• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield could REALLY use a 40 fps+ mode on console

Mythoclast

At least on Series X.

I just started playing today and the game is really good, but something feels really off with the 30 fps. I’m sure Bethesda could work some magic and make an unlocked performance mode at least on Series X. As we know, consoles tend to be easier to optimize for as they are closed systems with all resources dedicated to gaming.

I’d rather have unstable unlocked than 30 fps locked tbh. Playing through FF16 on Performance and while I can notice the drops, I’d rather play a good chunk of the game close to 60. Ultimately, that would just be an option and people could still play at locked 30 if they prefer.

Todd, please make it happen!!!

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I agree it needs something on X. Not so sure it's cpu bound, aren't similar pc processors running it just fine at 60fps with good video cards?

It's so hard to play it at 30fps once you used to playing 95% your games at 60fps.....

Last edited:

Roberts

If it is possible, I would totally dig it if they added 40fps. 30fps was my biggest worry about the game as I can’t really stand it after playing everything in 60fps for three years. That said they did a pretty good job with it. After playing the game for nearly 30 hours, I really feel it only in tight spaces.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'd welcome it, but I don't think it's happening.

I will say that I thought that TOTK was intolerable when I first played it on my TV and so I play it handheld exclusively, but with no option on Starfield, I actually don't think it's as bad as I thought it might be. Still do not want a 30fps as standard future though.

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, performance isn’t great on Series X. Getting screen tearing and the occasional FPS dip here and there (despite the planet being desolate). If they can improve it that’d be great.

At least the controls seem responsive/tight from what I’ve played thus far though, which help it feel more fluid.

Sweden85

It is so choppy on my XSX that I stopped playing it. Don't like to play shooting games on my PC but maybe I will have to make an exception.-

King Dazzar

Can be used on a 120HzTV or VRR. But that was never the point.
The point is that it's possible to have such an option.
Hey, I was just clarifying after you said it was easy to just put in a cap. My understanding is that there's a little more to it, because it needs the 120hz mode of a TV to be engaged. A 40fps mode is not the same as using VRR. It makes use of the 120hz functionality of a TV so that the frames can divide evenly to 40 for the TV to process.

Anyway back to OP. Just tried playing this and yeah its an OK 30fps, but the combat feels poor to me. Its not just the frames, something is off with the latency. My Fallout 4 modded game at 60fps gunplay feels much better. I do think the detail texture work and environments look excellent. Its a shame that that too is spoilt by awful HDR. Disappointed.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It is so choppy on my XSX that I stopped playing it. Don't like to play shooting games on my PC but maybe I will have to make an exception.-

Bummer, do you have a VRR tv? The inherent blurryness of 30fps is what bothers me more than any inconsistency.

Tsaki

What is the CPU utilization on the game? I wonder how multithreaded it is and if 1 core just does all the work and the others just stay at 15%.

PeteBull

It's a CPU killer, the only thing that's saving it on PC is frame generation with moded DLSS 3.
Its even more than that, game barely takes advantage of more than 6 cores/12 threads, it scales only with ipc/clock/cashe but after 6c/12t barely any gainz if any

Simply compare 6c12t cpu to 8c16t cpu's of same gen, almost no difference between 5600x3d and 5800x3d, or between 7600x and 7900x/7950x.

Basically in this game, for most fps/cost u want 6c12t with best ipc/frequency as possible, and tons of cash or/and fast ram to boot, thats it, https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LfNxFT/intel-core-i5-13600k-35-ghz-14-core-processor-bx8071513600k gives 79fps min/95 avg after all, while this one https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cwFKHx/intel-core-i9-10900k-37-ghz-10-core-processor-bx8070110900k (10c/20t but worse ipc and ofc dd4) only 58min/69 avg.

In the budget range its even more visible, with i3 13100(thats fricken 4c8t entry lvl cpu) fhttps://pcpartpicker.com/product/RdjBD3/intel-core-i3-13100-34-ghz-quad-core-processor-bx8071513100 at 51min/66 avg vs for example i7 10700k (8c16t) https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yhxbt6/intel-core-i7-10700k-38-ghz-8-core-processor-bx8070110700k only 53min/65avg.

Tsaki

According to the HU video above the 3700X (Zen2, 8C/16T) has 50 avg/43min fps. Now even though this is the most "direct" CPU for the Series consoles, it also has much more cache and much higher boost clocks. The video shows that even 4C/8T CPUs get (comparably) good performance, meaning the 8 cores in the consoles are probably somewhat underutilized.
So the 3700x having more "single core favourable stuff" like 4 times the L3 cache and 800 MHz higher boost clock can mean that the Series X could not reach 40 fps (never mind consistently hitting it). And this is just about pure CPU bottleneck and assumes that GPU and bandwidth can scale easily to whatever target fps they choose.

Last edited:

Meave

Neo Member
So I’ve found that on an OLED on a Series X it sucks, but I streamed it to my iPad and the FPS we much more tolerable.

One thing I’ve done for this game which I‘ve never done before is to set the Smooth Motion on for my LG TV, a good way to get 60 fps on consoles, that is if you can stand the weird artifacts that happen during quick movement.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
So I’ve found that on an OLED on a Series X it sucks, but I streamed it to my iPad and the FPS we much more tolerable.

One thing I’ve done for this game which I‘ve never done before is to set the Smooth Motion on for my LG TV, a good way to get 60 fps on consoles, that is if you can stand the weird artifacts that happen during quick movement.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

twilo99

The CPUs in both the x and s are shit so it’s not going to happen. The fact that the games runs as well as it does on these things is already a great achievement

The problem is that the game probably can’t reach 40fps in a lot of scenarios. Interiors (dungeons) could probably hit 40+ at times but cities? No chance, not on that hardware.

Bethesda needs a new engine. Interior loading is a pain in the ass and immersion killing, no matter how short the loading is.

Top Bottom