• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is the fifth fastest-selling game across Europe this year.

boom smile GIF

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
A single (song) needs to sell about 30,000 copies in a week to get to number 1 . To enter the 'top 10' it needs to sell about 12,000.

What is the return on games to enter the top 10?

Poltz

The data isn't quite like-for-like, as Starfield was technically available a week earlier for those who purchased the premium edition, so had a few extra days of sales. Starfield was also a day one Xbox Game Pass release, and that data isn't included here, either.
There needs to be a column for days of tracking to be honest.

Elios83

So it's behind every other major launch this year except for a remake and a game available on a single platform.
That counting the early access sales of the previous week in the same week and with no context given about the sales gap between what did better and what did worse.

No more comparison by Dring about how it sold like Diablo 4? :pie_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
I have no horse in this race, but the data is skewed from the start by almost a week of additional tracking. Sorry for asking questions about your favorite pink elephant.

But if the tracking period is different, how can the sales be compared with other games?

Diablo IV and Hogwarts Legacy also had Early Access periods :)

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Edit: hahahaha like clockwork.
Or one can argue that this thread is a perfect representation of this picture, you know. Doesn't matter due to staggered sales data anyway, everyone can push their own illusions to their hearts content. Because it is impossible to argue with the results when the goalposts are moved dynamically with every new sales-related tweet.

3pne4m.png

Nankatsu

Just wait for FIFA and Spider-man 2 to drop. That list is about to change big time.

Still I'm surprise TotK is not number uno.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

-EUROPE, where XS user base is smaller.

-Gamepass game day one.

-Better launch for a new IP, I repeat, in Europe for a game that does not come out on PS5.

-It surpasses, I repeat, in Europe, releases like FFXVI and RE4 Remake that, here said, are a tops sale and a comercial win games being IPs established and recognized .

The data from the USA and the rest of the world will be interesting to evaluate with a certain basis, but it does not seem like the commercial failure that some defend that Starfield has been. Not to mention that, as is usually the case for Bethesda games, the game could have good legs and maintain a sales rate over the long term, especially with DLC expansions and mods.

Last edited:
Many people were betting FF16 would outsell it because « who in their right mind would buy a game that’s on GamePass? »

Now the goalposts are going to grav drive to another galaxy because the game didn’t outsell Hogwarts, Diablo and Zelda, aka three gigantic licenses.
I’m used to the “Gamepass drives games sales”.

But now the narrative has changed, so which one is it?

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Many people were betting FF16 would outsell it because « who in their right mind would buy a game that’s on GamePass? »
From the same Dring ,we already know that in retail FF16 outsold Starfield during clean week 1 in UK, even if FF16 tracked less days. Chart above includes almost a week of EA sales on top of additional tracking days. Yay, finally, it sold more!

I mean, sheesh, you need to skew the whole chart to somehow place Starfield in top-5. And BG3 is not even here, because it's digital-only.

Impressive. Especiall if put in perspective that those are PC and Xbox only sales (while also being in Game Pass) and Xbox sales are not that big in Europe at all. I guess just like with Diablo, PC made the biggest chunk of sales there.

Last edited:

jm89

Assuming this is just part of his european sales report and his yet to report on hardware?

Normally he puts them into one.

L*][*N*K

Banned
So? All I was saying is that your point about "more consoles in the wild" is bullshit, because Forza Horizon 5 was available for wider audience when it was released...
You can never win this kind of arguments, one time someone brought up Smash Bros. Ultimate vs. Spider-man and they (I shit you not) compared the sales figures of those two games to Motorstorm on PS3, because the first one sold like 5 million and the 2nd one sold something like 700k even though there were more PS3s "in the wild" for the 2nd game, they don't want to believe that people actually like Starfield and they don't care if the NPCs that have nothing to do with the game look like shit.

Darsxx82

From the same Dring ,we already know that in retail FF16 outsold Starfield during clean week 1 in UK, even if FF16 tracked less days. Chart above includes almost a week of EA sales on top of additional tracking days. Yay, finally, it sold more!

I mean, sheesh, you need to skew the whole chart to somehow place Starfield in top-5. And BG3 is not even here, because it's digital-only.
???? He said RETAIL figures and the difference was short. He said that knowing the high% of digital sales of XS and PC sales Starfield should be above and closer to Diablo which, I remember, has a PS5 version.

Top Bottom