• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFOX 64 3D - July 14 in Japan (new site launch)

Yeah looks awesome.

Shame to see so many people dismissing the no online though. Like I said before it looks like they tried to improve the multiplayer a lot by making the environments a lot more varied and interesting so you could be sneaky. Obviously all that is wasted effort with no online support.

demonturkey said:
Yeah looks awesome.

Shame to see so many people dismissing the no online though. Like I said before it looks like they tried to improve the multiplayer a lot by making the environments a lot more varied and interesting so you could be sneaky. Obviously all that is wasted effort with no online support.

Yeah I will be playing zero multiplayer since there is no online. Such a dumbass move. How lazy can you get?

MAtgS

Uchip said:
what?
the fog on n64 was implemented to hide draw distance
im glad its gone
So having objects just pop out instead of slowly fading it is somehow better? Game still has shitty draw distance.

NEO0MJ

MAtgS said:
So having objects just pop out instead of slowly fading it is somehow better? Game still has shitty draw distance.

This is something that bothers me with Zelda, how things suddenly appear on screen.

Oxx

Starfox 64 (well, Lylat Wars) was the first game I had for the first games console I owned. The nostalgia factor is off the charts, but even I think I can wait for Nintendo's second version of the 3DS.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This and Kid Icarus make me wish Sin and Punishment 3D were on the works.

I blame all of you for this not actually happening.

Boney

Banned
Regulus Tera said:

I blame you for not buying 10k copies.

Azure J

Regulus Tera said:

Hey man, I bought S&P and love 3D shmups in the vein of it & StarFox, so don't go haphazardly saying things like that about everyone. :p

I'm still a bit skeptical about how Kid Icarus will control. Maybe the SF way of controlling fits the 3DS better than having people control the character/ship and crosshairs separately.

Naked Snake said:
I have the DS Lite rumble cart (that goes into the GBA slot), the games I have that work with it are Elite Beat Agents and Metroid Pinball. Did other games support it?

List of compatible games
This is the currently known list of Nintendo DS games (in alphabetical order) that support the Nintendo DS Rumble Pak. None of them require the Rumble Pak. Even if inserted, most games will require the feature to be enabled in their respective options menus before the Rumble Pak will be enabled.

Air Traffic Chaos
Akagawa Jirou Mystery: Yasoukyoku
Animal Boxing
Bomberman 2 (Custom Battler Bomberman in Japan)
Club House Games (42 All-Time Classics in Europe)
Custom Robo Arena
Diddy Kong Racing DS
Dirt 2
Elite Beat Agents
Ferrari Challenge
GRID
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Higurashi no Naku koro ni Kizuna: Dai-Ichi-Kan - Tatari
Higurashi no Naku koro ni Kizuna: Dai-Ni-Kan - Sou
Higurashi no Naku koro ni Kizuna: Dai-San-Kan - Rasen
Iron Man
Jam with the Band (Daigasso! Band Brothers DX in Japan)
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
Magnetica (Actionloop)
Mahjong Fight Club DS: Wi-Fi Taiou
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (Feature removed from US version)
Metroid Prime Hunters (Rumble Pak came with some of the US version)
Metroid Prime Pinball (Rumble Pak came with US version)
Moon
Need For Speed: Undercover
Need For Speed: Nitro
Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2
Orcs & Elves
Picross DS
Power Pro Kun Pocket 9
Power Pro Kun Pocket 10
Professional Fisherman's Tour: Northern Hemisphere
Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary
Race Driver: Create and Race
Sega Superstars Tennis
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Space Invaders Extreme
Space Invaders Extreme 2
Star Fox Command
Star Trek: Tactical Assault
Super Princess Peach
The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning
Theta
Tomb Raider: Underworld
TrackMania DS
Treasure Gaust: Gaust Diver (Deep Purple)
Treasure Gaust: Gaust Diver (Crimson Red)
V8 SuperCars Australia 3
Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise
Wario: Master of Disguise
Wild West, The
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008

Space Invaders in particular is nice as it gives it a bit of a Rez atmosphere as it pulses with the music in-game.

I have the original version that came with Metroid Prime Pinball. I'd love to get the compact DS Lite version someday.

Futureman

Isn't the story mode in this game like ~5 hours? I remember the game being pretty short when I beat it on N64.

Basically, OOT was easily worth the repurchase even though I already beat it. Star Fox... isn't looking like it.

Oxx

I thought it was about an hour to go through the story mode. I guess the multiple paths make it a bit more acceptable.

AbsoluteZero said:
Space Invaders in particular is nice as it gives it a bit of a Rez atmosphere as it pulses with the music in-game.

I have the original version that came with Metroid Prime Pinball. I'd love to get the compact DS Lite version someday.

Wow that's a big list! Too bad I don't use my DSL anymore, if only the rumble pack worked with 3DS.

gwarm01

Futureman said:
Isn't the story mode in this game like ~5 hours? I remember the game being pretty short when I beat it on N64.

Basically, OOT was easily worth the repurchase even though I already beat it. Star Fox... isn't looking like it.

I feel like it was closer to one hour, hell, maybe even less just to run through it once. The game has several different paths with different events that occur though, so that gives you incentive to play more.

It might be a hard sale to someone who isn't really into this type of game, but it's easily a day one purchase for me. $40 is probably half of what it cost back on the N64. Not that I would know, seeing as how I was 12 at the time.

Stylo

gwarm01 said:
I feel like it was closer to one hour, hell, maybe even less just to run through it once. The game has several different paths with different events that occur though, so that gives you incentive to play more.

It might be a hard sale to someone who isn't really into this type of game, but it's easily a day one purchase for me. $40 is probably half of what it cost back on the N64. Not that I would know, seeing as how I was 12 at the time.

It's cheaper, has insanely high replay value and it's portable.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Even back in the day, I was disappointed by SF64 when I first played it. I could tell the level design was inferior and lacked the mentality of the original team. People seem to forget 64 didn't have the input of the east-west collaboration of the original game.

Starfox SNES had spooky, intricate level design that made a lot of use of the idea of 3D geometry rotating and shifting in space. 64 copied the idea in an inferior way and diluted the stage list with the all range stages that I found dull, and the also dull tank stages. Its art direction had textures, but wasn't the same.

Sound quality was better but the music composition was also more generic and not memorable, to me. World themes in Starfox were classics.

Stylo

Kaijima said:
Even back in the day, I was disappointed by SF64 when I first played it. I could tell the level design was inferior and lacked the mentality of the original team. People seem to forget 64 didn't have the input of the east-west collaboration of the original game.

Starfox SNES had spooky, intricate level design that made a lot of use of the idea of 3D geometry rotating and shifting in space. 64 copied the idea in an inferior way and diluted the stage list with the all range stages that I found dull, and the also dull tank stages. Its art direction had textures, but wasn't the same.

Sound quality was better but the music composition was also more generic and not memorable, to me. World themes in Starfox were classics.

They are two different beasts. I'll agree on the musical front. 64 is an arcade shooter at heart and it pulls it off masterfully. The original is more based on evasive movement rather than shooting and high scores.

gwarm01

Stylo said:
They are two different beasts. I'll agree on the musical front. 64 is an arcade shooter at heart and it pulls it off masterfully. The original is more based on evasive movement rather than shooting and high scores.

It's surprising how different the games are to play since they look so similar superficially. I could never really get into the original game, while I absolutely loved 64. Meanwhile my friend is the exact opposite.

Btw, absolutely love your avatar. When are we gonna get a Jet Grind Radio 3D?!

Oni Link 666 said:
No. They actually got the old voice actors to do new voice overs. I don't think they have new lines though. Everything I've heard so far sounds like lines from the old game.
Apparently when you shoot Falco he says "Hey genius, I'm on your side" rather than "Hey Einstein, I'm on your side" but otherwise from whats know its the same. I'll laugh
and cry
if they replace "Dang, I'm hit" with "Damn, I'm hit"

Luigi87 said:
Walkthrough of the Asteroid level featuring all the re-recorded Team Star Fox voices.
I knew it as soon as I heard the "do a barrel roll" at the conferance but it seems to me like a secret Nintendo is trying to keep (due to nostalgia*). Quite the contrast when OOT 3D is basically strict orders of "sound the same" while this is basically a bit more do what you want.

*-Peoples voices do change over 15 years (I recall David Hayter saying its hard for him to do the Solid Snake voice these days but can't find a link) and their acting does too.

I do really like the medal requirements though. Wonder if they'll be split between normal and expert (as expert is easier to hit the medal requirements due to having more stuff to shoot). But the length argument, its like Pilotwings Resort. You can see it all in 3 hours or spend far longer mastering it all getting all Gold medels on Expert.

Izayoi

Banned
Barkley's Justice said:
keep buying that old shit! got yall trained.
You know it. Can't wait for this.

Futureman said:

Star Fox is not a game you play just once.

Oni Link 666 said:
They actually got the old voice actors to do new voice overs. I don't think they have new lines though. Everything I've heard so far sounds like lines from the old game.

Wait, what? Where did you hear/read this?

Chao

Wow, the music sounds so much better in the remake, also the new voice overs are cool. And I'm glad Slippy sounds like the pussy he/it is, instead of that dorky voice they gave him on Starfox Adventures and Assault

I am ashamed to admit that I only got to 2 alternative levels and never beat the game except for the easy way. I still loved replaying the game despite never figuring how to branch off on the first mission. When I get this version ill make sure to play all the levels, by checking out guides online.

I somehow managed to unlock the on-foot mode in the original game when I was a youngun, (All medals hard mode, I believe) but I doubt I could do it again.

Chao

Peppy definitely sounds like... well, Peppy. Fox too. "SORRY TO JET, BUT I AM IN A HURRY" sounds pretty much the same.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I LOST TO THIS SCUUUUUUUM!

They should put the original Star Fox running at 60 fps as an unlock in this game. That would make me buy this day 1. Now... I'm not so sure I'll buy it. I always enjoyed the original more than 64, though this remake looks quite nice.

Sadly the 64 voice clips are not included. I'm afraid im gonna have to pass. Half of the reason I play SF64 is to hear those classic cheesy one liners and it is the most important "feature" to me. Even if they are the same VO actors, they have aged and the lines don't sound the same.

* Is dead serious

Izayoi

Banned
XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
Half of the reason I play SF64 is to hear those classic cheesy one liners and it is the most important "feature" to me.
The script is completely unchanged, though. :|

FyreWulff

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
Sadly the 64 voice clips are not included. I'm afraid im gonna have to pass. Half of the reason I play SF64 is to hear those classic cheesy one liners and it is the most important "feature" to me. Even if they are the same VO actors, they have aged and the lines don't sound the same.

* Is dead serious

Are you sure of this? They could just be using the original uncompressed recordings, like they did for Perfect Dark XBLA.

Because boy were they compressed in the n64 version.

WillyFive

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:

* Is dead serious

I was confused why they decided to redo all the lines again with the same actors. But they sure showed a lot more effort into this game than the Zelda OoT3D team.

Also, the sound for this game is amazing.

Chao

FyreWulff said:
Are you sure of this? They could just be using the original uncompressed recordings, like they did for Perfect Dark XBLA.

Because boy were they compressed in the n64 version.

No, they re recorded them.

3DS
N64

Edit: But they did a fantastic job, you can hear a different entonation on some lines, but most of them sound just like the N64 game.

FyreWulff

Re-record seems fine. At least Nintendo actually bothered to go back and hire the original VAs at least. I wish they had been kept for the future games, although Seavor did a pretty good Fox voice.

Boney

Banned
Izayoi said:
It looks better than the N64 version, I know.

Point still stands, though.
Played it 2 weeks ago, doesn't look anything like that. 64 version looks and runs much better.

Top Bottom