• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void Launch Trailer | Legacy

TheTrain

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UyMAPr-G44

Legacy of the Void is the highly anticipated third game in the acclaimed StarCraft II real-time strategy series. In this launch trailer, we examine how far our heroes have come and the struggles they have endured . . . only to find themselves confronting an evil that threatens to engulf the entire galaxy. Now, all three factions must unite to overcome Amon’s power—or face complete extinction.

Also revealed Nova Covert Ops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NImK4R5wEfg

My life...for Aiur.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Future of SC2" thanks to teamliquid:

Tim Morton:

- They will keep supporting StarCraft II, more content like Nova Covert Ops. Some content will be free, some will cost money.
- After Nova Covert Ops, they will have micro transactions: Unit Skins and Voice Packs! Among the first: Abathur Voice Pack!
- They don't have any skins right now as they are too busy with LotV

Arcade:
- More features are coming to arcade, more contests.
- Paid content in Arcade, no timeline on this. Blizzard will work with specific content creators at first(KeksX: Starcraft Universe anyone?)

Jason Huck: Lead Game Designer on Nova Covert Ops

- 9 Mission story arcs, 3 mission packs
- Nova is playable in the missions. Units will have differnet skins and skills; hovering tanks, auto healing marines etc
- Nova has a special UI for Equipment, diferent weapons, googles etc.
- Lots of nukes

Valarie: Story Writing
- Story will progress, epilogue pushes story a few years down the road
- Politics about Valerian. Price of power: Freedom of the press backfires on him
- Defenders of man(?), Nova woke up in custody of Valerian's enemies and doesn't know what is going on

David Kim:
- No features are being implemented soon; Feedback is needed!
- Ladder revamp:
- > More details coming at multiplayer panel
- > Hints: Meaningful ranks on ladder, Accuracy/Transparency on ladder; 2v2 tournaments along with Archon Tournaments
- > Seperate Race MMR in unranked -> hard to do in ranked, makes ranked less accurate
- Balance Patches as needed
- Bigger changes are possible, however they need more/better community feedback
- Kim wants to keep the game fresh with more changes

Matt Morris: Lead Campaign Designer
- Co-Op Missions(Formerly Allied Commanders)
- What is it?: Co-Op missions with friend against the computer
- Six different commanders: Two for each race
- Seventh commander: (not enough info: "Phase smith karax works in solar thing ( missed it)")
- > Has very good special ability; Karax has super chronoboost, boosts multiple buildings and useable on allied buldings
- > "Had epic special that is a kill beam that comes down from a mother ship."

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Trailer surprised the shit out of me. The human dialogue was shit but as soon as Artanis spoke, shit got real. And this comes from someone who despises Protoss.

Also... doesn't look good for Zeratul :(

5nU67sw.jpg

I can't believe I'm getting hyped for this, despite telling me not to be it

Also, Rohana looks fantastic:

lIqLG1N.jpg

ScOULaris

Man, the dialog consists of nearly 100% cliches. The main difference between the quality of SC1 and SC2's stories lies in the quality of the writing/voice acting. It's just much more natural and well-written in Brood War.

FluxWaveZ

Dialog is appropriately bad for the SC2 trilogy. At least it makes sense for the Protoss here, because they were always up their own ass.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Man, the dialog consists of nearly 100% cliches. The main difference between the quality of SC1 and SC2's stories lies in the quality of the writing/voice acting. It's just much more natural and well-written in Brood War.

SC1:
Once again I stand atop the broken bodies of my enemies... Victorious but not unscarred. The Earth-borne Directorate has been destroyed. And the Overmind lies dead and trampled beneath the ashes of Char. As for my unlikely allies, I think that I shall allow them a reprieve. For in time I will seek to test their resolve, and their strengths. They will all be mine in the end, for I am the Queen of Blades. None shall ever dispute my rule again.

SC2:
Do you think death is the worst thing that can happen to you here? Infestation is what's coming for you. Soon all will serve the swarm!

Trailer surprised the shit out of me. The human dialogue was shit but as soon as Artanis spoke, shit got real. And this comes from someone who despises Protoss.

Also... doesn't look good for Zeratul :(

5nU67sw.jpg

I can't believe I'm getting hyped for this, despite telling me not to be it

Also, Rohana looks fantastic:

lIqLG1N.jpg

Looks like Zeratul give him his blade a la Zero to Megaman to he could be the new tassadar.

Moonlight

Banned
I remain unbelievably disappointed by the shit they did to Kerrigan's character and this trailer just reminded me of it. It looked good, though, and Artanis is cool.

My expectations are rock bottom story-wise, but I'm in for the spectacle, missions, and the closing chapter on all my years of digging into StarCraft's lore. Just wish it was on a more satisfactory note.

Moff

are those nova missions paid dlc?
seems weird to make such a fuss about 3 rts missions. we already had some of those in WOL.

anway, I am sure the game will great the same way WOL and HOTS were fantastic, great mission design and gameplay.
I am really interested in the new multiplayer stuff as well.

Vlitra

Banned
Finally! This series not only got me into RTS's, it's what got me into PC gaming as a whole. Can't wait to play this final chapter.

Woorloog

Banned

I love how Blizzard has made the Dark Templar and Khalai protoss look different, and not just by having them to wear different, uh, clothes (armor?). The former are slightly smaller, with thinner legs.
For such an advanced race, the protoss do have creepy claws though.

The Blizzard cinematics are always let down by the horrible dialogue.
It didnt used to be this way sadly, i remember watching the diablo 2 cinematics over and over because the dialog was so good, its a shame theyve lost the ability to write good stories, because their games are still so good

Moff

up until wow, blizzard cinematics didn't just look the best, they were also well written and had real drama in them.
since wow they are just fluff, I mean WOTLK was cool and all, and the HOTS intro as well, but it was just good looking fluff.

the brood war outro or the ending of the wc3 human campaign, those were masterpieces. fantastic writing. some of the best cutscenes in the medium.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The writing quality hasn't changed, you're all just 17 years older. Shit that sounded cool and badass when you were 14 doesn't sound so hot when you're 30.

Yoshichan

The writing quality hasn't changed, you're all just 17 years older. Shit that sounded cool and badass when you were 14 doesn't sound so hot when you're 30.

so when I replay brood war and I notice the fantastic dialogue, it has nothing to do with the quality of the writing but I actually become 13 years old again?

FluxWaveZ

I played StarCraft's campaign for the first time immediately before I played StarCraft II. One is nothing less than oblivious if they can't tell the difference.

KarmaCow

Not ground breaking or anything but Kerrigan's rise as Queen Bitch of the Universe is still pretty good.

TheTrain

"The Future of SC2" panel info, thanks to teamliquid:

Tim Morton:

- They will keep supporting StarCraft II, more content like Nova Covert Ops. Some content will be free, some will cost money.
- After Nova Covert Ops, they will have micro transactions: Unit Skins and Voice Packs! Among the first: Abathur Voice Pack!
- They don't have any skins right now as they are too busy with LotV

Arcade:
- More features are coming to arcade, more contests.
- Paid content in Arcade, no timeline on this. Blizzard will work with specific content creators at first(KeksX: Starcraft Universe anyone?)

Jason Huck: Lead Game Designer on Nova Covert Ops

- 9 Mission story arcs, 3 mission packs
- Nova is playable in the missions. Units will have differnet skins and skills; hovering tanks, auto healing marines etc
- Nova has a special UI for Equipment, diferent weapons, googles etc.
- Lots of nukes

Valarie: Story Writing
- Story will progress, epilogue pushes story a few years down the road
- Politics about Valerian. Price of power: Freedom of the press backfires on him
- Defenders of man(?), Nova woke up in custody of Valerian's enemies and doesn't know what is going on

David Kim:
- No features are being implemented soon; Feedback is needed!
- Ladder revamp:
- > More details coming at multiplayer panel
- > Hints: Meaningful ranks on ladder, Accuracy/Transparency on ladder; 2v2 tournaments along with Archon Tournaments
- > Seperate Race MMR in unranked -> hard to do in ranked, makes ranked less accurate
- Balance Patches as needed
- Bigger changes are possible, however they need more/better community feedback
- Kim wants to keep the game fresh with more changes

Matt Morris: Lead Campaign Designer
- Co-Op Missions(Formerly Allied Commanders)
- What is it?: Co-Op missions with friend against the computer
- Six different commanders: Two for each race
- Seventh commander: (not enough info: "Phase smith karax works in solar thing ( missed it)")
- > Has very good special ability; Karax has super chronoboost, boosts multiple buildings and useable on allied buldings
- > "Had epic special that is a kill beam that comes down from a mother ship."

Moonlight

Banned
No, the writing quality definitely went down the shitter. Kerrigan had a legitimately pretty good character arc that SC2 reduced to being a sad girl with a crush trapped inside a generic supervillain. Mengsk had a legitimate degree of charisma, and WoL reduced him to a total clown humiliated on his own propaganda channel. Raynor lost all credibility as a character. Shades of grey that existed inside SC were polarized for the sake of constructing a standard Blizzard "everyone teams up and fights the unambiguous bad guy" with no real twist.

You don't even need to like SC1 or WC3 or whatever else to see that somewhere along the line Blizzard just went off the cliff.

And I don't know anyone who could justify any of the dialogue or story beats in D3 as being remotely defensible, especially in comparison to its' predecessor.

boiled goose

good with gravy

BS. SC1 is interesting and solid. Lots of interesting twists and moral questions about greater good etc.

SC2 is much cheesier and tropey. The hybrid story is much, much less interesting TBH.

Moonlight

Banned
BS. SC1 is interesting and solid. Lots of interesting twists and moral questions about greater good etc.

SC2 is much cheesier and tropey. The hybrid story is much, much less interesting TBH.
The setup with the bonus mission was cool, IMO. The tone of it all was pretty creepy and strange, and it really fucked with your idea of who Duran really was.

In SC2, he's some asshole who totally evades attention through the brilliant method of spelling his name backwards.

Top Bottom