• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ozriel

M$FT
Your first sentence again is such PR speak, do you work for them or something? Have you played both games extensively and can provide context for the things you're saying? NMS was announced and released well before SF and has an insane amount of content and procedural planets to explore, you can even land absolutely anywhere. I've put a lot of hours in NMS and I have no doubt I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of SF, but this constant hyperbolic statements by people like you do nothing but injustice to both games.

I'm not sure your "No man's sky already did this though" commentary is any less ridiculous, tbh. Dramatically different games and you know this.

People keep pretending like this game is doing something new rather than simply building upon similar games that came before.

In your own words...
Have you played both games extensively and can provide context for the things you're saying?

MMaRsu

Banned
Apart from the fact both games are set in space, and you can mine resources through a gun, i dont really get the Starfield and No Mans Sky comparisons.

Starfield is a story driven RPG with handcrafted cities, settlements, bases, ships you can board, npc's with dialogue etc main and side missions, skill trees and leveling your player, etc, No Mans Sky is basically a survival game with almost no story.
The 1000 explorable planets in Starfield are just part of its side content, and that portion of Starfields side content is basically No Mans Sky's main game.

They have nothing in common.

I even had a discussion with a user on another board who claimed this game was like Cyberpunk 2077. Lmao.

That game doesnt even offer a quarter of what a BGS game offers.

DeaDPo0L84

I'm not sure your "No man's sky already did this though" commentary is any less ridiculous, tbh. Dramatically different games and you know this.

In your own words...
When I said that I meant on a basic level NMS has done most of what SF is aiming to accomplish. Is the scale, financial investment, team size, ambition drastically different which will result in a much different product, of course.

I was just speaking to the fact that some are pretending as if SF is the first of its kind to do what it's doing. To be fair videogames at this point are just building off each other.

But regardless I'm not trying to defend NMS, I like the game but I'm fairly certain I'm gonna love SF cause it's gonna check more boxes for what I enjoy.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

They have nothing in common.
Post like this are so disingenuous. So they literally have NOTHING in common, you can't think of one single thing? Even the very post you quoted named two very obvious things they have in common.

Why do people speak in absolutes when it comes to videogames? They're just games, it's okay to say there is cross over between various games, it won't diminish the one you're excited for.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
When I said that I meant on a basic level NMS has done most of what SF is aiming to accomplish. Is the scale, financial investment, team size, ambition drastically different which will result in a much different product, of course.

I was just speaking to the fact that some are pretending as if SF is the first of its kind to do what it's doing. To be fair videogames at this point are just building off each other.

But regardless I'm not trying to defend NMS, I like the game but I'm fairly certain I'm gonna love SF cause it's gonna check more boxes for what I enjoy.

No Man's Sky is described as an 'Action Adventure survival game'
Starfield is described as an 'Action Role Playing game'

It's not just about ambition or team size. they are games in different genres.

The guy you went off on simply said "Starfield isn't a normal game'. He never claimed no other game had space flight or mining with lasers or procedurally generated planets.

Last edited:
May His pocketbook overfloweth.
y7l93h0162111.jpg

Last edited:

SiahWester

I'm under the firm belief (based on evidence throughout life) that critics are mostly bought off. Now that Microsoft (one of the richest companies of all time) owns Bethesda there's no way they'd let the game get below an 80 or 90. They'll pay off who they need to. Even if it completely sucks it'll get decent scores. The only reviews that matter are from regular people and we'll have to wait longer for that.

Last edited:
I'm under the firm belief (based on evidence throughout life) that critics are mostly bought off. Now that Microsoft (one of the richest companies of all time) owns Bethesda there's no way they'd let the game get below an 80 or 90. They'll pay off who they need to. Even if it completely sucks it'll get decent scores. The only reviews that matter are from regular people and we'll have to wait longer for that.

960x0.png

SiahWester

Well that's not a huge title for them. I can't even find the budget they had for it. Look at the user scores too. They're much lower and it would shock me if MS didn't attempt to buy off/influence higher scores which got it into the mid 50s. If the game is that bad the the critic has to decide if its worth putting their reputation on the line as well. You can't give a broken game a 90 when its clearly broken. They lose their credibility that way. If its something subjective, like bad design, then they can get away with it.

Last edited:
I'm gonna guess 90-92 or so. It will review very well, but short of a 95+ 10's everywhere, TotK or BG3 level of reviews.

But this will actually serve the game well. It will be played heavily for the next decade+ with tons of new content and mods coming out, and will be a beloved game in the gaming community, always getting better. 92 will be seen as a low score, and not having to 'live up' to a 95+ will benefit the game overall.

Will be a much loved game, played for years, and win dozens of GOTY awards. Much more important than a few extra points on a review aggregator.

SiahWester

Jeff Gertsmann is a good example. He was fired from Gamespot for giving an honest review of Kayne and Lynch. Was a huge controversy back then and I have no doubt it's even worse today with the way things are. You could probably easily find other examples of this kind of behavior by Googling. Happens with all kinds of journalism nowadays.

MMaRsu

Banned
Jeff Gertsmann is a good example. He was fired from Gamespot for giving an honest review of Kayne and Lynch. Was a huge controversy back then and I have no doubt it's even worse today with the way things are. You could probably easily find other examples of this kind of behavior by Googling. Happens with all kinds of journalism nowadays.
Bro I asked about fucking Microsoft, not Kane & Lynch.
It was also something that didn't happen often at all, if you hear Jeff talking about how it all went down.

You make a claim like this you should back it up

Last edited:

SiahWester

Uh bro I am speculating obviously. I never said that was a fact, but it does happen so why would it be any different here? Especially now that games are bigger and more expensive. The stakes are much higher than back then. Why even have any trust is critic scores at all?

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Uh bro I am speculating obviously. I never said that was a fact, but it happens so why would it be any different here?
You literally said

They'll pay off who they need to.

That doesnt read like speculation at all.

Cmon man. If you have the receipts to back it up fine, when this is some baseless conjecture based on 1 event that happened over 10 years ago, I don't know how I or anyone else could take that serious.

Last edited:

SiahWester

You literally said

That doesnt read like speculation at all.

Cmon man. If you have the receipts to back it up fine, when this is some baseless conjecture based on 1 event that happened over 10 years ago, I don't know how I or anyone else could take that serious.

Yes, that is speculation on my behalf. You can't just take 1 sentence and not consider the context of the entire post.

Oh it still happens. Employers don't need to give you a reason to fire you in America. I'm not here to educate or argue with anyone. If you want to figure things out look up recent examples yourself or even talk to someone in journalism today. They'll have better insight I'm sure.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Uh bro I am speculating obviously. I never

Yes, that is speculation on my behalf. You can't just take 1 sentence and not consider the context of the entire post.

Oh it still happens. Employers don't need to give you a reason to fire you in America. I'm not here to educate or argue with anyone. If you want to figure things out look up recent examples yourself or even talk to someone in journalism today. They'll have better insight I'm sure.

Allright thats cool. Im not saying it doesnt happen, but we have no proof one way or another.

DeaDPo0L84

No Man's Sky is described as an 'Action Adventure survival game'
Starfield is described as an 'Action Role Playing game'

It's not just about ambition or team size. they are games in different genres.

The guy you went off on simply said "Starfield isn't a normal game'. He never claimed no other game had space flight or mining with lasers or procedurally generated planets.
I haven't and won't argue that they are the SAME game, they aren't. It's just the people acting as if literally no game before SF has done what it is doing, which is 100% verifiably no true. What does "not a normal game" even mean? His descriptors for such a game are 1) talking hundreds of hours of content 2) 1000 planets 3) so many game systems at play, I mean...I have played games with those very things. Me and you aren't even necessarily arguing against each other, I'm just a little taken back by the amount of comments by people pretending as if SF is a first for its genre, it's not.

But I hope and am willing to bet it will be the best to do it, I pre-ordered 2x Digital Premium editions plus upgraded my wife's PC with a 4090 literally cause of this game. So I am not trying to belittle the juggernaut that is SF, just pointing out some inaccuracies with some post.

Honestly though, who gives a shit. Me and you are both going to be playing the game tomorrow not worried one bit about this little back and forth. So I won't comment any further cause it's a waste of both of our times, although I am at work just trying to kill time sooooo....

Top Bottom