• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Man I'm having a lot of fun making Scum lists using the new ships/spoiled upgrade cards. Can't wait to try some of these out!

Edit: Anyone down for Vassal tonight?

Mrcapcom

You'll probably still want the individual packs of the Defender and/or Bomber (depending if you really like either of those ships) since I'm assuming the pilots that come with the individual ships won't be included in the Veterans pack.

Just ordered Imp Aces, Phantom, Tie Expansion (For Backstabber and Howlrunner) I think im good now next immediate purchase will be:

Lambda
Defender
Bomber

I can't wait for Imp Vets, and Tie Advance Prototype. Still no word on when huh? I also think ill pick up Mist Runner too just for Tractor beam.

Is there any other Scum or Rebel ships I should buy just for cards to help my Imperials? I know I should buy Falcon which will be brought somewhere in there.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Just ordered Imp Aces, Phantom, Tie Expansion (For Backstabber and Howlrunner) I think im good now next immediate purchase will be:

Lambda
Defender
Bomber

I can't wait for Imp Vets, and Tie Advance Prototype. Still no word on when huh? I also think ill pick up Mist Runner too just for Tractor beam.

Is there any other Scum or Rebel ships I should buy just for cards to help my Imperials? I know I should buy Falcon which will be brought somewhere in there.

Did you get a StarViper to get a pair of Autothrusters upgrade cards?

Something like this for a 30 point game might be fun:

Tarn Mison (23)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R2-D6 (1)
Lone Wolf (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

I played this build last night for the 30 point game. I got stomped first game and second game was a bit closer.

First game was against N'dru Suhlak with cluster missiles, lone wolf, hot shot blaster.. and something else.

It was nasty, killed me in one pass.

Second game was against same guy with a Hounds Tooth/Greedo build... that was a fun one we had a lot of maneuvering around. He killed me using the red 0 stop maneuver. Second game was way more fun :)

Mrcapcom

Guys for a critical hit with no shields does the initial card still count as one damage and then you resolve the card?
Example
Roll dice
Get hit and 1 crit
Ship has 1 shield and 3 hull
1 hit on shield 1 on hull flip card and it says suffer 2 dmg
-2 dmg and ship is gone.

Is that right? I figure a critical is still a hit but with extra damage so you still get your 1 hit then the extra damage is whatever is on the card the actual critical

I think the card you're referring to is "Direct Hit", which counts as 2 hits instead of 1.

So if you target a ship that has 1 shield and 3 hull, getting 1 hit and 1 crit, your first (and only) hit will strip off the remaining shield. You then deal the damage card face up (because the next damage is a crit) and as it is a direct hit, it counts as 2 "damage". So your target would remain with 1 Hull Point left.

AbsolutBro is right, the exact wording on 'Direct Hit' is something like 'this card counts as 2 hits against your hull.' So the card itself isn't causing your ship to suffer any extra damage but rather acting as a proxy for 2 hits when all other damage cards just act as 1.

Mrcapcom

No I'm new to the game lol I'm saying like how does critical hits work? It would seem if I deal a critical to your hull which is a face up card the card it self still counts as one hit plus whatever is on the card right?

No I'm new to the game lol I'm saying like how does critical hits work? It would seem if I deal a critical to your hull which is a face up card the card it self still counts as one hit plus whatever is on the card right?

Basically your conclusion is correct. Every damage card count as 1 damage (with the exception of Direct Hit which counts as 2 when it is faceup). So suffering from an cancelled crit will result in you taking a faceup damage card which is 1 damage plus whatever the negative trait that the crit card has written on it.

The reason I got a little confused is you mentioned in the example with a crit which says 'suffer 2 dmg.' Their is no crit in the game that does this, so I thought you were confused about the 'Direct Hit' ruling. If their was however a crit that read as that you are correct that ship would be dead since it would have been dealt 3 damage cards (1 for the basic crit and 2 extra facedown) which would have met its hull value;.

PBalfredo

My T-70 peg broke off the other day, and while it was difficult (although I'm sure with the right supplies it would have been much easier), with a bit of superglue I was able to get it back on and it's completely fine now. (Remember, less superglue is more)

Before you try anything though, you should take a picture and submit a request to FFG (at this link: http://parts.asmodeena.com/). They are typically really cool about replacing stuff like this, just make sure you explain that it was brand new and you barely applied any force and it snapped off, indicating that it was defective. They most likely will take one to two weeks to fulfill the request but their customer service is usually extremely generous when it comes to these kinds of issues.

Got my replacement TIE Defender model in the mail today. No problems with support. Thanks for the heads up.

I played this build last night for the 30 point game. I got stomped first game and second game was a bit closer.

First game was against N'dru Suhlak with cluster missiles, lone wolf, hot shot blaster.. and something else.

It was nasty, killed me in one pass.

Second game was against same guy with a Hounds Tooth/Greedo build... that was a fun one we had a lot of maneuvering around. He killed me using the red 0 stop maneuver. Second game was way more fun :)

Sorry to hear Tarn didn't work out in your games. N'dru Suhlak with Cluster Missiles is pretty brutal, especially decked out with upgrades like he was!

Got my replacement TIE Defender model in the mail today. No problems with support. Thanks for the heads up.

Awesome! :D They've always been awesome about replacing stuff.

What do you guys think about this list? https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...,-1,-1,-1,63,-1,-1:-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron

I'd rather have Autothrusters on Poe obviously, but to make room I had to compromise. I could also go with Tactician on the Warden instead of C3P0 for some stress dealing potential and an initiative bid.

What do you guys think about this list? https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...,-1,-1,-1,63,-1,-1:-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron

I'd rather have Autothrusters on Poe obviously, but to make room I had to compromise. I could also go with Tactician on the Warden instead of C3P0 for some stress dealing potential and an initiative bid.

Very solid list, everyone there is built well and would be effective. This is just me speaking but personally I would drop Luke since that frees up the points to give Poe the autothrusters, upgrade that K into Miranda and have points left over to get 2 generic Headhunters . Something like this:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...-1,-1:-1:-1:;64:-1:-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron

Very solid list, everyone there is built well and would be effective. This is just me speaking but personally I would drop Luke since that frees up the points to give Poe the autothrusters, upgrade that K into Miranda and have points left over to get 2 generic Headhunters . Something like this:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...-1,-1:-1:-1:;64:-1:-1:-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron

Thanks for the input and you're probably right. In fact, funnily enough, I made almost the same exact list a couple of pages ago and am inclined to think it's probably stronger than the Luke one like you said:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...1:;64:-1:-1:-1:;64:-1:-1:-1:&sn=Regen Assault

I just thought that maybe having two PS10 ships might be something to consider.

Mrcapcom

Yeah I only have 1 Sensor Jammer, was just proxying it. Autothrusters and Sensor Jammer are really good against turreted ships (Especially TLT) since they trigger for each of the two attacks.

Yea and see my friends I play with all use TLT. I'm going to try and see if I can get a star viper today at least ill get two AT's and Accuracy Corrector. I gotta check wikia for Sensor Jammer if that comes with Star Viper its even better

Mrcapcom

If it helps, Lambda does have a lot of really good upgrades in it. Vader, HLC, Navigator, Intel Agent, Rebel Captive and of course Advanced Sensors. True buying a ship just for its upgrades is always a bit of a bummer but at least the Lambda has a lot of them.

Not a sad face for me I actually was planning on buying Lambda next. I think I have all Imperial Ships except:

Lambda
Assault Carrier
Bomber
Defender

I'm thinking of running in my local tournament in a couple weeks. Any good builds? I suspect doing the TLT one you guys posted would be the best build. I mainly play imperial.

H1PSTER

Not a sad face for me I actually was planning on buying Lambda next. I think I have all Imperial Ships except:

Lambda
Assault Carrier
Bomber
Defender

I'm thinking of running in my local tournament in a couple weeks. Any good builds? I suspect doing the TLT one you guys posted would be the best build. I mainly play imperial.

"Zeta Leader" (20)
Wired (1)
Hull Upgrade (3)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Rexler Brath (37)
Predator (3)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I am having a huge amount of fun with this.

I'm also going to take it to a store tourny on the 7th, I don't expect it to do great but it's just so glorious.

Mrcapcom

Sweet nice build. Thanks everyone for the help thus far.

I have another question regarding how to play. I usually play casual and like I said before I get tore apart dealing with TLT. But I see so many people saying that run different builds like Decimator and I do but it seems like I still get tore up and mathematically seems impossible. It's like I get hit with two TLTs which is 4 hits per round on Decimator. When I attack back it doesn't even seem like im making a difference espcially since I'm fighting rebels all the time. I attack and I'm always just picking off shields where as most of my ships Vader & Decimator just soak up the hits and due lol. Obviously I'm playing wrong so what should I do? I keep reading these builds (imp builds) and they like yea I do tons of damage and I feel like all my ships shoot peas....

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sweet nice build. Thanks everyone for the help thus far.

I have another question regarding how to play. I usually play casual and like I said before I get tore apart dealing with TLT. But I see so many people saying that run different builds like Decimator and I do but it seems like I still get tore up and mathematically seems impossible. It's like I get hit with two TLTs which is 4 hits per round on Decimator. When I attack back it doesn't even seem like im making a difference espcially since I'm fighting rebels all the time. I attack and I'm always just picking off shields where as most of my ships Vader & Decimator just soak up the hits and due lol. Obviously I'm playing wrong so what should I do? I keep reading these builds (imp builds) and they like yea I do tons of damage and I feel like all my ships shoot peas....

Firstly, focus down one target with both your Decimator and Vader. Focusing all your fire on one target is important in this game and sometimes people don't pay enough attention to do it.

Secondly, get both your ships into range one of a TLT ship. Not only will you be throwing more red dice but the target won't be able to fire its TLT at you because it has a range-one donut hole — it only fires at range 2 and 3.

Thirdly, try to set up your asteroids at the beginning of the game so that it's as TLT-unfriendly as possible. This is more of an art than a science and it takes practice. Setting out obstacles is an important part of X-Wing that can make or break a game before dials are even set for the first time.

Try to clump the asteroids (or debris fields, but I'd recommend asteroids when facing TLT ships) near the center of the board and set up your two ships on the opposite side of that clump from where your opponent has set up his ships. You want to try to break up their formation and hopefully keep at least one TLT ship out of range from shooting at you when the others have a shot. That way, your Decimator isn't getting focused down as much.

It's easier for your own ships to stay together despite the asteroid field because 1) you only have two of them while the opponent probably has three or four, and 2) your ships have better dials than the TLT ships — yes, even the Decimator, although Scum Y-Wings with Unhinged Astromechs are the exception because they have some of the better dials in the game.

One way to make a clump if your opponent has initiative: When your opponent sets the first obstacle, set your three obstacles up in a square formation off of that first obstacle he set down. Put your first obstacle range 1 from his first obstacle, then when it's your turn to set one down again, put it range 1 from the opponent's first obstacle but in a different direction from your first obstacle (perpendicularly), then for your last obstacle, complete the square by setting it range 1 from your first two obstacles (which should be "across the square" from your opponent's first obstacle). While you're doing this, your opponent will be free to set his second and third obstacles on the board wherever, which you can't control, but this way you use his first obstacle to do what you want: Create a clump that will get in the way of Y-Wings and HWKs.

Mrcapcom

Awesome advice thanks. I think another issue is that decimator has no agility so I cant even defend if I wanted to. Vader ends up flying alone while decimator gets wrecked by the time Vader comes to help. Should I be rushing with decimator instead. I'm up to trying different builds tho I mainly have imp. Swarm sounds good but im not super good with formation flying. I have all imp ships now except assult carrier,lambda,bomber and defender.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Awesome advice thanks. I think another issue is that decimator has no agility so I cant even defend if I wanted to. Vader ends up flying alone while decimator gets wrecked by the time Vader comes to help. Should I be rushing with decimator instead. I'm up to trying different builds tho I mainly have imp. Swarm sounds good but im not super good with formation flying. I have all imp ships now except assult carrier,lambda,bomber and defender.

What is your Decimator build? My favorite Decimator is running Kenkirk (who gets 1 agility die once he's lost all his shields and taken one hull damage) with Ysanne Isaard (who gives 1 free evade action at the beginning of the Combat Phase once you've lost all your shields and taken one hull damage) with Push the Limit and either Palpatine or Gunner and Vader. Since you're flying Vader, you can't use Vader crew, so if you've bought the Imperial Raider that the Palpatine comes with, try out Palpatine. He makes it a little easier to put the hurt on TLT ships ;)

It's also helpful to have Engine Upgrade on the Decimator. You can use that boost to get into range one of a TLT ship or get out of range three of a TLT ship, and if you're running Push the Limit, you can Push the Limit off of your free evade that Ysanne gives you at the beginning of the Combat Phase to boost, which is nice to do after everyone has moved and you know the lay of the land. It's also a good trick for when you land on an asteroid — you still get to do an evade action with Ysanne even if you're on an asteroid (you only skip your normal action when you land on an asteroid, you don't lose every action) and you can Push the Limit off of that to boost off of the rock and still get your attack. (That's another reason I like taking all asteroids instead of debris fields when I run my Decimator.)

Mrcapcom

Do you have a build link for that combo? Who's the best to pair with Decimator I like Vader mainly for the double actions he can zip around the field really fast. I just got rebel aces and phantom so I wonder if they will do a better job.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Do you have a build link for that combo? Who's the best to pair with Decimator I like Vader mainly for the double actions he can zip around the field really fast. I just got rebel aces and phantom so I wonder if they will do a better job.

I didn't, so I built it just now.

I used to fly Kenkirk with Soontir a year ago when the Decimator was still pretty new: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/421450/kenkirk-soontir

I've flown him more recently with Vader, who is good, too (and this is with Palpatine on the Deci, now that Palpatine is out): http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/421454/kenkirk-vader

Mrcapcom

Awesome thanks it seems like its pretty much what I run. I know last time I played I was trying to use the pilot that gives damage for overlapping. And I was trying to bump them and keep them in place but I ended up just bumping giving 1 dmg and they ran away smh. To keep a ship in place you have to ram from the front right?

Edit:
I like the Kenkirk Build. Sootnir looks good too but I don't have stealth devices.

I think another issue is that decimator has no agility so I cant even defend if I wanted to. Vader ends up flying alone while decimator gets wrecked by the time Vader comes to help.

This is likely a big reason why you are having so much trouble. Just as your goal is to focus down enemy ships, you want to cause your opponent to be forced not to focus down any of your ships. If you're running a two ship build and one of your ships is late to the party on the approach, you are going to be fighting an uphill battle for the rest of the game since the enemy ships have free reign to commit to one of your ships until it's dead without either 1) any damage mitigation between multiple ships HP pools) or 2) (In Vader's case) A flanking ship wasting turns not doing damage while you are taking damage. Also, it prevents you from being able to attack the same ship in a single turn, which is pretty important, especially if your target has Focus and/or Evade tokens. Your first ship fires, and even if you do no damage, it's likely you're forcing the target to spend their token(s), which in turn sets up your next attack with your other ship(s) since they no longer will have any tokens to spend on defense.

You should definitely practice being able to judge your initial approaches better so that your Decimator isn't waiting on Vader while it's getting whittled down.

Mrcapcom

This is likely a big reason why you are having so much trouble. Just as your goal is to focus down enemy ships, you want to cause your opponent to be forced not to focus down any of your ships. If you're running a two ship build and one of your ships is late to the party on the approach, you are going to be fighting an uphill battle for the rest of the game since the enemy ships have free reign to commit to one of your ships until it's dead without either 1) any damage mitigation between multiple ships HP pools) or 2) (In Vader's case) A flanking ship wasting turns not doing damage while you are taking damage. Also, it prevents you from being able to attack the same ship in a single turn, which is pretty important, especially if your target has Focus and/or Evade tokens. Your first ship fires, and even if you do no damage, it's likely you're forcing the target to spend their token(s), which in turn sets up your next attack with your other ship(s) since they no longer will have any tokens to spend on defense.

You should definitely practice being able to judge your initial approaches better so that your Decimator isn't waiting on Vader while it's getting whittled down.

Thats exactly what I'm doing. I basically say hey let me slowly move decimator towards vader adn have vader zip up and around them and pincer the ships. I can cover the whole map but once I go to turn back around and basically follow them back to Decimator they already using TLT to attack. Another issue im having is Shields, the last list I went against ran Scum so his ships were Slave 1 and 2 Y wings with TLT. I went to go do a force stop on Slave 1 and messed up I thought if I went and bumped him I couldn't move(apparently you have to be directly in the front for this?) While Slave basically did nothing the Y Wings TLT'd me down, Vader was still MIA smh

So I see making that mistake trying to take down Slave 1 cost me the TLT shots and boosting up to the Y Wings was making things difficult. Vader did get a couple shots but it was all being eaten by the shields so it didn't really matter.

Slermy

I'm really looking forward to Wave 8 & the Imperial Veterans pack.

However, I've hit a bit of a road block. I've been trying to come up with a list with my two favorite ship designs (Defender & Interceptors), but think the TIE Advanced Prototype will pair very well with Vessery (very similar dials, and the title combos).

I'm really torn with what direction to go with. Is it worth flying Soontir Fel without Autothrusters? How good is the Royal Guard Pilot? Should I go with Ion Cannon or Tractor Beam? Am I making Vessery too juicy of a target?

Here are my three possible lists. Each of these is 100 points, and I like to try to flank with the Interceptors. Any comments / guidance are appreciated.

Option 1:

Colonel Vessery (Defender)
  • Tractor Beam
  • TIE/D

Soontir Fel (Interceptor)
  • Push the Limit

Sienar Test Pilot (TIE Advanced Prototype) x2
  • TIE /v1

Option 2:

• Veteran Instincts
  • Ion Cannon
  • TIE/D

Royal Guard Pilot (Interceptor)
  • Push the Limit
  • Autothrusters

• TIE /v1

Option 3:

• Veteran Instincts
  • Tractor Beam
  • TIE/D

Carnor Jax (Interceptor)
  • Push the Limit

• TIE /v1

On a side note, has anyone tried painting their ships? I'm thinking of trying my hand at painting a TIE Advanced Prototype to match the "Imperial Blue" of the later ships. I've read Vallejo's "Sombre Grey" is a good match.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Try all three, Slermy, but I think Option 2 looks the best. Autothrusters are important on your Interceptor.

I run my first tournament today. It's a Store Championship. I don't trust the couple tournament running apps out there because I've heard they have bugs or aren't updated, so I'm rolling with an Excel spreadsheet I put together last night and my own knowledge of the rules. Wish me luck...

Tensketch

Just found out that for the second year in a row, the only store in my city to get a store championship kit held it in secret and only invited a select number of people because they can barely fit 10 people and won't hire a venue. No other store in the city gets access to this kit so most of the local meta have to travel out to play.

Is there somewhere I can complain to so this doesn't happen again?

Slermy

What does the store say? Do you frequent them often? I'd think your best option is to complain to them as a customer and threaten to take your business elsewhere.

Nete

I guess your only options are to send an email to FFG (which will be probably ignored :p) or do some good ol' name and shaming in the official forums to bring some attention to it.

On the other hand, I've started to play again after few months away from the game. Triple TIE Defender lists with the titles (Vessery-Marksmanship-D-Tractor + 2x Onyx-x7, 3x Deltas-D-Ions, or 3x Onyx-D-Tractor) are amazeballs. Tractor is hilarious and a pain to deal with between the reposition ("COME TO RANGE 1, LITTLE TLT" or "oh look, a rock!") and the -1 Defense. Kenkirk with Palp? YT with C3PO? What's that?

I can't wait to use the Vader-Inquisitor-something list.

Tensketch

What does the store say? Do you frequent them often? I'd think your best option is to complain to them as a customer and threaten to take your business elsewhere.

I went to their first ever tourney and signed up for the announcement email. But they never emailed me and kept the tourney secret. They only told people who go to their Saturday morning board game club (in which they only play 1 game of X-wing) and told them not to tell anyone else (only reason we found out is cos someone who went told us).

I wouldn't be bothered but it's a store championship kit and they're the only store in the city that esdevium send it to.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Thanks for the feedback Danthrax. How'd your tournament go?

It went pretty well! I got to the store about 45 minutes before registration opened up so I could set things up, print out sheets for the players, etc. The owner had a cool setup in which I could hook my laptop into an HDMI cord and it would double my screen onto a large TV hanging from the ceiling, which I used to show player standings and, during rounds, display a giant timer counting down the time left in the round. Here's what it looked like:

ircOK30.jpg

My laptop is sitting on a shelf on the left. A couple games of X-Wing are being played just behind the big TV and there were three more games (plus the store's front door and counter) behind me as I took the photo. Very cool setup and very easy. There also was wifi, which the owner let me log into. That was very helpful.

We ended up with 10 players, which was a little low considering there was no entry fee whatsoever, but oh well. It was a manageable number for me — not a tiny four-person thing, but not some huge 32-player event, either. Everyone seemed like they had a good time and thanked me for running the tournament. The store owner said it looked like it went smoothly, and when I tried to buy a comic book and a Pokémon booster (my girlfriend likes opening one now and then), he bagged them up and gave them to me free of charge! So that was cool of him.

I probably got asked ruling questions about four times per round, and I knew the answer three out of four times. About once per round I had to pull up my iPad, which I loaded up with all the PDFs pertaining to the rules and the FAQ, to look up something I didn't immediately know. I think the only ruling I missed was one about Pushing the Limit off of a critical hit damage card action. The player got the crit that disallows you from doing the actions in your action bar but lets you perform an action to roll a die and try to flip the card face down. Well, he did the card's action and successfully turned it face down, then he asked me if he could Push the Limit after that. The FAQ entry for Push the Limit said nothing about that interaction and I didn't find the crit in the FAQ, so I told him no because I'd never heard of someone Pushing the Limit off of a damage card's action so I assumed it couldn't be done. But thinking about it later and Googling to see if anyone on a forum had brought it up, I found a Reddit thread that convinced me that I probably was wrong and since the damage card's action still counts as an action, and it just got flipped face down, the player should be able to Push off of it. Thankfully that player won anyway or else I would have felt super guilty...

Heading into the tournament, I was all set up with Excel spreadsheets, intending to essentially pen-and-paper the tournament instead of using an app or Cryodex. But one of the players who showed up (who I know from seeing at lots of X-Wing events) convinced me to download Cryodex right there before the tournament was set to begin because it's "so easy, it does everything for you." Well I would have rather done things myself because the damn thing didn't pair people properly. It ignored Margin of Victory when pairing people with identical records; it randomly paired people together as long as they had the same record. So in round two, when I had five players with one win and five players with zero wins, it paired the person with the highest MoV against the person with the third-highest MoV. I believe it paired the person with the second-highest MoV and a win against a person with no wins. It was stupid and it could have been avoided had I just done the pairings myself. The players didn't seem to mind but it annoyed me.

Another complaint about Cryodex: I misspelled a person's name (wrote "Matt" instead of "Mitch") and I couldn't fix it. There was no way except to wipe out the whole tournament, delete the person's name from the list, enter the correct name and start a new tournament. The player didn't point out that I got his name wrong until the second round, so it was too late at that point. Very stupid, though; it should be an option in Cryodex.

So the worst part about the whole event was using Cryodex, haha. Oh, and the information sheet that Fantasy Flight sent with the kit listed the wrong contents: It said there should be five sets of acrylic tokens and nine dice bags, but the actual prize support in the Store Championship kit is five challenge coins and nine acrylic range rulers. It's like they copied and pasted that part from their Winter Kit sheet. SMH...

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I dont have 7 ties lol.
Shits expensive son!

haha.

well, that's fair.

and I guess some of the better unique tie pilots that you might throw in a one-off build are in the Assault Carrier (hello Wampa, come to daddy) (though, with one core set, one tie expansion, and an assault carrier, you have 5 Ties)

Top Bottom