• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 500k fastest selling original game ever on XBLA, Steam version coming

Zia

I feel as if I've been living under a rock. Did this launch during E3 or something? Anyway, the sandbox mode sounds amazing and I'll be picking this up whenever it hits Steam.

FACE

Banned
GSC and Action Forms too. Still, things seem to be getting better in that regard. Word of mouth usually carries a good game to good sales these days so long as the game isn't bloated cinematic fare.

GSC is an odd case because the STALKER series sold really well.

demidar

I feel as if I've been living under a rock. Did this launch during E3 or something? Anyway, the sandbox mode sounds amazing and I'll be picking this up whenever it hits Steam.

Launched before on XBLA, has an excellent concept (open world zombie game about surviving, manually rescue and control survivors, scavenge for food, create your base in any building) though the execution is a bit janky so I hear. Still the strength of the concept makes the game sound extremely enticing, we're just waiting on a Steam release.

The thing is, XBLA policy means pushing a Title Update costs money (around $40k according to Tim Schafer*), and for an indie company, that means each TU should fix as many bugs as possible, to avoid unnecessary spending. That means testing and testing and reading a bazillion bug reports and try to replicate each one and more testing, and that takes time.

*http://www.hookshotinc.com/interview-schafers-millions/

BUT, with unofficial patches, there's no money issue, so they can fix things one by one, in order of importance.

MS own the IP and are the publisher. Surely they wouldn't charge Undead Labs for patches?

Kydd BlaZe

Had a blast with this game, despite the bugs and overall jank. Definitely the best zombie game I've ever played, issues and all. This franchise has a ton of potential, and I really have high hopes for Class4. Really glad to see this game doing so well.

PC players are definitely in for a treat once this game finally hits Steam.

sangreal

The thing is, XBLA policy means pushing a Title Update costs money (around $40k according to Tim Schafer*), and for an indie company, that means each TU should fix as many bugs as possible, to avoid unnecessary spending. That means testing and testing and reading a bazillion bug reports and try to replicate each one and more testing, and that takes time.

*http://www.hookshotinc.com/interview-schafers-millions/

BUT, with unofficial patches, there's no money issue, so they can fix things one by one, in order of importance.

40k is nothing to a big game; the 40k comment was just a general non-specific comment about closed markets consoles; the game is owned and published by MS.

Also, the first title update is free

Top Bottom