• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

H1PSTER

I just got mines for 27 off Amazon. How much did you end up paying for Raider? I want to buy one too might get it next week I want a good deal I seen it sell for 61 now its back to 71.

Other than Amazon where is some good places to get deals on these guys?

Thanks a bunch I'll try it. Im still new but I think with Decimator I can use the mines to control the playing field a bit and maybe do some massive damage.

Because I had a discount code + store credit at Chaos Cards I got it for £47 - Chaos Cards give you discount codes depending on your membership level.

It's £53 there if you have no credit/discount codes.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
honestly, Yorr is so situational that I can't see how Sensor Jammer isn't a better idea knowing the Shuttle will get fired at a lot.

You also are committing yourself to bringing the Shuttle deep into the fight to be able to take those tokens. Which can be tricky for it once it makes its first pass.

But it could save you from a stresshog mistake. It also could enable a tricky red maneuver at some point.

And once the Shuttle has two stress, it's not coming back to the fight easily, and your investment in Palpatine may get wasted.

I think if you play it like that - you basically want to try to joust the stresshog off the board with the Shuttle and the aces flanking.

Mrcapcom

Because I had a discount code + store credit at Chaos Cards I got it for £47 - Chaos Cards give you discount codes depending on your membership level.

It's £53 there if you have no credit/discount codes.

Nice any online stores for the US?

honestly, Yorr is so situational that I can't see how Sensor Jammer isn't a better idea knowing the Shuttle will get fired at a lot.

You also are committing yourself to bringing the Shuttle deep into the fight to be able to take those tokens. Which can be tricky for it once it makes its first pass.

But it could save you from a stresshog mistake. It also could enable a tricky red maneuver at some point.

And once the Shuttle has two stress, it's not coming back to the fight easily, and your investment in Palpatine may get wasted.

I think if you play it like that - you basically want to try to joust the stresshog off the board with the Shuttle and the aces flanking.

All good points. Keeping them within range 2 max of the shuttle would be a restrictive element for sure. I think the goal with potentially going with Yorr would be just to fly the list like that only for the games where I'd be up against a Stresshog, otherwise I'd fly it more traditionally and not really pay much mind to the 1-2 range effect. But you're still right; Sensor Jammer is the safer option in most cases.

I'm still curious about Juno's loadout possibilities. I'm going to try testing her out without PTL and see if I can tolerate it or not, because I'm quite used to two actions with her.

Just ordered a bunch of stuff, think I have the stuff to make most rebel lists now.

On the way:
Outrider
3x Bwing
Z95
Y-Wing
Rebel Transport

I need most wanted somewhere down the line... but I think thats it.

So I experimented with Yorr and I do think his pilot ability will be pretty invaluable in the current stress control meta. I'm going to playtest it some more to see if I think it's more valuable than Sensor Jammer, but ultimately it will just come down to the matchups I happen to get.

I'm playing a 30 point game on Friday. I'm thinking of taking two prototype pilot A-wings with Chardaan refits.

Would it be better to have two ships on the board or one with upgrades?

I put this B-Wing together, it is 29 pts

===========
30 Pt Bwing
===========

29 points

Pilots
------

Blue Squadron Pilot (29)
B-Wing (22), Accuracy Corrector (3), B-Wing/E2 (1), C-3PO (3)

Thoughts? I'm not sure if accuracy corrector is very good.

Thoughts? I'm not sure if accuracy corrector is very good.

Hmm, I would probably go with either fire control system (a classic) or advanced sensors. Bwing already has a native 3 dice attack so with a focus or TL you are going to be rolling at least 2 attacks (probably 3) anyway and you don't need to save your actions for defensive purposes with C3PO being there. Depends on the type of game you are rolling with (either a few people with 30 point lists or many opponents) but I would go with fire control if you have only 2-3 opponents for the extra damage potential and advanced sensors if you are facing off against like 4-5+ enemies to help keep you out of killzones and general maneuvering increase. Good luck

Afraid I can't help with the 2A or 1B dilemma. 30 point games are fairly alien to me so I am not really sure what would be best. I would probably stick with 1B due to it being a known quantity but having 2 ships on the board when your opponents probably only have 1 could be a real ace in the hole, dunno.

Hmm, I would probably go with either fire control system (a classic) or advanced sensors. Bwing already has a native 3 dice attack so with a focus or TL you are going to be rolling at least 2 attacks (probably 3) anyway and you don't need to save your actions for defensive purposes with C3PO being there. Depends on the type of game you are rolling with (either a few people with 30 point lists or many opponents) but I would go with fire control if you have only 2-3 opponents for the extra damage potential and advanced sensors if you are facing off against like 4-5+ enemies to help keep you out of killzones and general maneuvering increase. Good luck

Afraid I can't help with the 2A or 1B dilemma. 30 point games are fairly alien to me so I am not really sure what would be best. I would probably stick with 1B due to it being a known quantity but having 2 ships on the board when your opponents probably only have 1 could be a real ace in the hole, dunno.

As far as I know its going to be a 1v1 30 point game. The idea is to play a game at 30 points this week and increase points next week.

Good info on the accuracy corrector, the advanced sensors for a quick barrel roll might be pretty cool.

The 2A list is way more maneuverable... but I might have more fun flying a tanky B-Wing.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
As far as I know its going to be a 1v1 30 point game. The idea is to play a game at 30 points this week and increase points next week.

Good info on the accuracy corrector, the advanced sensors for a quick barrel roll might be pretty cool.

The 2A list is way more maneuverable... but I might have more fun flying a tanky B-Wing.

C-3PO is super effective in a one-v-one match.

Your biggest fear is basically a two ship list that might be able to outmanuever you

If it is 1v1 I would 100% recommend Fire-Control System in that system slot then, with that and C3PO their are no ships that can outpace the damage you will be throwing out other then another Bwing. Arc dodger ships like the Interceptor and Awing could give you trouble but as long as you keep the pressure up I think you should get enough shots in to break them before they break you.

H1PSTER

Got the Bespin playmat today and C-3PO...

I am ready for some nerdgasms when I finally have a chance to play using that mat! The art is incredible.

That does seem really cool. Which of those cards can you pitch using integrated astromech?

You'd sacrifice R2-D6, and if I am remembering correctly, in the recent FAQ (someone correct me if I'm wrong), that would have no effect on your Lone Wolf upgrade (which was only made available to Tarn due to R2-D6 providing the open slot since Tarn doesn't have an EPT without that astromech).

There was a period of time where people weren't sure if Integrated Astromech triggering and removing R2-D6 would also result in the Elite Pilot Talent upgrade being removed since it was thought to have been "tied" to R2-D6, but apparently that isn't the case and the EPT remains.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/40tnz3/official_answer_about_r2d6_on_the_ffg_forums_yes/

You'd sacrifice R2-D6, and if I am remembering correctly, in the recent FAQ (someone correct me if I'm wrong), that would have no effect on your Lone Wolf upgrade (which was only made available to Tarn due to R2-D6 providing the open slot since Tarn doesn't have an EPT without that astromech).

There was a period of time where people weren't sure if Integrated Astromech triggering and removing R2-D6 would also result in the Elite Pilot Talent upgrade being removed since it was thought to have been "tied" to R2-D6, but apparently that isn't the case and the EPT remains.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/40tnz3/official_answer_about_r2d6_on_the_ffg_forums_yes/

Ok cool, good link. My question about what to discard was kind of dumb. Once I stopped looking at the card in squadron builder, and looked at the actual card...it shows the astromech symbol right there.

Mrcapcom

So I love Imperial. But it just seems like its not alot of good lists like competitive lists. Also I love my Tie Advance and Ties but man that 2 attack is killing me what am I doing wrong?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So I love Imperial. But it just seems like its not alot of good lists like competitive lists. Also I love my Tie Advance and Ties but man that 2 attack is killing me what am I doing wrong?

The TIE Advanced needs the upgrades found in the Raider. It needs the title that gives it a system slot as well as a -4 point discount on any system you attach to it. Then you either give it the Advanced Targeting Computer system that also comes with the Raider (if you're attaching it to a high-PS pilot) or give it the Accuracy Corrector system that comes with the StarViper (if you're attaching it to a low-PS pilot). Doing these things makes the TIE Advanced beastly.

Regular TIE Fighters in a swarm need the offensive rerolls provided by the highest PS TIE Fighter pilot, Howlrunner. Even in a small swarm of just four TIE Fighters accompanying a maneuverable ace like Soontir Fel or Whisper, one of those four TIE Fighters ought to be Howlrunner. Otherwise, their attacks just aren't effective enough. (Splashing a TIE Fighter ace into a mixed squadron is another story and might be effective depending on the pilot you choose — Night Beast and Wampa are popular choices.)

Yeah, make sure that you're running your TIE Advanced with the aforementioned system upgrades like Danthrax said. Vader with an Advanced Targeting Computer really dishes out some heavy damage. The list I'm planning to take to my store championship this Saturday is actually the following (pretty much finally settled on something):

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...55:71,-1,132,-1:-1:-1:&sn=Vader PTL Juno Yorr

Advanced Targeting Computer essentially gives each TIE Advanced a 3 die attack (4 in range 1), one of which is a guaranteed crit. So, 1 crit + 2 die without the range 1 bonus being applied. Coupled with using Palpatine offensively (I usually reserve him for defensive purposes unless I feel safe that particular combat phase), and you have a guaranteed 2 crits each round with one single attack volley, not counting the follow up guaranteed crit with the 2nd TIE Advanced if you are focus firing down a target.

I'm going to miss Maarek Stele for this list, but I think I prefer Juno's higher pilot skill and pilot ability. I'm also considering trying out a similar list in the future but with Wampa thrown in somewhere. Wampa + Palpatine sounds insane.

Edit: Something like this: http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...1:;55:71,-1,132,-1:-1:-1:&sn=Vader Wampa Palp

Punishing One sounds really cool. I also like how it comes with the Boba Fett crew card. In the old EU (legends?) books, Dengar and Boba Fett end up together after he escapes the Sarlacc Pit. It is cool that FFG puts so much EU stuff into the game.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Boba Fett is terrific for Scum. Hard Palpatine counter (and many other things - C-3PO - etc)

That new droid that can deal damage is terrific too in the ace meta, leave it on a high health / regen ship.

Scum is now the ace hunting faction

Stick Boba on the Firespray or YV-666, give them the ad homing missiles and you could wipe out Palpatine before he even gets the chance to act once. The AHMs are range 2 only so you would have to be careful with them but that is a really scary thing coming into the meta.

Wow at that article. Some great new options for Scum.

Stick Boba on the Firespray or YV-666, give them the ad homing missiles and you could wipe out Palpatine before he even gets the chance to act once. The AHMs are range 2 only so you would have to be careful with them but that is a really scary thing coming into the meta.

Yeah, Advanced Homing Missiles combo'd with Boba crew is going to make the opening approach extremely dangerous if running Palp.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Rage is so abusable.

rage.png

Pair this with stuff that gets rid of stress (Wingman upgrade, Captain Yorr, Epsilon Leader, etc.) or with someone who doesn't care about stress (Tycho!) and you've got a hell of a deal: Effectively focus and target lock every turn for a 1-point upgrade.

Rage is so abusable.

rage.png

Pair this with stuff that gets rid of stress (Wingman upgrade, Captain Yorr, Epsilon Leader, etc.) or with someone who doesn't care about stress (Tycho!) and you've got a hell of a deal: Effectively focus and target lock every turn for a 1-point upgrade.

Or put Advanced Sensors on 4-Lom. Take your action first to get 1 Focus and 2 Stress. Green maneuver to clear one stress, end of the turn offload your second stress onto a nearby enemy.

Could be fun on Keyan with advanced sensors. Rage, do a green to get rid of 1st stress and the 2nd during the attack itself. Save the focus for the defense roll and the 3 rerolls with a HLC perhaps. Not 100% sure if it is better then giving him Stay on Target or PTL but it is a nice cheaper alternative.

Boba Fett is terrific for Scum. Hard Palpatine counter (and many other things - C-3PO - etc)

That new droid that can deal damage is terrific too in the ace meta, leave it on a high health / regen ship.

Scum is now the ace hunting faction

Not to mention the Dengar crew card, which is basically Predator for unique pilots (at the same cost!)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Not to mention the Dengar crew card, which is basically Predator for unique pilots (at the same cost!)

this is honestly the biggest news IMHO. Aces are way more prevalent in most metas than scubs. On top of that, predator is "PS2 or less". Dengar as "unique" meaning "almost any" PS as long as they are unique.

Makes it very appealing to build a good mix of unique and scrub in a squadron.

this is honestly the biggest news IMHO. Aces are way more prevalent in most metas than scubs. On top of that, predator is "PS2 or less". Dengar as "unique" meaning "almost any" PS as long as they are unique.

Makes it very appealing to build a good mix of unique and scrub in a squadron.

What's even crazier is since Dengar is a crew card, a Scum ship can potentially have Dengar and Predator on the same ship. It's a little overkill obviously, but so is having Han, Predator, and Gunner, and we've seen how well that does.

Mrcapcom

The TIE Advanced needs the upgrades found in the Raider. It needs the title that gives it a system slot as well as a -4 point discount on any system you attach to it. Then you either give it the Advanced Targeting Computer system that also comes with the Raider (if you're attaching it to a high-PS pilot) or give it the Accuracy Corrector system that comes with the StarViper (if you're attaching it to a low-PS pilot). Doing these things makes the TIE Advanced beastly.

Regular TIE Fighters in a swarm need the offensive rerolls provided by the highest PS TIE Fighter pilot, Howlrunner. Even in a small swarm of just four TIE Fighters accompanying a maneuverable ace like Soontir Fel or Whisper, one of those four TIE Fighters ought to be Howlrunner. Otherwise, their attacks just aren't effective enough. (Splashing a TIE Fighter ace into a mixed squadron is another story and might be effective depending on the pilot you choose — Night Beast and Wampa are popular choices.)

Yeah, make sure that you're running your TIE Advanced with the aforementioned system upgrades like Danthrax said. Vader with an Advanced Targeting Computer really dishes out some heavy damage. The list I'm planning to take to my store championship this Saturday is actually the following (pretty much finally settled on something):

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...55:71,-1,132,-1:-1:-1:&sn=Vader PTL Juno Yorr

Advanced Targeting Computer essentially gives each TIE Advanced a 3 die attack (4 in range 1), one of which is a guaranteed crit. So, 1 crit + 2 die without the range 1 bonus being applied. Coupled with using Palpatine offensively (I usually reserve him for defensive purposes unless I feel safe that particular combat phase), and you have a guaranteed 2 crits each round with one single attack volley, not counting the follow up guaranteed crit with the 2nd TIE Advanced if you are focus firing down a target.

I'm going to miss Maarek Stele for this list, but I think I prefer Juno's higher pilot skill and pilot ability. I'm also considering trying out a similar list in the future but with Wampa thrown in somewhere. Wampa + Palpatine sounds insane.

Edit: Something like this: http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...1:;55:71,-1,132,-1:-1:-1:&sn=Vader Wampa Palp
I just brought the Raider :) so I have all the cards for it. So I basically need to target lock the mess out of people. That I know haven't been doing. I am still new to the game. Also I can only target lock 1 person at a time till I spend it right?

Also I can only target lock 1 person at a time till I spend it right?

Yeah, with the exception of a few pilots you can only maintain one target lock at once. If you attempt a TL on a different ship (or are 'given' a TL through another pilots skills) the original one you were maintaining goes away.

What's even crazier is since Dengar is a crew card, a Scum ship can potentially have Dengar and Predator on the same ship. It's a little overkill obviously, but so is having Han, Predator, and Gunner, and we've seen how well that does.

Not really overkill in a fleet with Torkil Mux though! You'd get to reroll up to 4 dice; basically a TL. Just in case you spent your TL on torpedoes or something.

I just brought the Raider :) so I have all the cards for it. So I basically need to target lock the mess out of people. That I know haven't been doing. I am still new to the game. Also I can only target lock 1 person at a time till I spend it right?

Typically, spending your action on a Target Lock is a risky proposition unless you are fairly certain that you will not have to worry about enemy ships attacking your ship that combat phase (Since a Focus or Evade will help mitigate damage, or a Barrel Roll or Boost would possibly get you out of a firing arc, while a Target Lock is purely offensive).

This is why Vader works so well with that Advanced Targeting Computer. His pilot ability gives him two actions per turn, so it's not as risky anymore to take your Target Lock. Push the Limit also allows two actions per turn (at the cost of taking a stress), and the reason I put it on my 2nd TIE Advanced (Juno Eclipse) is so she also gets to Target Lock while also performing a more defensive action. Since Target Locks are so important to get a good use out of Advanced Targeting Computers, I think two actions are pretty essential to perform effectively. Otherwise, Accuracy Corrector is probably the way to go.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Typically, spending your action on a Target Lock is a risky proposition unless you are fairly certain that you will not have to worry about enemy ships attacking your ship that combat phase (Since a Focus or Evade will help mitigate damage, or a Barrel Roll or Boost would possibly get you out of a firing arc, while a Target Lock is purely offensive).

This is why Vader works so well with that Advanced Targeting Computer. His pilot ability gives him two actions per turn, so it's not as risky anymore to take your Target Lock. Push the Limit also allows two actions per turn (at the cost of taking a stress), and the reason I put it on my 2nd TIE Advanced (Juno Eclipse) is so she also gets to Target Lock while also performing a more defensive action. Since Target Locks are so important to get a good use out of Advanced Targeting Computers, I think two actions are pretty essential to perform effectively. Otherwise, Accuracy Corrector is probably the way to go.

unless you have Jendon with ST-321 title handing out a target lock on turn 1, muahaha

On that note, I'd like to show you guys a list I've titled "I Have You Now":

Colonel Jendon w/ ST-321, Emperor Palpatine (37 points)
Darth Vader w/ TIE/x1, Advanced Targeting Computer, Predator, Engine Upgrade (29 points)
Omega Leader w/ Juke, Comm Relay (21 points)
TOTAL: 100 points

On turn one, Jendon does a target lock action, target locking an enemy ship across the board (thanks to the ST-321 title). Omega Leader does an evade action, which will stay on him the rest of the game thanks to Comm Relay. (Vader does whatever.) At the beginning of combat, use Jendon's pilot ability to move his blue target lock token to Omega Leader or Vader.

On turn two, target lock again with Jendon, then at the beginning of combat move his blue token to Omega Leader or Vader, whichever didn't get it on turn one.

Now you've got both ships set up: Vader uses his target lock to add a crit to his attack rolls for free with Advanced Targeting Computer and can get rerolls with Predator, allowing him to spend his two actions per turn on focus, boost, barrel roll or evade; Omega Leader uses Juke (because he always has that evade token) to change an evade result to a focus, which can't be modified thanks to his pilot ability (that prevents a target locked ship from modifying attack and defense dice) which triggers thanks to the target lock Jendon gave him. Meanwhile, the Palpatine on the shuttle provides support for Vader and Omega.

It's more synergy than the Empire ever thought possible! I'm 2-1 with it so far; I like it but I'm not sure it throws enough red dice. The shuttle definitely needs to get into the fight and shoot things or else there isn't enough firepower to win with this list, which is unfortunate but there's not much to be done about it. If the two fighters get killed, you're probably toast because it's easy to get behind the shuttle and blast it to pieces. What do you guys think?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
unless you have Jendon with ST-321 title handing out a target lock on turn 1, muahaha

Darth Vader w/ TIE/x1, Advanced Targeting Computer, Predator, Engine Upgrade (29 points)

On turn one, Jendon does a target lock action, target locking an enemy ship across the board (thanks to the ST-321 title). Omega Leader does an evade action, which will stay on him the rest of the game thanks to Comm Relay. (Vader does whatever.) At the beginning of combat, use Jendon's pilot ability to move his blue target lock token to Omega Leader or Vader.

On turn two, target lock again with Jendon, then at the beginning of combat move his blue token to Omega Leader or Vader, whichever didn't get it on turn one.

Now you've got both ships set up: Vader uses his target lock to add a crit to his attack rolls for free with Advanced Targeting Computer and can get rerolls with Predator, allowing him to spend his two actions per turn on focus, boost, barrel roll or evade; Omega Leader uses Juke (because he always has that evade token) to change an evade result to a focus, which can't be modified thanks to his pilot ability (that prevents a target locked ship from modifying attack and defense dice) which triggers thanks to the target lock Jendon gave him. Meanwhile, the Palpatine on the shuttle provides support for Vader and Omega.

It's more synergy than the Empire ever thought possible! I'm 2-1 with it so far; I like it but I'm not sure it throws enough red dice. The shuttle definitely needs to get into the fight and shoot things or else there isn't enough firepower to win with this list, which is unfortunate but there's not much to be done about it. If the two fighters get killed, you're probably toast because it's easy to get behind the shuttle and blast it to pieces. What do you guys think?

The idea is good, but I think I think Jendon / ST-321 are too expensive vs Omicron and no title just to get one/two TL actions early. Better ways to spend those points elsewhere.

That early in the game, you aren't even sure if you'll get to engage the target you locked. It just seems like a ton of points into some synergy where you could put them onto something more generally useful.

If you want to test it out, hit me up for a Vassal game. I wouldn't mind testing out my build against another Palp build since I expect I'll probably be up against one or two in the Store Championship I'm attending this Saturday.

Mrcapcom

This is what I like you guys are awesome. Everywhere I go for tactics is all rebels or scum or Tie swarms. Am I looking in the wrong places lol I will say this the tactics above I didn't remember so I'm going to experiment. My next purchase (imp obviously) will be phantom and imp aces. Any other ships I should buy? So far I have Vader, red blue core, punisher, interceptor and decimator.

This is what I like you guys are awesome. Everywhere I go for tactics is all rebels or scum or Tie swarms. Am I looking in the wrong places lol I will say this the tactics above I didn't remember so I'm going to experiment. My next purchase (imp obviously) will be phantom and imp aces. Any other ships I should buy? So far I have Vader, red blue core, punisher, interceptor and decimator.

Save up for Imperial Veterans (It'll probably come out in a couple of months) and maybe pick up a Bomber pack and/or Defender pack. Also you'll probably want a Lambda at some point.

I was waiting for the veterans to buy into the defender and Bomber. Maybe I'll pick up lambda,imp aces and phantom.

You'll probably still want the individual packs of the Defender and/or Bomber (depending if you really like either of those ships) since I'm assuming the pilots that come with the individual ships won't be included in the Veterans pack.

I look forward to the look on a player's face when Dash Rendar loses his Heavy Laser Cannon.

The HLC Outrider is in a bit of a dangerous place with the potential for Homing Missiles Boba becoming a main part of the Scum meta. Considering the main weakness of that missile is it is range 2 only; other ships can counter by driving in close or keeping at R3. Dash and the other Outrider pilots have to stay at range 3 other then they can't fire (R1) or have a very serious risk losing their HLC (and by extension the purpose of the Outrider title). That would be 12 points wiped off a list in a single attack.

Now the Outrider does have a hell of a dial for a big ship, if their was any biggie that could stay out of the Firespray and YV range 2 arc shot it would be him. However I do fear Dash might start becoming more points then he is worth if Boba catches on in a big way.

I think my biggest disappointment is that by the Boba Fett crew card being so good it basically nerfs Boba Fett the pilot. I really like a VI Boba for Scum since he's a 10 pilot skill ship with a pretty handy pilot ability, but now it's going to always be Kath who is used (and she was already pretty much the go-to Scum Firespray pilot)

Top Bottom