• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk (Closed) Beta Testing thread of impressions and questions.

Wow, could you be more melodramatic? That was one of the most pathetic things I've ever read. If you don't like the game then don't play it, go back to Warhawk. Your constant bitching and whining isn't constructive, isn't pleasant, and isn't wanted in the thread.

Thrakier

Wow, could you be more melodramatic? That was one of the most pathetic things I've ever read. If you don't like the game then don't play it, go back to Warhawk. Your constant bitching and whining isn't constructive, isn't pleasant, and isn't wanted in the thread.

The fuck? Who are you that you determine which opinion is wanted in the thread and which not? Besides that I do get where he's coming from. In it's current state Starhawk feels like a 3/10 game to me. And I'm pretty sad that I don't use exaggeration here to get more attention. It really just feels like...shit. Sorry LightBox.

The fuck? Who are you that you determine which opinion is wanted in the thread and which not? Besides that I do get where he's coming from. In it's current state Starhawk feels like a 3/10 game to me. And I'm pretty sad that I don't use exaggeration here to get more attention. It really just feels like...shit. Sorry LightBox.

I'M IN THE BETA GUYZ! HERP DERP! EVERYTHING MUST BE GOOD IN THIS BETA SOFTWARE! That's how Weekend comes off all the time.

Oh well.

Another issue I've run into that I had hoped they would resolve from Warhawk is players falling into areas on the map you cannot escape from. This could be a super simple fix by putting a set of industrial stairs or a ladder to get back up from these locations.

I'm just going to take the advice of another friend in the beta and wait for the next patch and hope that makes the Hawks viable, reduces the hilariously generous health regen, and wonky weapons damage.

I didn't say he couldn't have an opinion. I said the way he presents his opinion in such a melodramatic, ranting way is pathetic. He sounds like a 12 year old who didn't get his favorite game for Christmas and now his entire life is ruined.

Going by some of the recent posts... you kinda do.

Sea_Manky is active on the beta forums and has made many posts back and forth constructively on his likes and dislikes. He hasn't doom and gloomed yet in any one single forum posts and he's played the beta for three weeks.

Thrakier

Going by some of the recent posts... you kinda do.

Sea_Manky is active on the beta forums and has made many posts back and forth constructively on his likes and dislikes. He hasn't doom and gloomed yet in any one single forum posts and he's played the beta for three weeks.

Nah, I know that there are people out there who seem to like it. I'm fine with that. ;) I'm suprised by it, tbh, yes. I tried several times to get into it now and on my last try today I couldn't even finish one game because I thought that it was so...bad. I just couldn't stand it. I don't know why I feel so extreme about it. I think there are different things coming together. Part of it are the expectations wich aren't fullfilled coming from Warhawk. You know, it's not like I'm proud of it or happy about not liking it. I think it's kinda sad because before the beta I was sure as hell that that would be my online go to game for 2012. Now with the first impressions I wouldn't even consider to buy it at a budget price. It just feels so bad and wrong. ;D

I really really hope that the final version improves tenfold. Imo this game needs it, really.

They need to:

- make the game WAY more repsonsive. WAY more. Like...80% more responsive.
- fix the controls (part of it is the responsivness)
- fix the soundeffects.
- fix the overall design and some of the animations.
- lock the framerate @30.

I barely didn't get into the game because of the points above. But what I played so far...I don't like the map design and the RTS elements as well. The game kinda lost it's identity...

I'm not saying they like it or hate it, they're opening discourse with others on the Starhawk site and getting responses, then moving onto other issues. Here I'm reading about the same thing over and over and over and it's getting a tad frustrating. Now TToB (who just started playing this) is going to give it up after what, 2-3 days because "it's not Warhawk"? And it's not even the open Beta? Do you see the point I'm trying to make here?

Since last Monday, I have setup open servers for 16 hours a day playing this and making a list of changes/fixes and posting on the forums. Thousands have done the same... slight adjustments will come with every maintenance, and bigger ones are on the way. Ragewhining here won't really help adjust the game, you want to help it? Go the the Bets forum and post that. I'm been involved in numerous game beta on the last 5 years and I don't see the point of posting all that rage here. EVERY dev says they read all the gaming boards, but unless I mistook the last Warhawk beta there was no Incognito rep here. I doubt a Lightbox rep is here also.

Donos

matchmaking doesn't work for me atm. just found the neogaf server wohoO.
Edit:Can't connect any game. Always stuck at "loading".
Servers down ? :(

Nah, I know that there are people out there who seem to like it. I'm fine with that. ;) I'm suprised by it, tbh, yes. I tried several times to get into it now and on my last try today I couldn't even finish one game because I thought that it was so...bad. I just couldn't stand it. I don't know why I feel so extreme about it. I think there are different things coming together. Part of it are the expectations wich aren't fullfilled coming from Warhawk. You know, it's not like I'm proud of it or happy about not liking it. I think it's kinda sad because before the beta I was sure as hell that that would be my online go to game for 2012. Now with the first impressions I wouldn't even consider to buy it at a budget price. It just feels so bad and wrong. ;D

Zk7DS.jpg

Warhawk was just faced paced manic insanity. The game had issues of its own, but it was still a fantastic game and one of my favorite games of this otherwise completely lousy and forgettable console generation.

There's always Twisted Metal to fill the Warhawk void.

I really really hope that the final version improves tenfold. Imo this game needs it, really.

They need to:

- make the game WAY more repsonsive. WAY more. Like...80% more responsive.
- fix the controls (part of it is the responsivness)
- fix the soundeffects.
- fix the overall design and some of the animations.
- lock the framerate @30.

I barely didn't get into the game because of the points above. But what I played so far...I don't like the map design and the RTS elements as well. The game kinda lost it's identity...

I'm confident most of this will get sorted out, I'm just not expecting the finished product to be one I look forward to.

I'm not saying they like it or hate it, they're opening discourse with others on the Starhawk site and getting responses, then moving onto other issues. Here I'm reading about the same thing over and over and over and it's getting a tad frustrating. Now TToB (who just started playing this) is going to give it up after what, 2-3 days because "it's not Warhawk"? And it's not even the open Beta? Do you see the point I'm trying to make here?

I'm giving up on the current release of the BETA.

I enjoyed aspects of the previous beta candidate.

I'm stupidly optimistic that future releases will forge this thing into something resembling a worthy successor to Warhawk; and not just another one of those "hot new games" the rest of you guys got distracted by while I was still playing Warhawk.

Right now though, the game is largely indistinguishable from every other shooty gun game out there.

I'm giving up on the current release of the BETA.

I enjoyed aspects of the previous beta candidate.

I'm stupidly optimistic that future releases will forge this thing into something resembling a worthy successor to Warhawk; and not just another one of those "hot new games" the rest of you guys got distracted by while I was still playing Warhawk.

Right now though, the game is largely indistinguishable from every other shooty gun game out there.
Starhawk is not a sequel to Warhawk. Never was.

Spiritual successor is what I'd call it. Going into this beta all I was looking for was looking for a somewhat similar experience, not Warhawk 2.

Thrakier

EVERY dev says they read all the gaming boards, but unless I mistook the last Warhawk beta there was no Incognito rep here. I doubt a Lightbox rep is here also.

If so, that's their problem and would be stupid...whatever.

The thing is, I guess, that I have problems with the beta at such basic things that I don't think that I have to say much too the devs besides "man, you really should take another year and think about it again". Things like responsive controls or a steady framerate...this is not something you need to tell a halfway competent dev, they should know that the game needs that.

Also I don't think that they'll rework the design just because I'm complaining. ;) I think it's not even possible anymore, timeframe wise. So I almost feel like giving up on the game already...I know it's silly because it's not even a real beta yet. But it feels so plain bad at the moment that I don't believe they can resuce much.

But I'm following it, obviously. Hope never dies!

evolution

I can't seem to connect to any games, it just hangs at the match loading screen. Are the servers up for certain periods of time?

spwolf

got into the beta today..

started up thinking it will be some garbled mess of 10 fps, water submerged tank controls psp looking game.

it is not :).

i have to play at least 10 hrs before making any comments, but in general, game looks and plays fine and seems a lot of fun.

Thrakier

got into the beta today..

started up thinking it will be some garbled mess of 10 fps, water submerged tank controls psp looking game.

it is not :).

i have to play at least 10 hrs before making any comments, but in general, game looks and plays fine and seems a lot of fun.

Haha, thank me for lowering your expectations. ;D I'm happy for the guys who like it, maybe it's really just me. It seems like my cognition of this game is so off from most of the others that it's really weird at this point. Never had something like that before. I'm more of a critical person but normally there are always some people who are complaining about the same stuff as I do. Maybe I'm just wrong or my "feelings" are somehow...wrong.

Donos

Same impression. i'm going to put a longer post here or in the beta forums but it runs really good. Even when several buildings are coming down at the same time it runs good.
People also start to realise that Spawn Beacon is important and having fortified base in the middle plateau at Acid Sea is a good thing :)

spwolf

Haha, thank me for lowering your expectations. ;D I'm happy for the guys who like it, maybe it's really just me. It seems like my cognition of this game is so off from most of the others that it's really weird at this point. Never had something like that before. I'm more of a critical person but normally there are always some people who are complaining about the same stuff as I do. Maybe I'm just wrong or my "feelings" are somehow...wrong.

well I didnt play wowhawk for a while now, so I am sure my impression would be completely different from bandit's that owned in wowhawk, but maybe thats why my first impressions were positive?

i have to say that it feels a LOT like wowhawk... it is still fast paced arcadey shooter, there is some auto aim when initial targetting (i think)...

of course, a lot of connection errors - welcome to wowhawk! Wowhawk had issues with connecting that were "solved" only 6-10 months after game came out... Wowhawk always had fps issues. I really cant notice any here (i am generally not sensitive to it).

I didnt get to play warhawks yet... i just played maybe 4 games so far. It feels like you can jump from one side to another in a "jeep" in 20 seconds, hows that not wowhawk? :).

I need to read more instructions on various things like how to get into warhawks :))))

Thrakier

well I didnt play wowhawk for a while now, so I am sure my impression would be completely different from bandit's that owned in wowhawk, but maybe thats why my first impressions were positive?

i have to say that it feels a LOT like wowhawk... it is still fast paced arcadey shooter, there is some auto aim when initial targetting (i think)...

of course, a lot of connection errors - welcome to wowhawk! Wowhawk had issues with connecting that were "solved" only 6-10 months after game came out... Wowhawk always had fps issues. I really cant notice any here (i am generally not sensitive to it).

I didnt get to play warhawks yet... i just played maybe 4 games so far. It feels like you can jump from one side to another in a "jeep" in 20 seconds, hows that not wowhawk? :).

I need to read more instructions on various things like how to get into warhawks :))))

Haha, our impressions couldn't be more different. ;) Yeah you are right, Wowhawk had FPS issues as well. But it felt tons more responsive imo. You guys really don't think that this game feels unresponsive. And I feel this game is nothing like Wowhawk.

Donos

Still no luck connecting to any server (it just stays at the loading screen). I can host a game by myself. going to try it in an hour.

F-Pina

Get stuck at loading screens sometimes too.
Can anyone tell me how to build the tower that creates a shield around an area?
I also can't seem to understand how to get the repair gun.

The frame rate is only really noticably atrocious when you're flying.

On the ground - it's passable.

Bring back health bars.

The Jam Screen is trash. Especially in vehicles.

I'd like to see health bars above the enemies head again, it's nice to know when you're actually hitting someone or if lag is making you miss.

But for yourself I don't really see the point assuming they keep health regen, it's just more screen clutter.

Melee attack needs to be substantially nerfed.

It's far too easy to melee an enemy to death and I've had dudes (no doubt lag related given their positioning) knife me from about 10 feet away.

There should be more item pick ups on the map. Especially the repair tool. In Warhawk you would have them in your base. In Starhawk you need to run a good distance away to get one. I can see the importance of it as a game balance tool, you don't want folks camping and fixing all day long; but given how damn HARD walls and supply bunkers are to take out, having more available would be extremely useful.

TTOB, you've got me really worried about this game; I wish I could see for myself.

If a beta code comes to my US account you can have it.

If you like running and shooting games like SOCOM you'll love this. Especially if you hated flying in Warhawk. Starhawk hates aircraft at this point. :p

If you loved the manic insanity of Warhawk - this will be tedious.

Two grenades to blow up a mech is crap, but I think that may be a hold over from Warhawk. Wasn't it two grenade to take out a Warhawk on the ground? Here's how it works - the Hawk pilot is now vulnerable unlike the Warhawk pilot. Make the Hawk helluva tough, but leave the squishy parts squishy.

Maybe even slow down the transformation / launch to prevent hawks molesting ground troops.

They should add more rift energy barrels to the stages for folks who want to use a vehicle of some sort, but don't have all f*cking day to wait for seeping rift energy or who don't want to waste time running around the map shooting far off barrels.

The activation pads for all vehicle launchers need tweaking. I don't want to have to stand right up on the damned thing to activate it, worse I've noticed if your character model isn't looking at it, then you aren't looking at it and you can't activate it. Lame. Needs the Warhawk handy SQUARE TO ANYTHING function.

The vehicles also need a better response to Square presses. I had the enemy flag. Jumped down to my jeep. In front of the driver side, enter prompt is on screen, I press square, nothing happens but I do get a grenade up my ass from the enemy team. Entering and exiting the vehicles needs to be responsive, this game isn't as fast paced as Warhawk; but given the stupid energy farming mechanic I need controls I can rely on to activate and enter vehicles without mollycoddling the game camera. Warhawk style.

The camera also needs to just pop to BEHIND PLAYER CHARACTER when you jump into a vehicle, not this rubberband BS. Like Warhawk. Either I'm in the vehicle or I'm not.

Camera rocking and motion blurring is giving me nausea I'm afraid.

DireStr8s

What I loved most about Warhawk was I felt like I was popping quarters in a cabinet every spawn; sounds like that feel is gone.

Though I remain optimistic. I expect tactics & playstyles to evolve, possibly ratcheting up the speed aspect to an extent.

& TTOB, thank you for your offer. I'm exploring other avenues as well & I hope something pans out, cause I'm dying to check it out.

What I loved most about Warhawk was I felt like I was popping quarters in a cabinet every spawn; sounds like that feel is gone.

Though I remain optimistic. I expect tactics & playstyles to evolve, possibly ratcheting up the speed aspect to an extent.

& TTOB, thank you for your offer. I'm exploring other avenues as well & I hope something pans out, cause I'm dying to check it out.

Oh yeah! Yeah! That's what I loved about Warhawk too. It's totally Wile E. Coyote Vs. Road Runner when you ignore some of the things that got past testing (normal mode pilot cheats).

Starhawk is more methodic, and it would help a ton to have clans. Clans that play with predetermined plans and forward base load outs. Imagine playing with people that spawn a beacon, garage, supply bunker, and jetpack machine in every region they take over? That's how clans will be formed in this game I suspect.

I kind of miss the old Warhawk grenades. It made taking out threats easier when they exploded on impact.

Anybody else run into weird audio glitches? Every so often I'll get either total audio drop out, or I'll get crazy static over everything. Beta software bug no doubt, but I've hit it a few times.

Saw a hawk get blown up and not vanish tonight too. LOL LOL LOL

Holy retarded damage choices Batman!

So I can knife a sentry gun and that kills it instantly; but nailing it with a rocket launcher head on doesn't take it out instantly? :|

Seriously?

No, I mean guys. . . :p

Thrakier

So I can knife a sentry gun and that kills it instantly; but nailing it with a rocket launcher head on doesn't take it out instantly? :|

Seriously?

Yeah...that's kinda...weird. Things like this make me questioning if even the same team is behind it...it's not that they can't change it...but it's weird that it even is that way.

evolution

Took me a while, but i've figured out how things work now. The base building is awesome, but only in the right hands. Some teams go to crazy with the wall building, end up getting these ugly mazes. They changed the flight movement, it feels very restricted compared to warhawk. I enjoying it overall though

Question: Is the game 8v8 now? Every game seems to be 16 player max only

Seriously?

Actually a pretty good design choice. Prevents people from building dozens of them all over the place when you can just knife them, but also makes them worthy enough when you put them high.

Hmmm this interesting strategy of building three walls with the ladder side facing out to trap flag carriers inside is interesting.

Unfortunately for my enemies it will take more than walls to stop me! Heh heh heh somebody turned one of them into a gate to come in after me. And it was time to mash the super abusive melee attack to get out. Wahaha!

Received my first hate mail too.

Map was getting hosed by the other team, so I just went off on a property damage sortie and was destroying enemy gun placements when they brought our flag near their base. Well, I found out just how far I could throw a hail Mary grenade. Wahahaha~!

Yeah I think the camera swaying and frame rate are conspiring against me. I've got a headache and nausea now. :(

methane47

Had some good matches in the gaf server earlier... running my regular game of wait for enemy to roll into base with jeep..... watch them jump out of jeep to get flag... i then jump in their jeep and watch them cry...

Had some good matches in the gaf server earlier... running my regular game of wait for enemy to roll into base with jeep..... watch them jump out of jeep to get flag... i then jump in their jeep and watch them cry...

If you time it right you can drop a building on the jeep right when they get in for extra lulz.

theBishop

Banned
Do you think Sony should consider porting some online-only games to Steamworks and supporting Portal 2's feature set? A game like Warhawk or MAG could use the injection of players after console players decline. For whatever reason games seem to have longer tails on PC. You can still easily get a game of Tribes or Enemy Territory going today.

Mini-map really needs Poles (NEWS) on it so I can tell team mates which region of the map I'm fortifying.

I really hope they implement a rudimentary clan system in the beta. So sick of playing with dumb as posts COD people.

Carry the enemy flag back to our base, nobody bothers retrieving our flag. I offer to drive out and take people with me to retrieve flag. No takers. Enemy swarms. I drop flag. Morons on my team allow it to be returned before I can respawn as is usual with "team" games, I need to be able to respond quicker so I can keep all the f*cking plates spinning.

If I could get bunched up with like minded players this experience would be less of a hassle.

Online gaming, reiterating that you can lead a horse to water; but you can't make it drink. And the horse will call you a n****r and/or f****t in the process. :|

Fakest Edit: That last match. Wow.

Is there a way to view the score board / player list like in Warhawk? I need to see who is sitting around with their thumbs up their asses and quitting on my team.

I kept trying to take down your fortifications and set up stuff for my team, but your team kept playing better. People not getting on the mic - it's why bad stereotypes like "PSN SUCKS" persists. Microphones, please use them for team games people!

spwolf

If you like running and shooting games like SOCOM you'll love this.

Socom and starhawk dont have anything in common. You are too good of an player to make such ridicilous claims. In Starhawk you span 5 seconds after you die, and you can spawn on the top of the head of player that killed you... in Socom you wait for 10/15/30 minutes until you can play again.

I got owned last night in few games i played, lol.... i guess serves me right for not playing wowhawk for years.

spwolf

Do you think Sony should consider porting some online-only games to Steamworks and supporting Portal 2's feature set? A game like Warhawk or MAG could use the injection of players after console players decline. For whatever reason games seem to have longer tails on PC. You can still easily get a game of Tribes or Enemy Territory going today.

I dont know about MAG, but i started up warhawk last night, just to do quick compare vs starhawk beta, and it had PLENTY of servers going on, even 7-8 official ones.

Socom and starhawk dont have anything in common. You are too good of an player to make such ridicilous claims. In Starhawk you span 5 seconds after you die, and you can spawn on the top of the head of player that killed you... in Socom you wait for 10/15/30 minutes until you can play again.

Sorry, that was a heavy dose of sarcasm. I meant weapons behavior and aiming as a ground troop.

It irks me to no end that they made the ground combat more bland shooting game style (I do not like aiming with a pad), but they're adding so many nerfs to the aircraft for morons.

This makes no damned sense. Either give us crappy ground combat with pad aiming and Warhawk style flight (sans Normal Flight BS) where everybody has to work for their kills; or put training wheels on everything.

Oh you don't like to hold down the missile button to acquire a lock on an enemy in a Hawk? TOO BAD! I don't like having to run around try to put bullets in the ass some some running jumping ninny with a gun.

Not everybody loves dudebro shooting Lightbox! >:|

One major improvement in the flight unlike Warhawk, is that now putting an obstacle between you and your enemy is an easier method to shake a lock. In Warhawk you had to really park your ass behind an object (building, mountain) to break a lock. That's a nice sensible tweak.

Rocket launchers seem to behave a bit better too, meaning the rockets will track out and more ably follow a target rather than just taking a straight line and smack into an obstacle. That said, I'm not a fan of the two button operation to aquire a lock of the rocket launcher here.

I'd like to see them ditch the run button, just put that all on the analogue thumb stick, and add a combat roll (sans the super awesome knife toss at the end) for getting the F out of the way of the Razorbacks.

They also desperately need to bring back the grabbing and pulling yourself up from Warhawk. That would make getting the F out of the way of a razorback easier.

I got owned last night in few games i played, lol.... i guess serves me right for not playing wowhawk for years.

Damn right! :p

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nice. Is there a way to switch shoulders while aiming that I don't know about?

God I hope so! I haven't made it into the beta (yet?) but after the past 90hours of Just Cause 2 I really miss being able to switch shoulders a la Uncharted...

Can anyone confirm if this is possible in the beta?

Top Bottom