• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFOX 64 3D - July 14 in Japan (new site launch)

_dementia said:
No online seems like a huge oversight
Yeah, it's pretty dumb. I had a blast with multi with the new map at E3, especially with the face feature. But maybe they're protecting us from the eventual penis shot win cams...

I might be the only one left in the thread still buying the game. I only played multiplayer on the N64 version a handful of times because it was so bland it just felt like an afterthought. The arena were barren and games ended up being people constantly Flipping over each other again and again.

Starfox was always an arcadey shoot 'em up for me. Its like complaining that Sin & Punishment 2 doesn't have an online mode.

Mafro

AbsoluteZero said:
I might be the only one left in the thread still buying the game. I only played multiplayer on the N64 version a handful of times because it was so bland it just felt like an afterthought. The arena were barren and games ended up being people constantly Flipping over each other again and again.

Starfox was always an arcadey shoot 'em up for me. Its like complaining that Sin & Punishment 2 doesn't have an online mode.
Yeah that's exactly how I feel. I don't care about the multiplayer in this at all, in the original game it just felt like an afterthought. The "no sale!" overreactions on here are a bit bizarre. I could understand it if the multiplayer was a big part of the game like in Mario Kart...but it's not.

Veal

Thoraxes said:
I guess i'm one of 5 people who didn't care about Starfox's multiplayer and really don't care that there's no online.
Honestly, people would probably play it for the first two weeks after it came out, and then the online numbers would greatly dwindle from there.
I'm buying this for the single player, because, hell, the single-player in this game is amazing, and I loved SF64.
+1 but it's still a shame that they are putting effort into the multiplayer and that effort will most likely be overlooked. I think to myself, some leaderboards would be nice, but then I remember that I don't ever play these games enough to where I even factor on them!

dk_

Has Reggie been questioned about the no-online-for-Starfox-thing at E3? Don't understand that decision. :-/

Although I played the multiplayer a lot on the N64 I did so as a poor child with not many games.
I also played it just by myself. Sometimes.
Not once do I remember finding it actually enjoyable though. Not bothered about it now not being online honestly. Can only hope strong sales of this prompts an original installment that features co-op. The camera mode is very cool in theory but can you actually imagine it online? Yeah no thanks.......

Izayoi

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Even if it was there, I wouldn't play the online. Starfox doesn't even need multiplayer.
Yup. I see myself losing a lot of sleep trying to perfect the single player.

Stylo

Okay. This just shits all over Ocarina. How is the game that Nintendo celebrates the most besides SMB upstaged by this?

RaidenZR

I really want this sooner than we're getting it in the US. I loved playing the levels over and over just to see how high my kill count could be. The summer this game came out, me and my best friend would just pick a stage and for a few days in a row we'd try to keep outscoring the other. It was a fantastic, self-imposed challenge that made us develop all sorts of strategies at becoming more efficient and cutting through enemy patterns. Just when one of us would think we had for sure figured out the intended way to deal with a particular stage's enemy patterns, the other person would somehow find a few extra kills somewhere.

So much potential with the shooter-core that is Star Fox. Nintendo has totally squandered this franchise with weird-ass tangents. The DS one was okay, but very forgettable. I know I'm stating the obvious but we need a new Star Fox on 3DS in the vein of the SNES and N64 titles. Please Nintendo.

Randomizer

ShockingAlberto said:
The water reflects everything above it

That's not a new technique or anything but I still went ":O"
Yeah the original game has that too. I think it looks good but why is everyone saying it is a better remake than OOT? They are both enhanced ports with completely new textures and some new models, don't know why people think this is a better they are exactly the same.

Luigi87

RaidenZR said:
So much potential with the shooter-core that is Star Fox. Nintendo has totally squandered this franchise with weird-ass tangents. The DS one was okay, but very forgettable. I know I'm stating the obvious but we need a new Star Fox on 3DS in the vein of the SNES and N64 titles. Please Nintendo.

And if I had my way, they would do that, as well as make it a sequel to the N64 game, omitting Adventures and on from the canon.

FyreWulff

Multiplayer was so obviously tacked on to the original game to give people with 4 controllers something to play

Online would have been dead after 2 days anyway.

LOCK ON

U TURN

LOCK ON

U TURN

LOCK ON

LOOP DE LOOP

GOTO LOCK ON

Izayoi

Banned
Stylo said:
Okay. This just shits all over Ocarina. How is the game that Nintendo celebrates the most besides SMB upstaged by this?
Ocarina is a HUGE game. Have you played it yet? It looks fucking fantastic. A lot of the pre-release shots look nowhere near as good as the final game.

RaidenZR

FyreWulff said:
Multiplayer was so obviously tacked on to the original game to give people with 4 controllers something to play

Online would have been dead after 2 days anyway.

LOCK ON

U TURN

LOCK ON

U TURN

LOCK ON

LOOP DE LOOP

GOTO LOCK ON

Yeah it was decent for the time (same-room multiplayer and all) and a good way to break up Mario Kart sessions. It was at its most fun when team-ups would emerge and be betrayed in mere minutes.

Izayoi

Banned
RaidenZR said:
Yeah it was decent for the time (same-room multiplayer and all) and a good way to break up Mario Kart sessions. It was at its most fun when team-ups would emerge and be betrayed in mere minutes.
Ah, the "truce" that always ended in a real life wrestling match.

Good times.

Azure J

StarFox 64 played such a massive role in my gaming life growing up and seeing the treatment its getting in this 3DS version is just... Wow. :O

Where do I send my money and first born child again? :lol

Edit: Holy shit Zoness. :eek:

HOLY SHIT DAT AREA 6 REMIX :O

New trailer added to OP. Really looks great. I want to preorder it already but Amazon don't allow ordering it yet (while strangely allowing preordering of games without a release date like Super Mario 3DS).

FyreWulff

RaidenZR said:

That'd be how I would essentially describe SF64 multiplayer. It was usually played between switching from Mario Kart to Goldeneye while people went to get drinks/food or right after someone Game Over'd in the single player. I cannot remember a single time where we specifically went "Hey, we should totally play 4-player Starfox!" and make it the focus of the night.

hatchx

Banned
FyreWulff said:
That'd be how I would essentially describe SF64 multiplayer. It was usually played between switching from Mario Kart to Goldeneye while people went to get drinks/food or right after someone Game Over'd in the single player. I cannot remember a single time where we specifically went "Hey, we should totally play 4-player Starfox!" and make it the focus of the night.

I always hated the four player Star Fox. The levels were barren. The 1-Player all-range mode controls didn't translate.

It's really too bad too, because the idea to Star Fox would be great for multiplayer or co-op. The Namco Starfox came close.

RaidenZR

hatchx said:
I always hated the four player Star Fox. The levels were barren. The 1-Player all-range mode controls didn't translate.

It's really too bad too, because the idea to Star Fox would be great for multiplayer or co-op. The Namco Starfox came close.

There are small pieces of all the Star Fox games that have come after the N64 title (and I'll include Star Fox 2 for SNES in here as well) that could be folded into a sequel that was treated properly and done justice on the 3DS. I really don't see why Nintendo hasn't let an internal team take another crack at it in the 14 years since SF64. As a series, it's totally worth it. Hell, I think I would have rather have seen Sakurai handle this franchise than resuscitate a weird stretching of Kid Icarus.

This game looks really nice. Dem shaders.

Regulus Tera said:
Those Asteroids... :O

They are using the original voices from the N64 game, right? Right?

No. They actually got the old voice actors to do new voice overs. I don't think they have new lines though. Everything I've heard so far sounds like lines from the old game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ironic that the game which launched 'controller Rumble' will be shipping without rumble for its remake.

Screw the Multiplayer garbage, slap a rumble pack onto that cartridge!

Medalion

Banned
I don't want a portable with a rumble... especially since the 3DS is so costly at the moment

that rumble comes when you don't expect it, oh shit that scared me and it slips on the floor and smashes

Nice, $250 more in Nintendo's pockets

Uchip

Banned
Luigi87 said:
Holy hell that looks damn good.
*sigh* September...

Ugh, I don't want to even think about even trying to unlock Expert Mode right now >.<

unlocking it is fine
getting all the medals on expert mode though
that was a bitch and a half

MAtgS

So am I the only bothered by the how quickly objects pop-in? SF64 had like the best use of fog in gaming ever & the lack of it is overwhelming the textures upgrade IMO.

Medalion

Banned
Nostalgia or the fact it added "atmosphere" to a game

Well dammmmn a lot of N64 games a lot of that "atmosphere" going on

I have the DS Lite rumble cart (that goes into the GBA slot), the games I have that work with it are Elite Beat Agents and Metroid Pinball. Did other games support it?

Ulthwe

[dream]I'm crossing my fingers for a surprise announcement from Nintendo, releasing the original SNES Starfox as a 3D Classic on the same day as this.[/dream]

Top Bottom