• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Just got the TFA core set from a friend for Christmas. I'd been eyeing these miniatures whenever I've been in Barnes & Noble, but hadn't really kept up with the game news. Just saw that there are Star Wars Rebels expansions, and I'm super excited for those, I love the Ghost's design.

Have you guys heard about FFG changing it's pricing/distribution policies with online retailers? I am a little confused, but I'm worried they are specifically targeting the discount prices offered by websites such as Miniature Market and CoolStuffInc...

This is the first press release that caused the initial panic: http://www.spikeybits.com/2015/12/star-wars-online-sales-lockdown-ffgs-new-policy.html

Here is the vague followup that tries to PR spin the entire announcement: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49101/asmodee-clarifies-its-changes-2016-online-sales-wi

They seem to be intentionally vague, as this entirely depends on the definition of "specialty retailers" and "authorized retailers."

Many specialty retailers have in-store loyalty or volume discounts, and many online dealers discount their product. In the new policies taking effect on April 1st, 2016, will you institute or impose official price floors or "minimum advertised price" policies on your authorized retailers?
No.

Edit: Also random question: Is Wave 8 going to be released before Imp Veteran pack?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Have you guys heard about FFG changing it's pricing/distribution policies with online retailers? I am a little confused, but I'm worried they are specifically targeting the discount prices offered by websites such as Miniature Market and CoolStuffInc...

This is the first press release that caused the initial panic: http://www.spikeybits.com/2015/12/star-wars-online-sales-lockdown-ffgs-new-policy.html

Here is the vague followup that tries to PR spin the entire announcement: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49101/asmodee-clarifies-its-changes-2016-online-sales-wi

They seem to be intentionally vague, as this entirely depends on the definition of "specialty retailers" and "authorized retailers."

Edit: Also random question: Is Wave 8 going to be released before Imp Veteran pack?

Yes, well before Imperial Veterans. Probably early February for Wave 8 and mid-May for IV.

As for that announcement, it's my understanding that it mostly targets some shenanigans involving the game Days of Wonder and not the entire FFG/Asmodee product line. I don't think they're gonna screw over CSI, Miniature Market and Amazon.

Yes, well before Imperial Veterans. Probably early February for Wave 8 and mid-May for IV.

As for that announcement, it's my understanding that it mostly targets some shenanigans involving the game Days of Wonder and not the entire FFG/Asmodee product line. I don't think they're gonna screw over CSI, Miniature Market and Amazon.

Well in panic mode I just did my X-Wing wave 8 preorder and bought all of Wave 2 Armada off Miniature Market. FFG stealth marketing strategy has succeeded in taking my monies.

Tensketch

Had a few hours spare before I headed out to see family, so decided to paint up some of my T70's

tQJN66v.jpg

Black-1 was my first attempt at dry brushing. Happy with the result.

Have a great Christmas, guys n girls.

H1PSTER

I'm wanting to start playing but I'm unsure as to what core set to buy.

I love the idea of using a TIE swarm but AFAIK I need the newer core packs damage deck.

What should I do? Will the new TIE fighters be good enough to swarm with or should I get the older core pack?

Tensketch

I love the idea of using a TIE swarm but AFAIK I need the newer core packs damage deck.

What should I do? Will the new TIE fighters be good enough to swarm with or should I get the older core pack?

WhyNotBoth.jpg

But seriously, both are good in their own way and I strongly recommend that you eventually own at least one of each. If you want to TIE swarm though I recommend the OG core set. The FO's are good, but not as good as an old TIE swarm.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

The older TIE Fighters have a lower squadron cost, so you want to swarm with those, not the TIE/FOs.

The newer damage deck is better than the older one (and will be required for official tournaments) but the older one is still usable.

If you really want to go all-in on a TIE swarm, you should get the original red-logo Core Set, an Imperial Assault Carrier (which comes with two alt-paint job TIE Fighters and new pilots) and two individual TIE Fighter expansion packs (with yet more TIE Fighter pilots). Then you'll have six TIEs, enough to swarm (although classically, TIE swarms run seven TIE Fighters ... if you buy two Core Sets, an Assault Carrier and one TIE Fighter you'll have your seven).

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The older TIE Fighters have a lower squadron cost, so you want to swarm with those, not the TIE/FOs.

The newer damage deck is better than the older one (and will be required for official tournaments) but the older one is still usable.

If you really want to go all-in on a TIE swarm, you should get the original red-logo Core Set, an Imperial Assault Carrier (which comes with two alt-paint job TIE Fighters and new pilots) and two individual TIE Fighter expansion packs (with yet more TIE Fighter pilots). Then you'll have six TIEs, enough to swarm (although classically, TIE swarms run seven TIE Fighters ... if you buy two Core Sets, an Assault Carrier and one TIE Fighter you'll have your seven).

there will probably be some benefit to FO TIEs, aces, and/or upgrades (juke / comm relay) in TIE Swarm lists though

Tensketch

My dad had a very X-Wing Xmas today, he got:
Old core set
X-Wing
Y-Wing
Interceptor
Phantom
K-Wing
Outrider
Decimator
Hounds tooth
IG-2000
Rebel Aces
Imperial Aces
Most wanted

He's incredibly pleased. I'm glad he's got them now cos he's been hassling me for weeks to order him some new ships and i've had to. Make excuses.

While I'm here, we now have images of the official alt art 3PO card:
imaIcWa.jpg

H1PSTER

Edit:

I did some research and figured that two FO core packs would be great since I really like the TIE/FO.

Now I need to flesh it out some more!

This is going to be an expensive hobby isn't it?

Arksy

Hey guys, I've been looking to get into this game for a while and the opportunity presented itself yesterday. I got myself two core sets (one old and one new) and a z-95 headhunter.

Are there any good resources out there for learning the game? Also I'm wondering if I can build any lists out of what I have and what might be a good idea to get.

Much appreciated!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Edit:

I did some research and figured that two FO core packs would be great since I really like the TIE/FO.

Now I need to flesh it out some more!

This is going to be an expensive hobby isn't it?

Not nearly as expensive as pretty much any other miniature war game. Or any trading card game, really.

Hey guys, I've been looking to get into this game for a while and the opportunity presented itself yesterday. I got myself two core sets (one old and one new) and a z-95 headhunter.

Are there any good resources out there for learning the game? Also I'm wondering if I can build any lists out of what I have and what might be a good idea to get.

Much appreciated!

Here, watch these video tutorials, they're great: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfyteSBiELJQtovkGkFxyg

Tobor

I got the Force Awakens core set for Christmas and my Brother in Law and I stayed up till midnight playing last night. Wow! This game is amazing!

I'm already shopping for more units. Why is the star mat so expensive?

Starviper

I was given the Imperial Assault board game for Christmas which is cool, but I went out and bought 2 of the core sets along with a TIE Phantom, Advanced, and a Y-Wing + E-Wing because this seemed better for 2 players.

Really enjoyed the game! Did a tutorial game with a friend and then played an actual game with all ships. I saw people recommended just grabbing 2 and that turned out to be a good idea. Thinking i'll pick up the Aces expansions on Amazon and then i'll have a well rounded fleet, and it should have good variety for whoever wants to play either side :)

Also annoyed at the game mat price lol.

H1PSTER

I've just purchased (Along with the two FA core packs) the Imperial Ace pack.

I can afford one more small ship, what would you guys recommend?

Vader? A Lamda?

Or should I get something to go with my two T-70s?

Tensketch

Vader? A Lamda?

Old school tie fighter single pack comes with HowlRunner, she has the ability to let friendly ships within range 1 reroll attack die and is awesome with swarms.

Toxi

Banned

Vader? A Lamda?

The TIE Fighter expansion comes with the Howlrunner pilot, who is great for a TIE swarm, whether TIE/FO or TIE Fighter.

The Lambda is technically not a small ship; it's a large ship and costs 30 dollars. But it comes with some neat stuff like Darth Vader crew.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wow, a lot of new X-Wingers after Christmas! Welcome to the game, guys.

Vader? A Lamda?

May as well balance out all those bad guy ships with a good guy ship.

Buy a B-Wing or a Y-Wing (or get a K-Wing if you can go up to $20 instead of the $15 for the smallest ships)

Starviper

Wow, a lot of new X-Wingers after Christmas! Welcome to the game, guys.

May as well balance out all those bad guy ships with a good guy ship.

Buy a B-Wing or a Y-Wing (or get a K-Wing if you can go up to $20 instead of the $15 for the smallest ships)

Seems like Amazon has all the ships marked down; I ordered the Aces sets off there for really cheap.

K-Wing is 14$ as well!

CzarTim

Seems like Amazon has all the ships marked down; I ordered the Aces sets off there for really cheap.

K-Wing is 14$ as well!

Yeah, I had ordered the core set and was going to wait until I tried the game out before getting anything else, but with that sale going on I decided to take the plunge and get the Aces. Went ahead and got the Millennium Falcon as well.

Bog

Junior Ace
Got the TFA Core set for Christmas and immediately ordered the Falcon, Rebel Aces and Imperial Shuttle. Everyone says to grab a second core set. If I get another, is it worth getting the red box original just for the cards?

Tobor

I bought the star mat($40!, ugh), the Falcon, a Y-Wing, and the Tie-advanced.

My Brother in law is getting another core set so we'll have 4 tie fighters and two X-Wings.

We'll play with all that a few times and see where we go from there.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Got the TFA Core set for Christmas and immediately ordered the Falcon, Rebel Aces and Imperial Shuttle. Everyone says to grab a second core set. If I get another, is it worth getting the red box original just for the cards?

Sure. You may as well get one of each Core Set so you have everything. Luke, Biggs, Night Beast and R2-D2 astromech are worth playing, too.

Bog

Junior Ace
When you take critical damage, does that immediately count as hull damage or only after it's flipped face down?

Toxi

Banned
I have always wondered how B-wings, which look so cool can suck so bad.
Huh? B-Wings are great. Amazing stats for their cost and lots of great customization options. Advanced Sensors? Sure. E1 mod with C-3PO crew? Why not. Ten Nunb with Mangler Cannon? Sounds fun.

Tensketch

I have always wondered how B-wings, which look so cool can suck so bad.

They are amazing! Ya can fly four with one of the following:
Advanced Sensors
Accuracy Corrector (more fun than I thought)
Fire control system
Crew mod with tactician
Ion Cannon

They are also amazing bodyguard ships. If you have a fat ship and want something other than a Z swarm as backup, 2 of these prove hard to kill and punchy as hell.

To be fair, I love A-Wings, pair of greens with the title, ptl and wired are really fun to fly. I once lost a tourney game because my opponent had an untouchable gemmer sojan that flew rings around my B Wings and picked them off until it was 1V1 still one of my favourite games of X-wing.

H1PSTER

I may have gone a little overboard with my purchases to say I haven't properly played yet.

I now own:

2 FA Core sets
1 Imperial ace set
1 TIE/fo expansion
1 TIE Interceptor expansion
1 TIE Punisher expansion
1 TIE Fighter expansion

... I have a problem don't I?

Edit: But this list looks incredibly fun.

TIE/fo Fighter: · "Epsilon Leader" (19)
TIE Fighter: · "Howlrunner" w/ Push The Limit (21)
TIE/fo Fighter: Epsilon Squadron Pilot (15)

Nete

I may have gone a little overboard with my purchases to say I haven't properly played yet.

I now own:

2 FA Core sets
1 Imperial ace set
1 TIE/fo expansion
1 TIE Interceptor expansion
1 TIE Punisher expansion
1 TIE Fighter expansion

... I have a problem don't I?

Change the Core sets with the original version, the TIE/fo with a Firespray and the Punisher with a TIE Phantom, and is what I bought before playing my first game.

You won't have any problem unless something like "Meh, let's buy an YT-1300 to use those T-70 X-wings" pass around your mind. THERE you will be doomed.

TFA re-inspired my interest in this game, I decided to ask for the new starter and a couple of the expansion packs that I never acquired (for Christmas), and I picked up an extra new Tie and X-Wing models from TFA.

I stopped collecting around the time of the Tie Bomber-- what's essential between now and then?

I don't plan to play super competitively, but I'd at least like to know what's considered essential.

Tensketch

TFA re-inspired my interest in this game, I decided to ask for the new starter and a couple of the expansion packs that I never acquired (for Christmas), and I picked up an extra new Tie and X-Wing models from TFA.

I stopped collecting around the time of the Tie Bomber-- what's essential between now and then?

I don't plan to play super competitively, but I'd at least like to know what's considered essential.

Have a crack at the scum faction, they add a nice interesting twist to how you play. The most wanted pack will get you started, give the IG-2000 a go too.

VARIA

Recent convert.

I own two core sets. One original & a TFA one.

- E-Wing Expansion
- Headhunter Expansion
- Tie Defender Expansion
- Tie Advanced Expansion
- Z-95Headhunter Expansion

And I just ordered:

- Lambda Shuttle Expansion
- Millenium Falcon Expansion
- A-Wing Expansion

Brother in-law introduced me to this game and now I'm hooked.

My only gripe is that it seems to take a long time ( 2+ hours) for a 100 point game to finish, possibly because I had to keep asking questions.

Tensketch

Recent convert.

I own two core sets. One original & a TFA one.

- E-Wing Expansion
- Headhunter Expansion
- Tie Defender Expansion
- Tie Advanced Expansion
- Z-95Headhunter Expansion

And I just ordered:

- Lambda Shuttle Expansion
- Millenium Falcon Expansion
- A-Wing Expansion

Brother in-law introduced me to this game and now I'm hooked.

My only gripe is that it seems to take a long time ( 2+ hours) for a 100 point game to finish, possibly because I had to keep asking questions.

Welcome to the game! If game length is an issue, you can add a timed element to it and run it for an hour and then count up the points to declare a winner. A time limit adds to your strategy as you can aim to destroy your opponents most expensive ship and then go on the defensive and run the clock down.

Top Bottom