• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield could REALLY use a 40 fps+ mode on console

TheShocker

Depends on how it affects resolution. I play on a C2 OLED so I have 120hz and VRR, but I do appreciate a crisp image. Also, sometimes 120hz containers elevate black levels and Starfield already has a fucked up black point.

damidu

yes, probably doesnt hold a stable 40 though.
its totally unplayable at 30 after you come back from pc, at least try 3rd person to make it a bit easier on the eyes.

DryvBy

Yes. Currently it feels like the game is running at a higher framerate and then being chopped down to 30fps. It does not at all feel like 30fps when moving the camera.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I don't think Xbox is going to release a pro console but I do think its highly possible they start the next generation before Sony does since they are releasing a pro next year
in 2 or 3 years they will release either a pro or a new gen

with all the studios they have it is smart to keep all the games and release them for the new gen at the start

twilo99

I've been switching between my 6800xt and my xss... the xss does a solid job all things considered, I don't really mind playing on it

At least on Series X.

I just started playing today and the game is really good, but something feels really off with the 30 fps. I’m sure Bethesda could work some magic and make an unlocked performance mode at least on Series X. As we know, consoles tend to be easier to optimize for as they are closed systems with all resources dedicated to gaming.

I’d rather have unstable unlocked than 30 fps locked tbh. Playing through FF16 on Performance and while I can notice the drops, I’d rather play a good chunk of the game close to 60. Ultimately, that would just be an option and people could still play at locked 30 if they prefer.

Todd, please make it happen!!!
Few updates down the line you never know they might.

DeaDPo0L84

Easy to say this when you haven’t tried it at 60.
Me over here playing @ 120fps, max settings, on an ultrawide monitor:
laugh smile GIF

twilo99

Easy to say this when you haven’t tried it at 60.

I play it on 6800xt and an xss.. I would say whatever they’ve done on the Xbox would be acceptable for most.

Of course, I prefer the PC experience, but that’s way more expensive.

Last edited:

Neo_game

Given how it runs on high end PC, its unlikely, engine is shit

Three words, shared memory pool, which absolutely tanks CPU power in scenarios like this.

Let us see if this will become the trend going forward. 60fps may be a limitation of the hardware but 40fps mode for those who have the TV should definitely be considered.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

So I started this up yesterday on Series X, I have made my character and got to the first enemy conflict at the start with the pirates. I was very underwhelmed with the gunplay / aiming and shooting. It felt very stiff, please tell me this gets better? I had to put it down after that. Will continue tonight but it didn't feel great. This was in first person perspective. Also no Atmos support which annoys me.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So I started this up yesterday on Series X, I have made my character and got to the first enemy conflict at the start with the pirates. I was very underwhelmed with the gunplay / aiming and shooting. It felt very stiff, please tell me this gets better? I had to put it down after that. Will continue tonight but it didn't feel great. This was in first person perspective. Also no Atmos support which annoys me.

No that's 30fps for you. Went from that to pc at 60 and to me it felt a lot better to play.
Still has a bit of that "bethesda" clunkyness but still much better.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Feasible if they bring down the resolution scale from 66% (1440p) straight to 50% which then would be 1080p . That's the only way they can free 10 more fps beside perhaps lowering one or two key graphic settings

TonyK

I have the same feeling than when I played Redfall, that the 30fps feels very good in these games, and I'm totally sure it's because there is no option to switch to 60fps and compare. So when you are forced to play at 30fps during a few hours, you get used and it feels almost as smooth as 60fps. In reality is a placebo, but it works and I think is the reason because we all enjoyed 30fps games in the past, because outside of PC there was no option to switch to 60fps in console for specific games.

Said this, yes, I want a 40fps mode for Starfield.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
You care enough to post and reply.

No, you misunderstand. I'm happy to have an exchange with you on this subject. I'm saying to you that if you bump threads you don't want to see to the top of the pile (repeatedly now!) then you're sort of curating a bad experience where you keep seeing things you're not interested in at the top of the page.

I don't mind looking at what people are saying in this thread, it's why I clicked on it initially.

I also don't mind replying to you to point out the role you're playing in bumping this thread. I don't care if it's at the top of the forum all day. That's what I don't care about.

If the thread were about something I'm not interested in, I would scroll by.

That is my position on threads I do or do not care about and how I deal with those threads. Hope that helps.

Sorry this got bumped again. :(

Top Bottom