• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Kandinsky

I have two fully upgraded barns and two fully upgraded coops. Is it better to just sell your animals or ignore them and keep them? I think I overdid it and it's taking too much of my time tending to them and getting their items.

Had the same problem and just ended up selling the cows and goats, my barns have just pigs and sheeps now (easier to maintain imo). I'm thinking about selling the ducks now too and stick to chickens.

Sell everything that isn't a pig and buy pigs. Collect their truffles in the morning and make truffle oil and make an easy 1000g a pop.

Had the same problem and just ended up selling the cows and goats, my barns have just pigs and sheeps now (easier to maintain imo). I'm thinking about selling the ducks now too and stick to chickens.
Thanks guys. It really is too much. I had every variety of animal. I was making mayo and cheese throughout the day, milking cows and goats, petting everything. Just sold em and buying pigs now. Keeping some chickens and ducks.

I just got a cutscene with Shane
where he wants to kill himself by jumping off the cliff, and you end up taking him to the hospital.
Holy fucking shit. This is the second cutscene of his I've seen and it's fucking crazy. Fuck.

I might do this too. Especially now that I have a shed that is currently pumping out pale ale by the truck load.

I'm going to miss those animals though. Those cows/goats/and chickens got me through that first winter big time. It was the first season where I had consistent cash flow.

Going full pig means zero profit in winter so I don't recommend that. Like you said, sheep are good because you can tell at a glance they are ready and cloth is worth almost double cheese

Ventara

Growing grass is such a pain. Easily one of the worst parts of the game. Why couldn't we farm for hay like normal? Instead, we have to hope it spreads and then cut it down at a CHANCE to get the hay.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Growing grass is such a pain. Easily one of the worst parts of the game. Why couldn't we farm for hay like normal? Instead, we have to hope it spreads and then cut it down at a CHANCE to get the hay.
Did you clean up all your grass before knowing ? 😂

TheKeyPit

Banned
I wish he would have gone the Harvest Moon Back to Nature way here, where grass was cut down but still remained on the same spot and could grow again.

I wish he would have gone the Harvest Moon Back to Nature way here, where grass was cut down but still remained on the same spot and could grow again.

Yeah that would have worked out much better.

I finally got the ability to make better sprinklers (yay) it was brutal hand watering everything my whole day was gone before I knew it xD

Naar

Emily had a dream about me. It was a cutscene when I entered her house. After the cutscene was over she said to herself that I'm her destiny.

Why did this happen and more importantly.....

ARE YOU TELLING ME I GOT A CHANCE?

Emily had a dream about me. It was a cutscene when I entered her house. After the cutscene was over she said to herself that I'm her destiny.

Why did this happen and more importantly.....

ARE YOU TELLING ME I GOT A CHANCE?

Honestly that dream pushed me away from Emily towards Abigail for good. Emily loses her cute factor when she has her not smiling responses.

Ventara

Did you clean up all your grass before knowing ? 😂

I've got a whole bunch planted around, but waiting a day for it to MAYBE spread, and then cutting it to MAYBE get a hay? Yeah, that's annoying.

Yeah, that would've been fine too if the growth rate and harvest rate of the grass is consistent. I don't know why they couldn't just let us turn wheat or something into hay for the animals.

JakeD

It really is annoying, It’s the only part of the game that feels like a challenge when you get 50+ hours and 15+ animals. Some tips:

Build more then one silo; better to stockpile over the years if possible. I have 4 I believe with a max in the ~900s

Fence off (so your animals can’t eat it) a large section that’s completely clear except for grass. Hold off until it’s really full and cut a path through it every other day. The more that you leave, the faster it will come back, at least it seems that way.

I just tried to plant a rare seed and some parsnip seeds and they disappeared. I could plant stuff over them and I have no idea where they went.

Known glitch?

It really is annoying, It’s the only part of the game that feels like a challenge when you get 50+ hours and 15+ animals. Some tips:

Build more then one silo; better to stockpile over the years if possible. I have 4 I believe with a max in the ~900s

Fence off (so your animals can’t eat it) a large section that’s completely clear except for grass. Hold off until it’s really full and cut a path through it every other day. The more that you leave, the faster it will come back, at least it seems that way.

Also you can take a bunch of hay early on when you only have 1 silo and store it in a chest.

So apparently Sebastian has been smoking the Devil’s lettuce. Don’t worry, Robin, I’ll get to the bottom of this! Probably got it from Abigail.

Brizzo24

After 45 or more hours, and well into year 2, I finally came across the crash screen when you go to save your game at the end of a long day.

I read the dev notes, and did everything I could to make sure to organize the materials in my fridge. I guess after getting married, does your partner remove things from your fridge when they make you a meal? That might've created a gap in my inventory, which is the cause of the crash.

TheKeyPit

Banned
After 45 or more hours, and well into year 2, I finally came across the crash screen when you go to save your game at the end of a long day.

I read the dev notes, and did everything I could to make sure to organize the materials in my fridge. I guess after getting married, does your partner remove things from your fridge when they make you a meal? That might've created a gap in my inventory, which is the cause of the crash.
No.

These sisters are getting too much for me.

First off you’re dissing my gains?

DMhQW_cVwAEaTZ7

Second,
you’re having weird hippy dreams about me?

Sorry, Penny is the one for me!

I just tried to plant a rare seed and some parsnip seeds and they disappeared. I could plant stuff over them and I have no idea where they went.

Known glitch?

Happened to me too. Tried to plant parsnip seeds and they never appeared on the ground but the packet emptied out. I was bummed for sure. My watermelon seeds worked fine though.

Ourobolus

Banned
Happened to me too. Tried to plant parsnip seeds and they never appeared on the ground but the packet emptied out. I was bummed for sure. My watermelon seeds worked fine though.

It's not a glitch. It happens if you use seeds that aren't designed to be planted during that season. Parsnips are a Spring crop, Melons are a Summer crop.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ah thanks. How do I tell what season it is?

There's an icon in the top right corner under the date that will tell you. Also the world just looks different. Lots of lighter colors for spring, tons of green for summer, brown/orange for fall, and snow everywhere for winter.

Spring / Summer
All_Seasons_Icon.png

Fall / Winter

I think the calendar will also tell you. Each season lasts 28 days.

EDIT: Also, Pierre will ONLY sell you seeds (he will sell all saplings, though) that can be planted during the current season. So if it's Summer, he won't sell you Parsnips, but he will sell you Melons. That can help tell you which crops to plant.

Really lame you can't break up relationships. I was feeding Robin hardwood for a few seasons until I realized it. All the bachelorettes seem young and I was lookin for a woman.

Ventara

I had a glitch (twice) during Shane cut-scenes... the camera is not on whatever is happening, and i basically see nothing.

Had this happen to me, too, with the cutscene where he mentions he feels great.It was centered on the room above, when the actual event was happening down below.

Yeah I'll just avoid the fuck out of the fridge until further notice seems like the safest strategy.

anddo0

Watched a few videos on the proper crops to plant and I feel like starting over. So much money left on the table, and time wasted on parsnips. I guess that's what I get for playing mostly blind.

Cerium

Watched a few videos on the proper crops to plant and I feel like starting over. So much money left on the table, and time wasted on parsnips. I guess that's what I get for playing mostly blind.

Can you link some of these videos? I'm curious what their advice is.

anddo0

There’s really no “proper” way to play the game. The problem with this min-max approach is you’re going to have so much money the game will stop being fun

Valid point. The game is fun because there is no wrong or right way to play. I could farm 100% of the time and neglect all relationships, or I could befriend everybody. I just feel like I could've managed my time better year one.

Afrocious

While there's no right way to play, some folks like general direction in order to not feel like they've wasted their time or could've done something a bit more efficiently.

This is my second playthrough of SV. I'm making way more money and having a lot more fun this go around. Somehow had 10k gold by the end of Y1 Spring. You couldn't have told me I could do that my first time through.

BSpot

Anything I should be doing in the ice caves for those teal and purple crystal things? They break like glass in one hit.

Haines

Banned
I bought a second small coop.

My wife mentioned maybe u was supposed to upgrade mine to a deluxe that holds 8 or something instead?

Am I doing this wrong? Was I not supposed to buy a second small coop. Did I miss something.

Brizzo24

Robin was in my sights but then realized she's married, so I stopped playing.

You can always get with her daughter, and you know, pretend? However the apple falls far from the tree on that one.

I full hearted Maru and Abby, and both were labeled as my "girlfriend" for about 15 game days before deciding on who I wanted as my wife. Once I got married I expected a full shitstorm from the one I left behind, but
that didn't happen. She, Maru,
was like "I'm optimistic." I was expecting a full "WTF?"

Haines

Banned

Really? I've been avoiding all info and even this thread and have been completely loving the game.

That's what you get for watching those videos more like it.

Top Bottom