• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

I'm so very glad I didn't invest much money in this game, shit is getting stupid now. 90% of these ships are useless. Dice are slowly becoming irrelevant.

Sorry had to rant, shit is getting so dumb.

Not sure how you can say that, it seems like this latest wave made a ton of ships viable. As far as competitive games go, there's currently a really healthy meta right now with a seemingly wide variety of suitable options.

I'd say the worst the game has been was when Whisper was OP and it seemed like it was either Whisper or Fat Han builds. A combination of the fixed large ship point rules, TLT, Boba Fett crew/the multitude of Scum options in this latest wave, and Extra Munitions/Guidance Chips have really made the game quite deliciously varied at this point. Imperial Veterans (and whatever they have planned for the inevitable Rebel Veterans/Scum Aces) will round it out even better.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I picked up the first issue of the Poe Dameron comic book yesterday, and inside was this ad ... thought it would be kinda fun to share:

BgwRZZs.jpg

How are the Ghost and Phantom?

The Ghost is super good. A friend let me borrow his to play against a squad with a Mist Hunter, a JumpMaster and N'Dru's Z-95. I used Kanan, a generic TLT Y-Wing and had an attached Phantom. The Y-Wing died quickly but I never had to launch my Phantom ... the Ghost took out all three of my opponent's ships on its own. The Y-Wing had only done one damage and drew aggro for two turns.

Now I just have to figure out how to beat one when I'm on the other side of the table. Someone at X-Wing night suggested a swarm, but who plays swarm anymore?

I picked up the first issue of the Poe Dameron comic book yesterday, and inside was this ad ... thought it would be kinda fun to share:

The Ghost is super good. A friend let me borrow his to play against a squad with a Mist Hunter, a JumpMaster and N'Dru's Z-95. I used Kanan, a generic TLT Y-Wing and had an attached Phantom. The Y-Wing died quickly but I never had to launch my Phantom ... the Ghost took out all three of my opponent's ships on its own. The Y-Wing had only done one damage and drew aggro for two turns.

Now I just have to figure out how to beat one when I'm on the other side of the table. Someone at X-Wing night suggested a swarm, but who plays swarm anymore?

Crack swarms are hugely popular in my local meta, which is quite annoying lol. Although I haven't been to one of my FLGS X-Wing nights/tournaments since the first week this wave came out.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Crack swarms are hugely popular in my local meta, which is quite annoying lol. Although I haven't been to one of my FLGS X-Wing nights/tournaments since the first week this wave came out.

Ah. No one really plays swarms around Northeast Ohio. I should bring one next week just for the hell of it, haha

Their were a fair few swarms in the last tournament I went to. Although most seemed to spice things up with crack shots or throwing in some Tie FOs. The days of the pure 'maximize numbers of ships on the board' swarm may be gone.

Ah. No one really plays swarms around Northeast Ohio. I should bring one next week just for the hell of it, haha

Crack swarms are incredibly difficult to deal with. Their alpha is so hard to not take critical damage from so you really need to get the most out of your ships to deal with them. Honestly if you're good at maneuvering swarms, I say you should totally bring one and mix your local meta up. They probably won't know what hit them if they aren't expecting it.

I've wanted to try this one:
"Howlrunner" (18)
Crack Shot (1)

"Youngster" (15)
Marksmanship (3)

"Scourge" (17)
Crack Shot (1)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)
Crack Shot (1)

Crack Shot (1)

Crack Shot (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Six ships, moving before Contracted Scouts, 5 crack shots and all able to use Marksmanship in conjunction with Crack Shot to land some crits.

Mrcapcom

I was thinking of forcing myself to use a swarm for awhile to get used to formation flying. This looks fun,what would you recommend for a Deci/Mini Swarm?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I've wanted to try this one:

Six ships, moving before Contracted Scouts, 5 crack shots and all able to use Marksmanship in conjunction with Crack Shot to land some crits.

seems like if you take down one Scout before it can fire you'd be in pretty good shape...

but you might have a tough time with Palp Aces

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
SlaveofChrist over on the X-Wing boards made this up:

F5IBtkD.jpg

That is a crazy, crazy movement dial.

it's even crazier since the straights can be turned into K-Turns after you've revealed the dial.

So anything low PS skill will have had to move and you can see what works best.

Engine Upgrade and PTL... yum

it's even crazier since the straights can be turned into K-Turns after you've revealed the dial.

So anything low PS skill will have had to move and you can see what works best.

Engine Upgrade and PTL... yum

Yup. Thankfully for opponents, her PS is 7 at best (VI).

Although as someone else on the X-Wing forums pointed out, with EU she can basically do a green 0 K-turn: Do a 2 K-turn, boost one forward. The front of your base is now where the front used to be, your ship 180 degrees off that point.

A friend of mine that doesn't have a GAF acct asked this question in our local FB group:

Using these packs:

Most Wanted
Slave I
2x Khiraxz fighter

What is a good build to go with. He has one of the starter sets but I'm not sure which version.

Any Scum players here? What do you think? I'll pass your answers to him.

Not going to lie, other than the recent Jumpmaster 5000 pack, Scum are sort of bottom of the barrel at the moment. I say this as a primary scum player. That said, there are still solid lists for both 'just for fun' and tournament games.

Does he have access to cards from other sets, or is it literally JUST those boxes?

Using JUST the boxes listed:
Boba Fett (Scum) (39)
Veteran Instincts (1)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Glitterstim (2)

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Crack Shot (1)
Glitterstim (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Is a fairly bare-bones list that can pack a punch. It probably will not be winning any tournaments though.

One of the main issues is lack of upgrade cards. The Y-Wing, for instance. The only turret upgrade card he has is the Autoblaster Turret, which isn't all that great. I mean, Kavil w/ Autoblaster and Predator could be funny IF he gets into Range 1 of someone. That's a pretty big if in a Y-Wing though.

Yup. Thankfully for opponents, her PS is 7 at best (VI).

Although as someone else on the X-Wing forums pointed out, with EU she can basically do a green 0 K-turn: Do a 2 K-turn, boost one forward. The front of your base is now where the front used to be, your ship 180 degrees off that point.

Yeah and it's most likely going to stay at 5 since she's primed and good to go for PTL.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/5/4/these-are-your-first-steps/

swx57_spread.png

Short version:

swx57-poe-dameron.png

9-pilot skill version of Poe for 2 more points
swx57-rey-pilot.png

Rey is in the game at 8-skill, rerolls two blanks attacking/defending if in the Falcon's firing arc
swx57-millennium-falcon.png

New falcon title gets the ability to 3-speed S-loop

Black one X-wing title lets you remove other ships nearby target locks if you boost/barrel roll

More cards to come too (Rey, Finn crew, 3 new X-Wing pilots, a new generic Falcon etc)

Ooo the Smuggling Compartment kinda looks like it may let the Falcon take Illicit upgrades

5taquitos

Also Han / Chewie have new abilities too apparently (unlike Poe)

Lorewise that would make sense, since they're older. Poe just seems more like a reissue to fix a mistake :p

Edit: As someone that doesn't have a Falcon yet, just judging from what we know about this should I bother getting the old one? Or just wait for this to come out?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
"Yet where his unique pilot talent remains unchanged, Poe's pilot skill value has been increased from "8" to "9," a change accompanied by a corresponding increase in his cost from thirty-one squad points to thirty-three. This change from "8" to "9" is particularly meaningful because it vaults Poe into the very top echelon of X-Wing pilots. No pilot in the game has a base pilot skill value greater than "9." This is the elite value shared by the likes of Darth Vader and Wedge Antilles , and now Poe joins those ranks."

So in other words ... FFG saw the movie with the rest of us and is taking a mulligan on the Poe card they originally released so it fits with the canon now. (Same for including pilots like Jess Pava and Snaps, and putting BB-8 on the X-Wing sculpt.) Thanks for keeping them in the dark leading up to the film, Disney.

"Yet where his unique pilot talent remains unchanged, Poe's pilot skill value has been increased from "8" to "9," a change accompanied by a corresponding increase in his cost from thirty-one squad points to thirty-three. This change from "8" to "9" is particularly meaningful because it vaults Poe into the very top echelon of X-Wing pilots. No pilot in the game has a base pilot skill value greater than "9." This is the elite value shared by the likes of Darth Vader and Wedge Antilles , and now Poe joins those ranks."

So in other words ... FFG saw the movie with the rest of us and is taking a mulligan on the Poe card they originally released so it fits with the canon now. (Same for including pilots like Jess Pava and Snaps, and putting BB-8 on the X-Wing sculpt.) Thanks for keeping them in the dark leading up to the film, Disney.

More like FFG caved to the constant whining about having to pick between VI and PTL, so they decided to shut people up.

definitely feels like FFG wants to get the Falcon back on the table, and keep Poe out there too

It's definitely double dipping on FFG's end. But it also makes sense. The Falcon is the iconic Star Wars ship, and the X-Wing isn't all that far behind it.

What's more surprising is how slow they are at getting this out. It should have hit store shelves within a few months after the movie released, but it'll probably be closer to a full year.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It's definitely double dipping on FFG's end. But it also makes sense. The Falcon is the iconic Star Wars ship, and the X-Wing isn't all that far behind it.

What's more surprising is how slow they are at getting this out. It should have hit store shelves within a few months after the movie released, but it'll probably be closer to a full year.

It's chock full of characters and details that weren't revealed until the movie released. Disney gave FFG almost no advance information so, like I said above, they basically found out about all this stuff at the same time we did, when we watched the movie. This is actually a pretty fast turnaround, likely made easier by the figures needing just new paintjobs and very minor sculpting changes from the ones they already have on file.

It's chock full of characters and details that weren't revealed until the movie released. Disney gave FFG almost no advance information so, like I said above, they basically found out about all this stuff at the same time we did, when we watched the movie. This is actually a pretty fast turnaround, likely made easier by the figures needing just new paintjobs and very minor sculpting changes from the ones they already have on file.

I guess I don't know the specifics of FFG's production, so maybe my impression isn't correct.

However, the Star Wars merchandise day was in September 2015, and saw the release of the Lego versions of the Falcon and Poe's Black Leader X-Wing, so clearly Lego had huge advance notice of what those ships looked like. And it's not like the actual characters were hidden, we knew who they were and at least some degree of information about them well in advance of the movie's release. It seems to me like the Falcon and Black Leader X-Wing models could have easily been produced in advance of the movie's release, then assuming FFG doesn't see the movie until the public release, they could have immediately begin working on the accompanying cards.

I guess part of the inherent problem is that FFG always seems to be late on getting product out, so I'm pessimistic about their third quarter estimation. It seems like a lost opportunity to get this set out closer to the theatrical or DVD/Blu-ray releases, but again, maybe the logistics just don't work well for them.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I guess part of the inherent problem is that FFG always seems to be late on getting product out, so I'm pessimistic about their third quarter estimation. It seems like a lost opportunity to get this set out closer to the theatrical or DVD/Blu-ray releases, but again, maybe the logistics just don't work well for them.

Oh yeah. The rule is you take the latest estimate FFG gives you and add two months to it. In this case, FFG estimates Heroes of the Resistance will be out in third quarter 2016, which is July through September. So add two months to September and you've got a November release month.

It'll probably be sold early in small quantities at GenCon in August, though.

daevv

Until I see all the crew cards and such I do not think I'll be getting the new Heroes of the Resistance set. It's a great set for newcomers though. Buy the new Starter and that and you have a great learning to play and thematic Rebel squad.

I was hoping for the new Falcon but I would of liked to see some Scum pilots included. Having just rewatched the new film I noticed the listing off all the previous owners of the Falcon after Han lost it. Duquesne, The Erwin Boys, and Unkar Plutt. Add a generic pilot to those and you have four new ones. I know S&V have some great large ships already, just thought this would be more keeping with the theme of the Falcon. It looks to be adding a illicit slot so maybe that's a start and we will see Scum pilots in the future.

Mrcapcom

Well originally I brought the force awakens set and gave it to my son only taking the imperial stuff and when I brought Falcon I gave that to him too and took a couple upgrades. Now with this I can get a falcon for myself and the black/orange Poe which would be really sweet. Now I can maybe use some of the scum cards I have from Star Viper & Mist Hunter on it.

Two Imperial Veterans and 1 Heroes of the Resistance... when does it stop!?!?!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So is that new Poe card an errata or an optional, more expensive/powerful variant of running Poe?

It's a variant, not an errata.

It reminds me of, in the Pokémon Trading Card Game, printing a Pikachu card in a new set. There are cards named Pikachu in older sets, but this new one doesn't replace them, it's just another option that happens to be named Pikachu. It's identified by the name of the set it was printed in to distinguish it from earlier Pikachus.

I find it annoying in this game, though, since we now have to identify whether we're talking about the PS8 or PS9 Poe whenever we mention Poe.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
It's a variant, not an errata.

It reminds me of, in the Pokémon Trading Card Game, printing a Pikachu card in a new set. There are cards named Pikachu in older sets, but this new one doesn't replace them, it's just another option that happens to be named Pikachu. It's identified by the name of the set it was printed in to distinguish it from earlier Pikachus.

I find it annoying in this game, though, since we now have to identify whether we're talking about the PS8 or PS9 Poe whenever we mention Poe.

just wait until you get the new Han Solo and new Chewie with new abilities and potentially new costs

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
just wait until you get the new Han Solo and new Chewie with new abilities and potentially new costs

Argh

Maybe by release year?

Chewbacca (2013)
Chewbacca (2016)
Han Solo (2013)
Han Solo (2016)
Poe Dameron (2015)
Poe Dameron (2016)

And of course you have to specify whether you mean pilot or crew for Han and Cheese, unless context is enough.

They need to let up on the large ship releases. My triple case storage solution is getting cramped only due to how many large ships they keep releasing, as if the gigantic YV-666 and Ghost releasing back to back wasn't bad enough now I'm going to have an additional YT-1300 to deal with. Honestly I probably will only store one at a time since I can't see myself ever running more than one in a list.

So I just got into this game. Bought the starter set, a B Wing, K Wing and Headhunter for Rebels, and a Tie Defender, Tie Advance and Tie Interceptor for Imperials.

Is there anything you guys would recommend adding, or do I have enough to start playing at a reasonable level of competitiveness?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So I just got into this game. Bought the starter set, a B Wing, K Wing and Headhunter for Rebels, and a Tie Defender, Tie Advance and Tie Interceptor for Imperials.

Is there anything you guys would recommend adding, or do I have enough to start playing at a reasonable level of competitiveness?

Welcome to the game! Just out of curiosity, which Core Set did you get, the one with a T-65 X-Wing and TIE Fighters or the one with a T-70 X-Wing and TIE/FO Fighters? Either way, you definitely have enough to be competitive.

Basically every expansion in the game is useful, so it's always hard to give recommendations on what to buy unless there's a specific objective in mind. You can buy whatever looks interesting or fun to you and it'll be a good pickup.

There are packs with new upgrades and pilots for a number of the ships you've bought, which you may want to look into — Rebel Aces for the B-Wing, Imperial Aces for the TIE Interceptor, Imperial Raider for the TIE Advanced and the individual expansions for the TIE Fighter, TIE/FO Fighter, X-Wing and T-70 X-Wing (depending on which Core Set you bought). The Rebel Transport also comes with new X-Wing pilots.

One thing I notice: You have a nice variety of Rebel and Imperial ships, but no Scum stuff. So that may be something you'll want to think about. The Most Wanted expansion is kind of a starter set for Scum, although it helps you convert several existing models for Rebels and the Empire that you don't own yet: the Firespray, the Y-Wing and the HWK-290. So maybe once you get those ships, it'll become more worth it to you to pick up Most Wanted and start getting into Scum.

Other good Scum ships to consider — none of which require that you own any Rebel or Imperial models — would be the JumpMaster 5000, the Mist Hunter and the IG-2000. You'll want two IG-2000s if you go that route, though, since they're designed to work in a pair and share abilities between each other.

Welcome to the game! Just out of curiosity, which Core Set did you get, the one with a T-65 X-Wing and TIE Fighters or the one with a T-70 X-Wing and TIE/FO Fighters? Either way, you definitely have enough to be competitive.

Basically every expansion in the game is useful, so it's always hard to give recommendations on what to buy unless there's a specific objective in mind. You can buy whatever looks interesting or fun to you and it'll be a good pickup.

There are packs with new upgrades and pilots for a number of the ships you've bought, which you may want to look into — Rebel Aces for the B-Wing, Imperial Aces for the TIE Interceptor, Imperial Raider for the TIE Advanced and the individual expansions for the TIE Fighter, TIE/FO Fighter, X-Wing and T-70 X-Wing (depending on which Core Set you bought). The Rebel Transport also comes with new X-Wing pilots.

One thing I notice: You have a nice variety of Rebel and Imperial ships, but no Scum stuff. So that may be something you'll want to think about. The Most Wanted expansion is kind of a starter set for Scum, although it helps you convert several existing models for Rebels and the Empire that you don't own yet: the Firespray, the Y-Wing and the HWK-290. So maybe once you get those ships, it'll become more worth it to you to pick up Most Wanted and start getting into Scum.

Other good Scum ships to consider — none of which require that you own any Rebel or Imperial models — would be the JumpMaster 5000, the Mist Hunter and the IG-2000. You'll want two IG-2000s if you go that route, though, since they're designed to work in a pair and share abilities between each other.

Hey, glad to be here! Well, simultaneously glad and fucking terrified; this is my first serious attempt to get into tabletop gaming.

I bought the Force Awakens set with the T-70 X-Wing and TIE/FO Fighters.

And yeah, I made a pretty conscious decision to avoid the Scum faction for now. I'm still learning the game, so figured it'd be best to keep the investment on the lower end until I know that I like the game enough to fully invest in it. Doesn't help that I live in Australia where everything is balls expensive (25 fucking dollars per ship!)

Anyway, I haven't had the chance to have a real game yet (the store near my office has X Wing games every Tuesday, so I'll be popping over to that tomorrow), but I had a practice match against myself, and I don't think I quite understand how to build Empire teams and / or play them.

I tried a 100 point set up, and had X Wing with Poe, B Wing with Ibtisim and Headhunter with Lt. Blount. Empire was Tie Advance with Vader, Tie Phantom with Whisper and two Tiefighters with the cheapest pilot

My general strategy with Empire was to flank with the Phantom while keeping the Advance and two fighters as a tight unit. With Rebels, I did something similar with Poe sneaking off on his own while the B Wing and Headhunter acted as a unit.

The Empire was basically routed. The extra Tie Fighter didn't add a whole lot of value, and the extra ships just meant they kept running into each other. And as powerful as the Phantom was, it didn't really make up for the weaknesses of the two fighters.

By contrast, the Rebel team just had way more powerful ships, while only being one short in terms of numbers. They basically just tanked everything and focus fired Vader. After Vader and a Tie Fighter was lost, it was basically over for the Imperials. I know I was pretty light on details, and I must have made a billion rookie mistakes, but would you be able to advise how to use the Empire more effectively? Or even just general comments if the teams I made were any good?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
TIE Phantoms are difficult to maneuver well and keep alive. It's not really a beginner ship.

Typically, in this game, one ship in a group draws aggro at a time. So when you build your squadron, you have to keep that in mind. You could present two big threats to your opponent, causing them to choose one, or (even worse for them) split shots between the two. You also could intend for one ship to draw aggro and try to keep it alive as a distraction while the rest of the squadron does its thing.

So yes, Vader with a couple basic TIE Fighters is gonna draw aggro. If you run Vader with, say, Omega Leader (TIE/FO pilot) then the opponent has to make a tough choice, and whichever ship survives the opening volley will still be able to do nasty things.

Lastly, it was just one game, and dice can swing things pretty hard. Play some more games and I'm sure things will go better for the Empire in your hands. =P

Welcome SolicitorPirate!

Also, an update that was a long time coming, here's my X-Wing storage solution: http://imgur.com/a/MZqht

yooooo that's some professional shit right there, damn

Thanks a lot for the tips! I'll probably go back to the drawing board after work today and see if I can make a more solid Imperial team.

Just another question though; do models, pilots or cards ever get phased out or otherwise become permanently unavailable? I've only seen one store stocking the Imperial Aces and Tie Advance Prototype, but I'm really not keen on putting down another $75 so soon after getting into the game. At the same time, I'm worried that if I miss my chance now, I won't ever be able to get them again.

Top Bottom