• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 500k fastest selling original game ever on XBLA, Steam version coming

EagleEyes

Well at least Microsoft is getting something right lately. Bringing this to steam will make them twice the profit easily. Kudos.

dzelly

It was a fun game, limited, but fun. Also ample amounts of screen tearing, texture pops, and numerous other technical issues.

tw1164

I've been enjoying the game on XBLA. It's easily worth the $20 even w/ the rough edges. I'll pick it up on steam too. I hope a mod community pops up around this game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Easily one of my favourite games this year and it'll be getting a spot in my top 5 at the very least for this year. So much thought and so many great mechanics have gone into it. It's a pity it suffers from jank but the game is so ambitious and does so many things right I can't help but love it. I'd genuinely consider it a masterpiece in its own zombie way :p

garath

Looks like a lot of fun. I love the concept of perma death + the community building to survive the apocalypse. :)

Will buy on PC in a heartbeat.

Stitch

Gold Member
Fortunately it's been in development alongside the Xbox 360 version since Day 1, so we just need to integrate with the Steam platform and add native support for keyboard and mouse control.

That sounds like it's almost finished!? OMG will buy day one with my trading card money :3

WiZzYx

Neo Member
500k!?!?!? Unbelievable. Well, Undead Labs, now give us a multiplayer mode, and a functional first patch.

Will probably buy this day one when it's out on Steam. The tweet made it sound like there's little left to do with the port so I'm hoping for a release this summer even if it's not likely to happen.

Well betting against Jeff Strain is usually a bad idea.

First he was a notable senior staffer on many of Blizzard's hits during their prime. Then he founded ArenaNet and launched two highly successful MMOs.

Coming out on top with the third go around only made sense! :p

Whoa. This is heavy.

Cheech

Tried the demo and thought it was pretty bland. Does it get any better or different after the demo area?

Yeah, you're not really seeing the game's potential after the starting area, which is just meant as a tutorial.

The demo gives you 30 minutes of free time in the open world AFTER you leave the tutorial area, which gives you a much better idea.

Personally, I love the game. It will easily be in the top 5 of the year for me. I wouldn't personally bother waiting for the Steam version if you have access to a 360, it's that good.

dorkimoe

downloaded the demo after hearing about this. need to try it, looks really fun

I really really enjoy that its singleplayer, thats what makes it appealing

Thraktor

I hope this gives them the resources to add the co-op mode back in as well. That's what really drew me to the game early on in development.

Kerub

Banned
Nice, I've heard good things about this. And I love zombie games so I'll pick up the Steam version if it's not too expensive.

Yeah, you're not really seeing the game's potential after the starting area, which is just meant as a tutorial.

The demo gives you 30 minutes of free time in the open world AFTER you leave the tutorial area, which gives you a much better idea.

Personally, I love the game. It will easily be in the top 5 of the year for me. I wouldn't personally bother waiting for the Steam version if you have access to a 360, it's that good.

Absolutely and well said. The opening area isn't really representative of the game once you reach the first town and start having to resource manage, search for survivors and set up outposts.

It's an incredible game, don't let the opening area put you off...

If this ever ends up with co-op I think I'd wind up buying multiple copies.

Sf3TiuZ.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Honestly I hope they don't make the MMO. I think they can iterate really nicely in the space they're in right now, and unchecked ambition to make an MMO has wrecked a lot of companies before.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly I hope they don't make the MMO. I think they can iterate really nicely in the space they're in right now, and unchecked ambition to make an MMO has wrecked a lot of companies before.

True. A expansion of what they have now, with more polish, 4 player co-op and a bigger world would be great.

Very good point. I'll support whatever they do next, but I would prefer a sequel focusing on co-op as well as deeper resource and scavenging mechanics, stronger storytelling, bows, a return of generators and a more tweaked and refined engine all set in a big city with numerous factions....

Dabanton

I sort of agree.

I'm thinking of games like APB.

But they've been planning this for a while lets see what they have.

I think a game like SoD offers a lot more leniency in terms of MMO aspirations.

I hope Steam version means that there won't be an extra layer of GFWL hidden underneath it

between that and Sandbox Mode, I'm really excited for this now

Phreaker

They totally deserve it. I've sold 3 copies just telling friends about it and none have been disappointed. One of the most fun XBLA games I've played.

Twinduct

Yes! Glad it's coming to steam (although would have bought it anywhere though). Steam Workshop would be insanely awesome for this!

Doffen

Absolutely. But I think that financial backing from Microsoft will go a long way to keep them alive during the development.

Spat_triate

I'm all over the PC version. The potential of mods and unofficial patches to fix the jankyness is just too hard to pass up.

charsace

I said this in the main thread. They need to iterate on this. They could still make a downloadable sequel that is bigger and sell it for $40.

Top Bottom