• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starwars Battlefront doesn't have voice chat on console either

So, rushed game? Or is EA/DICE going to spin this as a positive design decision?

Personally public chat is something I'd probably never touch, but I know people that would still use it.

I rarely hear people talking in BF4 PC (unless it's on the one east coast adaptive server that encourages squad communication) so I can see where the decision came from to start dropping the feature in general.

When did this happen? People communicated on their own teamspeak servers for years. I'm 30 years old so educate me.

I'm 32 so basically all the Half-Life mods after they got voice chat capability. I went to plenty of Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Firearms, Natural Selection servers over the years where people weren't assholes because they were banned instantly by the admins. I even ran some servers of my own.

Yay! Let's further wall off AAA gaming from casuals or young gamers who may be investing in their first online game in a super popular IP.
Voice chat is not necessary to be invested or even enjoy online play.

The first MP game I ever got properly invested in was MW2 and I never used a mic. I've since played many, many online games and the only one I've ever actually used a mic on was Destiny.

Nothing useful comes through public chat anymore because everyone who is playing with their friends is using private chat or just doesn't talk. Go on games that DO have voice chat and nobody's using it, except people who have left their Kinect on as a mic or something similar on PS4. The remainder is kids, people listening to music, or douches who just shout abuse at you.

Jarmel

Banned
So, rushed game? Or is EA/DICE going to spin this as a positive design decision?

Personally public chat is something I'd probably never touch, but I know people that would still use it.

Of course some PR puppet is going to try and spin this as some positive despite it being a load of bullshit.

Boke1879

Yay! Let's further wall off AAA gaming from casuals or young gamers who may be investing in their first online game in a super popular IP.

To be fair. I don't think a parent buying this game for their young child would be happy to hear the N-word, the F-word or generally have their kid being cussed out coming through the speakers.

Not defending it. I think there should be some form of in game chat. But honestly I rarely talk to randoms when I play online. There is a rare occasion I'll use my mic when playing COD with randoms but other times I'm partied up with my buddies and we just shoot the shit while we each play different games.

Jarmel

Banned
Voice chat is not necessary to be invested or even enjoy online play.

The first MP game I ever got properly invested in was MW2 and I never used a mic. I've since played many, many online games and the only one I've ever actually used a mic on was Destiny.

Nothing useful comes through public chat anymore because everyone who is playing with their friends is using private chat or just doesn't talk. Go on games that DO have voice chat and nobody's using it, except people who have left their Kinect on as a mic or something similar on PS4. The remainder is kids, people listening to music, or douches who just shout abuse at you.

It sure as hell helps especially when dealing with large teams. I largely don't use a mic but I very much appreciate the option of using it.

Arulan

I understand that most players will want to chat with their friends, such as with party chat, or in PC's case with Mumble, but there needs to be a way to communicate with your team. On PC this is often accomplished by using text chat.

LQX

You know this might sound very odd; I do not use voice chat at all but I like hearing other people talking. Most of the time it is nonsense but I much prefer it to a totally mute game.

I play Battlefield 4 online all the time without any form of chat, people generally get the right idea of what to do and how to play the game without needing someone giving orders to them. Do you only play online games when you can get a full team following your orders or something?
I must say that is am absolutely awesome experience though. I've ran lead in some organized matches of 16v16 in certain games and it's just phenomenal. Even on the flip side being the guy taking orders, it's great!

Though you can still have a good time with 0 communication. Battlefield 1943 had broken voice chat on PS3 but was among my favorite multiplayer games last gen.

It sure as hell helps especially when dealing with large teams. I largely don't use a mic but I very much appreciate the option of using it.
I'm sure it does, but the culture of public voice chat being helpful or relevant is just gone. There have been many threads on GAF alone about how nobody ever speaks in public chat anymore, and it's basically because party chat killed it.

There's just not the same culture there was in the early 360 days. Lobbies now are mostly silent bar the occasional people who left their mics on, or kids.

Let's be honest.... How many times does it ever work out?

Most times its racial slurs, homophobe remarks and ppl playing crappy music into shitty mics.

That is not a problem with voice communication, that is a problem with the way voice chat is designed on consoles without a PTT(Push-To-Talk) feature. So it is either you have your mic going on the entire time picking up everything around you or you have it off. I actually thought this console generation controllers would have a PTT button on the back of the pad that you could use with your ring finger or at the very least let you assign a button for PTT system wide.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm sure it does, but the culture of public voice chat being helpful or relevant is just gone. There have been many threads on GAF alone about how nobody ever speaks in public chat anymore, and it's basically because party chat killed it.

There's just not the same culture there was in the early 360 days. Lobbies now are mostly silent bar the occasional people who left their mics on, or kids.

Forcing people to use the party system is an awful idea especially for individuals that lone wolf it. Even if a person doesn't speak, it doesn't mean they're not listening.

Blanquito

So, as someone who was super into team chat (vs party chat) being included in Destiny, and even set it up so that it automatically adds me to the team chat every chance I get... I've only ever heard one other person actually talk to me in the team chat ever since that feature was implemented.

People just flat out don't use team chat anymore.

cakely

From the responses I got, it seems some people do use public voice chat.

So, for them, it stinks that this feature was removed. I will curb my aspie tendencies and try and empathize.

Forcing people to use the party system is an awful idea especially for individuals that lone wolf it. Even if a person doesn't speak, it doesn't mean they're not listening.
But that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that it's practically pointless to leave it in nowadays because nobody speaks. Seriously, boot up any major online game on PS4 or XB1 and I'm sure for most of your games you won't hear a squeak.

Jarmel

Banned
But that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that it's practically pointless to leave it in nowadays because nobody speaks. Seriously, boot up any major online game on PS4 or XB1 and I'm sure for most of your games you won't hear a squeak.

That's not true though. There was plenty of people talking during the recent COD beta.

meanspartan

Lame, but honestly, most people are in their party chats anyway.

The appetite for talking to random strangers is leaving gaming gradually. Sure, maybe if you PUG a few for a raid in Destiny or something you'll talk to them. But the last friend I made on PSN randomly whom I still play games with was in 2010 in MAG of all games lol.

Of course some PR puppet is going to try and spin this as some positive despite it being a load of bullshit.
Wouldn't be surprised after BF4. I can see it already:

"We have a new feature in Star Wars™ Battlefront™ where you use your platform's party/voice system to communicate. We're not offering the old squad chat feature because we didn’t feel that the feature in Star Wars™ Battlefront™ was on par with the quality that we wanted to offer our players. We have no plans to add it in the future.”

Cyd0nia

Banned
I don't think I'd want to hear people unless they were going to play in character

"You rebel scum!" etc.

If I could trust people to do that they should totally enable this and do it.

So, as someone who was super into team chat (vs party chat) being included in Destiny, and even set it up so that it automatically adds me to the team chat every chance I get... I've only ever heard one other person actually talk to me in the team chat ever since that feature was implemented.

People just flat out don't use team chat anymore.

You are an informed gamer. That isn't the majority of people. The fact that the option defaulted as off meant that 99% of the people weren't going to enable it to begin with. Especially after almost a year where people were forced to use Party Chat or not be able to communicate at all.

kingocfs

Have so many hilarious memories from voice chatting in games during the OG XBL days. That shit should be standard, period.

We need a Squid telling Darth Vader he is his father.

"Splatoon: Did EA ever tell you what happened to your father? Battlefront, I am your father."

Personally this doesn't impact me. I typically play in a party anyways whether I am with friends or not. That way I can avoid random breathing, loud music, TV feedback, etc. from others in the game.

That being said I don't understand why you would remove a chat channel from an online multiplayer shooter. doesn't make any sense to me and people have every right to bitch about this omission.

Blanquito

You are an informed gamer. That isn't the majority of people. The fact that the option defaulted as off meant that 99% of the people weren't going to enable it to begin with. Especially after almost a year where people were forced to use Party Chat or not be able to communicate at all.

You do have a point. I wonder what the effect would be if it were defaulted to on.

BokehKing

Banned
LMAO. Let's wait for the 1st person to try defend this. It's GAF, we all know it will happen.
Only thing I can think of is they are going for like a G rating and want even little kids to play online with out being cursed out

That's kind of what destiny did, the devs were concerned over the evil trolls ruining people's games. Put a big giant mute button in the lobby I say, problem solved

Honestly I wish all FPSes didn't have voice chat and instead opted for Shadowrun FPS' amazing in-game communication system.

Press the dpad different ways to say different things in context, it was so helpful and used MORE than voice chat.

fucking stupid. The whole party chat only thing has already killed game chats, and now this is just icing on the cake. Its fucking stupid, and I'm so sick of people defending this shit because they're too fucking lazy to mute people. Why not just remove voice chat period?

moai

Voice chat has been dead to me since last gen. Nobody talks on psn or live anymore.
Would have been nice to have the choice to do it.

Top Bottom