• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound now available for preorder [Up: Stretch Goals]

Jira

I hope they bring the preorder to steam..

"We'll have a beta available this year and we'll email you when a download link is available. You'll also be sent a steam key. "

Sounds to me you'll get a Steam key as soon as Beta goes out and then from that point on.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
"We'll have a beta available this year and we'll email you when a download link is available. You'll also be sent a steam key. "

Sounds to me you'll get a Steam key as soon as Beta goes out and then from that point on.
I think he's asking for a Steam Early Access purchase option instead of going through the Humble store+Steam key.

Exuro

I think he's asking for a Steam Early Access option.
Well all the money goes to the devs and you get a Steam key anyways, so unless it's a convenience issue there isn't a difference.

Wish they had more info on when the beta is. I want to preorder but at the same time if the beta isn't until like September or something I won't bother until later.

Jira

I think based on how much money they get will determine when they will know when Beta/release is. I'd really just like to know what quarter at this point, though what month would be awesome.

$121,000 in six hours is nothing to sneeze at. Just wait until word gets out about the game, they're going to make a couple million around launch with ease. Terraria was one thing, this is Terraria on steroids. I do wish Redigit was heading the programming though, that man is an absolute beast. He created Terraria without much or any game programming knowledge prior in FOUR MONTHS.

I can start a 4-pack (Pixel tier, $11.25 a copy). PM if interested and add your name to the list.

1. Grimm Fandango
2. MThanded
3. Discotheque
4. DeathGlobe

edit: updated and finished

Paskil

This looks and sounds lovely and far too ambitious to not get in right at the start. Had to go in for a pixel.

Nohar

Pre-ordered the Pixel Tier. That's quite nice of them to offer the soundtrack, I really love that :D

Well, let's hope that the game will be out before winter. Though, at least we can be sure that it won't be rushed, like Terraria.

R1CHO

Starbound is basically the spiritual successor to Terraria, which itself is similar to Minecraft (but 2-D, and focused more on gameplay than building). It is a procedurally-generated action/platformer with emphasis on crafting, exploration, building and loot. The general idea is that you travel from planet to planet, looking for treasure, cataloging rare monsters and finding a place to call home. Building gets a lot of attention here, as in Terraria and/or Minecraft, but again, it's focused more on being a game rather than a cool building 'thing' like Minecraft was before they updated it accordingly.

Chucklefish is a start up company, founded by the sprite artist from Terraria. They've helped get a couple games to market, most notably Wanderlust.

What is your opinon as Terraria Master of the universe on this preorder kickstartesque thing?

Are you in?

Personally i would buy it right now if we would get the beta already (or at least a solid date), as it's not the case, i don't see the appeal at the moment. But, i think is a good promotion.

Giolon

Starbound is basically the spiritual successor to Terraria, which itself is similar to Minecraft (but 2-D, and focused more on gameplay than building). It is a procedurally-generated action/platformer with emphasis on crafting, exploration, building and loot. The general idea is that you travel from planet to planet, looking for treasure, cataloging rare monsters and finding a place to call home. Building gets a lot of attention here, as in Terraria and/or Minecraft, but again, it's focused more on being a game rather than a cool building 'thing' like Minecraft was before they updated it accordingly.

Chucklefish is a start up company, founded by the sprite artist from Terraria. They've helped get a couple games to market, most notably Wanderlust.

Ok, see, the fact that you could tell me this in like three sentences, and I couldn't get jack shit from their website, means they've failed horribly with it.

This all sounds fairly neat.

samjaza

I would be getting it now, but apparently the website is unreachable at the moment,
I guess i'l wait til its back up.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
What is your opinon as Terraria Master of the universe on this preorder kickstartesque thing?

Are you in?

Personally i would buy it right now if we would get the beta already (or at least a solid date), as it's not the case, i don't see the appeal at the moment. But, i think is a good promotion.

He's in.

There was some odd issue when he purchased it last night, and he actually forced himself to stay up past his bedtime and waited for it to resolve, which it did.

That's how much obssessed addicted sexually excited enthusiasm he has for this game. His OCD is so great, he can't stop talking about what the hell he's gonna build in Starbound. Terraria is holding this man back. If he even remotely liked Minecraft, he would have made the entire US East Coast by now.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I'll buy when beta starts.

Yeah, this month is expensive enough as it is (Soul Hackers, Dark Arisen, Deadly Premonition), not looking to spend money on something I can't play yet.

Glad to see they raised a shitload of money overnight though

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I'm in - would love a beta date but I am getting it anyway, so might as well sign up.

Edit: Wow @ soundtrack

Xater

This is pretty stupid. If they could just promise even a month for the beta access, I would definitely do this. But when it's just "2013" I really don't see the point... :/

I am definitely with you there. It looks cool, but at this point I'll just wait for the release.

Retro

Are you in?

I bought a Pixel edition. Money is tight and I can't justify spending more just to have an NPC named Retro and my name in the credits. As neat as that might be, It's just not worth it.

Glad to see they're up to $217072, and somebody even bought the $2000 option. If I had disposable income, I'd spring for something like that.

nan0

I'll wait for a beta release date, and hope they don't drop it after half a year like they did with Terraria.

Retro

I'll wait for a beta release date, and hope they don't drop it after half a year like they did with Terraria.

To be fair, Terraria was one guy (Redigit) who made one game previously (a Mario clone) and stopped development because his son was being born.

He's also working on it again, a patch should be out at the end of May or early June.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I am definitely with you there. It looks cool, but at this point I'll just wait for the release.

When we were all basically waiting to throw money at them I see no difference. Beta access is worth it alone.

Unless you have reservations about this which I see no reason to worry.

Retro

The Soundtrack is kind of butchered as far as track names go, it's loaded with stuff like "Constellation 1", but there's actually like 5 of them with the same name. Likewise, there's two tracks with the file name "Arctic Battle 2", but one of them has the track name "Arctic Battle 1"... Would have liked them to... I dunno... organize them a little.

They also said there are 24 tracks in the soundtrack, but there's 24 ITEMS; two covers and 22 tracks. Hmm.

Enco

The Soundtrack is kind of butchered as far as track names go, it's loaded with stuff like "Constellation 1", but there's actually like 5 of them with the same name. Likewise, there's two tracks with the file name "Arctic Battle 2", but one of them has the track name "Arctic Battle 1"... Would have liked them to... I dunno... organize them a little.

They also said there are 24 tracks in the soundtrack, but there's 24 ITEMS; two covers and 22 tracks. Hmm.
Pretty badly done by the sounds of it.

Although I wouldn't order for the music.

Retro

Pretty badly done by the sounds of it.

Although I wouldn't order for the music.

Um... literally no one is doing that, since the soundtrack comes with every tier of pre-order.

Seems like my MP3 player thinks "Forest Battle 2" and "Forest Battle 3" are the same song. Interesting....

Two tracks named "Crystal Battle", but one is named "Output 2".

duckroll

I personally see 0 reason to contribute to this "Kickstarter" right now.

- No beta date or target date at all.
- They're already over $200k, so they have lots of money to pay their small development team for the next few months.

When they announce when we can expect the beta, I'll pay them. :p

Enco

Um... literally no one is doing that, since the soundtrack comes with every tier of pre-order.

Seems like my MP3 player thinks "Forest Battle 2" and "Forest Battle 3" are the same song. Interesting....

Two tracks named "Crystal Battle", but one is named "Output 2".
I know that it comes with every tier. I meant that if I decided to pre order at all I wouldn't really be too bothered with the soundtrack.

Top Bottom