• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound now available for preorder [Up: Stretch Goals]

Retro

SPzdgzl.jpg

Some nice looking designs there, especially like the bird people ship and the apes one. The only one I'm not really feeling is the tribal plant races one which seems a little half thought out to me.

Retro

Some nice looking designs there, especially like the bird people ship and the apes one. The only one I'm not really feeling is the tribal plant races one which seems a little half thought out to me.

According to the "meet the race" article on them, the Florians are a primitive, cannibalistic race in more ways than one. They're only capable of space travel because they adapt outside technology with frightening efficiency. The way they were described, they're basically a menace that could sweep the galaxy if they got their hands on enough technology.

So I thought their design, clearly an Apex ship that's been taken over by planty bits seemed right, considering they could never have a ship style that's uniquely their own.

According to the "meet the race" article on them, the Florians are a primitive, cannibalistic race in more ways than one. They're only capable of space travel because they adapt outside technology with frightening efficiency. The way they were described, they're basically a menace that could sweep the galaxy if they got their hands on enough technology.

So I thought their design, clearly an Apex ship that's been taken over by planty bits seemed right, considering they could never have a ship style that's uniquely their own.

That's not really my issue with the design, in fact the 'infested spaceship' concept works very well for them for the reasons you posted. The issue I think is that it doesn't really tell that narrative of theft and infestation in its current incarnation. There is a lack of signs of distress on the Apex part of the craft (battle damage,rust, hasty repairs etc) and the vines (despite having spikes on them) lack menace and look more like they have been lovingly wrapped around the craft then a violent take over. The end result looks more to me like a festival float then a captured ship which I think is a little at odds with the aggressive and slightly sinister nature of the Florians.

Retro

That's not really my issue with the design, in fact the 'infested spaceship' concept works very well for them for the reasons you posted. The issue I think is that it doesn't really tell that narrative of theft and infestation in its current incarnation. There is a lack of signs of distress on the Apex part of the craft (battle damage,rust, hasty repairs etc) and the vines (despite having spikes on them) lack menace and look more like they have been lovingly wrapped around the craft then a violent take over. The end result looks more to me like a festival float then a captured ship which I think is a little at odds with the aggressive and slightly sinister nature of the Florians.

That's a pretty fair statement, honestly; it should be a little more scuffed up, since the implication is that they salvage technology. It's far too clean and 'complete' for that to have happened, especially since I don't think of the Florians as a race that values aesthetics. Maybe they'll take another crack at it before Beta, but if not it's certainly something we can give feedback on during testing.

Also, I can't unsee it as a festival float now. Damn you
JUWnj.gif

One Foul Note summed up my thoughts on the Florian ship perfectly, too. But given this team's history of reworking stuff over and over, there's still room for change.

I'm not too fond of the Apex ship either, actually. It lacks personality. In fact, it and the human ship look interchangeable, but I guess I'm used to human stuff in games to look "generic" (or more accurately, I guess, "normal", which makes sense for obvious reasons).

Avian, Hyotl and Glitch are the best of the bunch, for sure.

BasilZero

Cant wait! Though I still need to play a bit more of Terraria after their new update xD.

Might dig into this during the holidays~

ys45

I just hope it's coming on the 4 because I can already see the shitstorm coming at them if it's not released by December 4 .

Have to be careful when talking about release date .

Shinjica

I just hope it's coming on the 4 because I can already see the shitstorm coming at them if it's not released by December 4 .

Have to be careful when talking about release date .

In his twitter account he say "around 4 December" so he has his back covered

Nohar

Meh. I'll probably be playing Bravely Default around that time. We are not talking about the game's release here: it's just the beta right now (beta which will probably be an alpha stricto sensu), and said beta will have 3 different phases.

So, yeah, I'm not excited at all. I'm interested to play a complete game, not an unfinished one. I'm probably not going to take part in this beta - or at least not until the last phase. Honestly, I've lost interest, though I don't doubt that Starbound can and probably will be a good game.

Meh. I'll probably be playing Bravely Default around that time. We are not talking about the game's release here: it's just the beta right now (beta which will probably be an alpha stricto sensu), and said beta will have 3 different phases.

So, yeah, I'm not excited at all. I'm interested to play a complete game, not an unfinished one. I'm probably not going to take part in this beta - or at least not until the last phase. Honestly, I've lost interest, though I don't doubt that Starbound can and probably will be a good game.

image.php

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
In his twitter account he say "around 4 December" so he has his back covered

He also mentioned if all goes well with Steam, so there's a scapegoat clause.

Anyway, like I said earlier, I'll be participating in the beta, so looking forward to it.

Retro

The OT will go up a week before launch, rather than a week before beta. I want to spend some time in the beta doing some fact-gathering and such to make the OT more than just copypasta from their site.

Keep using this thread or would a beta thread be merited?

The OT will go up a week before launch, rather than a week before beta. I want to spend some time in the beta doing some fact-gathering and such to make the OT more than just copypasta from their site.

Definitely a beta thread needed IMO.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

I agree. We moved to a new thread for preorder, and that was so long ago. It seems right to move to another for a beta thread.

Well, whoever starts up the thread, needs to make sure and point out, its a BETA, and that shit will obviously be broken and unbalanced, and that the final game may not even remotely resemble what we get in the beta.

Last thing I want to see are complaints every damn page about how much the game sucks and its broken and its unbalanced. At least save those complaints for when the actual game comes out.

And finally... WHEE STARBOUND (BETA) MAYBE NEXT WEEK

Kouriozan

Good idea, and yes, we'll need a beta thread :)

Retro

I agree. We moved to a new thread for preorder, and that was so long ago. It seems right to move to another for a beta thread.
Good idea, and yes, we'll need a beta thread :)

I kind of want a Beta thread before the "real" OT just because I have a hundred questions about the game that just can't be answered without playing it. I'll likely distill those down to some basic gameplay fundamentals (races, beginner's tips, how multiplayer works, etc.) and go from there.

Since this is my first OT for a brand new game (my previous OTs were for existing games) I'm going to try to avoid too many spoilers or giving too much away. People can post whatever they want in the thread itself, but I feel like the OT should give you the basics and send you on your way to discover things for yourself.

Last thing I want to see are complaints every damn page about how much the game sucks and its broken and its unbalanced. At least save those complaints for when the actual game comes out.

Yep. Should be in highlight tags at the top of the post.

Oh god that end of the year.

Autumn and Winter are always amazing for gamers.. Even when it's sort of an off year, there's usually something good.

elyetis

I don't know what this is, but the name sounds interesting and I just saw the phrase "side scrolling rogue like", but everything else was in Kanji or something so not sure if excite?
I don't know much more about it than the trailer ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dabsEn4mtnE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUeC3zOK9Kkm9csHz8wFSOQw ) and some post from someone in gaf ( don't remember the name ), seems like some mix between one minute hero, old school rpg and demon souls online. Which in my book make it amazing. ^_^

VandalD

so is it really coming out? felt like i've been waiting for 6 months.
Beta is really coming out. Also, there's this information.
Tiy said:
The beta contains tiers 1 - 3 for the most part, then tier X, which contains the rest of the armors/craftables/weapons, but all smooshed together in one unbalanced tier for messing around in.

The game isn't as complete as I'd like it to be for beta, but we're setting up a system where we can literally update it daily. So it should be a wild ride regardless.

Also, creations you share during beta may have a chance to make it into the final game as places other players can find.
---
Nah not yet (on steam workshop). I mean things you build in game. If screenshots are shared (and permission is given) we can make those structures appear procedurally on planets.

This is the first I'd heard about Starbound. Targeting Mid-2012. That's adorable. Edit: Hey, you posted in that thread. How about those six months?

Retro

Could be amazing given what some people are able to create.

That right there is the only reason I'll be in the Beta from day one, even though I had initially wanted to sit out Tier 1 because it's going to be buggy as hell. But if I get to dig in and build stuff that could be in the final game? Hell yes.

Where is the OT?!?! Also if I didn't order from their site can I still buy on Steam when it hits or is it only early access that gets it? I have like $43 steam store credit I'd like to use.

VandalD

Where is the OT?!?! Also if I didn't order from their site can I still buy on Steam when it hits or is it only early access that gets it? I have like $43 steam store credit I'd like to use.
I'm assuming the OT will be up the day that the beta is released. Besides, the beta release could still be pushed back. Better to just wait until it's out for sure.

The Steam page will be early access. Tiy actually showed it off. So I'm assuming you'll be able to pay on Steam for it directly. I'd further assume that the price will remain the same, but I don't think they've said that for sure, if that matters to you.

Retro

Does anyone want to volunteer to create the Beta OT? I dunno why I feel like I shouldn't do it, I guess I just don't want to be seen as monopolizing things. If people want me to do it, I can certainly put one together. I have some resources for the Launch OT I can adapt, and it's not like the usual info-dump is required here.

Either way, I dunno if a thread should be made for it until the Beta is 100% confirmed. We're within the one-week window right now, IF it launches on the 4th.

Top Bottom