• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley immediately takes the #1 spot on the eshop

Jetku

I was an overweight 29 year old, married with a baby. Now I’m a semi-fit 30 year old, married with a toddler. I traded video games for fitness as my primary hobby over the last year, so I’ve only bought ~5 games this year. 4 of them are on Switch and 2 of them are Stardew and Axiom. The switch is simply killing it - keep em coming!

I hope these high quality games meet great success for their devs.

Such a weird choice to have SDV localized to Russian and Portuguese but not French. I'd think that France and French Canadians would be a bigger market. There's a reason why most games historically came in 6 languages (Japanese + EFIGS English French Italian German Spanish) and none of them being Russian or Portuguese.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Mentioned it in another thread but these indie games are perfect for the portable aspect of the switch in the sense that they're pretty much the evolution of the games I would have bought for the GBA or DS family.

People were wondering when those types of games would start to transition from 3DS to Switch. I argue that they're already here. They're just coming from all over the world now (as opposed to just Japan) and we now call them Nindies.

I don't have much to add but just wanted to say that this is a great post that really nails the way I've been thinking, but have been unable to articulate. You're spot on, and its wonderful.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Explain to me why. From the screens it looks like animal crossing, I hate that sort of shit with a passion.

I'm happy to be wrong but what is so good about this game?

Trust me, if you aren't into farm sim RPGs, and MANY PEOPLE AREN'T, then stay away from this game. It's for a certain taste. I like it. Some don't.

I'm not buying this for the same reason I'm not buying any more Megami Tensei games any time soon: I'll get sucked in and that'll be the last y'all hear of the booger for months.

Pepin

I can totally see myself drunkenly buying this and then never trying it.

I did this on PS4, except it turns out blackout drunk Pepin will still boot this up and play a bit before falling asleep. All I ever seem to do is go foraging when I can barely keep my eyes open. Therapeutic.

w0s

What is the best way to play this the first time? I got a bit overwhelmed when I tried to play it before with so much to do.

What is the best way to play this the first time? I got a bit overwhelmed when I tried to play it before with so much to do.
First time I'm playing this (about 6 hours in), but I just focused on growing my farm to get a steady income, so I was able to purchase the backpack upgrade. Now that I have that I'll be able to gather more resources wihout having to do a lot of inventory management.

tumblr_oq49u33dUw1ss3kvuo1_250.gif

Blackie

Glad to have purchased. So far the game is very charming but cleaning up this farm (and finding my proper place within the community) will take a lot of work. Harvest Moon is my past, SV is my future ;)

ta155

Got just shy of £30 in eshop credit and wanna put it towards two from Stardew Valley, SteamWorld, Axiom Verge and Golf Story. What do I do, GAF?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
It's more like a very refined Harvest Moon, but it has some Animal Crossing in it (mostly around filling catalogs and a museum). It also has some combat and dungeon crawling elements.

It's a chill game that lets you do whatever you want with it. There's no pressure to do anything at any specific time (no end date or missables like Harvest Moon), and it's got one of the most relaxing soundtracks behind it, so just wandering around picking wild berries just sort of lulls your brain into a good place.

The game is also extremely LGBT friendly and handles marriage very well.

Thanks for the detailed description. Sounds like it's absolutely not for me at all, but I'm pretty pleased it sounds like switch gets another mega hit. The indie games on this thing are reaching amazing status

Zophar

I've been tempted to pick this up for a handheld solution, but I made a lot of progress on PS4 and would really like to carry that over to Vita.

ghibli99

Bought it yesterday, played 1 hour, I have absolutely no idea what I'm supposed to do. I think I'm going to delete it.
That's kind of the point, to an extent. There really is no pressure to get things done, and even if you don't, you'll always get another chance to do those things later.

The mistake I made is that late-game, I got a little obsessed with the collectibles, which made things a grind, especially some of the RNG ones. I ended up neglecting all the things on my farm I cared about through most of my playthrough. I think on Switch, I'm going to take a different approach, but we'll see.

Anyway, great game. Certainly one of the best I played all year.

Got just shy of £30 in eshop credit and wanna put it towards two from Stardew Valley, SteamWorld, Axiom Verge and Golf Story. What do I do, GAF?
Stardew and Golf Story would get my vote, but that's just me!

Raven117

This is fucking great!
I love how the switch is being the home for so many great indie games.
And to boot, they seem to be selling better than in other platforms!

It just feels like such a good fit having these types of games on a handheld.

Lunar15

The switch has become this awesome gateway for indies to get portable and I hope that's a trend that continues across multiple companies in the future.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Deserved! Owned it on PC and loved what little of it I played there, but having it on a portable (and the Switch particularly) just made me double dip. I'm playing it in bed and it's making me all dreamy and stuff.

Also bought Golf Story with it, but eehhhhhhh I haven't even touched that one. Think I will once I've finished Thimbleweed Park (which is also a great game!)

GAMES

Renna Hazel

Glad to see this game is doing well on the Switch. Still contemplating purchasing it myself so that might be one more sale added to the total soon!

Coricus

I have to admit, I wasn't even paying attention to this game outside of seeing people get excited for it and just bought it on a whim the moment it popped onto the Eshop, but I'm actually pretty impressed. Went from 0 to "BRB calling dibs on Sebastian and also how do I make enough money to afford all these things I want" in the span of a day.

I'm starting to get why this game is so explosively popular. I'm sure the massive hype surrounding it didn't hurt it's Eshop position at all, either.
Anything that requires a dpad is certainly not perfect for Switch.

But Stardew definitely is. How do I move these rocks out of my yard btw
Hit them with the pickaxe. Not only will it remove the rocks, but you get rocks as resources.

oti

Banned
I was an overweight 29 year old, married with a baby. Now I’m a semi-fit 30 year old, married with a toddler. I traded video games for fitness as my primary hobby over the last year, so I’ve only bought ~5 games this year. 4 of them are on Switch and 2 of them are Stardew and Axiom. The switch is simply killing it - keep em coming!

I hope these high quality games meet great success for their devs.

Playing Stardew Valley while riding my stationary bike sounds like a solid plan to play and get fit. 🤔

AColdDay

Golf Story, Stardew, Steamworld are all going to get it once I'm done with Divinity. OH CRAP, Mario Odyssey is out this month too. Jesus, this month is stacked.

I'm definitely one of the people who bought it. Afraid to start it though, because I have too much else going on.

Does time pass Animal Crossing style, where if I save and don't play for a week, my farm goes to shit?

ghibli99

I'm definitely one of the people who bought it. Afraid to start it though, because I have too much else going on.

Does time pass Animal Crossing style, where if I save and don't play for a week, my farm goes to shit?
Nope, no realtime clock. :)

And it's easy to play in short bursts, since 1 day in-game goes by pretty quickly. But if you get hooked like so many others, you'll play many days in a row wondering where your life went. LOL

I love this game. I got so many questions cause idk what I'm doing LOL. I looked up what my potential waifu likes for gifts, but felt bad and promised myself I would keep it to a minimum. I still dont get how you are supposed to figure it out, but there are a lot of things I dont get...Having a blast in the dark!

Piscus

The game is beautiful and I'm tempted to buy it but I'm afraid it feels like a job... does it require a lot of dedication?

I started the game yesterday for the first time and, despite being an old Harvest Moon vet, I felt pretty overwhelmed at first, but... before long it melts into a world of opportunity and exploration with no pressure. The music, the relaxed nature, the pure choice the player has in doing whatever they want to do, man. All the apprehension about "doing things right" quickly dissolves into straight-up fun.

Switch is killing my wallet:

- Axiom Verge ( really fantastic and that OST....holy shit! )
- Steamworld Dig 2 ( 2 hours in...great game )
- Golf Story ( awesome game! )

And now you're telling me to buy this too?

giphy.gif

Nope, no realtime clock. :)

And it's easy to play in short bursts, since 1 day in-game goes by pretty quickly. But if you get hooked like so many others, you'll play many days in a row wondering where your life went. LOL

Thank you. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear

Switch is killing my wallet:

- Axiom Verge ( really fantastic and that OST....holy shit! )
- Steamworld Dig 2 ( 2 hours in...great game )
- Golf Story ( awesome game! )

And now you're telling me to buy this too?

Don't forget about Oxenfree!

Top Bottom