• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFOX 64 3D - July 14 in Japan (new site launch)

Chao

345triangle said:
so, anyone pick this up today? i did, but my 3DS battery died in sleep mode on the way home so i'm waiting for it to charge :mad:
I would if I lived in Japan. Release date for Europe was September I think. Post your impressions!

my impressions so far are that i like the way that the reverse of the cover art is drawn so that the characters' faces poke through the holes in the case plastic!

345triangle said:
my impressions so far are that i like the way that the reverse of the cover art is drawn so that the characters' faces poke through the holes in the case plastic!

why was Nintendo so lazy that they skipped this on Zelda

hope you get it charged so so you can tell us more about gameplay :D

345triangle said:
Ha, that's a nice inclusion

345triangle said:

Is there an option for English language voice acting?

Cheesemeister said:
Is there an option for English language voice acting?

don't think so - the only options in the options menu are switch the laser and brake buttons around, invert the stick and delete all save data (uh, rejoice i guess). whole thing's in japanese, as far as i can tell, which would be consistent with every single 3DS game i've played except dead or alive dimensions.

played through the first few stages and my impressions are REALLY good. star fox 64 is one of the few 64 games i have any nostalgia for at all, and this remake more than does it justice - controls are spot-on, visuals are awesome (while preserving the original style) and the 3D is easily the most impressive implementation of the effect i've seen on 3DS, with lasers flying out of the screen etc (the U-turn effect is particularly cool). i would say this should be day one for anyone into arcade shooters, the series or the game itself.

Oro

The hell? The game came out already? Damn, that slipped right past me. Why must the US wait 2 months...

mutsu

I need to pick this up, but I need to finish Tales of the Abyss and Zelda OoT 3D first... TotA is sooooo long and it's taking forever with the pace that I am moving at (about 1.5 hour per day).

Kerrby

Banned
Oro said:
The hell? The game came out already? Damn, that slipped right past me. Why must the US wait 2 months...

I don't understand this at all. Especially with basically no games on the 3DS and bomba level sales figures you'd think they'd be getting everything out as quickly as possible.

mutsu

Kerrby said:
I don't understand this at all. Especially with basically no games on the 3DS and bomba level sales figures you'd think they'd be getting everything out as quickly as possible.

Getting everything out as quickly as possible, and then let it hang dry for an extended period of time?

They do need to space out the releases you know, especially when the 3rd parties does not seem to be joining in on the party....

Kerrby

Banned
mutsu said:
Getting everything out as quickly as possible, and then let it hang dry for an extended period of time?

They do need to space out the releases you know, especially when the 3rd parties does not seem to be joining in on the party....

Yeah... space out their releases. 3 months of nothing, then Zelda, two months of nothing, then Star Fox, then a few months of nothing until Mario.

Yep... they really do need to space out their releases.

mutsu

Kerrby said:
Yeah... space out their releases. 3 months of nothing, then Zelda, two months of nothing, then Star Fox, then a few months of nothing until Mario.

Yep... they really do need to space out their releases.

Yeah I know it sucks to be in anywhere besides Japan where the releases are what I call acceptable. But that's kind of the thing that happens when western developers are just not very keen on developing on any handhelds that are not Apples nowadays.

It's just unreasonable to expect Nintendo to be releasing a game every month to sustain the handheld.

Jackano

mutsu said:
It's just unreasonable to expect Nintendo to be releasing a game every month to sustain the handheld.
That's not. Maybe not each month, but each 6 or 7 weeks.
First party releases each 2-3 months is a problem they had since the N64 days. Funny we are talking about it again after OoT3D and Starfox! They promised many times after the N64 to do better than that, and Iwata repeated it again for the 3DS specifycally. They have many more people working on software those days than ever.

In a matter of fact, when you look at Japan, we have Nintendogs, Steel Diver, Pilotwings, OoT and Starfox (5 games) for march, april, may, june and july. That's one release per month!
So they are actually doing it, but, for the US and Europe, there is always some delays at some points because they know there will be less games at the end (particularly with NoA :lol).

Beside, I have the game now, played it a bit, not so much to say, you know, it's Starfox 64; I wasn't very much impressed with the 3D so far, but I just played for an hour, stuck at Zoness boss, then accidentely restarted the game back to Corneria ^^
The music is what changed the most for me until now, not clearly better but not worst either. It sounds different, I don't know if at the end, I will prefer the orginal or this one.

I will try to take a good picture of the packaging, feel free to ask if you have some specific questions.
Finally, I have the Club Nintendo (JP of course) code so if a J-GAFer wants it... PM me it's free but if someone have a European code I will like it :)

man this game is full-on awesome, cannot possibly recommend it enough - probably the most fun i've had with my 3DS since launch, and i wasn't exactly complaining before. THIS is how you do a remake.

Jackano

For me:
I don't really like the multiplayer; I didn't like it either on N64 so... Of course they improved the maps, and they add bots. I only played once and un-intentionnally activated the gyro controls, by the time I found myself able to control my arwing, Peppy had kill Falco and Slippy and I just shooted at him once and won :lol
I can't say so much about the multiplayer, I will try to play it with coworkers but yesterday, I didn't manage to get it work between my JP 3DS and my PAL 3DS. Maybe I wasn't in the right menu or maybe here isn't a DS Download play with one cardridge, or maybe it is region locked.

3D: Like multiplayer, I'm not sure my advise will be interesting for many of you. I'm convinced by the 3D in general and I really liked it in OoT3D, I can't turn this thing off now I tried it. But in the other hand, I'm not impressed with it. I never seen a 3D movie so the 3DS was my first 3D experience and it is pretty much my standard. Starfox doesn't show more impressive effects to me than OoT or Nintendogs, and, worst part, I found myself really nervous while playing, and I move along with the system when the action is hot, so, you know, sometimes I loose the 3D focus :/

I may look not really positive on this 2 particular topics but make no mistake: I love Starfox 64 and I'm enjoying the game! It's a pretty good remake, but after completing Master Quest, I'm still thinking OoT3D was a slighty better remake. Will see if after completing Starfox I will revise this judgement, but I don't think so, Expert mode and medals in Starfox in not the kind of challenge I like compared to MQ.

Oh, and on the music topic, the Starfox extra credits in a piano track, while OoT had the full orchestral track. So OoT win here too :) Jackano out.

Misuta

How do you like the new voices? I have seen the credits on youtube and all VAs were changed. I thought Nintendo would keep the same old people as before.

For all who are interested in the names:

• Takashi Oohara
  • Kunpei Sakamoto
  • Kei Hayami
  • Kousuke Takaguchi
  • Tsuguo Mogami
  • Atsushi Abe

Too bad I don't know who voices who.

Effect

Jackano said:
For me:
I don't really like the multiplayer; I didn't like it either on N64 so... Of course they improved the maps, and they add bots. I only played once and un-intentionnally activated the gyro controls, by the time I found myself able to control my arwing, Peppy had kill Falco and Slippy and I just shooted at him once and won :lol
I can't say so much about the multiplayer, I will try to play it with coworkers but yesterday, I didn't manage to get it work between my JP 3DS and my PAL 3DS. Maybe I wasn't in the right menu or maybe here isn't a DS Download play with one cardridge, or maybe it is region locked.

Had not realized that the game's multiplayer had bots. This most likely will be the only way and reason I play this part of the game. Does anyone know or knows from playing the Japanese version how many levels of difficulty there when it comes to setting options for the bots? That is if you even can. Can you set a number of rounds to play? Other options?

Top Bottom