• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starwars Battlefront doesn't have voice chat on console either

It doesn't effect me cause I only use party chat, but it's pretty shit for people that do want to use game chat. Don't understand this decision.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Who cares? it's annoying, most of us using party system.

In an ideal world, sure, but I keep running into people who can't party chat because their NAT is fucked up or their router isn't configured properly. (PS4 party chat.)

Ooccoo

Star Wars Battlefront 2 vs. Star Wars Battlefront

Campaign + Galactic Mode / Shitty wave-based missions
8 classes / generic characters without classes
Space battles / in-atmosphere air battles because reasons
An actual plot / Admiral Ackbar
18 maps + 6 space maps + 9 campaign/GM maps / probably 12 maps at launch
10+ heroes / 3 confirmed, probably 6 max at launch
neutral units / nothing (or I missed'em)

I'm probably forgetting a few from glancing at the features list.

Honestly I'm sick of this generation where we are lucky to get half the features from 10 years ago. All in the name of SICK GRAPHICZ BRO

This is just emulating the experience properly. If the storm troopers and rebels could communicate, they wouldn't be so incompetent in the movies.

Lol, It all makes sense now.

My group of buddies use Curse voice. I was wondering why no one was talking at all. Even if only to talk shit or complain about _______.

ironcreed

Banned
What on earth will people do when they find that they don't have to mute heavy breathing, eating chips, kids screaming and bad music blaring?

cakely

This is an actual question: Does anyone here actually use pub voice chat in online games? Especially on consoles? After experiencing what it has to offer I was done with it very early into generation 7.

And please don't label me a "defender", this is just a feature that if turned on I would turn off every match, just like I was forced to in Xbox 360 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Honestly I'm sick of this generation where we are lucky to get half the features from 10 years ago. All in the name of SICK GRAPHICZ BRO

Well to defend the new Battlefront, it only has the original trilogy stuff. Battlefront 2 had 6 films to get the content from.

Poona

Fine with me. More chance I'll actually buy it now.

I don't play online multiplayer games much, but when I do the worst things to hear is whining kids, someone playing their own music, people abusing each other, etc.

So I was relieved when I have the beta a go and all I heard was Star Wars sounds.

Naudi

Banned
Good, I hate that every new map i have to mute all players over again in CoD. In 20v20 modes especially its useless. Would be nice if they atleast had it for in game squads, but i never use in game chat anyway.

gossi

This is an actual question: Does anyone here actually use pub voice chat in online games? Especially on consoles? After experiencing what it has to offer I was done with it very early into generation 7.

And please don't label me a "defender", this is just a feature that if turned on I would turn off every match, just like I was forced to in Xbox 360 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

I use it almost every day. Elder Scrolls Online is particularly great for voicechat, everybody uses it.

Jito

Banned

No idea why people put Battlefront 2 on such a high pedestal, really is a case of rose tinted glasses.

mrlion

Man...take a deep breath. Everything is fine, no one is forcing you to buy the game if you don't want to play it. I too have logged a lot of hours in the older Battlefronts but I really do think that playing DICE's Battlefront is a blast. At first it was slow, but after playing more its really fun.

But just because I think its fun doesn't mean its going to be fun for you too. If it is, great, if not...just chill. Find another game. I recommend Ziggurat, its a really awesome game.

I know that it's a feature being taken out which is never good but honestly the frequency that people actually use in game chat now is ridiculously low. It's been this way ever since party chat came out. Personally I freaking hate it and wish party chat never happened, but it is what it is.

It's a weird decision, sure, but I'd rather not have an open chat channel where a cacophony of 19 other people's screams would be free to make my ears bleed. Seeing as how there are no squads, only partners, squad chat is out as well -- something I welcomed in Battlefield. Seriously though, 19 other people being able to talk at once would make it messy.

20v20 battles and people can't talk to each other in game?
Qqe4Os0.gif

majik13

I exclusively only party chat, or dont chat at all. So this doesn't affect me in the slightest. But this is an odd choice.

Either they are going with the Nintendo mentality, of family friendly.

Or does no voice chat free up enough networking traffic to improve netplay?

Meh, Public chat is obnoxious anyway, I'll go party chat, XB1 parties support 12, if you get 12 of any team of 20 vs another team of 20 on the same page, good chance you win anyway.

So, here's the big deal with party chat.... you're talking to a party you've formed. This is a 20 vs 20 game, having in-game communications is ESSENTIAL for any sort of teamwork with those around you, who may not necessarily be in your party. What a horrendous oversight.

cakely

Are you going to sit and add 19 other people to your friends list for every match so you can party chat with them?

Why would anyone do that? If there's one takeaway I got from Generation 7 of consoles it's that I don't want to hear random people talk on the internet. And by "talk" I mean rap, sing, argue with their mom about dinner, or use every racist and/or homophobic slur they learned in in high school. I would rather no sound at all come out of my game than have to hear that ever again.

Sadly party chat on consoles and third party programs on PC have completely killed the social aspect of gaming with randoms. Everyone is in their own bubble. People talking shit and being horrible community members would easily be taken care of in a dedicated server environment where you could actually breed a friendly community as an admin of your own server.

Gaming has definitively taken steps backwards in this regard.

Neoxon

Are they working on an NX version? 'Cause they should.
Given EA's recent relations with Nintendo (or lack thereof), I doubt it. Plus I don't think EA would take too kindly to having to scale down the game so that the NX Handheld can run it (unless Nintendo offers NX Console exclusivity as an option).

On-topic, I still play the crap out of Splatoon & use Discord if I want to coordinate, so I'll live. Plus there's the PS4's native party chat.

Jito

Banned
So, here's the big deal with party chat.... you're talking to a party you've formed. This is a 20 vs 20 game, having in-game communications is ESSENTIAL for any sort of teamwork with those around you, who may not necessarily be in your party. What a horrendous oversight.

I play Battlefield 4 online all the time without any form of chat, people generally get the right idea of what to do and how to play the game without needing someone giving orders to them. Do you only play online games when you can get a full team following your orders or something?

I do when no friends are online but...

...not many other people do, even on PS3 where no private party chat.
...always get that dick who plays music and needs be muted.
...always get that foul mouthed dick who needs be muted
...Often foreign languages who get muted
...Fairly often get someone with dodgy mic, needs muting.

...but once in a while you find someone with a well working mic, who speaks your language, and it isn't nonstop swearing or insults, or music being played.

The biggest offender is most games, even objective based ones, reward solo play. Not many people care about the win and just wants kill and points for personal stats and leveling up.

If games stopped focus on personal stats and people needed work together to get any sort of progress more people would be willing to use public chat and no be a dick when they do so. You can top Battlefront scoreboards by ignoring objectives entirely, and that is wrong.

I mean it's stupid it's not there, but in all honesty I was never going to use it anyways. Nobody wants to talk to randoms and everyone uses party chat, and the people who do want to talk to randoms know this and end up using party chat. It ends up being a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy

cjp

Can someone ask their Twitter feed how we're supposed to play Droid Run if communication is vital but we can't chat with randoms? I'd like to see their response.

I don't have an account or I'd do it myself.

Boke1879

That said. Anyone who know's they'll be playing this game a lot on PS4. Feel free to add me. Boke18.

Definitely want a group of people that'll play this game at least a few times a week for a couple of hours.

Just add me.

Sadly party chat on consoles and third party programs on PC have completely killed the social aspect of gaming with randoms. Everyone is in their own bubble. People talking shit and being horrible community members would easily be taken care of in a dedicated server environment where you could actually breed a friendly community as an admin of your own server.

Gaming has definitively taken steps backwards in this regard.

When did this happen? People communicated on their own teamspeak servers for years. I'm 30 years old so educate me.

Yay! Let's further wall off AAA gaming from casuals or young gamers who may be investing in their first online game in a super popular IP.

Top Bottom