• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

There's an icon in the top right corner under the date that will tell you. Also the world just looks different. Lots of lighter colors for spring, tons of green for summer, brown/orange for fall, and snow everywhere for winter.

Spring / Summer
All_Seasons_Icon.png

Fall / Winter

I think the calendar will also tell you. Each season lasts 28 days.

EDIT: Also, Pierre will ONLY sell you seeds (he will sell all saplings, though) that can be planted during the current season. So if it's Summer, he won't sell you Parsnips, but he will sell you Melons. That can help tell you which crops to plant.

Thanks very much!

Haines

Banned
Quick question

Buying a second coop is ok right? I wanted to make more mayo, and dint want what comes with the more expensive bigger one yet

oatmeal

Banned
Hit winter today. Nice change of pace. Much slower and methodical. I’m able to stop and think about spring which is cool. Redesigning my farm. Built a second coop and have 8 chickens and 4 cows now to generate profits. Hugely expanding my crops for spring with the enhanced sprinkler system so I don’t need to spend any time watering in the spring.

I know grapes are good summer and pumpkins are good fall. But what’s the best spring crop? Gonna plant a fuckload.

My social game is still abysmal.

Got level 6-8 on everything. Gold Axe and Pickaxe and Iron of the other two. No idea how to get Iridium.

Edit:
I meant blueberries not grapes. Just found out cranberries are the way to go in fall. Doh!

Zzoram

Hit winter today. Nice change of pace. Much slower and methodical. I’m able to stop and think about spring which is cool. Redesigning my farm. Built a second coop and have 8 chickens and 4 cows now to generate profits. Hugely expanding my crops for spring with the enhanced sprinkler system so I don’t need to spend any time watering in the spring.

I know grapes are good summer and pumpkins are good fall. But what’s the best spring crop? Gonna plant a fuckload.

Got level 6-8 on everything. Gold Axe and Pickaxe and Iron of the other two. No idea how to get Iridium.

Edit:
I meant blueberries not grapes. Just found out cranberries are the way to go in fall. Doh!

Spring strawberries are good if you have seeds stocked up from last years egg festival, otherwise cauliflower and kale are best.

Zzoram

15 hours already....wow. Doesn't even feel like I have been playing that long.

I had to close the game for the first time for Switch OS 4.0 update.

When I loaded my save, it was Spring 18 Year 2, with 39 hours!

I''ve also got 65 hours in BOTW, 45 hours in MK8D and 5 hours in Overcooked.

That's 154 hours in 2 months. I haven't played this much in years, since before I had a full time job. Handheld changes everything for gaming.

Edit:

Strawberries have a pretty great spring payout IIRC and they regrow until seasons end.

Happened to me too. Tried to plant parsnip seeds and they never appeared on the ground but the packet emptied out. I was bummed for sure. My watermelon seeds worked fine though.

Yep, that was exactly it. I ended up reloading because it was 3000 gold and I'm still early on.

Is it summer?

Edit: They disappeared right after you planted them?

Yep, right after planting them. Didn't show up on the ground and disappeared from my inventory. And yea, it's Summer.

Haines

Banned
Bought this and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thats the beauty of the game.

Keep plugging away and avoid reading anything at all unless you need to know a small tidbit or something. It will unfold and you will become addicted. I have only done a little of the game and its an instant all time fav

unrealist

This game reminds me why Natsume (is it Natsume or some other dev) couldn't keep the basics of Harvest Moon but the series seems to get worse with each release instead. Stardew Valley is actually just good old Harvest Moon with lots of added stuff, but the basics and core are there. Keeping it simple to 2D sprites, top down view etc is actually what we all want.

psyfi

Banned
I've never played a game like this before, but it sounds kind of nice right now. I'm just worried that it'll feel like a part time job sooner rather than later. Should I just go for it and not overthink it?

Cerium

I've never played a game like this before, but it sounds kind of nice right now. I'm just worried that it'll feel like a part time job sooner rather than later. Should I just go for it and not overthink it?

Yes you are at complete liberty to play and discover at your own pace.

vareon

Wait til 6:30 and it will return to the coop on its own

Do I keep the fence open or can I just close them so the other chickens don't get out?

You'll see a lot of people min-maxing their farm with the most effective schedules/layouts but really the game is very laid back.

I skipped a cutscene by accident, the one with the dress up fashion therapy. I pressed the wrong button and I missed it after Shane dresses up and leaves. What did I miss? Is there a way to watch the cutscene again?

Doorman

Made it to the end of my first summer tonight, and finally it's feeling like I've hit some forward momentum as far as actually progressing my farm. I got the upgraded watering can, so I've reorganized my crop beds a little to take better advantage of the new range while (slowly) introducing a few deluxe sprinklers. I think my big issue at the very start of the game is that I just didn't plant enough at the outset, which stunted the rest of my ventures for a while. Now I'm finally adding new buildings, got a silo up to start collecting grain while my first barn is being constructed, in preparation for some milk and cheese production during the winter. My biggest setback now is just that it's still going to take a long while before I can start making kegs for the wine and beer that I wanted to make the backbone of my farm. I have a good stock of hops and wheat waiting for it, and starting to lay out a fruit orchard so I can start making some cherry wine next spring, but I'm tending to level up foraging more swiftly than farming which is slightly tweaking my approach.

The end-of-summer event felt like a really nice capper for the season. It's looking like fall is when I'll really have my feet properly under me and start to really lay the blueprints out for how I want things to ultimately look, but I'm concerned a little bit that I'm not actually thinking with the whole of the farm's space just yet. More to consider, I guess. The game's got its hooks in me more deeply than I would've imagined, though, for better and for worse.

What do I do Stardew Gaf?

I think I’m done with this game for a while. Was having fun and just finished the Spring festival and planted some strawberries. Decided to take a nap before work, so I put the system in sleep mode and went to sleep myself. Woke up to the sound of Stardew playing and went to see what was going on.

Apparently my pro controllers–which were in my carrying bag/case decided to turn all of themselves on, and make my character run against the wall wasting 13 days of my save game. I was on 14 Spring (Year 2) and apparently the game had played itself all the way to 27 Spring. I’ve missed Pam and Shane’s birthdays. My animals probably went some days without getting fed, my crops have just been sitting there unharvested (didn’t check because I thought if I turned it off it wouldn’t save anything until I realized), and I’ve missed out on 14 days of profit and skill raising. I didn’t get to talk to anyone so my relationships are probably down too!

I mostly blame Nintendo on this one. Why do the pro controllers turn on so easy. Every modern controller, and last gen, required you to at least hold down a certain button to turn on. Even their Joycons rehire a double press of the home button! It really makes no sense why they decided it should be the slightest touch that turns it on. I shouldn’t have to turn Airplane mode on, and off, constantly to avoid my controllers turning on and draining themselves/the console or un-pausing a game.

I want to continue and play, but I feel like I’ve just missed it on so much.

Edit: Clarified what year I was on

oatmeal

Banned
Son of a bitch...

I can't stop playing. I played like 7 hours today.

I'm just over halfway through my first Winter. My farm is prepped for Spring, all my shit is Gold now...no idea how to get Iridium blocks or whatever. WE'll see.

I have a damn skeleton key and don't know what to do with it. I've started working the Community Center now. I didn't understand it before, now I've done like 3-4 rewards from it.

Saving up cash to buy 96 bunches of Kale on Spring 1. Gonna harvest the fuck out of this shit.

There's no time limit. Spring will be back. Or you could restart. Missing a birthday the first year isn't even that bad.

There's not really anything you can miss permanently.

Good to hear. This is my second year, and he didn’t appreciate the daffodil I gave him the first time, haha. I don’t think I could restart after 40hrs. I’ll just forget about the game for a week or so and see how I feel afterwards.

Chojin

Good to hear. This is my second year, and he didn’t appreciate the daffodil I gave him the first time, haha. I don’t think I could restart after 40hrs. I’ll just forget about the game for a week or so and see how I feel afterwards.

Secret/notsosecret to relationships: It takes a long while for hearts to drop unless you purposely constantly give them shit they hate. Or root around garbage cans with them in sight and they aren't Linus.

Even if its not their birthday find something they like, if they heart it, then feed them that twice a week. It'll fill up their heart meter in a month, month and a half tops.

One shitty present isn't going to ruin someone. Just like in real life. ;)

bosh

Halfway through fall 2. Anything I should prioritize in winter ? Will have the house upgrade with
basement
. Outside I have the barn and coop all the way upgraded. For seed spots I have about 300 crops at any given time . Have not bought the slime thing yet.

rsnl

Neo Member

I think I’m done with this game for a while. Was having fun and just finished the Spring festival and planted some strawberries. Decided to take a nap before work, so I put the system in sleep mode and went to sleep myself. Woke up to the sound of Stardew playing and went to see what was going on.

Apparently my pro controllers–which were in my carrying bag/case decided to turn all of themselves on, and make my character run against the wall wasting 13 days of my save game. I was on 14 Spring and apparently the game had played itself all the way to 27 Spring. I’ve missed Pam and Shane’s birthdays. My animals probably went some days without getting fed, my crops have just been sitting there unharvested (didn’t check because I thought if I turned it off it wouldn’t save anything until I realized), and I’ve missed out on 14 days of profit and skill raising. I didn’t get to talk to anyone so my relationships are probably down too!

I mostly blame Nintendo on this one. Why do the pro controllers turn on so easy. Every modern controller, and last gen, required you to at least hold down a certain button to turn on. Even their Joycons rehire a double press of the home button! It really makes no sense why they decided it should be the slightest touch that turns it on. I shouldn’t have to turn Airplane mode on, and off, constantly to avoid my controllers turning on and draining themselves/the console or un-pausing a game.

I havent even talked to anyone and I'm in the 2nd year

vareon

Apparently my pro controllers–which were in my carrying bag/case decided to turn all of themselves on, and make my character run against the wall wasting 13 days of my save game. I was on 14 Spring and apparently the game had played itself all the way to 27 Spring. I’ve missed Pam and Shane’s birthdays. My animals probably went some days without getting fed, my crops have just been sitting there unharvested (didn’t check because I thought if I turned it off it wouldn’t save anything until I realized), and I’ve missed out on 14 days of profit and skill raising. I didn’t get to talk to anyone so my relationships are probably down too!

That's unfortunate, but 14 days of Spring you played is kind of nothing. I purposely restarted the game after 30 Spring because I want to spend 30 days learning things, so I guess you can treat it like that. The next time you start your farm will be much better planned.

how the hell did the controllers run him into bed and skip each day progress screen that many times? That is more impressive than 'Twitch plays pokemon'

So for the last 3 seasons I had been hoarding the fish/ocean stuff I catch. Selling only when I needed something. Then I decided to upgrade stuff and sold a shiatload of fish. Kept 2 of each just in case. Immediately got like 9k. feelsgood.

Where’s the best place to buy equipment with defense?

Aiii

So not worth it
I havent even talked to anyone and I'm in the 2nd year

Seriously, I have my waifu at 12 hearts, about 5 more people at one heart from accidental gifts because I had them selected and pressed a to talk to people passing by and that's it.

I don't think it really matters that you missed two weeks, there's no time limit on anything, you can just pick up where you left off and be fine.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the same thing happened to me on PC. the fact that the game keeps running without user input, even after all this time, is inexcusable. if they want to allow people to idle like that, it should be opt in.

Man I can't get over how goddamn STUNNING this game looks during fall. The swaying leaves in the wind, the earthy colors on leaves, all around just beautiful.

Quick random question: Any incentive to keep buying hats from the mouse further down south? Do they provide stats or is it just a cosmetic change? If it leads to anything beyond just more stuff to wear, please don't give away the details.

Aiii

So not worth it
the same thing happened to me on PC. the fact that the game keeps running without user input, even after all this time, is inexcusable. if they want to allow people to idle like that, it should be opt in.

Wouldn't have solved his problem. He wasn't idling, he was walking.

I'm finally taking the time to really play with the decoration on my farm, and it's making me enjoy the game so much. I can get really wrapped up in completing bundles and forget to just relax, but tinkering with the look of my farm brings me back. Shamelessly stealing some ideas that I've seen here. The best idea I've seen was people opting out of this perfect, boring symmetry; the farms that look like factories are kinda eh.

Unfortunately I don't have enough money to execute my fruit orchard, but maybe after a winter full of preserves and fishing I'll be able to afford to plant it in the spring.

I don't think I've ever played a game like this since maybe Animal Crossing and I... just cannot put this game down!

How can such a game like this keep you hooked for so long?! I wanted to play something else, but by the time I stopped playing (after getting something to eat), it's already this hour!

My modest farm, as of Fall, Year 1; have 4 rare seeds growing on the left. Up around the bee house and flowers, I carefully lined up all three types of trees and will make tappers for them all later. Added sprinklers and Q. Sprinklers to ease off the watering chore.

Planning on having max of 3 Cherry Trees grow throughout fall and winter to prepare for spring. May go for the same thing for a Summer fruit tree.

And have a small wheat field for the rest of the season. Currently watering it myself.

Made a couple of friends, and made it to
Floor 100
of the mine. Got a
Stardrop that finally increased my energy

Have yet to crash, but have occasionally had sound static. Probably will avoid upgrading my house for the time being.

Going to take some pictures of my farm tonight, in spring 2 and it's finally taking shape, this isn't my first time playing stardew as I played it on pc on 2 saves, never made it to the second year though, playing on the pc just wasn't appealing for a game like this.

Fliesen

Wouldn't have solved his problem. He wasn't idling, he was walking.

Well, the game could just do some kind of confirmation dialogue when you pass out.
Right now, you can pass out, wake up, pass out, without ever having to click "ok" or dismiss any kind of notification. (cmiiw)

I don't think I've ever played a game like this since maybe Animal Crossing and I... just cannot put this game down!

How can such a game like this keep you hooked for so long?! I wanted to play something else, but by the time I stopped playing (after getting something to eat), it's already this hour!

My modest farm, as of Fall, Year 1; have 4 rare seeds growing on the left. Up around the bee house and flowers, I carefully lined up all three types of trees and will make tappers for them all later. Added sprinklers and Q. Sprinklers to ease off the watering chore.

Planning on having max of 3 Cherry Trees grow throughout fall and winter to prepare for spring. May go for the same thing for a Summer fruit tree.

And have a small wheat field for the rest of the season. Currently watering it myself.

Made a couple of friends, and made it to
Floor 100
of the mine. Got a
Stardrop that finally increased my energy

Have yet to crash, but have occasionally had sound static. Probably will avoid upgrading my house for the time being.

The causes of the crash are already well documented i think.
* A tool missing from your inventory (either in a chest or with the blacksmith)
+
* A container (including the fridge) with an EMPTY SLOT.

When a tool is missing from your inventory, the game checks all ingamecontainers for that missing item (probably so you'd be unable to lose a tool for good). If any of those containers has a gap between items, the game crashes on the Switch (not on other platforms).
Creating such a gap doesn't just happen, as chests will usually just condense items. What does create a gap is cooking an item with ingredients from the fridge.
If you have SUGAR / FLOUR / OIL in your fridge and you cook something that only consumes flour, your fridge would have SUGAR / / OIL.
So there's your gap - now if you also had left one of your tools with the blacksmith on that very day, your game would crash after going to bed.

So feel free to upgrade your house

I'm still waiting for my second shard :/

I want the Galaxy Sword.

There you have it. Parsnip is a spring crop. It can't grow in the summer.

Same with the rare seed that takes all season to grow?

Huh. I wish that interaction was a little clearer rather than it just disappearing.

Top Bottom