• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT2| The Future Is Near

Tekniqs

yooo..that Dream vs Maru mirror? what a great game.
with that said...i hate mech lol. Shit is such a boring style (IMO of course). I think Maru outplayed Dream and yet...

edit: seems like the meta is moving towards bio being only viable against Toss...hopefully that isn't the case. TvZ used to be my favorite match up to watch...now it's pretty damn boring :/

yooo..that Dream vs Maru mirror? what a great game.
with that said...i hate mech lol. Shit is such a boring style (IMO of course). I think Maru outplayed Dream and yet...

edit: seems like the meta is moving towards bio being only viable against Toss...hopefully that isn't the case. TvZ used to be my favorite match up to watch...now it's pretty damn boring :/

It's way too easy for Mech to turtle against Zerg right now. Hopefully the new Viper ability makes Brood Lords more viable against it. What's the range on the ability anyways?

Syf

Banned
It's way too easy for Mech to turtle against Zerg right now. Hopefully the new Viper ability makes Brood Lords more viable against it. What's the range on the ability anyways?
Not sure about the range but I agree, the state of mech vZ right now isn't fun to play or watch. Game still needs some tweaks heading into LotV.

Not sure about the range but I agree, the state of mech vZ right now isn't fun to play or watch. Game still needs some tweaks heading into LotV.

It'll be interesting seeing how much Ravagers effect the midgame. They're very effective against bio and you can't kite them like Roaches because of their range.

Syf

Banned
It'll be interesting seeing how much Ravagers effect the midgame. They're very effective against bio and you can't kite them like Roaches because of their range.
I'm just waiting for that first premier LotV tournament, where the players are really playing for results. Dreamhack is the first I think. That'll be telling.

I'm just waiting for that first premier LotV tournament, where the players are really playing for results. Dreamhack is the first I think. That'll be telling.

Yeah.

Viper's new ability seems to have around 8 range, which is pretty meh for how much energy it costs (125). One other thing I noticed awhile ago is the insane damage of Liberator's anti-ground mode. It's fine to be able to one shot drones with it, but being able to 2 shot Queens with 0 upgrades is stupid, especially with how fast they fire.

Tenebrous

Guys, what's the best way to follow SC2 as an eSport properly nowadays? I used to watch WC3 & WoW back in the day, but all I do now really is watch Dota 2's TI and SC2 every year at Blizzcon... Would love to watch more, and learn more about the game as I go along.

Cheers.

Syf

Banned
Guys, what's the best way to follow SC2 as an eSport properly nowadays? I used to watch WC3 & WoW back in the day, but all I do now really is watch Dota 2's TI and SC2 every year at Blizzcon... Would love to watch more, and learn more about the game as I go along.

Cheers.
All the major leagues have wrapped up for the year unfortunately. The primary leagues are WCS, GSL, Starleague and Proleague. The last three are all in Korea, and Proleague is a team league while the others are 1v1. Other than those it's whatever outside events are held like Dreamhacks and ESL tournaments, and then all the minor events scattered about the year.

I use http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Main_Page to keep track of the events. The two big ones remaining for this year are the global finals at BlizzCon and Dreamhack Winter, both in November.

Tenebrous

All the major leagues have wrapped up for the year unfortunately. The primary leagues are WCS, GSL, Starleague and Proleague. The last three are all in Korea, and Proleague is a team league while the others are 1v1. Other than those it's whatever outside events are held like Dreamhacks and ESL tournaments, and then all the minor events scattered about the year.

I use http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Main_Page to keep track of the events. The two big ones remaining for this year are the global finals at BlizzCon and Dreamhack Winter, both in November.

Fantastically informative - Thanks very much.

Will try and catch some ProLeague matches/replays as I've never watched team SC2 before.

Syf

Banned
Fantastically informative - Thanks very much.

Will try and catch some ProLeague matches/replays as I've never watched team SC2 before.
Well I mean that's still 1v1 games, just done in a team series format lol. But it is worth watching, the prep usually leads to some great play. The final was this weekend.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Cheers.
I'm in the same boat.
Probably paying attention to TL's calendar is best bet.

Wedge7

Just finished up watching both GSL and Proleague finals. Man, it feels weird again not having any meaningful Starcraft to watch until Blizzcon. Been so used to always throwing a few matches on while I workout or do shit in the background, gonna feel odd not having that. I've honestly been on it the whole time for the past 5 years since 2010, and I dont really see myself stopping any time soon. I've gone through phases where I hated the meta or was weary of certain matchups or eras, but still kept up, so its exciting to see that at the very least, the Korean scene is looking extremely healthy heading into 2016, something alot of the nay sayers probably wouldn't have believed in 2013 and 2014. I mean, its obviously not ever going back to the glory days of 2010 and 2011, but I'm perfectly content at where it is right now, at least in terms of view ability and entertainment, so I'm pretty happy overall.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SC2 LotV CE pre-ordered!

When will be the Tiebreaker between Hyun and Fantasy?

11/1 the same day as the Ro16 most likely. That's how it happened 2 (i think) years ago.

Late reply but... If you didn't know yet, it was actually on October 6th. VODs are here: http://afreeca.tv/36840697/v/12606

Cheers.

You can also keep an eye on this thread over at Team Liquid: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-tournaments/119948-small-sc2-vod-thread

The OP always has a list of ongoing and recently finished tourneys/leagues, with links to spoiler-free VODs.

For those who can't wait until Blizzcon for more Starcraft action, there's the round of 8 of Kung Fu Cup season 2 this week, starting on October 20th at 14:00 CEST.

It's no Blizzcon, but not a bad bracket. Except, you know, no Terrans... :\

0ZIM2Ux.png

Life vs Parting is always entertaining. I don't think Life has faced Zest since Blizzcon last year and they're on the same team now so if that happens that'll be great too. Stats vs soO could be good. Trap has always kind of been in that 3rd tier like Curious so I wouldn't rule him out either.

SamuraiX-

Wtf happened to the integrity of this game? Seems like every damn few months there's a new scandal involving matchfixing.

Or maybe organizations like KeSPA have just become more diligent in cracking down on it.

Either way, it's disheartening to see. I used to be a pretty big fan of YoDa and to see even an OG like Gerrard resort to this after so much time with the game is incredibly disappointing.

Wolf saying we "do not want to know who is on the list"

https://twitter.com/proxywolf/status/655921259390238720

;-;

This could get REALLY interesting.

Rewatched some of Yoda's most recent Proleague games. At the start of his game on August 25th against CJ herO, Wolf mentions that Gerrard just left Prime so the matchfixing probably happened before then. He made a ton of awful mistakes but herO didn't play that well either. Not sure I would call that a throw. In his Proleague game against Zest, he actually played pretty well in most of it. Did a nice 2 base build that caught Zest offguard and briefly got ahead. He also killed at least 3 Observers with scans. The only issue with his harass is he forgot to transform his 3rd into an Orbital, but he could have been focused on his attack. Game ended when he tried an SCV pull but took a terrible angle, but against someone much better than him, I don't see much of a problem.

Syf

Banned
I am very curious who those other progamers are who aren't being mentioned. But I guess we'll find that out at a later date, if at all.

SamuraiX-

TL's main article on the matter has info claiming that there are 5 confirmed SPL matches between January and June that involved match fixing.

Wedge7

Ah man, not good.

I'm gonna be glued to that TL thread for the juicy gossip. I cant help it, I love the scandals.

Holyyyy Shiiiiitttttttt........

Was the MK MVP one match vs that guy a throw?...... I wanna know and don't wanna know at the same time.

That Flash's win in that round happened to come vs a guy who purposely threw the game. I mean, its not like he knew or anything, just kinda funny looking back.

Flash played Boongboong that series, not Yoda. Yoda wouldn't have even played that series unless Flash won, and Prime still won the series anyways. So did they both throw?

Boongboong has also been indicted / banned.

I don't understand this match fixing business. Isn't it supposed to be that a favored player loses on purpose, so that people who know about it make money by getting good odds on bets on the less-favored player?

Well... Boongboong is terrible* (unless we're claiming he loses every single game on purpose?). It doesn't take a genius or someone with inside info to figure out that he would lose. Even during his mega-slump, I bet Flash was favored in that match. Likewise Yoda apparently threw a match against Life (in GSL season 1 that he ended up winning, even). Pretty sure Life didn't need your help to win, dude. So... why bother match fixing a game when it's already nearly a sure thing?

...Or is that the point? So that the win doesn't seem suspicious, but insiders can still make money if they bet a ton despite the low odds? Seems weird, since you would already need to have a lot of money to make just a little bit more.

* By top Korean standards. I'm sure he can mop the floor with 99% of players.

I don't understand this match fixing business. Isn't it supposed to be that a favored player loses on purpose, so that people who know about it make money by getting good odds on bets on the less-favored player?

Well... Boongboong is terrible* (unless we're claiming he loses every single game on purpose?). It doesn't take a genius or someone with inside info to figure out that he would lose. Even during his mega-slump, I bet Flash was favored in that match. Likewise Yoda apparently threw a match against Life (in GSL season 1 that he ended up winning, even). Pretty sure Life didn't need your help to win, dude. So... why bother match fixing a game when it's already nearly a sure thing?

...Or is that the point? So that the win doesn't seem suspicious, but insiders can still make money if they bet a ton despite the low odds? Seems weird, since you would already need to have a lot of money to make just a little bit more.

Anyone above a certain skill cap can beat anyone in StarCraft 2 if everything goes right for them. Tangtang won a best of 3 against Zest earlier this year. Nothing is guaranteed. The people willing to throw games are generally ones with their careers in danger and desperate for money. Bboongbboong was going to fall into nothing when Prime collapses. YoDa is a bit more confusing since he actually did well in the first GSL this year but faded into obscurity after. YoDa was probably aware of what he was going to do before he joined Prime. Can't imagine he didn't have better offers when coming over from WCS EU.

Different types of bets with the outcome not decided by winning but maybe score? Like losing 2-1 or something.

SamuraiX-

Life's ZvP is looking real strong. He's stomped through Stats, PartinG and Zest in the Kung Fu Cup. This kid, man. He might do it again. INnoVation or ByuL might be his only real challenge at BlizzCon.

Ro16 next weekend!! So hyped!

TL putting a little fictional spice into their Road to BlizzCon series this year:

Backstory

Once upon a time, sOs ruled Metzennala after triumphing over the tyrant Jaedong. Sadly, his reign did not last long as he lacked the authority to unify the clans. Civil war broke out and a rebellion ensued. All the continent's greatest generals tried to sieze the throne, but it was KT Rolster that prevailed. Their mighty champion Zest paved the way for the prodigy Life, but the chiseled Protoss fell in battle and entered an eternal state of rest. When all was said and done, Life had dethroned the incumbent king and ruled over the land.

Life's power was uncontested, as his kingdom's seat was the capital, Glostalea. In addition, he oversaw the Council of Zerg. However, there was still turmoil in Metzennala. While herO headed the Protoss Council, his position was heavily contested. INnoVation's collapse against Taeja had ushered in the era of Maru. Soon, PartinG became the first man to challenge Life's regime, but he was defeated and sent into exile for treason—where he met his fellow exile Rain, who had grown tired of life in his clan. The exiled Protoss had proven that the sovereign was not invincible, and the warring clans grew anxious waiting for their opportunity.

Metzennala was at peace, but as history suggested, the world would once again spiral into chaos.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/497192-road-to-blizzcon-2015-a-preface

Top Bottom