• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound now available for preorder [Up: Stretch Goals]

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

http://www.playstarbound.com/store/

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. If I buy the game today, when will I get to play Starbound?
A. Your first chance to play Starbound will be when the beta launches later this year, preordering will ensure you're one of the first to play it.

Q. Which platforms will the game support?
A. Windows, Mac and Linux!

Q. How many tracks are included in the Soundtrack?
A. The preorder includes two soundtracks, the Starbound Soundtrack that contains 24 tracks and the Starbound Experimental Soundtrack that contains an additional 40. We will be adding additional tracks over time!

Q. Does my purchase include a steam key?
A. Yup! When the game appears on steam we'll send a steam key out to everyone that has purchased the game thus far.

Q. How come you're doing this Kickstarter style?
A. We're financing the game out of our own pocket and a couple of our team members have had to take on second jobs. We're hoping the preorder will allow them to work full time on Starbound and get the game to you quicker!

Q. What if you don't get enough preorders, will the game be unfinished?
A. No, the Starbound is going to make it out in 2013 no matter what. But by preordering you help it get here even faster.

Q. Will I be notified when the game is available?
A. Yes! We'll send you an email when the beta is ready to download and when a steam key is available.

Q. How will I get access to the game, game keys and other rewards once they are ready?
A. When you complete your purchase, we will prompt you for an email address which we will use to notify you when your rewards are ready. We are also hard at work on an account system where you will be able to log in and see your purchases and get access to beta downloads and steam keys when they are ready. This account system may also be used for other in-game features. Stay tuned!

UPDATE:
Stretch Goal 1 Achieved - The Novakids

Stretch Goal 2 Achieved - Fossils (A few more details here)
Stretch Goal 3 Achieved - Starter Pets (Few more details here)

Thank You!

2FCq3NS.png

We’ve officially sold $1,000,000 in pre-orders! Words can’t even express how grateful and overwhelmed we are by all the support you’ve shown us– not just over the past couple of weeks, but for the past year or so since Starbound was officially announced. You’re all amazing, and we’re going to continue to work our butts off to make Starbound an awesome game for you.

Definitely going to get this but I do wonder... is there any difference between getting it now and getting it when they finally do get the beta up and running, hopefully in the Steam early access program?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Definitely going to get this but I do wonder... is there any difference between getting it now and getting it when they finally do get the beta up and running, hopefully in the Steam early access program?
Possibly lower price if you get it now versus whenever it hits beta. Lead dev has already said the game will cost more at launch so it wouldn't surprise me if the $15 & 4 pack prices are bumped a little when they hit beta.

Was hyped for this a lot until I saw there is gonna be a terraria update and my hype went down a lot. Still gonna get this one day though!

Possibly lower price if you get it now versus whenever it hits beta. Lead dev has already said the game will cost more at launch so it wouldn't surprise me if the $15 & 4 pack prices are bumped a little when they hit beta.

So the only way to get in at the lowest price is to buy now and then wait indefinitely for a chance to play the game in beta? That... doesn't sound right. If they were even offering an alpha version or anything playable right now I'd get it but 'buy now and wait or pay more later' doesn't sit well with me.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
Ordered the Pixel edition. I put 19 hours into Terraria over the weekend that I bought it. This looks like it will be Terraria only better in every way, so it should easily be worth the $15, and I'm glad to help fund the development.

duckroll

This is pretty stupid. If they could just promise even a month for the beta access, I would definitely do this. But when it's just "2013" I really don't see the point... :/

charsace

If the beta was coming soon I would preorder. I have Edge of Space, Kenshi, and Project Zomboid to tide me over until this releases

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Is there a mac version.

I'm assuming not. Terraria didnt have one.

I already taste the disappointment.

mileS

is there a mac version.

I'm assuming not. Terraria didnt have one.

I already taste the disappointment.

Q. Which platforms will the game support?

A. Windows, Mac and Linux!

*edit* all gewd I didn't notice the faq there first time around.

Lotto

Awww yiss. Wish they could be more specific with when beta starts. I'll definitely pre-order soon though.

Giolon

The retro art style looks kind of cool, but I don't understand what this game is, and I even read the website. Is it an adventure game? A Rogue-like? An action platformer? I have no idea - and that means they need to improve their website. It also means they get no money from me until they can tell me exactly what I'm paying for and why I should care. All of this "Who are you?" Why we're Chucklefish Games! Nonsense kind of irked me too. Am I supposed to have heard of these people?

Retro

The retro art style looks kind of cool, but I don't understand what this game is, and I even read the website. Is it an adventure game? A Rogue-like? An action platformer? I have no idea - and that means they need to improve their website. It also means they get no money from me until they can tell me exactly what I'm paying for and why I should care. All of this "Who are you?" Why we're Chucklefish Games! Nonsense kind of irked me too. Am I supposed to have heard of these people?

Starbound is basically the spiritual successor to Terraria, which itself is similar to Minecraft (but 2-D, and focused more on gameplay than building). It is a procedurally-generated action/platformer with emphasis on crafting, exploration, building and loot. The general idea is that you travel from planet to planet, looking for treasure, cataloging rare monsters and finding a place to call home. Building gets a lot of attention here, as in Terraria and/or Minecraft, but again, it's focused more on being a game rather than a cool building 'thing' like Minecraft was before they updated it accordingly.

Chucklefish is a start up company, founded by the sprite artist from Terraria. They've helped get a couple games to market, most notably Wanderlust.

Top Bottom