• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk (Closed) Beta Testing thread of impressions and questions.

Just played my first match. All I did was mess around in the Hawks for a bit. Flying in Warhawk felt so much smoother than in this game. Dunno why they changed the flight physics, but damn, a Warhawk felt agile, nimble, and controlled tightly. Something is off about the way the Hawks control. Took me a bit to get used to NOT double-tapping R2 for boost, for one thing. Some other things that I noticed/have questions about:

- I really miss missiles and rockets casting light onto the environment around them. I don't know the technical term for it, but it was in Warhawk but it's not in this game.

- After a teammate builds a jeep garage, how do I build a second jeep without building an entirely new garage. I think it's possible, because there's a white "ghost" of a jeep, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

- Jetpacks. Dammit. I hated their introduction in Operation: Falling Star and I don't think I'll like them in this game. Totally breaks infantry movement.

- Am I always gathering energy or do I have to remain next to the energy reactor thing?

- Is hitting the left stick + X the only way to break lock-ons?

And that guy is right. The framerate is atrocious, especially when you're flying. I don't know how someone can not notice it.

NeoGAF. Believe... server is back online!
- After a teammate builds a jeep garage, how do I build a second jeep without building an entirely new garage. I think it's possible, because there's a white "ghost" of a jeep, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.
Goto the little monitor and a prompt comes up. Press square to have a new vehicle constructed.
- Am I always gathering energy or do I have to remain next to the energy reactor thing?
As long as you're near the home base territory or near a Pod Beacon you're Gathering. Breaking blue barrels works also.
Check settings, you can adjust it I think.
And that guy is right. The framerate is atrocious, especially when you're flying. I don't know how someone can not notice it.
It's already been mentioned as part of the beta process. No one is bringing it up as a big problem on the boards so far at all.
Took me a bit to get used to NOT double-tapping R2 for boost, for one thing. Some other things
wat

Thrakier

Just played my first match. All I did was mess around in the Hawks for a bit. Flying in Warhawk felt so much smoother than in this game. Dunno why they changed the flight physics, but damn, a Warhawk felt agile, nimble, and controlled tightly. Something is off about the way the Hawks control.

I rather think that this is a performance/framerate issue as well. The Hawks itself control like in Warhawk, at least in pro mode. At least that's what I'm guessing because it's just so hard to get a feel for it @ estimated 23FPS...

In Warhawk, there were two boost modes for the Warhawk and Nemesis. Pressing and holding R2 made your jet fly a bit faster than normal, while hitting R2 twice gave it a super-boost, complete with blue flames and everything. In Starhawk, super-boost is engaged every time I press R2. I guess the normal flight speed is increased from what it was in Warhawk or something. Just feels odd.

DireStr8s

Just played my first match. All I did was mess around in the Hawks for a bit. Flying in Warhawk felt so much smoother than in this game. Dunno why they changed the flight physics, but damn, a Warhawk felt agile, nimble, and controlled tightly. Something is off about the way the Hawks control. Took me a bit to get used to NOT double-tapping R2 for boost, for one thing. Some other things that I noticed/have questions about:

- I really miss missiles and rockets casting light onto the environment around them. I don't know the technical term for it, but it was in Warhawk but it's not in this game.

- Jetpacks. Dammit. I hated their introduction in Operation: Falling Star and I don't think I'll like them in this game. Totally breaks infantry movement.

Ah, fuck. One of my favorite aspects.

Yep. I don't know if there will be a Chaff pickup in the beta, alot of Starhawk pickups are not in the beta but have said to be implemented.

A MUST-READ STRATEGY PRIMER FOR STARHAWK PLAYERS

Awesome nuggets:
Did you know you can spawn a building while in flight in the hawk? Takes practice but if you fly low enough you can drop an auto turret in the middle of the enemy's base.
Did you know you the auto turret has a weak spot? Look for the center of the auto turret and hit it with a sniper rifle for a 1 shot kill, or aim carefully with your rifle to take it down quickly
Did you know you can change positions in the Razorback 4x4? Simply hold X and select the position just like you would have done in Warhawk. Why the change? Well, in Warhawk the game had to delay a dismount to see if you were pressing the button or holding it to change seats. By moving the change seats button, you can dismount as fast as you can mount.
Did you know you can use a jetpack to knife a mech driver? Sweetest kill in the game.

Ok thanks. I don't really need the code since my PS3 is in a constant death cycle (I've fixed it about 9 times already) and I pretty much only use it for buying PSP games.

I will give the code to the first poster who can answer this:
What's the name of the famous punk band whose debut album was called Arise! ?

Donos

got a code from Platformnation. Where do i put it in? Tried it at the store but no luck.

Nvm. Had to change to my US account.

first thing i noticed: melee is overpowered

They really need to make the Mech powerful again. Mech were nerfed because of Mech base-raping in 1.0.3. If a guy is in a jetpack + rocket launcher is facing a Mech, Mech is losing. Mechs cannot target anything G2A, and that makes no sense.

Ok thanks. I don't really need the code since my PS3 is in a constant death cycle (I've fixed it about 9 times already) and I pretty much only use it for buying PSP games.

I will give the code to the first poster who can answer this:
What's the name of the famous punk band whose debut album was called Arise! ?

hey i listen to some punk and some of my friends are into Amebix and Discharge and crusty stuff like that.. i enjoy some Tragedy every now and then myself.

can i haz code? oh just one :(

hey i listen to some punk and some of my friends are into Amebix and Discharge and crusty stuff like that.. i enjoy some Tragedy every now and then myself.

can i haz code? oh just one :(
Only had one :(
TTOB said that he can't get it wokring. It might be because it's an EU code. If he can't get it working I'll PM you the code.

They really need to make the Mech powerful again. Mech were nerfed because of Mech base-raping in 1.0.3. If a guy is in a jetpack + rocket launcher is facing a Mech, Mech is losing. Mechs cannot target anything G2A, and that makes no sense.

I agree that rocket fairies are a pain in the butt, but I don't know if the solution is making the Hawk more powerful in response to that. Perhaps just allowing hawks to lock missiles onto rocket fairies while on the ground.

Hawks really feel lame in this game.

Two flight speeds is lame. Starfox style canned missile scrubbing is terrible. Please let me fly my plane. They need to give the hawks more munitions to be effective here. A nice bunker buster would really make them worthwhile for teams that love to build walls around the flag with turrets inside. I know they're just designing a good killbox, but it makes for the opposite of the fast paced insanity of Warhawk. Especially since we have to indulge the teams Starcraft fancy and mine resources to obtain good gear.

Increasing the Hawks stopping power on the ground would be super handy to drop in and clear out enemy fortifications as well. Perhaps make the Hawks gun more powerful, but have crap accuracy on the ground. This way players will be forced to use them to take down enemy structures rather than land, squish, and move out.

Sound in the game is terrible as well. Everything is very muted and indistinct. Warhawk had exceptional and vivid sound effects. I've had Hawks land behind me and kill me for free, because the sound is terrible. Go watch Robocop guys. When a Hawk lands I should hear something HUGE hitting the ground. It should sound like ED-209 is trying to sneak up on me.

Include a more distinct transformation sound to tip off players.

The screech of a low flying Warhawk tearing through the sky is also missing and would be a good give away.

Health regeneration is too generous.

I'm really hating the new gun play. I'd be willing to accept your dudebro style shooting, in exchange for captivating air combat and useful aircraft. If I have to learn how to play another crappy third person shooter, then Normal Flight scrubs from Warhawk should be required to learn how to fly a damn plane. I'll take that trade.

Character movement speed needs to be controlled all on the thumb stick. I cannot think of any situation where I would not want to be running top speed, and since there's no player run stamina bar to validate the existence of this superfluous button press; then get rid of it.

Different ≠ Better here.

The game is definitely beta material. I'm not going to knock it for that, but in it's present state I'm content to wait for a price drop on it, or perhaps even pass. I still have Warhawk, as broke as certain aspects of it may be - I got 569 hours of love poured into that game. :p

Raoh

Thanks for the link!

How long did it take them to get back to you?

I posted a request on the 7th, got the code on the 8th, I just didn't know it was waiting for me as I only just now checked back today. They PM it to your playstation.com inbox

Is there a clan for this game or is it disabled in the beta?

I'm getting sick of playing with randoms who are every bit as stupid as randoms in Warhawk, only worse since I now need to rely on team work to accomplish anything. This is not to say Warhawk doesn't require teamwork. It does! HEAVILY. Where Warhawk doesn't require teamwork is in my ability to unload a magazine full of bullets into a baddy. Just knowing where the pick-up is to do so.

Visual design is really pissing me off as well.

Warhawk was FANTASTIC!

Everything about Eucadians was the opposite of everything about Chernovans. You couldn't possibly mistake the two. In Starhawk, everything is METAL AND CONCRETE! So enemies can drop gun turrets in your base and it's not immediately evident until the damned thing starts shooting at you.

There's a lot of pretty graphical stuff going on, but none of it adds to the game play experience; only detracts. So much orange, brown, gray, and green.

All the build and battle stuff is WAYYYY too armored. It takes forever and a day to blow something up, and without plentiful weapon pick ups this is a gigantic pain in the balls.

Put the seat switching for jeeps BACK ON SQUARE.

I accidentally dropped a spawn beacon trying to quickly select the sniper tower. I couldn't reclaim it, and I couldn't destroy it to get rid of it. Needs to be fixed. Everything. EVERTYHING needs to be reclaimable.

Oh and you now can't crash into the acid sea. I'm going to go test this again, but I just tried at the end of the match and it wouldn't let me near the water. WIIHAWK! It plays itself. :|

Can I just get a Warhawk HD Remix? Get rid of Normal Flight glitch bullsh*t, slow down the warhawk hover speed substantially to lessen the air-to-ground domination and I'm good. Really.

Man this is one of the most addictive games I've played. Improve the assault rifle and reduce the lock on time for jetpacks and starhawks and I'm fucking good.

edit: what happened to avatars, did I miss something?

I can't answer everything but I can answer this:
Put the seat switching for jeeps BACK ON SQUARE.
Reason:
Why the change? Well, in Warhawk the game had to delay a dismount to see if you were pressing the button or holding it to change seats. By moving the change seats button, you can dismount as fast as you can mount.
The Take Out Bandit said:
Is there a clan for this game or is it disabled in the beta?
No clans. Actually A LOT of shit is disabled so far like air pickups for Hawks (air mines were removed in 1.0.4 I think).
Two flight speeds is lame. Starfox style canned missile scrubbing is terrible. Please let me fly my plane. They need to give the hawks more munitions to be effective here. A nice bunker buster would really make them worthwhile for teams that love to build walls around the flag with turrets inside. I know they're just designing a good killbox, but it makes for the opposite of the fast paced insanity of Warhawk. Especially since we have to indulge the teams Starcraft fancy and mine resources to obtain good gear.
The reason I think is you can hold L2 (Air Brake) and it acts sorta like a another flight speed slower than Normal Flight. I don't remember that in Warhawk, but even if it was there you also had Hover capabilities...
Everything about Eucadians was the opposite of everything about Chernovans. You couldn't possibly mistake the two. In Starhawk, everything is METAL AND CONCRETE! So enemies can drop gun turrets in your base and it's not immediately evident until the damned thing starts shooting at you.
Errr... you see it on the mini-map. Red structure or green...
Oh and you now can't crash into the acid sea. I'm going to go test this again, but I just tried at the end of the match and it wouldn't let me near the water. WIIHAWK! It plays itself. :|
WTF? I've done it before... maybe they patched it out?

I'm going to time this.

So basically I can mount and dismount super quick, and waste time running around the car instead of just holding down the button to switch seats. BRILLIANT!

No clans. Actually A LOT of shit is disabled so far like air pickups for Hawks (air mines were removed in 1.0.4 I think).

Yeah mines were in it when Sea Manky showed me the Beta when he got it. I believe they stated the mines were causing the system crashes people were experiencing.

The reason I think is you can hold L2 (Air Brake) and it acts sorta like a another flight speed slower than Normal Flight. I don't remember that in Warhawk, but even if it was there you also had Hover capabilities...

Warhawk also had a brake. So three speeds and brake.

Errr... you see it on the mini-map. Red structure or green...

I shouldn't need to look at a map. Good visual design, Warhawk had it. Starhawk - not so much.

WTF? I've done it before... maybe they patched it out?

It's way dumbed down. In the early beta Sea Manky showed me I ran into one of those brain things in the Acid Sea stage and blew up instantly.

Now you bounce around like a paddleball. It's probably worse than Warhawk in that regard.

Lightbox seems hellbent on making the ground combat more about aiming and shooting like Pro Flight in Warhawk, but making the air combat in Starhawk like the ground combat in Warhawk. There are just some completely asinine decisions being made here as a concession to the dudebro crowd who ought to not play the game if they can't fly and shoot at the same time.

I'm going to fire it up and try being a camping scumbag.

Look, I agree Lightbox has gone overboard to take out the air baserape, however there is a megapatch coming out that is supposed to help the pilots.

methane47

Lightbox seems hellbent on making the ground combat more about aiming and shooting like Pro Flight in Warhawk, but making the air combat in Starhawk like the ground combat in Warhawk. There are just some completely asinine decisions being made here as a concession to the dudebro crowd who ought to not play the game if they can't fly and shoot at the same time.

I'm going to fire it up and try being a camping scumbag.

I agree.... infantry is simply superior in most ways to flying. In warhawk if i was on foot and a warhawk dropped in on me... i would run for cover... Which makes complete sense to me.

This game if I have a rocket launcher or a shot gun... I run straight for hawks because they are such easy targets... I can even scare them off with my rifle.. its pretty ridiculous.

Look, I agree Lightbox has gone overboard to take out the air baserape, however there is a megapatch coming out that is supposed to help the pilots.

This ought to be hilarious. At this point the game is so inherently whack they need to just release the tank and hover bike just to give players more options and reduce more balancing nonsense down the road.

Dudes will just spawn as far forward as they can, shit out a Razorback garage, and take off leaving the damned garage in the middle of nowhere. There's no way in hell they're going to be able to tie every moron playing this game a shared energy pool. No way in hell. If they do, they may as well send this game directly to the clearance bins.

Setting up another NeoGAF server...

That could have ended worse. Complete base rape. Build. And. Battle. Completely falls apart outside of the little Lightbox snowglobe of reality. Everybody is running around trying to play Deathmatch, not building squat, not expanding territory. Not getting on the damned mics.

At least when you got base raped in Warhawk you would have weapon pick ups to fight back.

I agree.... infantry is simply superior in most ways to flying. In warhawk if i was on foot and a warhawk dropped in on me... i would run for cover... Which makes complete sense to me.

This game if I have a rocket launcher or a shot gun... I run straight for hawks because they are such easy targets... I can even scare them off with my rifle.. its pretty ridiculous.

Yep, still leaning toward completely lost on this game. They turned it into Battlefield in Space. Everything that made Warhawk great is stripped away in favor of this ridiculous build and battle system. Granted these are just impressions of the current build of the beta. Perhaps by some miracle the powers that be at Lightbox will pull their heads out of their asses.

They ought to look at every public showing of the game they've done and listen to their staffers practically begging the players to use hawks. "Come on guys! Get in the air! Hawks are really important! We swear!"

Man, this hurts almost as bad as Capcom's betrayalton WRT another franchise I used to love.

I was hoping this would be great. I was really looking forward to it, but man - hope dashed, love over. Just another dudebro shooting game now.

Top Bottom