• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

IFireflyl

Gold Member
That still implies that I don't know any better, so now you're just talking down on me.

Anyway, listen, I'd love to stay and carefully explain why I think you're wrong, why your alleged years of gaming experience didn't really provide you with much wisdom on the subject, and why I very much doubt that you're even old enough to speak with that much authority. But I think I'd rather just go back to playing Starfield.

gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I enjoyed the game but reflecting back on my experience, I agree with most of the criticism. It very much feels like a Bethesda RPG, with space combat and planet exploration taking the place of the open-world traversal.

I think it’s still worth playing if that sounds like your thing.

RGB'D

Personal anecdote but if this wasn't a Bethesda game, I would not even give it time in a day.

The fact that I absolutely love Bethesda means I will play this disappointing game sooner or later just to experience it. I already bought it. Still wrapped in plastic. Just waiting for a good patch to jump in.

I always try to see something good in Bethesda games despite their drawbacks but it's incredibly hard to do so when most of the discussion seem to indicate they actually regressed.

Speaking of maps, you know what game had maps? Morrowind. Us Morrowind fans lamented the introduction of objective markers and always voiced out to remove it. Bethesda did the complete opposite. Removed maps and made you entirely rely on markers. I wasn't exploring, I was just mindlessly following markers.

I quote Elijah from New Vegas
The discussion now has more bias in it than ever before. Anecdotally I am enjoying Starfield more than Skyrim or FO4. Play it for yourself and form your own opinion. The SONY bias is pervasive though and SF is getting way more criticism than it would have as a multiplat so the noise is less reliable. It would probably be just as hyped alongside SM2 and people would be bragging that the PS5 version was less buggy.

Zuzu

I didn't say it has most complex skill tree ever. Doesn't mean it's casual.

There is new stuff being discovered still. Game gives you plenty of options to role play the way you want.

This is a new discovery i just saw.

I know this is an older conversation now so sorry to dig this back up but I think you’re right the more I think about. I’ll retract my previous opinion that it’s “casual”. It does allow a good amount of customisation and a variety of builds.

Last edited:
I know this is an older conversation now so sorry to dig this back up but I think you’re right the more I think about. I’ll retract my previous opinion that it’s “casual”. It does allow a good amount of customisation and a variety of builds.

I must say, I am playing it like a casual now. Lol.

Putting points in everything from weapon damage to scanning to crafting to ship/outpost building.

Have spent 100 hrs and at some point said screw it, and now working towards making a character that will do everything.

EV4D

Neo Member
After the first 8 hours (which is brutal) I am really enjoying the game. However, I do have to say that to me, its not a next-gen game. I am still waiting for a game on Xbox that feels "next-gen". I suppose we are still a year or so out from that.

JackMcGunns

After the first 8 hours (which is brutal) I am really enjoying the game. However, I do have to say that to me, its not a next-gen game. I am still waiting for a game on Xbox that feels "next-gen". I suppose we are still a year or so out from that.

120 hours in. The more you play, the more you realize how little you know. The game is absolutely massive!

Watch this video, in fact follow this channel, there's so much good advice here for beginners

120 hours in. The more you play, the more you realize how little you know. The game is absolutely massive!

Watch this video, in fact follow this channel, there's so much good advice here for beginners

Such strange game design that you have to play for so long to being to have fun or for the game to get good. The team clearly has it in them to make it a fun game so why not do that from the get go and hook the player right away? Would have been better received imo, first impressions as they say

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Such strange game design that you have to play for so long to being to have fun or for the game to get good. The team clearly has it in them to make it a fun game so why not do that from the get go and hook the player right away? Would have been better received imo, first impressions as they say

Funny take, I didn't have to play all that to like it, that's where I am now because I'm hooked, I've played 120 hours because I love exploration and enjoying these amazing quests, for example and without giving anything away, there's a cyberpunk style quest where you help a pharmaceutical company succeed over its competition, and while you're at it, you can let them experiment on you with implants that can give you permanent powers. Some mission can be stealthy, or gun blazing, others dog fighting in space. The level of customization of your ship which you can build and design from scratch is mind boggling, you can become an unstoppable space pirate if you choose to, or you can decide to build outposts on different planets harvesting resources for incredible amounts of loot and xp, btw none of that is required to beat the main story, but man this sandbox has more to offer than any game I've ever played.

Question, if I had told you that I sunk more hours over time in GTA5, would you have questioned why I needed that many hours to like it?

After enjoying Starfield so much, and despite its many flaws that can be fixed with future patches, like improving loading and allowing you to skip some cutscenes, but despite that, I am convinced without a single doubt that most of the hate towards the game, and I don't mean the dislikes, but the flat out hate and review bombs are tied to its exclusivity.

Funny take, I didn't have to play all that to like it, that's where I am now because I'm hooked, I've played 120 hours because I love exploration and enjoying these amazing quests, for example and without giving anything away, there's a cyberpunk style quest where you help a pharmaceutical company succeed over its competition, and while you're at it, you can let them experiment on you with implants that can give you permanent powers. Some mission can be stealthy, or gun blazing, others dog fighting in space. The level of customization of your ship which you can build and design from scratch is mind boggling, you can become an unstoppable space pirate if you choose to, or you can decide to build outposts on different planets harvesting resources for incredible amounts of loot and xp, btw none of that is required to beat the main story, but man this sandbox has more to offer than any game I've ever played.

Question, if I had told you that I sunk more hours over time in GTA5, would you have questioned why I needed that many hours to like it?

After enjoying Starfield so much, and despite its many flaws that can be fixed with future patches, like improving loading and allowing you to skip some cutscenes, but despite that, I am convinced without a single doubt that most of the hate towards the game, and I don't mean the dislikes, but the flat out hate and review bombs are tied to its exclusivity.
Your response was to a user that had said they didnt start enjoying it until after a while and that has been a common opinion that i have seen regarding this game. Some folks even recommend rushing the story playthrough so it will be fun on the newgame plus.

It seemed like you were trying to convince the other user more of the same, if that not the case my apologies. If it is the case my response to you is appropriate.

To respond to your GTAV question, i wouldnt think based on your gameplay time that it was a bad game or not fun because thw consensus is that its good from the jump, something im confident starfield could have been but because of a strange game design choice/s is not from the start and you need to invest heavily into it for it to START being enjoying.

I don't think the intro is bad per-se, but if you're shoehorning your expectations of prior BGS gameplay into Starfield it's not going to click. My first few hours were brutal until I stopped treating it like Fallout 4 in space, and just let the game speak for itself.

I restarted my character for different traits, and the first few hours were just as good as everything else.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm curious to see if these customer reviews will hurt the 2nd month sales of the game.

GHG

Gold Member
Can't blame Steam gamers at all. By the time the game gets basic shit like DLSS and HDR controls, it will have been nearly 3 months since launch. Just don't get it.

I really don't understand them launching their games (this and FM) in the state that they have. It's like the only thing they learnt from the Redfall situation was how to manipulate the "professional" review process. The problem with that though is that the truth always comes out.

For example, Forza Motorsport is now the 37th worst game of all time on steam based on user reviews.

Flutta

Banned
I really don't understand them launching their games (this and FM) in the state that they have. It's like the only thing they learnt from the Redfall situation was how to manipulate the "professional" review process. The problem with that though is that the truth always comes out.

For example, Forza Motorsport is now the 37th worst game of all time on steam based on user reviews.
Their goal was always to increase GP subs as much and as fast as possible. And for that to happen
Quality will always take a hit. Also it’s MS we’re talking about, if they are willing to sacrifice Halo their biggest franchise no game will matter to them, just throw them out there one after the other and hope for the sub numbers to go up. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Also it’s MS we’re talking about, if they are willing to sacrifice Halo their biggest franchise no game will matter to them, just throw them out there one after the other and hope for the sub numbers to go up. 🤷‍♂️

Masterclass strategy on display here from Xbox.

Pelta88

They're spending hundreds of millions in development cost for a 15 minute PR win. All that to tout meaningless GP numbers that don't amount to growth, revenue, or more importantly profit.

Announcing how many people tried a ip for "free" at launch and how many people are still engaged 30 days post launch paint to vastly different pictures. Redfall, Starfield, Forza, and Halo Infinite are overtly bad games. But if you ask an XBOX guy for an explanation of why these games release in such a shit state they'll tell you... And this is verbatim quote... "But Microsoft are still making money." Sidestepping the question entirely.

Last edited:

Forth

As much as I love this game there is just one single thing that ruins it for me and it's the limited POI'S when landing on different planets.
I mentioned this last night in another thread and was called out for it but I do genuinely love this game, it's just that the trailer made me think that the discovery element for the 1000 planets would make me want to go out and see what was out there but what's the point when every POI on and planet is exactly the same as the last even down to the different items.
Surely they should have realised this would happen!
It kills the discovery element and my advice to anyone is just stick to the storyline and nothing else.

JackMcGunns

WTF Is this video sponsored? It looks like an embarassing advertisement.

I think you're just projecting. "OMG he really likes Starfield, must be fake or an Ad" :pie_diana: If you follow that channel, you'll see that he has a wide variety of games from different platforms that he has played exptensively and covered very nicely. He put in more than 100 hours in Starfield and feels the same way as most people who have invested in the game. Starfield has its quirks, but it's incredibly massive and rewarding, completely underrated from where the Steam score stands.

Last edited:
As much as I love this game there is just one single thing that ruins it for me and it's the limited POI'S when landing on different planets.
I mentioned this last night in another thread and was called out for it but I do genuinely love this game, it's just that the trailer made me think that the discovery element for the 1000 planets would make me want to go out and see what was out there but what's the point when every POI on and planet is exactly the same as the last even down to the different items.
Surely they should have realised this would happen!
It kills the discovery element and my advice to anyone is just stick to the storyline and nothing else.

Just different POI's would be so disappointing. I want different stories added to some planet surfaces.

Whenever you enter a solar system, you see three dots (...) Marking some planets/moons. When you visit those, you will see they have some facility/settlements. But they tend to be some variant of POIs that planet randomly assigns when you land.

My guess is they were going to add quests on planet surface but couldn't due to feature creep/ time limitations.

I would like these to be added. Some variety of quests that tells some story specific to that planet. IMO it will completely change dynamic of exploration in this game and raise it to the status of all time greats. It's obviously made for that.

GHG

Gold Member
I think you're just projecting. "OMG he really likes Starfield, must be fake or an Ad" :pie_diana: If you follow that channel, you'll see that he has a wide variety of games from different platforms that he has played exptensively and covered very nicely. He put in more than 100 hours in Starfield and feels the same way as most people who have invested in the game. Starfield has its quirks, but it's incredibly massive and rewarding, completely underrated from where the Steam score stands.

*looks at his latest videos*

Not really:

oQKp2PN.jpg
C3EyuT9.jpg
m1SHAmh.jpg
iRHOxi6.jpg

VinnyMac

I figured it would fall to mid 70s but 60s is rough. But the writing was on the wall since that first leaked screenshot a few years again I knew then it was the same Ole Bethesda game looks and plays not a new engine its fallout in space.

Topher

Gold Member
*looks at his latest videos*

Not really:

oQKp2PN.jpg
C3EyuT9.jpg
m1SHAmh.jpg
iRHOxi6.jpg

Yeah, I'm seeing primarily Starfield and Skyrim going back the last couple of years. Nothing wrong with that but it is definitely a Bethesda focused channel. I wouldn't call it an "advertisement" though, which is what the comment JackMcGunns JackMcGunns was responding to was saying. Channel has quite the following focusing on these few games so that is the crowd they are catering to.

JackMcGunns

Yeah, I'm seeing primarily Starfield and Skyrim going back the last couple of years. Nothing wrong with that but it is definitely a Bethesda focused channel. I wouldn't call it an "advertisement" though, which is what the comment JackMcGunns JackMcGunns was responding to was saying. Channel has quite the following focusing on these few games so that is the crowd they are catering to.

Exactly, the guy was implying it was a Microsoft shill or something, as if anyone interested in Starfield or Bethesda games is automatically one or something. I'm really hooked on Stafield, 207 hours now, it's pretty awesome.

GHG

Gold Member
What is this? a witch hunt? LMAO. I don't see anything wrong here.

You claimed the following:

If you follow that channel, you'll see that he has a wide variety of games from different platforms

Which is factually untrue.

This is the channel description:

Tculu2L.jpg

Additionally:
  • The last time he covered a game that isn't Starfield was 3 months ago (other games have come out since then)
  • The last time he covered a game that isn't a Bethesda one was over 2 years ago (even then it was fleeting).
They are pretty much an extension of the Bethesda press office (much like Vaatividya is for From Software). So I don't know who you're attempting to kid here.

These types of channels get preferential treatment and exclusive/early access for the type of work that they do (heap praise on a particular studio/franchise). If you're looking for anything impartial then those aren't the types of places to go looking. It is what it is.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

You claimed the following:

Which is factually untrue.

This is the channel description:

Tculu2L.jpg

Additionally:
  • The last time he covered a game that isn't Starfield was 3 months ago (other games have come out since then)
  • The last time he covered a game that isn't a Bethesda one was over 2 years ago (even then it was fleeting).
They are pretty much an extension of the Bethesda press office (much like Vaatividya is for From Software). So I don't know who you're attempting to kid here.

These types of channels get preferential treatment and exclusive/early access for the type of work that they do (heap praise on a particular studio/franchise). If you're looking for anything impartial then those aren't the types of places to go looking. It is what it is.

Are you following? The guy implied it was a MS shill trying to advertise Stafield, that's disengenous. Are they Bethesda fans? Yes. Are Bethesda games worthy of a following? Yes. Are they MS shills? NO. Was the video an Ad? NO

Ok, then.

GHG

Gold Member
Are you following? The guy implied it was a MS shill trying to advertise Stafield, that's disengenous. Are they Bethesda fans? Yes. Are Bethesda games worthy of a following? Yes. Are they MS shills? NO. Was the video an Ad? NO

Ok, then.

Looking at their content they are very much acting marketing officers for all things Bethesda. There's nothing wrong with it since that's how they've built their following and I'm sure they are a valuable resource for fans of Bethesda's games, but let's call a spade a spade.

This would be like attempting to argue Vaati is impartial when it comes to souls games when the fact is that From Software use him for 3rd party marketing endeavours. All the video's on the channel you linked are of similar nature.

Topher

Gold Member

I don't disagree with any of that. As you showed, they admit right out of the gate that they are Bethesda aligned. But I watch channels like these all the time for games I'm playing because they give out good information. That's the advantage these sites have focusing on so few games. Now if the video above was a Starfield review then I could understand anyone scoffing at what would undoubtedly be a 10/10 rating. That video was more informative than promotional to me. These "10 things I wish I knew" videos are very common on youtube.

GHG

Gold Member
I don't disagree with any of that. As you showed, they admit right out of the gate that they are Bethesda aligned. But I watch channels like these all the time for games I'm playing because they give out good information. That's the advantage these sites have focusing on so few games. Now if the video above was a Starfield review then I could understand anyone scoffing at what would undoubtedly be a 10/10 rating. That video was more informative than promotional to me. These "10 things I wish I knew" videos are very common on youtube.

There's nothing wrong with the nature of the video, however attempting to claim that the channel covers a variety of games and that they can be seen to be impartial is laughable:

If you follow that channel, you'll see that he has a wide variety of games from different platforms that he has played exptensively and covered very nicely. He put in more than 100 hours in Starfield and feels the same way as most people who have invested in the game.

The above just isn't accurate in any way shape or form. Why even attempt to make it seem like the person/people running it are your average gamer?

The channel itself makes it clear they are compromised for goodness sake.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Looking at their content they are very much acting marketing officers for all things Bethesda. There's nothing wrong with it since that's how they've built their following and I'm sure they are a valuable resource for fans of Bethesda's games, but let's call a spade a spade.

This would be like attempting to argue Vaati is impartial when it comes to souls games when the fact is that From Software use him for 3rd party marketing endeavours. All the video's on the channel you linked are of similar nature.

So any game that has a following just means the followers are tribal and are trying to advertise it? Nintendo fans praising BOTW or TOTK should basically be ignored and we must presume it's just a mid game if you're not a Nintendo fan? because that's basically what you're implying.

The reason I posted the video to begin with was to help someone playing Starfield for the first time, there were many useful things I wish I knew before playing the game. I'm having a hard time understand what the problem is here.

GHG

Gold Member
So any game that has a following just means the followers are tribal and are trying to advertise it? Nintendo fans praising BOTW or TOTK should basically be ignored and we must presume it's just a mid game if you're not a Nintendo fan? because that's basically what you're implying.

The reason I posted the video to begin with was to help someone playing Starfield for the first time, there were many useful things I wish I knew before playing the game. I'm having a hard time understand what the problem is here.

I've made it clear that the issue is with your framing of the nature of their channel rather than the content itself.

JackMcGunns

I've made it clear that the issue is with your framing of the nature of their channel rather than the content itself.

And I made it clear that I was replying to someone that was playing the game and I was being helpful by giving him tips on the 10 basic things he should know about the game. It's a good guide for beginners of Stafield, not a Stafield review. Some looney then was like "OH MY... what is this advertisement" and here we are 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom