged or otherwise, coming out in future waves. unless we get the X-Wing fix and they think more astros are the answer. Otherwise they're hardly used.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I honestly cant see any more astromechs, salvaged or otherwise, coming out in future waves. unless we get the X-Wing fix and they think more astros are the answer. Otherwise they're hardly used.

Except in one of today's most popular lists, Panic Attack, which uses R3-A2 on a Warthog Y-Wing to great effect.

Nete

Yep, it's pretty good to see where is going the meta.

I also use X-wing Lists Juggler to see the more "unorthodox" lists, usually outside the tops. Some pretty interesting stuff. And some other kinda weird :p

Tensketch

I've never been happy with the stock firespray paint job, I felt it was too dull. So I spent a few hours this morning intensifying the colours to satisfy my Fettish (sorry)

The Green is Vallejo gunship green as it's more of a subtle greyish green that works for the Slave 1 scheme. I re-did the lines with chaos black.
This was also my first try at glazes, I made the red more intense by taking evil sunz scarlet, and doing a 1:4 paint to water ratio, then adding 2 drops of thinner medium to increase the acrylic whilst keeping the paint thin. I was happy with the end result.

FeD.nL

That looks great! Damn almost makes me wanna head into town and pick up some paint, but I know I don't have the patience or skill for it.

Nete

Back from the regional. Has been... weird. Tons of fun, tho.

I've finished with an awful 1-5, but I honestly feel I've only been outplayed in two of those 5 loses. The other three, 2 were literally decided on the last roll of the game, and the third the dices were in "fuck you" mode.

First game:
-Kath (Mangler, Mercenary Copilot, Engine)
-Echo (VI, Intelligence Agent, ACD)
-Dark Curse

Starting in opposed corners, he focused fire on my Firespray and it went down pretty quickly. Meanwhile, I crippled Kath (Mangler out) and was unable to kill a 1-hull Dark Curse for a gazillion turns. On the last turn with Kath and Jax left, I managed to place Carnor at Range 1 from her with Focus. I only needed a couple hits to kill her and win the game. Rolled 4 blanks.

Seconda game:
-Chewie (Gunner, C3PO, Draw their fire (!), Falcon)
-2x Blue B

Chewie won this game. From opposed corners again the Blues were easy picks for Carnor-Soontir and the Bounty Hunter support, but I never had a chance against the goddamn wookie, who cleaned the table. Specially after crashing Soontir against an asteroid on a "must do" move, for 2 damage.

Third game:
-Soontir (PTL, AT, Stealth, Royal Guard)
-Whisper (VI, FCS, ACD, Intelligence)
-Royal Guard (VI, AT)

As it's pretty common on a Interceptor duel, dices decided this, although I made some moves that didn't help at all. I failed to one-shoot his Soontir (1 hull left). He killed mine in one turn. I failed to kill Whisper (1 hull left), he steamrolled the poor Firespray. Carnor received a crucial Damaged Engine (all turns are red) while stressed and running away from Whisper/Soontir that left him out of combat for a while, giving him the edge to swarm Soontir. Jax survived, tho.

Fourth game:
-Guri (AT, Virago, Inertial, can't remember what else)
-Kath (Inertial, HLC I think, and something else)
-Z-95

My BH served as a slow jousting bait for their ships, managing to survive the pass while Soontir and Carnor attacked his flank and hammered Kath. She was finished by my BH shooting backwards, and the dance between Guri and the Interceptors (with the Z trying to block) started. A 3 blank evade roll granted Soontir to die after smashing Guri to 1 hull, but Carnor and the BH finished the job.

Fifth game:
-Brobots B-C (Predator, Advanced Sensors, Mangler, Inertial, AT)

My first game against a Brobots list, and FFS. He focused on the Firespray while I tried to shoot down Brobot B. The Firespray lasted a bit more than expected and I did bring down B to 2 hull kinda fast, but from there I was unable to deal more damage. Soontir was like 4-5 rounds at range 1 from him, always with focus, and nope, nothing. Carnor survived. Again.

Sixth game:
-Soontir (PTL, AT, Targeting Computer, RGT)
-Vessery (HLC)
-Omicron (Vader)

Crazy game, and probably the most intense game I've played to date. BH served again as a jousting bait, managing again to survive the first pass (although very, very damaged) while between him and the Interceptors destroyed the damn Omnivader. Then, a LONG furball started, with me being unable to hit anything while he managed to chip here and there both Soontir and Jax, and finishing the poor BH with a long-range HLC. Once 2v2, Vessery shields were stripped by Soontir, but a full blank-roll granted him to die against his Soontir.

At this point, was Carnor at 1 hull vs Vessery at 3 hull and full health Soontir. Turn after turn, I managed to keep him out of arc of one or both ships while evading any incoming fire, but my shots were equally unsuccessful. For like 5 or 6 turns we danced around, until a 4K from Vessery made me impossible to get out of his arc... and I switched to "fuck this" mode. Boost to his face and focus. Roll... 2 hits and 1 eye. USED focus, with Soontir at R2 on my ass. Vessery rolled blanks and focus, RIP. Soontir placed a couple hits. Evaded.

And the dance started again. For 4-5 more turns we didn't manage to deal any damage or to even shoot each other... until somehow we started to joust. One pass, nothing. Another pass, nothing again. Third pass would be the last, as time had been called... Soontir fire was evaded. Carnor fires... 2 hits and a crit at Range 2. Defense roll, 2 blanks... and an evade. He had an evade token. The crit was a Direct Hit. WHY THE FUCK I DID A 2 FORWARD AND NOT A 3 TO CANCEL THAT TOKEN.
It was the right call actually, as a 3 forward would have given him the chance to arc dodge me and still attack.

A 3-point loss. Amazing game, really.

And Jax is the man. Is not easy for an Interceptor to die once in six games when you only win one of them.

Also, the 6 A-wing guy made the top10. My hero.

Hey Guys, I posted this over in the Boardgames thread as I'm leaning toward picking up Xwing and got directed here for some more feedback.

I feel like a better use of $70 is the Core Set and the 2 Aces sets to flesh out both sides with different ships. I looked around the net but everyone seems to push the 2 core set thing. Is it really that necessary? Keep in mind I'm likely never to play this in a tournament, just around the house for fun.

I want to get enough to have some fun, but I'm worried that I might be spending too much upfront for something that might not have the legs with my potential player pool. I won't be playing competitively but want enough that theres some variety without breaking the bank. 2 core sets is clearly the recommendation but just Xwing vs Tie Fighters seems a bit boring to start out.

Won

Hey Guys, I posted this over in the Boardgames thread as I'm leaning toward picking up Xwing and got directed here for some more feedback.

I want to get enough to have some fun, but I'm worried that I might be spending too much upfront for something that might not have the legs with my potential player pool. I won't be playing competitively but want enough that theres some variety without breaking the bank. 2 core sets is clearly the recommendation but just Xwing vs Tie Fighters seems a bit boring to start out.

The answer probably depends on what exactly your plans are. 2 things I would point out:

1. Core set is just great value. Especially if you don't want to spend much money in the beginning. Depending on what deal you can get you basically get a ship for free in each box and some extra goodies.

2. The extra goodies are probably the important bit here though. The idea behind the core set is that every player buys his own. So if you are the sole provider for the game in your group/friend circle/family, then a single core game at the very least has not enough dices for a hassle free experience. Extra maneuver templates/range ruler and especially damage deck are also convenient.

It's up to you if you can live with that. You can always buy a second set later on.

Tensketch

It depends on how many people you expect to play, if it's just 2 of you, then 1 set will be fine, if there's more then you''re better getting 2.

When I started playing, I had the advantage of already having 2 sets (my dad bought them because his local store was going to have a just for fun tournament, but was too sick to play when it came around, so they just sat on his shelf), I had a few days off last summer and wanted to play something with my friends. If it was just 2 of us, a single core set would've been great, but there were 4 of us, so the 2 sets really helped (can't have 2 players using a single X-wing).

In terms of buying ships after that, I honestly recommend you do it in wave order. The rules get increasingly complex as the waves go on, so you're better buying ships from Wave 1 first (believe it or not , the X-Wing n Tie Fighter sets are excellent for the extra stuff they give, especially if you're a fan of Wedge Antilles), then moving to wave 2 (if you can find them, the falcon is like gold dust). These waves will get you used to things like turrets, bombs and boost, after that you're free to just go nuts on the waves.

Like you, I was only playing for fun when I started, because it was a cool game that had Star Wars ships that look awesome. Now a few months (and hundreds of pounds) later, I've done a few tournaments and am really into it.

So I'm trying to narrow down a build to use for a regional tournament I might end up attending. I'm typically not one to use "meta" builds, so I've been trying to at least build something that isn't a direct copy of commonly used competitive builds, and as of now here are the options I've come up with:

Alpha Assassin

This build has been pretty effective so far, but I'm not sure how well it will fair against some meta builds (like "fat" builds) with high pilot skill. Basically it's built around Palob stealing tokens which opens the window up for Guri to use Opportunist. The Z-95's are blockers and damage sponges, and obviously extra red dice to throw at the enemy. Greedo on Palob is an effective way to increase the damage output of his Ion Cannon, and the Ion helps CC targets so that Guri can more easily make use of a range 1 Opportunist (free focus on Guri when in range 1 as well).

Scarlet Thief

A semi variant of the Guri build above, I actually got this idea from somewhere online, except they were using Dead Man's Switch on the Z-95s. I prefer Feedback Array though, since even after blocking another ship they can still activate their arrays for some guaranteed damage. I kind of think this one is a bit more competitive than the Guri list, but for some reason I think I like Guri's more since there's room for a third Z-95.

Corran's Panic Attack

Having both Y-Wings with the BTL-A4 title and no turret ships in this build might make things a bit tricky against arc dodgers, but the VI on Corran and 99 points might at least allow Corran to move last and shoot first to compensate. The first version I made had R3-A2 on Corran (so he could actually stress a target twice in one turn if he wanted), but I feel like R2-D2 is too good on him not to use. Instead, I threw R3-A2 on one of the Y-Wings for the same reason (I can use the title's double tap attack to stress the target twice (or just once), depending on the situation). I thought Seismic Charges might be a good trick up my sleeve in case of a bad flank situation, but another option I'm definitely considering is to remove those and promote the Y-Wings to Gray Squadron pilots for the PS4 to avoid Predator affecting them.

Leebo's Golds

Also incorporating two Y-Wings with BTL-A4, but this time both sporting R2 Astromechs and Leebo as their wing man anchor ship instead of Corran. I went with Jan Ors on Leebo to increase the tankiness of whoever might need the evade (since Y-Wings only have 1 agility). It also works with Leebo if he needs it, since the Outrider counts as being within range 1-3 of itself. I think this list might lack the firepower needed to punch through Whisper/Soontir/double IG88 lists without having Heavy Laser Cannon, but plugging the "donut hole" with Mangler Cannon while having the PTL/Engine Upgrade combo seemed favorable. I do have the option of dropping Engine Upgrade and switching Mangler for Heavy Laser Cannon, though.

Any feedback you guys might have would be really appreciated!

They all sound good, I would probably go with the second list but that is largely cos me and the Firespray are totally best buddies. That said, if you are confident with the first list then it looks very competitive and I can't see any major problems with it. I've never considered combo-ing Greedo with an ion turret, that is a really good idea. Also, Guri and Pablo (I call him Pablo okay) have the same pilot skills which should really help with flying them together.

Also, Guri and Pablo (I call him Pablo okay) have the same pilot skills which should really help with flying them together.

This is definitely something that has come into play in my recent matches and I've come to appreciate and value nuances like this when making my builds. I forgot to mention it in my post, but that was a huge reason that I feel more comfortable with that list. On top of that, Guri's small ship base makes flying near Palob much easier than the Firespray.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I like your first and third lists. The Greedo-Determination combo in the first list made me lol. I'm interested in how often Opportunist will trigger between the abilities of Guri and Palob. Might be a good combo, or it might be too tough to pull off. I personally like putting Push the Limit on Guri when I fly her.

Oh boy, just recovering from a hell of a game over here. I was testing out IG88 and my mate was testing the Starviper and little did I know that it was gonna turn into one of the most stressful cat-an-mouse circling each other games that I've had in a long time.

Nete

I'm more for the first and second lists. Actually, I've been toying a lot with a very similar build these last few weeks in an attempt to make a list with a Starviper and/or a Hawk.

I wouldn't take Opportunist on Guri (or Kath), tho. Yeah, it can be amazing paired with Palobs trickery, but for what I've seen you won't be able to use it for many turns, as Palob *will* be focused down. Predator on Guri (and maybe also Kath, but there are other options there with her) would be much more eficient, specially when both ladies should be the last ship standing in case of a tough fight.

Tensketch

So, anyone got any speculation on what the Twin Ion Engine upgrade is gonna be?
I've heard people say it'll turn all hard turns to whites, aiding the defender and bombers. Others say it'll make all hard turns green, some say it'll turn all banks green.

I personally think it is the first one, white turns will be awesome, especially if the card overrules the all turns are red crit.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So, anyone got any speculation on what the Twin Ion Engine upgrade is gonna be?
I've heard people say it'll turn all hard turns to whites, aiding the defender and bombers. Others say it'll make all hard turns green, some say it'll turn all banks green.

I personally think it is the first one, white turns will be awesome, especially if the card overrules the all turns are red crit.

It wouldn't do that, unless it's explicitly written on the card (and I doubt it would be). When you get a crit like that, it's considered a more recent game effect than the upgrade card you started the game with, so the crit takes precedence. Just like when you have Veteran Instincts on a ship that boosts its pilot skill by 2, but you get the crit that changes your pilot skill to 0. You don't then have a pilot skill of 2 (adding Vet Instincts to the crit), you have 0, because the upgrade card's effect is applied when the game begins and then the crit is applied later, and whatever happens more recently (i.e., the crit) takes precedence.

Nete

Something with the turns, but besides that no idea. The text has *a ton* of text according Edge preview tho, so anything is possible. 10 lines plus the "Only TIEs", at least for the spanish version.

https://instagram.com/p/2oJ0G7hkFx/

I'm inclined to the all turns green. Bombers, Defenders and Advanceds would benefit the most, and it could still be useful for the Fighter and Interceptor... if you want to invest those points on the former, or use it instead other fancy toys on the latter. Phantoms would just keep using ACD or Stygium.

Tensketch

It wouldn't do that, unless it's explicitly written on the card (and I doubt it would be). When you get a crit like that, it's considered a more recent game effect than the upgrade card you started the game with, so the crit takes precedence. Just like when you have Veteran Instincts on a ship that boosts its pilot skill by 2, but you get the crit that changes your pilot skill to 0. You don't then have a pilot skill of 2 (adding Vet Instincts to the crit), you have 0, because the upgrade card's effect is applied when the game begins and then the crit is applied later, and whatever happens more recently (i.e., the crit) takes precedence.

Yeah, I posted this and went to sleep, then woke up this morning and remembered how wrong I was after my R2 unit got overruled by the same crit. So yeah, my bad.

Something with the turns, but besides that no idea. The text has *a ton* of text according Edge preview tho, so anything is possible. 10 lines plus the "Only TIEs", at least for the spanish version.

https://instagram.com/p/2oJ0G7hkFx/

I'm inclined to the all turns green. Bombers, Defenders and Advanceds would benefit the most, and it could still be useful for the Fighter and Interceptor... if you want to invest those points on the former, or use it instead other fancy toys on the latter. Phantoms would just keep using ACD or Stygium.

This is true, I could see lower PS squints n phantoms using them seeing as its apparently only 1pt. Would help shed stress (green hard 1 would be killer on both) and allow them to fit nicely into lists similar to using determination as that 1pt insurance.

FeD.nL

Tried out Soontir with PTL for the first time yesterday against my dad. My dad was flying Dash/Corran. That was the best game I played so far. I was flying RAC next to Soontir and almost messed up in the beginning nearly costing me Soontir. Managed to pull out a win in the end after a lot of circling. Really need to find that Imperial Aces set somewhere soon.

Just got the basic set last weekend and had some great battles with a friend and his son playing the X-Wings against Luke.

Fantastic game and I bought it on the strength of this thread!

Any suggestion for must have expansions?

Tensketch

Just got the basic set last weekend and had some great battles with a friend and his son playing the X-Wings against Luke.

Fantastic game and I bought it on the strength of this thread!

Any suggestion for must have expansions?

Welcome!

Personally, I recommend you buy in wave order as the rules get more complex as each wave is released.
Start with waves 1-2, being the xwing expansion (essential for wedge), tie fighter(some amazing named pilots and upgrades), tie advanced (Vader, nuff said) and Y wing (great intro to turrets and ion) for wave 1, and the falcon (great ship, good intro to large bases, 360 arcs, crew and boost) and slave 1 (boba fett and intro to bombs) for wave 2.

Buying equal ships for each faction in those waves is a good start. After that, I'd say buy rebel and imperial aces, as they give you some great ships and pilots for each faction. Then, just whatever takes your fancy, as at this point you'll have played enough to be ready for the harder to fly ships. I say this because although the likes of the phantom, defender and ewing are cool ships, they're not the easiest to figure out.

Pastry

Banned
Bought two core sets and going to play my first game with my girlfriend tonight. I'm super excited to play, she's just appeasing me by playing but at least she's willing lol.

Top Bottom